The Union Forever: A TL

I personally think that ComNat could follow logically from the Commonwealth as a descriptor for the institution as a whole. Or ImpCom might be acceptable to some as well.

So the lines have been drawn and battle joined in earnest. I have a feeling that things will go really bad for at least one group of separatists. After all, the Russians in the conflict aren't going to be too eager to lob nuclear bombs at each other without risk of losing the support of the Russian populace. The Muslims of the Central East however? All it takes is one atrocity to be committed or rumoured and it could turn out very, very nasty.

How would Chinese small arms work out? I know they are heavy on the sciences and technology so I was thinking of something radical, like bullpup assault rifles and high tech gadgetry.

Weapon Profile: SCLTSE L86A1 and ADAC L196A1
KZG-vWh7Ado.jpg

A Royal Singaporean Infantry Rifle Regiment SCLTSE L86A1 heavy machine gun that is on display at the Singaporean Armaments and Defence Convention at the SCLTSE Campus in 2009.

Name: SCLTSE L86A1 heavy machine gun (Also known as the C86A1 HSW in Canada, the L86A1 HMG in Australia, Machine Gun 13 mm 86A1 in Madras and the R86A1 in South Africa)

Designer: Kemuning bin Mastini, Lan Zhilan & Cheung Chen, Singaporean Commonwealth Laboratories of Technology, Science and Engineering (SCLTSE)

Type: Gas-operating rotating bolt machine gun

Caliber: .511 Commonwealth (13x95mm ComNat) [1]

Feed system: Two 200 round box magazines in double belt feed [2]

Adopted: 1986 by the British Army and the British Commonwealth

Users: British Commonwealth and associates, Malaya, Sarawak, Brunei

Notes: N/A

[1] A fictional British alternative to the .50 BMG, it was created for the L86A1 in order to satisfy requests from the British Army for a more powerful HMG round that could replace the American machine guns in service at the time due to streamline parts production.

[2] Like its OTL counterpart with .50 BMG rounds, two boxes of .511 Commonwealth ammo could be attached to both sides of the belt feed system, allowing for an easy change in ammo rounds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
d634b14d387be13752b1605b13f9f995.jpg

A Royal Australian Army (part of the Australian Federation Defense Force) ADAC L196A4 pistol, with a flashlight and 20 rounds of 5.7x28mm Commonwealth ammunition with this particular model being produced in 2014 for the Canadian Ground Defence Forces.

Name: ADAC L196A1 pistol (Also known as the C196A1 in Canada, the L196A1 in Australia, SAF Pistol 5.7 mm 196A1 in Madras and the R196A1 in South Africa)

Designer: Matthew Moten, James Moulden, Georgia Reimann & Gemma Laffer, Australian Defence Armaments Corporation [1] (produced by Royal Small Arms Factory Enfield)

Type: Delayed blowback semi-automatic pistol

Caliber: 5.7x28mm Commonwealth [2]

Feed system: 20 round box magazine

Adopted: 1996 by the Royal Australian Army, the British Army and the British Commonwealth

Users: British Commonwealth and associates, Australia, New Zealand, Canada

Notes: TBA

[1]
An government sanctioned weapons factory in the outskirts of Brisbane, it has produced several weapons and designs that would be later used in the Commonwealth including the L196A1 pistol and a few other weapons that would be widespread.

[2] OTL FN 5.7X28mm round.

Last edited:
Ah, the Five-seveN. Used to have one until some jaggov robbed my old apartment. Are they going to use a PDW to match ammo? Maybe an AR57 analogue?
It looks likely, since their old weapons, in particular the popular Batts-Enfield will be starting to look a bit dated compared to the new American, German, Russian and Chinese designs. And the need for a powerful compact weapon that does not fire pistol rounds.

Keep it up, Mac Gregor! :)

Excellent update, and I greatly appreciate the map to show the situation.

The Reformers could start making promises for independence/autonomy to the potential breakaway states, but that would risk losing legitimacy. Tricky situation.

Awesome update!

I'd love to see the total breakup of the IEF, perhaps dealt by the international community. Maybe right after the first nukes are dropped...

Are the Ukrainians planning on sticking with the reformers or rebelling to make their own country?

Thanks for the support!

Regarding Veranius's question, the Ukrainian legislature has currently decided to side with Pasternak, a Ukrainian himself, and the Reformers. There is however a number of nationalist groups which would like to be independent. There is also a minority, mostly strict monarchist, supporting the Conservatives.

I'm pretty sure Alexander would be Alexander III, because Alexander II was succeeded by his first son Nicholas ITTL.

And Nicholas II was succeeded by Alexander III. Of course different guy as OTL Alexander III.

Oh right. Derp.

Seems like y'all figured it out. Below is a list of the TL's monarchs of the Russian Empire and the IEF. Cheers!

Alexander II ( 1855-1895)
Nicholas II (1895-1919)
Alexander III (1919-1947)
Peter IV (1947-1962)
Elizabeth II (1962-2000)
Alexander IV (2000 - )

4) I used ComNat because it was a bit jarring to say BritCom when referring to the ammunition. ComNat sounds nice on the tongue and it is similar in vein to NATO being attached to ammo designations in OTL.

I personally think that ComNat could follow logically from the Commonwealth as a descriptor for the institution as a whole. Or ImpCom might be acceptable to some as well.

Perhaps the Royal Commonwealth?

Hmmm, ComNat does have a good ring to it. ImpCom and Royal Commonwealth are good as well. For the sake on continuity lets keep the official name as the British Commonwealth and we can abbrievate it simply as "BC." There is going to be a BC Conference during 2000 to discuss the situation in Jamica. Who knows maybe a name change will result.

How would Chinese small arms work out? I know they are heavy on the sciences and technology so I was thinking of something radical, like bullpup assault rifles and high tech gadgetry.

Maybe PDWs like the P90?

I reckon PDW's, high tech AP rounds, radical designs and soldier technology would be their forte, but it can only do so much with late 90's tech. I was thinking a more streamlined QBZ-95 or QBZ-03 produced by a company that is not Norinco.

I'm fine with a bullpup design for the Chinese. Keep in mind while the Technate would like to think that it has the most advance weaponry it has a lot of Soldiers to arm so simplicity will still be valued.

A Royal Singaporean Infantry Rifle Regiment SCLTSE L86A1 heavy machine gun that is on display at the Singaporean Armaments and Defence Convention at the SCLTSE Campus in 2009.

Name: SCLTSE L86A1 heavy machine gun (Also known as the C86A1 HSW in Canada, the L86A1 HMG in Australia, Machine Gun 13 mm 86A1 in Madras and the R86A1 in South Africa)

Designer: Kemuning bin Mastini, Lan Zhilan & Cheung Chen, Singaporean Commonwealth Laboratories of Technology, Science and Engineering (SCLTSE)

Type: Gas-operating rotating bolt machine gun

Caliber: .511 Commonwealth (13x95mm ComNat) [1]

Feed system: Two 200 round box magazines in double belt feed [2]

Adopted: 1986 by the British Army and the Commonwealth of Nations

Users: British Commonwealth and associates, Malaya, Sarawak, Brunei

Notes: N/A

[1] A fictional British alternative to the .50 BMG, it was created for the L86A1 in order to satisfy requests from the British Army for a more powerful HMG round that could replace the American machine guns in service at the time due to streamline parts production.

[2] Like its OTL counterpart with .50 BMG rounds, two boxes of .511 Commonwealth ammo could be attached to both sides of the belt feed system, allowing for an easy change in ammo rounds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Royal Australian Army (part of the Australian Commonwealth Defence Forces) ADAC L196A4 pistol, with a flashlight and 20 rounds of 5.7x28mm Commonwealth ammunition with this particular model being produced in 2014 for the Canadian Ground Defence Forces.

Name: ADAC L196A1 pistol (Also known as the C196A1 in Canada, the L196A1 in Australia, SAF Pistol 5.7 mm 196A1 in Madras and the R196A1 in South Africa)

Designer: Matthew Moten, James Moulden, Georgia Reimann & Gemma Laffer, Australian Defence Armaments Corporation [1] (produced by Royal Small Arms Factory Enfield)

Type: Delayed blowback semi-automatic pistol

Caliber: 5.7x28mm Commonwealth [2]

Feed system: 20 round box magazine

Adopted: 1996 by the Royal Australian Army, the British Army and the Commonwealth of Nations

Users: British Commonwealth and associates, Australia, New Zealand, Canada

Notes: TBA

[1]
An government sanctioned weapons factory in the outskirts of Brisbane, it has produced several weapons and designs that would be later used in the Commonwealth including the L196A1 pistol and a few other weapons that would be widespread.

[2] OTL FN 5.7X28mm round.

Another great installment! Some comments....

1) Did you mean for the ADAC L196A1 pistol to have a 20 round box magazine?

2) Remember its the Federation of Australia so it would need something like "Australian Federation Defense Force" or "Federation or Australia Security Forces" (FASF) etc.

3) Please list Commonwealth of Nations as British Commonwealth until an update changing the name has been made.

Cheers!