The Tale of the Lion and The Lily

To start this long brewing TL, I must state that I am merely an amateur historian with some schooling in this field of history but am always open to more informed individuals to discuss topics but please in PM, as I am writing this on my iPhone and it is easier for me to respond.

August 31st 1864

The dapper gentleman ran his one hand along the rail after drawing it back from his inside pocket, as he slowly paced the deck of the trade tramp entering the harbour. His stride while long due to his lank made his casual circular route almost comedic to the deck hands as his pinstripe trousers gave him the air of Sam Slick. His calm visage was a veil to the boiling calculation and debate he was planning to wade into over the next 3 days. A tune wafted from the town he recognized that snapped his distant gaze and cracked his pondering face into a private grin. It was from a time that felt a very long time ago, in a land not to dissimar from this out crop of peninsulas and islands in the north Atlantic.

"John you are even making de deck 'ands sea sick wit your endless trek." Came from behind him making the grin open into a smile. "et, ef da 'and disapears into your breast again, I fear de'll start to name it John's blood."

George Etienne Cartier, held a large envolpe in his hand as he approached his contempory and friend a midships.

"George have you ever been to the circus?" John said over his shoulder as he stared at the approaching charming Capitol of the island, Charlottetown.

"Oui, in New York... Terrible time it was, de clowns could have been left 'ome."

"Quite, baffoons the lot of them." still smiling but his eyes glazing into that distant view he gets when in debate with himself.

"why do you ask?" George now beside him, looking at the bustling little burg.

"a matter of timing it seems, let us hope we can make it to the confernce through the parades. I fear for our rather expensive bargaining chip as well, this damned sweltering heat makes me than a little anxious to get things to the table so to speak." tapping his finger per syllable of table, turning to the delegate next to him. "Clowns and elephant shite will be the least of the hurdles to jump if we are to get these Maritimers to follow our tune. We are unwelcomed visitors George don't kid yourself not, with a grander distraction to compete with, with men who had only two of their number contact us about this meeting." Again tapping but more unconsciously, "Baffoons they are not, but let us hope they are impressed with they're big Canadian brothers have to offer."

A sigh and a grim understanding nod was George's reply, as the vessel came to anchor and Johns hand disappeared into his jacket with a subtle lick of his lips.
"practice John?" George quipped raising an eyebrow.

"patience." John replied patting his heart.