Union and Liberty: An American TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it was the American "adventurers" who had established the trading posts, did they get compensation from the US government? I'm assuming the territory is now government-administered, making it a colony.

In any case, great update! Keep up the good work!
As the Congo River is treated as an international waterway, some of them can still trade on the waters. The ones that are no longer able to were given compensation.

This is turning into a Frenchwank!

One thing I don't get is how the US were awarded the land on the mouth of the Congo. As the Belgians seem to own the OTL French Congo, this seems to be making it extremely hard for the French to get goods in and out of their colony.
The Belgians don't own all the OTL French Congo, just the area around Cabinda. There's still plenty of room for a railway from Libreville to one of the river ports.

I think the Euros just made a big mistake giving the USA the Congo that place comes with a sorts of diseases like colonial fever.:D
This late in the colonial game, I'm not sure how much difference it will make. But the US could get even hungrier in the Americas and if a big war happens, they may want some colonial spoils. ;)

Great update wilcox! I keep getting these urges to map for everyone, but I soon realise I don't actually have the capability to at the moment :rolleyes:
Lol. I have a map sorta ready with most of the ideas I had which should clear some ambiguities up. I should be able to post it tomorrow after I get home.

Here's the map of the claims in Central Africa as of ~1895 as a result of the Congo Conference. The blue and red striped area is disputed by Britain and France. OTL African borders are lightly overlaid to give some comparison.

U&L Central Africa.png

This is turning into a Frenchwank!

I think it is more of a British anti-wank. It all started with Britain antagonizing the US. The Oregon War, the Boer Independence, then the Second Napoleonic War, Irish Famine, etc. France is filling in the power vacum.

Here's the map of the claims in Central Africa as of ~1895 as a result of the Congo Conference. The blue and red striped area is disputed by Britain and France. OTL African borders are lightly overlaid to give some comparison.

Great map Wilcox, its really helpful. And great update as well. On the map, though does Germany have a larger portion of East Africa? They seem to getting all the way to Kenya there.

I think it is more of a British anti-wank. It all started with Britain antagonizing the US. The Oregon War, the Boer Independence, then the Second Napoleonic War, Irish Famine, etc. France is filling in the power vacum.

I agree. A lot of people dont realize that there was a lot of potential for France to become an as big a colonial power as the UK, even if not as efficient.

Great map Wilcox, its really helpful. And great update as well. On the map, though does Germany have a larger portion of East Africa? They seem to getting all the way to Kenya there.
Yeah, Germany owns more of East Africa. I'm planning on having them colonize all the way up the Somali coast.

I've figured out how the Modern Papal Schism will be solved. Now to decide on when the solution will be worked out. Also, I should have a new update done early next week. Haven't had much time to work on the TL over spring break, but I'll get something done once I get back to DC on Sunday.

I've figured out how the Modern Papal Schism will be solved. Now to decide on when the solution will be worked out. Also, I should have a new update done early next week. Haven't had much time to work on the TL over spring break, but I'll get something done once I get back to DC on Sunday.

Cool, looking forward to it.

This strikes me as a strange reversal; frequently updating during term, but not having the time in the breaks… Is America like this everywhere?

This strikes me as a strange reversal; frequently updating during term, but not having the time in the breaks… Is America like this everywhere?
No, it's just me. I've been hanging out with high school friends and sleeping in a lot during the break, while I use the timeline to procrastinate on my homework. :D

Its funny because I have the same exact situation. Always doing the updates during school, never during holidays. Its a nice break from school doing updates.

No, it's just me. I've been hanging out with high school friends and sleeping in a lot during the break, while I use the timeline to procrastinate on my homework. :D

Well, that doesn't sound bad either. I hope you had a good time, and that we may soon read some more of this awesome TL.

Hmmm, would it be too late to reasonably have any Hungarian colonies in Africa? Just looked at an early draft of my plan for Africa and realized I had some A-H possessions and am trying to decide what to do with them now.

Hmmm, would it be too late to reasonably have any Hungarian colonies in Africa? Just looked at an early draft of my plan for Africa and realized I had some A-H possessions and am trying to decide what to do with them now.

Much too late. Hapsburg colonies is effectively impossible after the Austro-Hungarian split anyway - it's far too costly and diplomatically problematic an operation to be successful. Think about it; the separate Austrian and Hungarian colonial offices controlling the same colonies and having to agree on every policy; recipe for disaster.

Much too late. Hapsburg colonies is effectively impossible after the Austro-Hungarian split anyway - it's far too costly and diplomatically problematic an operation to be successful. Think about it; the separate Austrian and Hungarian colonial offices controlling the same colonies and having to agree on every policy; recipe for disaster.
Since the Dual Compromise never happened and the Habsburgs fell, the issues with Austro-Hungarian administration of colonies are dealt with. In update 62, I detailed the fall of the Austrian Empire and the rise of Hungary and other countries out of it. I'm just not sure if it would be plausible for this Hungary to have colonial ambitions in Africa (maybe as extensions of Magyarisation or as a place to send Croats to?)

Since the Dual Compromise never happened and the Habsburgs fell, the issues with Austro-Hungarian administration of colonies are dealt with. In update 62, I detailed the fall of the Austrian Empire and the rise of Hungary and other countries out of it. I'm just not sure if it would be plausible for this Hungary to have colonial ambitions in Africa (maybe as extensions of Magyarisation or as a place to send Croats to?)

I could be possible, if Hungary has access to the sea they could get a small colony somewhere in west Africa.

Boy. I've missed a lot :eek:. Right, well in that case - can Hungary get out of the Mediterranean? That's the first thing you have to think about. Does Hungary have a navy with an able merchant fleet and the capability to defend said fleet to get goods in and out of the Mediterranean?

Forgive me for a stupid question, but does Italy exist as a polticial entity in your TL? As I said, I've missed a lot and haven't had much time to catch up. If it doesn't, would Hungary be capable of taking Libya (that would be cool ;)).

I'm just not sure if it would be plausible for this Hungary to have colonial ambitions in Africa (maybe as extensions of Magyarisation or as a place to send Croats to?)

I could be possible, if Hungary has access to the sea they could get a small colony somewhere in west Africa.

Agreed a tiny colony in west Africa is a plausibility. But I think they have a lot more problems to take care of at home. Just send the Croats to the US, or California maybe Brazil or Argentina. Much cheaper than setting up a colony in Africa.

Oooh wait... Argentina is toast in TTL but Brazil stayed neutral in the Platine War, so my guess is that the monarchy might last longer and Brazil is relatively stable when compared to OTL, it might make a good place for immigrants.

A Croat enclave in Brazil would be something rather cool.

Boy. I've missed a lot :eek:. Right, well in that case - can Hungary get out of the Mediterranean? That's the first thing you have to think about. Does Hungary have a navy with an able merchant fleet and the capability to defend said fleet to get goods in and out of the Mediterranean?

Forgive me for a stupid question, but does Italy exist as a polticial entity in your TL? As I said, I've missed a lot and haven't had much time to catch up. If it doesn't, would Hungary be capable of taking Libya (that would be cool ;)).
Hehe, I completely understand if you've missed some things. I keep having to look back through the TL as well to keep track of everything, like while working on the next update today, I had to go back and see who I'd said were presidents of France because I couldn't remember. :D

Italy does exist in TTL. Hungary does have a bit of a navy since they have (most of) Dalmatia, although they have a bit of an issue with ports since Italy is supporting the Adriatic League. And I was actually thinking of a Hungarian colony in Libya. ;)

Agreed a tiny colony in west Africa is a plausibility. But I think they have a lot more problems to take care of at home. Just send the Croats to the US, or California maybe Brazil or Argentina. Much cheaper than setting up a colony in Africa.

Oooh wait... Argentina is toast in TTL but Brazil stayed neutral in the Platine War, so my guess is that the monarchy might last longer and Brazil is relatively stable when compared to OTL, it might make a good place for immigrants.

A Croat enclave in Brazil would be something rather cool.
Hmmm, so the candidates for Hungarian colonies right now are a section of Libya or a small section in West Africa (probably in OTL Mauritania). And Brazil does sound like an interesting place for a Croat enclave.

Italy does exist in TTL. Hungary does have a bit of a navy since they have (most of) Dalmatia, although they have a bit of an issue with ports since Italy is supporting the Adriatic League. And I was actually thinking of a Hungarian colony in Libya. ;)

A Hungarian Cyrenaica would be kinda cool. Who are the members of the Adriatic League btw? Couldn't Hungary join it?. They have ports in the Adriatic so they qualify.

Status
Not open for further replies.