The Zombie Survival Guide

surely they'd sweep the area with military personell first, wouldn't they? they wouldn't compensate to the extinction of man kind

Well back to the spread of the virus. How many officers do you know that will shoot a person for acting "odd" they will not open fire until a weapon is used against them.So the zombie has atleast a chance at biteing one.Then he gose to the hospital or home where he dies and bites someone else. then those people go out into the night and bite someone else. Now what happens when one of those people gets on a plane? You can be anywhere within the hour.He bites them people on the plane the crash in some land then youve got another division in say a third world country.As for quarentine you have to admit atleast one or two will escape.Woul a nuke truely kill them?And what about the after effects of a nuke? the only weapon against the undead is knowledge of there actions and what to do in an invasion. Or i could just be ranting but hey im bored.

In reply to the sword fondlers, I'd go with a machete. Simply put, more weight behind the swing than a claymore, more useful in cramped areas (which would be where a zombie gets you- as you don't see it coming) than either, easier to carry, and I don't feel like an idiot carting it around. Also usefuil for hacking at undergrowth.

Either that or a broadsword...

Sidhetrilogy said:
regarding Byelgoransk, we've seen these types of things all throughout history... government cover-ups... they dont want us to know about these types of things because we "cant handle it". I'm a true believer of zombies, and theres nothing out there that'll change my mind.. i've been studying zombie accounts for almost 5 years now... and i'm only 16... i saw my first zombie film when i was 8 and ever since i've been hooked...

solanum i believe to be real, i've seen it in quite a few ancient medical texts. and although it causes humans to reanimate it can also be contracted by animals as well, though they dont reanimate... its a rare disease, like lepracy, or elephantitus. Theres fossilized record of Solanum...

Regarding my obsession with the undead:: Does anyone know where I can find Shaun of the Dead or Dawn Of the Dead movie poster? I've been looking for months at every theater and music store for them and i have yet to find them... Any information on this would help a great deal.... E-bay is a likely place but i dont trust online hosts with my credit card account...

Thanks all.

even though its written as a humor book, its so in depth. as for you that town in russia has never existed, i was so hooked on finding out. and theres no such records for that town ever existing even pre 1960. even though they could cover up all information, it'd be nearly impossible to confiscate all information regarding that town pre 1960 with all the atlas' and articles. but one part that is true about the book is the solanum virus. well.. its not really a virus as much as it is a poison which in found in a lot of plants and flowers, wont really harm you unless if you eat it. but no way can it kill and reanimate you. i thought the book was brilliant. i loved it. but one thing the book failed to do was mention how the musclar system could possible function. they did a good job with circulation and respiratory, but said nothing about the muscle system. as an anatomy major i'm 100% positive theres no way if your brain somehow was alive but dormant even after your dead if you only can harvess the power of your frontal lobe there would be no way for anyone to move their arms or legs let alone walk. but it is possible to temporarly bring someone back from dead with electricity only momentarily though. its not that i dont believe in zombies like they say "the absence of proof is not the proof of absence" but it is biologically impossible AT THE MOMENT though, i'm sure within a century or even decades there will be a way to bring someone back from the dead. thats all my information and opinions though.

Howdy Y'all,

Let's see,

The first George Romero film 'Night of the Living Dead" , the color remake of 'Night of the Living Dead' were shot in Pennsylvania. The sequel 'Dawn of the Dead' was shot in Italy. The first 'Day of the Dead' was shot in Florida, while the second 'Day of the Dead' (written by Romero) was shot in Bulgaria (see the IMdB). "Land of the Dead" (originally titled 'Dead Reconing') was shot in Canada.

From the 'Zombie Survival Guide' and 'World War Z' I have gleaned the following. The only sure way to destroy a Romero zombie is to destroy the brain. You can destroy the body to a great degree, even decapitation, and still leave a set of snapping jaws lying to chomp on someone's ankle. The Battle for Yonkers proved that all of the hi-tech weapons, including thermobaric weapons would not necessarily kill zombies. Zombies that had their lungs and trachea hanging out of their mouths from the negative pressure of the thermobaric weapons were up and walking shortly after the attack. Mines took off legs, rockets blew away body parts, but unless the brain was destroyed the dead came ahead, if all they could do was crawl.
Good weapons against the undead are semi-automatic carbines and pistols (provided you train well enough to produce head shots on moving targets), and scoped rifles. Close range weapons include machetes, hatchets, katanas, wakazashis, hammers, and the always useful crowbar.

If I was transported to the world of the Living Dead I would want my Savage Model 12 BVSS bolt action rifle in 7.62x51 with the 6x20 Nikon Monarch scope, and a lot of ammo (to stand off and hold a safe position, or shoot escape corridors if necessary), my Ruger Mini-30 in 7.62x39 with as much ammo with at least 6 20 round magazines, my Springfield Arsenal 'G.I. .45' and it's Wilson magazines, my Cold Steel Warrior Katana and it's matching Tanto. I have a good pack to carry the ammo, food, medic kit (I'm an EMT2), and two weeks of MREs, and a full camelback, and my mountain bike. If I get to take my 4x4 van the list of supplies is significantly multipied. I am part of a disaster team that was originally formed for the Y2K flop, but then bolstered by the Loma Prietta Earthquake, and we have a pre-arrainged rally point to the east, and an abandoned logging mill we plan to use as a temporary base if a major disaster causes the Bay Cities and the Central Vally to fall into Chaos. Our latest concern is that N. Korea may have nuclear capable missles that can reach San Francisco, producing a fallout plume that would spread directly over the Central Valley. Anything that stops the food resupply for three days, or the water supply for 48 hours will have these cities in open revolt. Not good! We are all ex-military/LEO and ex or current national lab workers, so we can rely on each other in a pinch. :)

even though its written as a humor book, its so in depth. as for you that town in russia has never existed, i was so hooked on finding out. and theres no such records for that town ever existing even pre 1960. even though they could cover up all information, it'd be nearly impossible to confiscate all information regarding that town pre 1960 with all the atlas' and articles. but one part that is true about the book is the solanum virus. well.. its not really a virus as much as it is a poison which in found in a lot of plants and flowers, wont really harm you unless if you eat it. but no way can it kill and reanimate you. i thought the book was brilliant. i loved it. but one thing the book failed to do was mention how the musclar system could possible function. they did a good job with circulation and respiratory, but said nothing about the muscle system. as an anatomy major i'm 100% positive theres no way if your brain somehow was alive but dormant even after your dead if you only can harvess the power of your frontal lobe there would be no way for anyone to move their arms or legs let alone walk. but it is possible to temporarly bring someone back from dead with electricity only momentarily though. its not that i dont believe in zombies like they say "the absence of proof is not the proof of absence" but it is biologically impossible AT THE MOMENT though, i'm sure within a century or even decades there will be a way to bring someone back from the dead. thats all my information and opinions though.

Howdy,

As I understand it, Solanum kills the frontal lombes of the brain, and no higher thought takes place. The hindbrain continues, but only activates the muscles to provide the creature with mobility to move and feed. The heart, lungs, organs of digestion, lymphatic system, nothing other than the nerves and muscles work. A zombies can fall into deep water and stay there for years, one day walk out onto a beach, starting the infection anew. The zombies feed on the living, but do not digest. The flesh fills the stomach untill it bulges grotesquely, and eventualy bursts (yuch!). The eyes become opaque, not from deterioration, but from the scouring of dust as the zombies do not produce tears or blink. Remember: this is an alternate reality. There has been a significant POD, and conventional anatomy and physiology do not apply. :mad:

Just a question about Zombies, why is there so many of them? Suely when a Zombie gets someone, they eat the whole body?

Just a question about Zombies, why is there so many of them? Suely when a Zombie gets someone, they eat the whole body?

If a person a caught by a group of zombies, they will tear him/her apart: el finito, end of story. But, if the sad sack is caught by one zombie, and dies while being eaten, he/she may rise partially eaten, and slouch off in search of fresh food. If a person gets bitten, flees to relative safety (a hideout, hospital, etc.) then turns, we get a fully functional zombie, hungry and ready to eat, almost completely intact.

BTW: One of the great weapons freely available in most of NA that was not spoken of in the guide is the Ruger 10/22 .22 Magnum rifle. The .22 Magnum has more than enough punch to shatter the skull and splatter the brain out to 100 yards (something the .22 Long Rifle and the new .17 Rim Fire cartridges will not always do), and the ammo is fairly cheap, plentiful, easy to find, lightweight, and the Ruger rifle is legendary for it's accuracy and reliability. You can also rebarrel and restock the Ruger 10/22 to make it a super accurate shooting machine for a bit over $150 with parts available from Cabelas, Midway, and a dozen other mail order houses that sell to home tinkerers. Changing the barrel is just a matter of removing one screw, and stocks, super light triggers, and scopes are just as easy. If you live in States that allow big magazines, you can get magazines that hold up to 50 rounds, and there is a kit out there that will turn two 10/22s into a double barreled Gatling gun. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Biology and Zombies

regarding Byelgoransk, we've seen these types of things all throughout history... government cover-ups... they dont want us to know about these types of things because we "cant handle it". I'm a true believer of zombies, and theres nothing out there that'll change my mind.. i've been studying zombie accounts for almost 5 years now... and i'm only 16... i saw my first zombie film when i was 8 and ever since i've been hooked...

solanum i believe to be real, i've seen it in quite a few ancient medical texts. and although it causes humans to reanimate it can also be contracted by animals as well, though they dont reanimate... its a rare disease, like lepracy, or elephantitus. Theres fossilized record of Solanum...

Regarding my obsession with the undead:: Does anyone know where I can find Shaun of the Dead or Dawn Of the Dead movie poster? I've been looking for months at every theater and music store for them and i have yet to find them... Any information on this would help a great deal.... E-bay is a likely place but i dont trust online hosts with my credit card account...

Thanks all.

I am a fan of the book. The author does an amazing job of creating a fictional virus and creating scientific explainations for how solanum works. He uses his basic knowledge of how a virus works. However I disapprove of his "scientific" explaination of how zombies function. (At this point I should probably remind you that zombies are fictional, and if the author had not been trying to give them a plausable scientific background I wouldn't even mention this.) The ZSG states that zombies are dead, except for their mutated brain, and cannot use their organs. However it also states that the virus uses the body like a tool kit and causes the zombie to move and function. However, because the zombie cannot use its organs, it is impossible for the zombie to move.
The reason for this is in order for the body to move it needs the living muscle tissue to contract and release. (Yes the muscle tissue must be living or you would be giving the virus to much credit, as a puppeteer that weilds invisible strings.) In order for the muscle tissue to be able to move the mutated brain must have use of bodies entire nervous system to send signals to the muscle tissue, to stimulate its movement.
If you see that any of my explaination is wrong, please tell me of you concerns in detail. Make sure to be very clear as to why. If you need more information on other impossble biological functions, I have a plenty of information.
Please do not get angry, I really do like the book and I don't mean to hurt anyones love for it. I just think that a better explaination could be made that has already been made in the zsg. If you have any of you own ideas about how zombies could function, I would like to know. I just know to a small extent what cannot happen.

List of Concerns(or things that do not quite work)

Disuse of:
Circulatory System
Respiratory System
Digestive Tract
Senses
Mobility (as above)
Motivation

Last edited:
If you like this book and its theme Max Brooks has a new zombie book out. Here is a phone in program on NPR where people share stories of how they survived the zombie war.

Last edited:
'New' is a relative term. The book's over a year old, but I'd still highly recommend it, even for people who aren't fans of the zombie genre.

I think most of you are approaching the problem wrong. Stocking up on guns is only going to help in the short term. This is my main problem with "survivalists" in general (anyone ever read The Postman by David Brin? It's basically about a post-apocalyptic world that wouldn't be that way if it weren't for how "survivalists" had reacted to problems that could've been fixed).

What you need is not to kill as many zombies as possible, you need long term survival. Not an exhaustive collection of guns.

--

One of my plans hinged around the theory that zombies have a very keen sense of hearing, making it, in fact, their primary sense. So, here is the equipment I need to keep an area safe; a Gibson Les Paul (or any electric guitar with humbucker pickups) and a Sunn amplifier. If you set it up so that the amplifier has enough electricity, you could keep it feedbacking indefinitely, making more than enough noise to render hearing useless. Of course, this would make it very uncomfortable for any humans, so I wouldn't recommend keeping it on all the time (also, keeping it off when you're not using it saves electricity, which those bass amps also screw up).

As an added bonus, bass notes travel very far and could conceivably be used as a form of communication.

Admiral Matt

Gone Fishin'
I am a fan of the book.......

List of Concerns(or things that do not quite work)

Disuse of:
Circulatory System
Respiratory System
Digestive Tract
Senses
Mobility (as above)
Motivation

You're absolutely right. Zombies as they are normally described basically have to be magical. Otherwise they are either truly alive - and much easier to kill - or they just lie there rotting. There's nothing to speak of in between.

The zombie effect is best achieved by a virus that makes living humans stupid and agressive. As far as I know, only the 28 series has ever touched on this. And I'm not entirely impressed with the job they did.

I`ve got that book and World WarZ they are both awesome and make their world seem very real. They are also darkly funny Max Brooks inheirited his fathers sense of humuor.