TL-191: Filling the Gaps

I've been wondering if anyone planned on doing a European Theatre of the Second Great War for this... i had thought about it but wasn't sure if anyone else was doing it or would be interested in helping out

No one has. Craigo spoke a little about the eastern theater in his Lettow Vorbeck post. My Netherlands part III will be up in a few days and have something on the Western Front. I have a something in the pipeline for Heads of the German General Staff here is my lists of the Heads of staff.

German General Staff of the Great War (1916–1918)
  • Erich von Falkenhayn September 1914–August 1916
  • Paul von Hindenburg August 1916– July 1918
  • Erich Ludendorff July 1918– July 1923
German General Staff Interwar Period (1918–1941)
  • Max Hoffmann July 1923– July 1927
  • Hans von Seeckt July 1927– October 1930
  • Werner von Blomberg October 1930– September 1934
  • Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord 30 September 1934– October 1930
Staff of the Army High Command (OKH) (1941–1945)
  • Ludwig Beck September 1938–24 September 1942
  • Fritz Todt 24 September 1942–10 June 1944

Either way I would love to see what u have.

Last edited:
Frank Knox (1874-1944)

William Franklin "Frank" Knox was born on January 1st (New Year's Day), 1874 in Boston, Massachusetts to Sarah Collings Barnard Knox and William E. Knox. Both of his parents were Canadian. His mother Sarah was from Charlottetown, the capital of Prince Edward Island and his father William was from New Brunswick.

In 1881, when Knox was only seven years old, the Second Mexican War broke out after the United States declared war on the Confederate States over the latter's annexation of the Mexican states of Sonora and Chihuahua. The Confederacy's allies of Great Britain and France declared war on the USA soon after. At first the war was a world away from the young Knox. As he recalled in his memoirs "Frank Knox: A Life Thus Far"; "At that young age, I remember hearing about the war and I knew it existed, but it all seemed so distant to me at that very young age." This all changed for the young Knox when the Royal Navy bombarded Boston in the summer of 1881. Though the Knox Family home was some distance from where the shells hit, the blast from the shells could still be felt from where the Knox home was located. As Knox states in his memoirs; "I could feel the ground and walls of my house shacking. I, only a young child, was simply terrified. Within minutes of the beginning of the Royal Navy bombing, our family packed up the essentials and fled the city. I must have cried the whole time we were running away to the outskirts of the city, just one out of so many others looking for safer ground away from the range of the Royal Navy's guns." The event had a major impact upon the young Knox. It taught him for the first time the horrors of what war must be and also ingrained in him a sense of patriotism and pride for his home-country, the United States of America. This is somewhat ironic considering both of Knox's parents were Canadian and the USA and Canada were at war with one another during the Second Mexican War. Nevertheless, by all accounts, Knox's parents were truly loyal to their adoptive home-country of the United States of America.

After the British bombardment of Boston ended, the Knox family went back to their home, which luckily only suffered minor damage, and collected the rest of their belongings. After that, the Knox family sold their Boston home and moved inland to the city of Chicopee. It was while living in his new home in Chicopee that Knox first heard of Theodore Roosevelt and George Armstrong Custer's victory over Charles "Chinese" Gordon at the Battle of the Teton in Montana Territory. The battle fascinated the young Knox due to the amazing and selfless heroism displayed by both Roosevelt and Custer, and for their country no less. As a result, growing up, the young Knox's heroes were none other than Theodore Roosevelt and George Armstrong Custer. This idolization of the two would eventually inspire Knox to seek a career in the military.

In 1882, the Second Mexican War ended in American, and Knox, only eight years old, was very much saddened by his countries loss in the war. Nevertheless, the young Knox soon had reason to be happy again. That October, his family moved to Lansing, the capital of Michigan, to seek new opportunities. It was there that is father found work as a grocery store owner, and the family's fortunes began to rise again. It was also in Lansing that Knox lived and grew up throughout his teenage years. Knox first became interested in politics during his later years at high school. The adolescent Knox began to drift towards the Republican Party and their ideology supporting civil service reform, bimetallism, and moderate militarization and armed forces reform. In 1892, after graduating High School, Knox, now eighteen, became a member of the Republican Party. That same year, Knox was selected to serve in the military. While Knox was disappointed that he would have to put any sort of political career on hold, he was proud none the less to be serving in the US Armed Forces.

Knox would end up serving two years in the US Army as an infantryman and another eight years in the reserves. During his years in the reserves, Knox admits in his memoirs that "a good part of me, an adventurous young man, wanted to see military action. I not only wanted to see action for the sake of action, but I also wanted to do it to serve my country. I thought my chance came in '95 over Haiti, then again in '97 over Nicaragua, but I was wrong on both accounts. In a way I was glad our country wasn't involved in some useless war, but nevertheless I had an itching for adventure." Knox's golden opportunity would eventually come during his fifth year in the reserves, that year being 1899, the same year Knox changed his name to "Frank" from "William Franklin". On October 11th, 1899, Great Britain invaded the Boer Republics of the Orange Free State and South African Republic. Thus, the Second Boer War (1899-1902) began. This immediately strained Anglo-American relations, with the American public, Knox included, supported the Boer Republics. One man in particular, Knox's childhood hero Theodore Roosevelt, was the biggest critic of Britain's actions against the Boers and the staunchest supporter of the Boer Republic's fight against Britain. When President Mahan refused to give any government sanctioned aid to the Boers, Roosevelt formed the Stuyvesant Brigade on October 30th, 1899. The Stuyvesant Brigade was named after Peter Stuyvesant (1612-1672), the last governor of the Dutch Colony of New Nederland and a significant figure in the early history New York, in honor of the United States' shared Dutch Heritage with the beleaguered Boers. The Stuyvesant Brigade was set up as a regiment of irregular cavalry modeled on Roosevelt's Unauthorized Regiment of the Second Mexican War, though Roosevelt would not personally lead the regiment. On November 6th, 1899, a week after the brigade was established, Knox, seeing his opportunity for military service, action and experience, joined the Stuyvesant Brigade while he was stationed in New York City. On November 24th, 1899, Knox and the rest of the Stuyvesant Brigade left New York City for the Boer Republics. The ship carrying the Stuyvesant Brigade rounded the Cape of Good Hope and landed in Lourenço Marques, the capital of Portuguese Mozambique/East Africa, as Portugal was neutral in the Boer War. From there the Brigade marched inland to Pretoria, the capital of the South Africa Republic, also known as the Transvaal Republic, arriving in the city on November 30th. From there the Brigade was sent off the front-lines. While in the Stuyvesant Brigade, Knox fought alongside Boer General Louis Botha at the Battle of Colenso on December 15th, 1899. Knox also saw action at the battles of Vaal Krantz (February 5th-7th, 1900) and Sanna's Post (March 31st, 1900). At the Battle of Witpoort on July 16th, 1900, Knox, serving alongside fellow Stuyvesant Brigade member Frederick Russell Burnham, was shot in the shoulder by the a British soldier. As a result, Knox was sent away from the battle to a Boer military hospital, and would spend the next few months there (Burnham meanwhile retreated along with much of the rest of the Boers). Knox eventually returned to the frontlines after healing and fought in the Battle of Battle of Leliefontein on November 7th, 1900. At the Second Battle of Elands River on September 17th, 1901, Knox and and a number of other Stuyvesant Brigade members, fighting alongside Boer General and future South African Prime Minister Jan Smuts, were taken prisoner by the victorious British Army. Knox spent the remainder of the war, eight months, in a POW camp outside of Cape Town. He, along with many other brigade members, was finally released in June of 1902, thanks to the masterful negotiating of Adelbert Hay, the US ambassador the Boer Republics. As a result, Knox returned to New York City a hero, and took part in a parade welcoming home the members of the Stuyvesant Brigade on June 30th, 1902. Knox, proud of his service in the Brigade and proud of his fighting British aggression against the Boers, remained in the reserves until October of 1902.

Knox continued to live in New York until January of 1903, when he decided to move back to his adoptive hometown of Lansing, Michigan. There he kept a low profile, until October of 1903, when, still a member of the Republican Party, Knox became a newspaper reporter for a local Republican Newspaper, The Lansing Herald. While writing for The Lansing Herald, Knox wrote a number of articles supporting Republican President hopeful William Jennings Bryan during the 1904 election, as well articles supporting Philander Knox (no relation) during the 1908 election. In 1910, Knox became editor and chief of The Lansing Herald. During his time as editor and chief, Knox would support 1912 Republican Presidential hopeful Gilbert Hitchcock.

It was also during Knox's time as editor and chief that the Great War broke out and came to North America in August of 1914. Knox, despite being a Republican, supported his childhood hero President Theodore Roosevelt and his and Democrat's decision to go to war against the Confederate States, Great Britain, Canada and the rest of the Entente Powers. Though Knox was forty years old when the war broke out, he decided it was his patriotic duty to serve his country in the war by re-joining the military. As a result, Knox left his post as editor and chief and rejoined the army on October 1st, 1914. During the entirety of the war, Knox served as an artillery officer, in the Susquehanna Front from 1914-1916 and on the Kentucky Front from 1916-1917. It was during this latter service that Frank Knox meet for the first and only time his old childhood hero General George Armstrong Custer. Knox would later recall feeling very much humbled in Custer's presence, and would note Custer's pride when Knox told him he had been one of his hero's as a child.

After the war ended, Knox returned to his job as a newspaper man and the editor and chief of the The Lansing Herald. He continued in this capacity until 1919 when he became owner of the newspaper. He would end up owning the The Lansing Herald for another two and a half-years. That came to an end in the autumn of 1921, when Knox sold the paper and decided to pursue a career in politics. As it would turn out, Knox would prove to have a successful political career. He was elected to the Michigan Senate as a Republican in the Michigan Senate elections in November of 1922. He would serve in the Michigan senate for another decade, until he was elected Governor of Maine under the banner of the Republican Party in 1930, and was inaugurated as much on January 1st, 1931 (which also happened to be Knox's 57th birthday). As governor, Knox was known for supporting public works programs, which in turn gave many new jobs to the citizens of Michigan. At the 1932 Republican National Convention in Detroit, Knox put his hat in the ring as one of the many Republican hopefuls for the Presidency, using his time so far as Michigan governor and his record in the US Army and the Stuyvesant Brigade to help garner support for his campaign. He lost on the second ballot and eventually lost to war hero and fellow newspaper publisher Robert R. McCormick. While Knox was disappointed at this turn of events, he nevertheless supported McCormick's run for the Presidency. Knox was once again a presidential hopeful at the 1936 Republican National Convention in Portland, Oregon. He came closer to getting the nomination this time around, but lost to Alf Landon. Once again, Knox supported the conventions victor, this time said victor being Alf Landon.

Knox continued to serve as Governor of Michigan until January 1st, 1937, his 63rd birthday. After that he moved back to Lansing with his wife Annie Reid Knox. Soon after, Knox re-purchased The Lansing Herald. During his second ownership of The Lansing Herald, Knox wrote a number of articles critical of President Al Smith, who Knox admits he once luck-warmly supported, over his policy of Appeasement towards the Confederate States. He called the 1940 Kentucky and Houston Plebiscites "grave, dangerous errors which would only embolden that mad-man Featherson and his band of murderous thugs." Knox also wrote a number of articles supporting the buildup and preparedness of the US Armed forces in the wake of Confederate rearmament. In one article, Knox refereed to a "Second Great War" as "only inevitable".

Knox would prove right when on June 22nd, 1941, the Confederate States invaded the United States, and Britain, France and Russia did likewise in regards to Germany. Despite Knox's criticizing of Al Smith, President Smith greatly respected Knox for his journalistic honesty and bravery in the US Army during GWI and in the Stuyvesant Brigade during the Second Boer War. As a result on July 1st, 1940, President Smith, in an effort to garner tri-partisan support for American's war effort, appointed Knox Secretary of the Navy. Knox publicly admitted it was a cabinet position he was honored to have, and moved right away to Philadelphia to conduct his new duties. During his time as Secretary of the Navy, Knox, among other things, oversaw the general progress and buildup of the US Navy in both the Atlantic and Pacific Naval theaters of GWII. Knox also oversaw the commission of a number of new naval vessels and traveled extensively to Navy installations worldwide, on both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts of the USA and in Haiti, Liberia, Ireland, Germany and Denmark.

In 1941, Frank Knox was one of the many attendants of Al Smith's funeral in Philadelphia.

Sadly, Knox never lived to see the end of the Second Great War. Suffering from a series of heart attacks, he died on April 28th, 1944 at the age of 70. On July 20th, 1944, almost three months after his death, he was finally buried with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery. The Gearing-class Destroyer USS Frank Knox , commissioned in January, 1945, was named in his honor. Knox also posthumously received the Medal for Merit from President Thomas Dewey on April 28th, 1945, the one year anniversary of his death.

Last edited:
Alright guys, my next article will be on the 1885 Confederate presidential election. However I need some help on some things. I need help on what the main issues of the election would be. What would be the Whig's platform? What would Rufus W. Cobb's independent's platform be? For one thing, the Whigs would be supported by the planter elite, would support a strong standing CS Army and continuing ties with Britain and France. Other than that, I'm not 100% sure. I need more ideas.

Alright guys, my next article will be on the 1885 Confederate presidential election. However I need some help on some things. I need help on what the main issues of the election would be. What would be the Whig's platform? What would Rufus W. Cobb's independent's platform be? For one thing, the Whigs would be supported by the planter elite, would support a strong standing CS Army and continuing ties with Britain and France. Other than that, I'm not 100% sure. I need more ideas.

The Main Issue in 1885 is going to be over the Manusmission amendment and the Second Mexican War. I think thats why Jackson was selected. The amendment is pretty unpopular, to the point where Wade Hampton was talking about a coup against Longstreet. I think Longstreet thinks that either the next president will try to roll it back and states will try to nullify it. Many in the CSA would be willing to for go the alliance with Britain and France if they can keep slavery.

Longstreet talks Jackson into running, because he is the only figure with the gravitas to keep the manumission program on schedule. Jackson reluctantly agrees to run because he sees how victory in a war with the US is only possible with French and British help. Nothing can be allowed to jeapordize the alliance, not even slavery.

Many might be angry with Longstreet's handling of the War. He primarily kept the CSA on the defensive. Probably more than one politician thinks they could have run the war better or maybe could have imposed a more draconian peace.

From 1879 election post it looks like Longstreet is a big promoter of industrialization, the countries Industrialist are probably going to support Jackson.I think the real tension in the party is between the old planters and the new industrialists. I'm not sure where Cobb would come in on that Birmingham is the center of the south's steel industry, not sure how reform minded he was.

Other big issue:
  • the US looks like it will adopt peace time conscription, should the CSA?
  • What kind of compensation is owed to slave owners/how much.
  • defense issues involving the importation of weapons, how much should be produced domestically? Can the CS government constitutionally do anything to spur domestic weapons production.
  • Issues relating to the Apaches in Sonora and Chihuahua
  • Growing Hispanic influence with the addition of the new states
  • How else can the CSA expand in Latin America?
  • infrasturcture issues in the new states
  • is it constitutional to use confederate funds to build a port at Guyamas
  • Navy issues, US is rebuilding their navy, what kind of navy should the CS build?
  • Laws forbidding Slave and Negroes from working in factories
  • Should the CSA have a Department of Agriculture?

Either way I would love to see what u have.

Well from what I've observed, it looks like Turtledove envisioned the Anglo-French thrust into Germany similar to Operation Barbarossa so I imagine three seperate thrusts, a pure French one into Alsace-Lorraine, and two Anglo-French thrusts, a southern one into Luxembourg and a northern one straight into Belgium.

The primary French attack goes well until they get to the Rhine River, where the German Army is able to perform a retreat in order across and deny the French any access across it.

The assault through Belgium is aided by the Belgians themselves, who have sabotaged parts of the Hermann Line, or else gave the French and British Intelligence on it to beat parts of it that were weaker. Aided by the Belgians the Entente forces were able to pierce straight across the country, and, with their border mostly unfortified, able to bypass the remainder part of the Hermann Line by assaulting directly into the Netherlands. Although they are modern, the combined Entente assault is too much for the Dutch Army to handle as the German Army is occupied defending further west, and attempting to shore up the situation in the east.

I envisioned a more successful version of Operation Market Garden which allowed the British to aid in gaining quick passage through the Netherlands, and secure a route directly to the north german plain.

I've got more, but just let me know, if what I've got so far makes sense.

bguy

Donor

Tariffs would likely be a major issue. With the Whigs wanting to maintain a large army, and the CSA presumably having extensive war debts and having to compensate slave owners for emancipation, the Confederates will need to further raise their tariffs on both imports and exports to raise the necessary revenue. This might split the Whig Party though. The pro-industry Whigs will like the tariff hikes because it will provide protection for Confederate industry. The Whigs that value the alliance with Britain though will oppose tariff hikes, since a high tariff is going to antagonize the British. And the rural Whigs will dislike the tariff because it will make things more expensive for them, while cutting into their cotton exports. Jackson seems like he would be a national security Whig, so I would imagine him supporting a high tariff for revenue purposes against the United States and most other countries, but giving Britain and France a much lower tariff rate (which would help maintain the alliance with them but at the cost of giving Confederate industry much less protection.) Cobb could then either be a pro-industrialist (who would favor high tariffs on all nations, including Britain and France so as to maximum revenue and protection for Confederate industry), or a pro-agrarian (who would want to keep tariffs low on all nations.)

Another issue might be the building of a Confederate trans-continental railroad (which seems to have been the impetus for the Confederates buying Sonora and Chihuahua.) The Confederate constitution prohibits the CSA government from subsidizing internal improvements to facilitate commerce, but pro-railroad Whigs might be able to get around that by pulling an Eisenhower and claiming the railroad is for national defense rather than to facilitate commerce.

a question about the Whigs, when are they meant to be formed? what is the pre 1879 history of the party?

I cant see Jeff Davis being a whig, as under the US he was a democrat, and had spent his entire political career fighting the whigs, suddenly joining/forming a party with that very same name

personally I like the idea of CS presidents 1861-1880 being de facto democrats/former democrats, with Longstreet forming the whig party prior to his election in 1879, although im not sure whether this would fit in with TL-191

a question about the Whigs, when are they meant to be formed? what is the pre 1879 history of the party?

I cant see Jeff Davis being a whig, as under the US he was a democrat, and had spent his entire political career fighting the whigs, suddenly joining/forming a party with that very same name

personally I like the idea of CS presidents 1861-1880 being de facto democrats/former democrats, with Longstreet forming the whig party prior to his election in 1879, although im not sure whether this would fit in with TL-191
Didn't Featherston mention Davis was a Whig during one of his speeches? Or was that more like Davis was later identified with Whigs liked Washington with Federalists.

Hi. Longtime Lurker, Firstime poster

I came up with a list of possible Confederate Secretaries of State. Those named in the books are used, and I came up with the rest. Let me know what you guys think. I'm also halfway through Secretaries of War if you're interested.

Secretaries of State:

Robert Toombs (1861-1861)
Robert M.T. Hunter (1861-1862)
Judah P. Benjamin (1862-1868)
Alexander H. Stephens (1868-1874)
Ambrose Dudley Mann (1874-1880)
James D. Porter (1880-1886)
Richard Snowden Andrews (1886-1892)
William Fearn (1892-1898)
John Tyler Morgan (1898-1904)
Braxton Bragg II (1904-1910)*(Fictional)
Wade Hampton V (1910-1916)
Henry D. Flood (1916-1921)*Died in Office
Claude A. Swanson (1921-1922)
Alben W. Barkley (1922-1928)
Daniel C. Roper (1928-1934)
Clyde Barrow (1934-1937)*Removed From Office Following Attempted Coup
George Herbet Walker (1937-1944)*Position abolished

I came up with a list of possible Confederate Secretaries of State. Those named in the books are used, and I came up with the rest. Let me know what you guys think. I'm also halfway through Secretaries of War if you're interested.

First, welcome and congrats on your first post.

Second, I like this list, and it does seem pretty solid. But I don't remember Hampton being Confederate Secretary of State - it's been a while since I read the books, and I feel that it would have been mentioned if he was, but then again my memory might be failing me, so correct me if I'm wrong. Other than that, seems pretty good for now, though we should discuss this.

I don't remember Hampton being Secretary either. I just felt that it fit the whole Confederate tradition of Generals being in Government.

Secretaries of State:

Robert Toombs (1861-1861)
Robert M.T. Hunter (1861-1862)
Judah P. Benjamin (1862-1868)
Alexander H. Stephens (1868-1874)
Ambrose Dudley Mann (1874-1880)
James D. Porter (1880-1886)
Richard Snowden Andrews (1886-1892)
William Fearn (1892-1898)
John Tyler Morgan (1898-1904)
Braxton Bragg II (1904-1910)*(Fictional)
Wade Hampton V (1910-1916)
Henry D. Flood (1916-1921)*Died in Office
Claude A. Swanson (1921-1922)
Alben W. Barkley (1922-1928)
Daniel C. Roper (1928-1934)
Clyde Barrow (1934-1937)*Removed From Office Following Attempted Coup
George Herbet Walker (1937-1944)*Position abolished

Welcome and Good list. Me and Craigo have Wade Hampton V being the Commander of the Army of Northern Virginia until 1916. Craigo mentions this in his list of Great War commanders. I say this in my Gabriel Semmes Bio. I also had Morgan as Secretary of State during States Rights Gist Administration, as he pushed for the Canal and the Nicaraguan Crises happened during his Presidency. As for the Whig Party there was a debate after Craigo put up his 1879 election. I imagine that alot of the earlier presidents later identified as Whigs. One of us should get around to writing an article on the origins of the Whig party and the Radical Liberals. Maybe Zoidberg will hit it in his election series. ;)

Last edited:
I also went back and realized that Clyde Barrow's birth date was much later than I thought. I came up with it after reading the 'bio' of Al Capone some pages back, but: oh well!

Didn't Featherston mention Davis was a Whig during one of his speeches? Or was that more like Davis was later identified with Whigs liked Washington with Federalists.

im not sure, as I said, my tl-191 knowledge is a little rusty

has someone done a history of the whig party yet? if not, can someone do that?

what about lists of state governors? Virginia? Texas?

bguy

Donor
Welcome and Good list. Me and Craigo have Wade Hampton V being the Commander of the Army of Northern Virginia until 1916. Craigo mentions this in his list of Great War commanders. I say this in my Gabriel Semmes Bio. I also had Morgan as Secretary of State during States Rights Gist Administration, as he pushed for the Canal and the Nicaraguan Crises happened during his Presidency.

Your Woodrow Wilson entry also listed Thomas Watt Gregory as the Confederate Secretary of State at the start of the First Great War. And Craigo's 1873 Confederate presidential election entries (both the original and the revised version) had John Breckenridge as the Confederate Secretary of State that year. (Breckenridge is also referenced as having negotiated the Fugitive Slave Treaty with the US in 1869, so most likely he was Secretary of State for the entire Beauregard Administration.)

im not sure, as I said, my tl-191 knowledge is a little rusty

has someone done a history of the whig party yet? if not, can someone do that?

what about lists of state governors? Virginia? Texas?

No one has gotten around to a history of the Whig Party. Craigo's post on the 1879 election article has the party being organized by Longstreet before the 1879 election. Because the CSA had no party system, elections were pretty chaotic. Often with 5 or 6 candidates running in each election. To improve his own chances Longstreet called a meeting of the nations industrialists to a commerce convention in Atlanta (where he was the governor). Here is craigo's posts:

All of this weighed heavily on Governor James Longstreet. During his own campaign in Georgia he had not needed to face Brown, who had been sent to the Senate, and had instead defeated his former subordinate, John Gordon. Longstreet of course had presidential ambitions himself, but so did Governor Goode, General Morgan, Senator Semmes, Senator Hampton, and others. General-in-Chief Thomas Jackson appeared to be the only Confederate with no presidential designs at all. It seemed inevitable to Longstreet that the great men of the Confederacy would destroy themselves and elect Brown.

Any direct call for a national party to unite against Brown would have instantly brought unwanted attention down upon Longstreet and ruined his candidacy; so in good military fashion, he outflanked the problem. He asked his political supporter Richard Peters, the founder of Atlanta and one of the Confederacy’s wealthiest men, to suggest to James DeBow, editor of the influential DeBow’s Review, that their young country hold a convention of leading men for the “promotion of industry.” DeBow, who had spearheaded a similar convention thirty years before, jumped at the idea; it was even he suggested that Atlanta be the host, just as Longstreet had intended.

With the call echoed by such men as Kirby Smith, James Sloss, George Rains, and Joseph Anderson - the who’s who of Confederate industry - the Confederate Convention of Commerce met in Atlanta during the final week of June. It was a rousing success for the erstwhile “Whiggish” element of the South, who passed resolutions calling on Congress to raise the tariff from its current rate of 10%, fund railroad construction, and to charter a national bank.

The master stroke came on the final day of the convention. Peters, the chairman recognized Lucius Q. C. Lamar, Senator from Mississippi, who moved that the convention give its thanks and endorsement to its gracious host, James Longstreet (Lamar’s cousin by marriage). The happy delegates passed the motion by acclamation, news of the success spread quickly, and by the time the state nominating conventions began to assembly a few weeks later, Longstreet had become the man of the hour (and had burnished reputation as a cunning political warrior)

That is the closest we have on their origin. I argue that Featherston was making a simplification of the past. Probably most presidents before Longstreet later identified with the Whigs, may be not Davis. Featherston could have been over emphasizing the whigs stranghold on the presidency to get his point across. What ever that was.

No has done state governors for Texas or Virginia. give it a try. For people wanting to write articles, Zoidberg re-organized all the substantial articles and made a list here. That way you can cross reference with what came before. http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/doku.php/tl-191/filling_the_gaps

As for Secretary of War HT has Emmanuel Sellars being Wilson's Secretary of War. In my Semmes Bio he is kept on as Semmes Sec of War, but is fired over a disagreement between the two over allowing black soldiers to fight and get the vote. He is then replaced by Attorney General Carter Glass. Here is my Semmes Bio: https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=9738945&postcount=1060

For Jacksons Secretrary of War I was thinking E. Porter Alexander. In HFR he is Jackson's Chief of Artillery, in OTL he was a military innovator. I see him as the counter part to the US's Emory Upton. He parallels Upton and moves to reform the CS Army, modelling it on the French Army. He could go on to serve in the Gist administration as well. In my Lodge articles I explain how in responding to the Haitian crises the US mobilizes its army in Maryland rapidly (as an exercise). The CSA is caught off guard by the speed of the mobilization, throwing them into a panic and giving the War Deparmtent carte blanche to improve the army by any means necessary.

Last edited: