Twilight of the Red Tsar

Status
Not open for further replies.
63202481.jpg
Hey, I had a opening.

Plus, my boss's mother in law, well, late mother in law, was from Ukraine.

Just another update. I think there could very well be two stages of the Second Russian Civil War, maybe even a 3rd Russian Civil War.

The OTL analogue are the Congo Wars. The first one involved the toppling of a dictatorship (in this case, Mobutu and the Zairian state), while the second one was a bedlam between different ethnic and national groups that competed for resources.

The first part of the Second Russian civil war is going to consist of the rebellion against the Soviet state. These rebels, like Kabila OTL, will receive covert aid in their quest to topple a ruthless regime. Of course, you could also include the revolts against the Soviet-backed Eastern European states, and the breakaway of the SSRs in the war too. By 1970 or so, the Soviet regime will have been toppled.

The second stage of the Russian Civil War, however, consists of the unleashing of ethnic tensions in the former Soviet Union. The new Russian government may fail to address these tensions. This could be series of small scale wars in the Baltic states, the Caucasus, Central Asia, and potentially Ukraine, but altogether, they destabilize the Russian government.

Unfortunately, the American government will largely ignore this conflict, considering the fall of communism means Russia is no longer a priority (except for the dismantling of nukes), and because of the coming oil conflict means the world's attention will be directed to the Middle East.

Just another update. I think there could very well be two stages of the Second Russian Civil War, maybe even a 3rd Russian Civil War.

The OTL analogue are the Congo Wars. The first one involved the toppling of a dictatorship (in this case, Mobutu and the Zairian state), while the second one was a bedlam between different ethnic and national groups that competed for resources.

The first part of the Second Russian civil war is going to consist of the rebellion against the Soviet state. These rebels, like Kabila OTL, will receive covert aid in their quest to topple a ruthless regime. Of course, you could also include the revolts against the Soviet-backed Eastern European states, and the breakaway of the SSRs in the war too. By 1970 or so, the Soviet regime will have been toppled.

The second stage of the Russian Civil War, however, consists of the unleashing of ethnic tensions in the former Soviet Union. The new Russian government may fail to address these tensions. This could be series of small scale wars in the Baltic states, the Caucasus, Central Asia, and potentially Ukraine, but altogether, they destabilize the Russian government.

Unfortunately, the American government will largely ignore this conflict, considering the fall of communism means Russia is no longer a priority (except for the dismantling of nukes), and because of the coming oil conflict means the world's attention will be directed to the Middle East.

So like how Saddam's antics distracted from the Yugoslav wars?

Last edited:
I'm not sure. The West's OTL disinterest with the conflict was a lack of strategic rather than anything Saddam Hussein was doing. But maybe you know better than me?

There was a strategic disinterest however I do feel that it was only noticed after the Gulf War by the media as happing.

So, where are the Soviet government at this point? Some city? Some constantly moving train or something?

Wouldn't want to be an Occupational Russian Soldier in the Warsaw Pact by now, since every moderately intelligent rebel will go full out knowing they'll never get this opportunity again.

I presume the Nukes are still controlled by the Loyalists?
The Soviet government has moved to Stalingrad. Currently the nuke situation is somewhat in flux. Some nuclear units joined the rebels, some stayed loyal, and some of those on both sides are stuck in the middle of enemy territory (such as loyalist nukes in the Far East).

Also, could someone help me make a map of the current situation in the USSR?

The Soviet government has moved to Stalingrad. Currently the nuke situation is somewhat in flux. Some nuclear units joined the rebels, some stayed loyal, and some of those on both sides are stuck in the middle of enemy territory (such as loyalist nukes in the Far East).

Also, could someone help me make a map of the current situation in the USSR?

Doesn't its proximity to the Caucuses make it vulnerable to LFI and others in the region?

Doesn't its proximity to the Caucuses make it vulnerable to LFI and others in the region?
To a certain extent it does, but as one of the largest cities still under Soviet control (and one with Stalin's name on it) it makes the most sense. There really aren't a lot of places in the USSR that are completely safe from attack.

To a certain extent it does, but as one of the largest cities still under Soviet control (and one with Stalin's name on it) it makes the most sense. There really aren't a lot of places in the USSR that are completely safe from attack.

Out of curiosity, how the politburo managed to flee from Moscow? Did they saw the writing on the wall and flee beforehand?

Here's the current situation of the Soviet Civil War. I tried to be as faithful as possible to borders but rivers, specially that blasted Volga River, were a nightmare.

800px-Map_of_Russia_-_Samara_Oblast_(2008-03).svg (1).png

Ukraine_adm_location_map.svg.png

Last edited:
This is a good map, but there are a few minor details:

The Yenisei River empties into the Artic, so the areas to the east of that (that big red chunk in Northern Siberia) should be blue.

Central Asia should be red.

Could you make a map of the situation in the Caucasus?

J

Doubtfoul, between the revolt in east europe and the civil war in URSS, nobody can't ignore that a good chunk of eurasia is in a state of war with itself, expecially if there are nuclear weapon on the loose and the great risk to an expasion of the conflict and naturally the refugee crisis that will be almost apocalyptic.
NATO, EDC, all the neutrals will mobilize to secure the border, being alert in case of military unit near the border being a little too adventurous (basically look at what happened in Syria) and help the refugee wawe; what will be problematic will be any post-war settlement.
The second world war ended just 20 years ago, there are still people around that remember being chased out of their home and in any case the post-war settlement it's not fully solidiefied, so things can quickly become hotly (at least politically) between a lot of nation

Status
Not open for further replies.