THE UPSET OF THE CENTURY: A Collaborative Timeline

February 1980 - Following the negative reviews to Moonwalker, Roger Moore stands down as James Bond. A search for his replacement begins.

February 9, 1984: CPSU General Secretary Yuri Andropov dies. However, Andropov's protege Mikhail Gorbachev was elected General Secretary. Nikolay Ryzhkov becomes Chairman of Council of Ministers. Leonid Abalkin becomes Head of Gosplan

November 3, 1988: Mass unrests in Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia

November 26, 1990: Dissolution of the Soviet Union after the Kishinev agreement

August 19, 1991: Russian constitutional crisis begins

Last edited:
C. McKay said:
Now....Elvis lives, but does Lennon?

Lennon's retirement from the music industry is pre-POD, but the boat trip where he wrote the comeback album took place in the summer of 1980, so not only could we butterfly away Lennon's death, but we could also potentially butterfly away 'Double Fantasy' and his comeback.

MatthewFirth said:
February 1980 - Following the negative reviews to Moonwalker, Roger Moore stands down as James Bond. A search for his replacement begins.

Hmm. How about...?

-

12th February 1980 – Having originally been contracted to do three Bond films, as well as suffering recurring health problems during the shooting of ‘Moonraker’, Roger Moore announces that he will not be returning for the next Bond film. Rumours that his departure was influenced by the mixed critical reception of ‘Moonraker’ are denied by Moore and the producers.
Meanwhile, popularly cited candidates for Moore’s eventual replacement include Michael Billington and Timothy Dalton.

12th June 1982 – After several delays in production, the James Bond film ‘For Your Eyes Only’ is released. The film, the twelfth entry in the series and the first to star Timothy Dalton in the title role, is significantly darker in tone than it’s predecessor and is widely praised for bringing the Bond franchise ‘back to reality’ after the outlandishness of ‘Moonraker’. The film is also notable for introducing the Walther P5 as Bond’s sidearm (at the behest of Walther, who wished to promote the newer firearm), replacing the more traditional PPK for the remainder of the Dalton era.

7th October 1983 – The unofficial (non-EON) James Bond film ‘Warhead’, starring Roger Moore, is released. The film, originally intended to star Sean Connery in the title role, is the result of a copyright settlement made in the mid-60s between EON and Kevin McClory, one of the original writers of the story Ian Fleming adapted into the ‘Thunderball’ novel, and had been in development since 1975. Upon release, ‘Warhead’ receives favourable reviews and is universally considered a more fitting swansong to Moore’s Bond than the official EON film ‘Moonraker’.

-

The Roger Moore version of 'Never Say Never Again' was just too good an idea not to suggest.
Note - Moore's successor doesn't have to be Dalton, but bear in mind he was offered to role quite a few times (including the late-70s/early-80s) before eventually taking it OTL. Plus, he's my favourite of the Bonds, so I'll admit I'm a bit biased.

OlegBabkinSU said:

I don't know. Seems a little too convergent with OTL (albeit a year ahead of schedule) to me. Personally, I'd rather wait until Brezhnev snuffs it before we worry about his successor/s and the fate of the Soviet Union. Still, I'll keep all this in mind.

Last edited:
March 25, 1977: Aruba independence vote has been a success with 96.44% of the voters saying yes

May 8, 1977: French Territory of the Afars and the Issas gain independence from France with 74% turned out to vote in the elections

December 10, 1977: Malcolm Fraser stays in power after winning the Australian federal election by 23 seats from Gough Whitlam

May 18, 1978: Sapporo is the host of the 1984 Winter Olympics after winning the bid by 38-37 over Sarajevo.

January 21, 1979: Dallas Cowboys win Super Bowl XIII 31-29 against the Pittsburgh Steelers

May 12, 1979: Ipswich Town wins their first FA Cup after defeating Manchester United 2-1

June 23, 1979: The West Indies take home the second FIFA World Cup after New Zealand was bowled out for only 144 in the final.

February 14, 1980: The 1980 Winter Olympics starts in Lake Placid, United States.

February 23, 1980: The 1980 Winter Olympics ends in Lake Placid, United States with East Germany winning the most gold (10) and medals (24) from the Soviets and United States.

May 16, 1980: FISA fined all of the FOCA teams after not appearing at the briefing in United States West and Belgian Grand Prix.

May 17, 1980: Ferrari, Renault and Alfa Romeo withdraw after the debates rage on. Tyrrell and Shadow also join the protest.

May 18, 1980: Carlos Reutemann wins the Monaco Grand Prix in a wet grand prix.

May 20, 1980: The Quebec referendum is a no with 56.6% of the voters saying no.

June 1, 1980: The FOCA teams as well as Tyrrell and Shadow doesn't turn up to Spain. The race is still run for points with Alan Jones taking the win to get the championship by 5 points from Nelson Piquet.

July 19, 1980: The 1980 Summer Olympics begins in Moscow.

July 31, 1980: Zimbabwe cause one of the biggest upsets in field hockey history as they took home the gold in the women's tournament against more fancier oppoents (Czechosloavkia and the Soviet Union).

August 1, 1980: Cuba shocks the football world after sercuring fourth place after a 2-1 win over Czechosloavkia in the Quarter Final

August 3, 1980: The 1980 Summer Olympics ends in Moscow with East Germany taking the most medals with 148 while the United States winning the most golds with 41.

EDIT: Added some more events including the Australian elections of 1977.

Last edited:
At last, the Summer Olympics of 1980...thank you, Hawk Aussie. :)

Butterflying Lennon's comeback is an interesting choice, Storyteller. It's worth contemplating a TL where he is not only alive but also more or less out of the spotlight.

At last, the Summer Olympics of 1980...thank you, Hawk Aussie. :)

Butterflying Lennon's comeback is an interesting choice, Storyteller. It's worth contemplating a TL where he is not only alive but also more or less out of the spotlight.

Your welcome

July 31, 1980: Zimbabwe cause one of the biggest upsets in field hockey history as they took home the gold in the women's tournament against more fancier oppoents (Czechosloavkia and the Soviet Union).

Interesting. So does this mean that Zimbabwe Rhodesia still doesn't get recognised in 1979, even with Ford in the White House and Willaim Scranton as Ambassador to the UN (instead of Andrew Young)? If so, is Zimbabwe still under Mugabe, or does Joshua Nkomo have a shot at power?
Olympics-wise, does anyone know what date the Host City Selection for the 1984 Summer Games took place?
Also, apparently Tehran was the only other non-US city to express and interest in hosting the games, but had to pull out due to Iran's various political changes at the time. With Khomeini dead as of late-1977 and Ford in the White House instead of Carter, is the overthrow of the Shah and formation of the Islamic Republic of Iran still inevitable?

C. McKay said:

If anyone else thinks we should prevent or postpone Lennon's comeback, then by all means go ahead.

The Watcher said:
July 30, 1979 - Paramount announced plans for a feature-length Star Trek motion picture.

A post-Phase II film is certainly an interesting idea, though I should point out that Phase II is officially on hiatus at this point due to contract negotiations between the producers and several of the main cast (Shatner in particular).

-

A few butterflies concerning our new Pope.

26th October 1982 - Pope John XXIV suffers a heart attack during a papal visit to the United Kingdom (the first such visit in the history of the Papacy). He is rushed to the Manchester Royal Infirmary where his condition is eventually declared 'stable'.

27th October 1982 - DUP Leader and North Antrim MP Ian Paisley causes controversy when he describes the Pope's heart attack as an example of "God's righteous judgement against the sinful depravity of the Papists" and expresses hope that "the vile Romish Antichrist" will soon be in hell.

30th October 1982 - On the same day that Pope John XXIV is released from the Manchester Royal Infirmary, an attempt on the life of Ian Paisley is made. While Paisley survives the attempt (motivated by his anti-Pope comments several days earlier), he will require the use a walking cane for the rest of his life due to the injuries sustained.

-

17th September 1978 – ‘Battlestar Galactica’, created by Glen A. Larson, premiers on ABC.

30th July 1979 - Paramount announces that the contract disputes that brought about Star Trek: Phase II's hiatus have now been settled. Despite this, however, the show remains on hiatus, triggering rumours of an impending cancellation of the series, possibly in favour of a full-length motion picture.

17th July 1980 – The Republican National Convention concludes. Former California Governor Ronald Reagan secures the Presidential Nomination, despite a determined campaign by Vice President Bob Dole. RNC Chairman and former Tennessee Senator Bill Brock is chosen as the Vice Presidential Nominee.

14th August 1980 – The Democratic National Convention concludes, with Idaho Senator Frank Church securing the Presidential Nomination, while outgoing Florida Governor Reubin Askew wins the Vice Presidential Nomination. This marks the last time that the Democratic Party decides the Vice Presidential nominee via roll call.

-

Thoughts?

How do people feel about a successful Heaven's Gate (and subsequent prolonging of the New Hollywood era into the early 80s) ITTL?

September 1980: John Lennon announces that they will be no Beatles reunion or any more albums, officially confirming his retirement as permanent. This causes outrage by his and Beatle fans.

Paul McCartney states he is disappointed by the decision, George Harrison confirms "No more Beatle talk, it's over for good". Ringo Starr, however, states "I'm sure that he's kidding and will be back in five years. Just give the Beatle talk a rest and give him a break and he'll pull a surprise for ya".......

Thank you, MatthewFirth. I like how you did this.

I wonder if we may see JD Salinger break his silence earlier. According to a recent documentary, Lennon's assassination spooked Salinger because Mark David Chapman was a Catcher in the Rye fan.

I have some ideas for Lennon-sightings and other events and will post this afternoon. I don't want this collaboration to fade away.

December 1980: With the announcement of John Lennon's retirement as a recording artist 3 months prior, Apple Records releases a new Beatle compilation CD "The Green Album - 1969-1975" which features John, Paul, Ringo and George's solo hits that were recorded on the label during this period. The album becomes the biggest selling album over the Christmas period.

The album is backed with a new single "Not Guilty" (with Leave My Kitten Alone as the B-side). Both sides were outtakes from the White Album and Beatles for Sale albums respectfully, and was remixed by George Martin for release. This was, according to Paul McCartney, to thank the fans for their support over the years and to apologize for concluding that their would be no Beatles reunion. He states "Despite no more new songs, I'm sure Apple Records will continue to promote the Beatles this decade". The single reaches No.1 in the UK and US.

Yoko Ono also issues a statement saying: "John approves these releases, as George Martin has completed a great job in producing this album and single. I would like to let you know that, despite him retiring as a recording artist, he will remain a song-writer, as it remains his passion. He doesn't want to record because he wants to remain a private and family person. I will have a new album soon (Walking on Thin Ice) which he has helped written some songs for......"

Well, it's been a long time coming, but here it is...

-

4th November 1980 - The 1980 US Presidential Election takes place.
The Democrats win the election with 304 Electoral Votes to 234. While President Ford's approval ratings are relatively high and Ronald Reagan's charisma is undeniable, both prove to be no match for incumbent fatigue and a strong Democratic campaign (the Democrats particularly determined not to let another certain victory 'slip by' as in 1976).
The election results are particularly notable for the narrow margins of victory (in either direction) among the southern states.

1980 Presidential Election (D-304, R-234).png

Frank Church / Reubin Askew (Democratic) - 304
Ronald Reagan / Bill Brock (Republican) - 234

-

1980 Presidential Election (D-304, R-234).png

December 1980 - Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr make a surprise appearance at the Royal Variety Performance, performing Coming Up, Leave My Kitten Alone (it's only TV performance) and Yesterday. ABBA also make a surprise appearance, closing the show with Super Trouper, The Winner Takes It All and Waterloo, before leading the finale of Thank You for the Music. They are joined on the bill by Sammy Davis Jnr, Aretha Franklin and Sir Bruce Forsyth.

The telecast on the BBC that Christmas leads it to become the UK's biggest broadcast of the year and boosted the Green Album and Super Trouper to massive sales. George Harrison, in the Anthology documentary in 1995, stated "I regretted not joining them, since that would have been our farewell, even without John. The 1963 Royal Variety Show is still one of our greatest moments, it would have been nice to revisit that. But it would never have convinced John, never......"

part 1

Thank you, Matthew. :)

Here are a few odds and ends.

February 1981 -- Yoko Ono releases Walking on Thin Ice. Despite the songwriting of her husband and his strong support, the album receives negative critical reviews. However, her single "Walking on Thin Ice" reaches #13 as it is rumored that John actually wrote this song. A song that he actually did write, "Just Like Starting Over," only reaches #40.

April 1981 -- At a diner on the Upper West Side, John Lennon confronts Village Voice music critic Geoffrey Stokes whose review of Walking on Thin Ice was particularly nasty. The two men nearly get into a fistfight. As Stokes' friend pulls him away, the critic yells, "Tell Yoko that she needs to retire, too." Yoko enters the restaurant at that point.

Although she records some songs here and there, Walking on Thin Ice is her last album. As she notes in her 2000 memoir, she realized that her gifts lay in writing and staging plays.

January 1982 -- Three of the four Monkees (Peter Tork, Micky Dolenz, and Davy Jones) reunite at the Gladys Love Presley Center where they are being treated for substance abuse issues. They decide to record an album and tour. One of the songs on their album Return of the Monkees is by John Lennon, and that song "Watching the Wheels," will crack the Top Ten in September 1982. In his Village Voice column, Geoffrey Stokes wonders what Lennon would have done with that "bit of Muzak for Monkeemaniacs."

Last edited:
part 2

Here are a few more items, Storyteller.

March 1982 -- Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder's "Ebony and Ivory" reaches #1 on the pop charts. Stokes titles his column "Waiting for Lennon."

May 1982 -- Elvis Costello changes his name to Winston O'Boogie for his new album "The Wait is Over." His song "I Love Everybody" hits #1.

July 1982 -- It is rumored that John Lennon is driving a cab in NYC. However, another, lesser 60s musician is behind the wheel-- the Lovin Spoonful's John Sebastian.

September 1982 -- Lennon is sighted at a playhouse near Columbia University. There Yoko Ono is directing a production of a minor play by Samuel Beckett. Columbia senior Barry Obama titles his review of the play "After Seeing Lennon." Geoffrey Stokes is not in the audience. Neither is any other critic.

April 1981: Ringo Star releases the album Can't Fight Lightning, with the lead single Nobody Told Me, written and produced by John Lennon. Nobody Told Me becomes a Top 10 hit in the UK, and reaches top 50 in the US. The album flops however, reached top 30 in the UK and misses the top 100 in the US.

Ever since OlegBabkin's post, I've been thinking about potential Soviet-related butterflies. Given that Leonid Brezhnev suffered a truly ridiculous array of health problems from the mid-70s onwards, and given that Mikhail Suslov's 1982 death is considered an important step towards Andropov's succession as General Secretary, I'm wondering if this is a possibility...

-

5th November 1980 - After years of ill-health, Soviet General Secretary Leonid Brezhnev dies of a heart attack at the age of 73. Competition among Soviet leadership for the position of General Secretary soon coalesces along pro-Brezhnev and anti-Brezhnev lines, primarily represented by Second Secretary Mikhail Suslov and KGB Chairman Yuri Andropov respectively.

9th November 1980 - Konstantin Chernenko is elected General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, despite strong opposition from the Andropov faction. Chernenko, a long-time Central Committee member and associate of Leonid Brezhnev, is believed to have owed much of his support to such notable Politburo members as Mikhail Suslov and Andrei Kirilenko. Despite his opposition, Yuri Andropov remains Chairman of the KGB.

-

Any thoughts?
On a related note, does anyone think we could do something with OTL's 'New Union Treaty' concept (i.e. reorganisation rather than dissolution)?

Also...

-

11th July 1979 - Skylab, the USA's first Space Station, is destroyed after undergoing atmospheric re-entry.

19th August 1980 - After a six-month delay to it's originally planned launch, the Space Shuttle Columbia undergoes it's first official launch, thus marking the beginning of the Space Shuttle's operational service. The date of the launch is noted as being the 20th anniversary of the launch of Korabl-Sputnik 2 (more commonly known as 'Sputnik 5'), the first spaceflight to carry animals into orbit and return them alive, though NASA officials state that this is a coincidence.

20th January 1981 - Frank Church is inaugurated as the 39th President of the United States. Reubin Askew is also inaugurated as the 43rd Vice President of the United States.

-