The Science of Government Stupidity and Quantum Politics in California

"The real question of government versus private enterprise is argued on too philosophical and abstract a basis. Theoretically, planning may be good. But nobody has ever figured out the cause of government stupidity—and until they do (and find the cure), all ideal plans will fall into quicksand."
- Richard Feynman, What Do You Care What Other People Think?

February, 1966,
Altadena, California,
7:00 PM

Dick was feeling good this night. He was always in a good mood, in one way or the other. He had a wife (his third), his son Carl, his general health. Another thing he had to be proud of was his Noble Prize. He had won it two years ago, along with Julius Schwinger and Sin-Itiro Tomonaga, for his work in Quantum Electrodynamics. He had a good career at Caltech too. He had been elected a Foreign member of the Royal Society just last year. His "Feynman Lectures on Physics" had been a massive hit for physics students all over the country.​
And he had been to a great many places. He was a researcher at the Manhattan Project, taught at Cornell, than a year in Brazil (learned Portuguese and Drumming there), before coming here to Caltech. And now his family had a small beach house over in Baja California, a little reward granted by his share in the Nobel Prize. He also had a number of hobbies, including painting at topless bars, bongoing, and, of course, thinking through Physics problems Dick was, of course, thinking about Physics at the moment. He knew the possibilities. He had been working on various problems at the time. It helped keep him occupied. That, and his devotion to his students, helped keep him busy many days. Right now, he was thinking through some problems that he could teach to his young son about physics. Nothing serious right now. Though, he did have some more ideas, like for nanotechnology, and for a new concept of quantum gravity​
However, the television caught his attention. It was a small press conference. The governor, Pat Brown, was on. Dick was disinterested, but listened. Brown was making a surprise announcement. "I will be a candidate for reelection as Governor of the state of California." A couple of cheers, some gasps. Dick wasn't paying attention. Not much interest in him. He wasn't much of a political guy. Still, it wasn't like he was completely apolitical. His mind shifted to a telegram sent to him in November. It was from the Vice President. It was your standard congratulatory telegram, for his Nobel Prize. He had admired Humphrey for a long time. He sent back a telegram telling as much. And he had some experience with government just two years back , working as part of the textbook commission in California. Slowly, his mind shifted to politics. The challenge of getting elected. He was resisting the notion of having to go through the hollowness and tawdry nature of politics. However, there was something that kept him interested. He was a major figure, with his Nobel prize, his work at Los Alamos, and his lectures. Yeah, and he could solve the problems better than Brown could. Brown was being asked about Mayor Yorty and his run, but Dick had completely tuned out at that point.​
Governor Richard Phillip Feynman. He did like the sound of that.​
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobel Prize Winner, Manhattan Project Scientist announces run for Governor
- The Los Angeles Times, February 20th, 1966.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, thanks to this thread for inspiring me:https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=272563

As a little 18th Birthday present to myself, I decided to finally get this off the ground. This is a little anachronistic I will admit. Feynman had expressed interest in running for governor after the 1966 election was over (December, 1966 to be exact). But, I had planned it with 66 in mind, and frankly, it would make a more interesting narrative, than 1970. This will have a lot of research put into it, but I feel that this will stretch the truth occasionally, if only to serve the narrative. If I get something completely wrong, please inform me. Constructive criticism is always welcome.
Don't expect updates often. I still have some more research to do, as I go into this. I do know where I am going to go with this. Thanks for reading.

TFSmith121

Banned
Hum...

"The real question of government versus private enterprise is argued on too philosophical and abstract a basis. Theoretically, planning may be good. But nobody has ever figured out the cause of government stupidity—and until they do (and find the cure), all ideal plans will fall into quicksand."
- Richard Feynman, What Do You Care What Other People Think?

February, 1966,
Altadena, California,
7:00 PM
Dick was feeling good this night. He was always in a good mood, in one way or the other. He had a wife (his third), his son Carl, his general health. Another thing he had to be proud of was his Noble Prize. He had won it two years ago, along with Julius Schwinger and Sin-Itiro Tomonaga, for his work in Quantum Electrodynamics. He had a good career at Caltech too. He had been elected a Foreign member of the Royal Society just last year. His "Feynman Lectures on Physics" had been a massive hit for physics students all over the country.
And he had been to a great many places. He was a researcher at the Manhattan Project, taught at Cornell, than a year in Brazil (learned Portuguese and Drumming there), before coming here to Caltech. And now his family had a small beach house over in Baja California, a little reward granted by his share in the Nobel Prize. He also had a number of hobbies, including painting at topless bars, bongoing, and, of course, thinking through Physics problems Dick was, of course, thinking about Physics at the moment. He knew the possibilities. He had been working on various problems at the time. It helped keep him occupied. That, and his devotion to his students, helped keep him busy many days. Right now, he was thinking through some problems that he could teach to his young son about physics. Nothing serious right now. Though, he did have some more ideas, like for nanotechnology, and for a new concept of quantum gravity
However, the television caught his attention. It was a small press conference. The governor, Pat Brown, was on. Dick was disinterested, but listened. Brown was making a surprise announcement. "I will be a candidate for reelection as Governor of the state of California." A couple of cheers, some gasps. Dick wasn't paying attention. Not much interest in him. He wasn't much of a political guy. Still, it wasn't like he was completely apolitical. His mind shifted to a telegram sent to him in November. It was from the Vice President. It was your standard congratulatory telegram, for his Nobel Prize. He had admired Humphrey for a long time. He sent back a telegram telling as much. And he had some experience with government just two years back , working as part of the textbook commission in California. Slowly, his mind shifted to politics. The challenge of getting elected. He was resisting the notion of having to go through the hollowness and tawdry nature of politics. However, there was something that kept him interested. He was a major figure, with his Nobel prize, his work at Los Alamos, and his lectures. Yeah, and he could solve the problems better than Brown could. Brown was being asked about Mayor Yorty and his run, but Dick had completely tuned out at that point.
Governor Richard Phillip Feynman. He did like the sound of that.

Nobel Prize Winner, Manhattan Project Scientist announces run for Governor
- The Los Angeles Times, February 20th, 1966.

First, thanks to this thread for inspiring me:https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=272563

As a little 18th Birthday present to myself, I decided to finally get this off the ground. This is a little anachronistic I will admit. Feynman had expressed interest in running for governor after the 1966 election was over (December, 1966 to be exact). But, I had planned it with 66 in mind, and frankly, it would make a more interesting narrative, than 1970. This will have a lot of research put into it, but I feel that this will stretch the truth occasionally, if only to serve the narrative. If I get something completely wrong, please inform me. Constructive criticism is always welcome.
Don't expect updates often. I still have some more research to do, as I go into this. I do know where I am going to go with this. Thanks for reading.

Hum ...

I would see Feynman more likely to challenge Reagan as a Democrat than Pat Brown as a Republican; Pat Brown was probably the best governor for the University of California and the California State University system the state has ever had...

And granted, CalTech is not a state school, but still - seems very odd.

Best,

He'll get bored and pick the locks on Alcatraz (well, it's closed but you get the idea) or something. Probably while playing the bongos.

Hum ...

I would see Feynman more likely to challenge Reagan as a Democrat than Pat Brown as a Republican; Pat Brown was probably the best governor for the University of California and the California State University system the state has ever had...

Best,

Well, Feynman is challenging Brown in the Democratic primaries, along with Sam Yorty. Reagan comes in later.

SUBSCRIBED

Thanks!
He'll get bored and pick the locks on Alcatraz (well, it's closed but you get the idea) or something. Probably while playing the bongos.

Well, you're half right. This is not going to be easy for Feynman...

TFSmith121

Banned
Um, okay ... why? Pique?

Well, Feynman is challenging Brown in the Democratic primaries, along with Sam Yorty. Reagan comes in later.

Thanks!

Well, you're half right. This is not going to be easy for Feynman...

Um, okay ... why? Pique?

Just doesn't strike me as how Feynmann would chose to spend his time.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see where you go with it.

Best,

Um, okay ... why? Pique?

Just doesn't strike me as how Feynmann would chose to spend his time.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see where you go with it.

Best,

Well, he did express interest in running for governor (albeit after the 1966 election) . Here is the telegram:https://books.google.com/books?id=z...heist&q=Governor#v=snippet&q=Governor&f=false. Not overly enthused, but he was open to the possibility.

It is odd that someone like him would run, but I'm hoping to make it work. It may not work, but I would like to try to.

Thanks for the interest!

If you've read much about him, you should be aware of that bit in his memoirs where he relates how, frustrated with his lack of social success, he devised a scientific method for and taught himself how to behave like an aggressive, pushy, smarmy asshole.

Oh, he was unquestionably quite brilliant; but his personal style, well, "egomaniac" was one of the nicer things that got said about him in his later years. Good preparation for politics, actually. All he would really need to do is repeat the experiment on a larger scale.

Then again, this radical self- conditioning went more than skin deep, but certainly not all the way down. There's still a bit of the kid from Far Rockaway under there, as well as the sideways logic of genius. This should be interesting.

Hum ...

Best,

Would it be too much to ask that you edit your post to not include a quoted version of the OP? It makes the thread look clunky and hard to scroll through.

March 16th, 1966 Gallup poll- California Democratic Gubernational Primaries

Governor Edmund G. "Pat" Brown, Sr. - 44.8%
Richard P. Feynman- 30 %
Mayor Samuel W. Yorty-19%
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pat and his manager Don Bradley were looking at the recent Gallup results, published in the Sacremento Times. It didn't look good.

Pat looked at his manager. " You told me that I didn't need to worry about Feynman. That his only contribution would be knocking Yorty out of the race." Granted, that part of the statement was true, but Feynman was doing far better than expected. And Brown, the incumbent, was only at 44.8 %.

"And that's still true. Listen, you still have a 14 point lead..."

" But I'm at 44%! That's a new low for an incumbent!"

" Listen, we need to focus on the general election. We have [George] Christopher on the ropes. If we could ensure his defeat in the Republican primaries, then the general election should go easy for us."

"I'm not sure..."

"Listen, I know what I'm doing." Bradley assured him. Bradley was the one who had helped manage the Johnson campaign in California. He won the state for Johnson. He hoped to repeat that success with Pat Brown. He had advised him to not to go after Yorty back when he was the only competition. When Feynman entered, Bradley was slightly overjoyed. Yorty would be bumped down to third place, (and with that stunt that Yorty just pulled, it is likely he'll stay there) and a major threat was removed, leaving someone who was easier to defeat.

"Alright," Pat said mournfully. "If you insist..."

"So, to amuse myself, so I would go around, and pick the locks, steal the documents inside, you know that stuff."

Dick was relating one of his many anecdotes about working on the Manhattan Project to a very pretty campaigner. Most of these kids were from the university. They either loved him so much that they were willing to help him, or they wanted extra credit (even though he had resigned from Caltech to run, knowing that he could go back if he lost). Just as he was talking, a woman came up to him.

"Excuse me."

Dick turned.

"I'm from the Sacramento Bee. Can I ask you a few questions on your campaign?"

"Go right ahead."

"Alright, what do you think of today's results, putting you in second place."

"I'm shocked that even one person decided to be dumb enough to vote for me. Let alone so many." Dick was being somewhat honest. He hadn't expected such success already. Nonetheless, he was going to work with it. Already, he had managed to launch an effective grassroots campaign. Now, with Sam Yorty in third, he could now focus effectively on dethroning Brown. Already, commentators were asking if Feynman could take out the incumbent governor.

"Second question, What do you think of the recent Yorty ad against you?"

"I don't think of it much." He didn't. Granted, Feynman had been focusing on Yorty first, given that he was second place at the time. He had already scored points attacking Yorty for not responding to the Watts Riots and for blaming other people for it, despite being the Mayor of Los Angeles. Yorty shot back, stating that whilst Feynman had "a distinguished and admirable scientific career, which should be honored," that his inexperience in governing and politics would be detrimental to the state. That would have been a completely reasonable criticism. Then, he began to insinuate that Feynman was a radical, due to being a University professor (at a notoriously apolitical college), and due to a visit to Soviet Union a few years ago. That didn't help him. Then, came a very... blunt ad. The ad just amused him. It helped that the ad backfired. Badly. He lost a large amount of his voters, and several donors pulled out. He apologized, but the damage was done.

"This stuff happens in politics. Why do you think I haven't gotten involved until now."

"So, what are you going to do now?"

"Just keep doing what I'm doing now, and hope for the best."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FromGenius: A Biography of Richard Feynman by James Gleick

From the oneset, Richard had to fight two powerful opponents, Governor Pat Brown and Mayor Sam Yorty. Both were very influential in the Democratic Party, and both had experience in leadership positions. It was going to be an uphill battle. But, Feynman, as he did with most other endeavors, carried on. He first disarmed Sam Yorty. Yorty's criticism of Feynman ranged from the very reasonable assertion that he had no leadership skills, to assertions that Feynman was secretly a communist radical. He also attacked Feynman as an out of stater, something he had done with James Roosevelt. However, testimonials from Feynman's colleagues convinced the general public he was a good patriot, with little love for communists. That's when Sam Yorty released a television ad, stating that Feynman consorted with "radical elements." What he was referring to? There was nothing. The photo shown was a scene of him playing the bongos with a group near Watts. When this fact arose, the backlash was severe. With the race baiting now more blatant, more moderates went to Feynman, and Yorty was bumped to third place. With Yorty virtually out of the way, Feynman could focus on Governor Brown.

So, that's the first update. I had another idea for how Yorty managed to decrease his popularity, but I realized that, even if I explained it, I could still run into the trouble of misrepresenting him. So, I went with something that he would likely do. Anyway, constructive criticism is welcome

Sideways

Donor
I dreamed about this time-line last night. Feynman somehow managed to trick Governor Brown into appearing in an anti-Brown attack ad, and Brown, in retribution, attacked Feynman for being friends with a drunk Chinese snake.

I think I should be able to keep the real timeline separate from what my subconscious came up with.

April 1966

April 9th, 1966 Gallup poll- California Democratic Gubernational Primaries

Governor Edmund G. "Pat" Brown, Sr. - 42%
Richard P. Feynman- 35%
Mayor Samuel W. Yorty- 18%

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yorty to drop out of the Governor's Race, to endorse Feynman

- Los Angeles Times, April 14th, 1966

From America's Mayors, entry "Sam Yorty," Scholastic Books, 2012

" By April, it was clear that Sam was not going to win the primaries. He had been dropped to third place, and there didn't seem much hope for him to rise back up. He later said that he realized his desperation when he almost approved an anti-Feynman ad with anti-semitic undertones. [1] He also began to talk with the Feynman campaign, and realized that he was far more moderate than his initial impressions were. Whilst not as conservative as Yorty, he was moderate enough to appeal even to some conservatives. His previous apolitical leanings appealed to moderates, and his Humphrey admiration appealed to liberals. Factoring all of this in, he decided to endorse Feynman as the anti-Brown candidate. Yorty decided to postpone his gubernational efforts until 1970 or 1972. He fully intended to challenge Feynman in those elections. Feynman wins, proves to be failure, Sam challenges him, wins the primary, and then wins the governorship, Yorty figured. But for now, he would focus on running Los Angeles, and defending his mayorship. Sadly, not everything went according to plan for Yorty..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pat was finishing a speech in front of the State House, and he met up with his campaign manager to discuss the election.

"So, Sam dropped out and endorsed Feynman?"

"Yes."

Pat was both confused and irritated. Yorty didn't seem like the type to surrender. His showings weren't great right now. Maybe this was a ploy. Help an inexperienced ivory tower scientist beat him out, and with the guy on the other side, odds are Yorty could easily challenge someone in 1970, and get the governorship for himself. Nevertheless, he was now faced with a popular candidate, and his approval ratings were falling.

"Listen, it looks bad now. We have to double up on our efforts."

Bradley had realized his mistake, and now was working to defeat the rising opponent. Not like that was an easy task. Feynman was going out to the people, playing the bongos, telling anecdotes (which he hears are somewhat exaggerated), and teaching kids how to pick locks. He was portraying himself not as a physicist, but as a basic everyman. Bradley had plans to dig into Feynman's past.

"We've been digging into his past for a little bit. There are several interesting things about him."

"Like what?"

"How about a topless bar?"

Just a note. That line about Yorty almost going with an antisemitic ad. Yeah, that was a reference to my original plan for him. You know that race baiting thing last update? Originally, it was an anti-carpetbagger ad, the same technique he used against James Roosevelt in the mayoral race the year before. However, given Feynman's Jewish origin, it was taken the wrong way, not helped by the disdain for New York. I decided maybe I should go with something else, due to unfortunate implications with Yorty.

May 1966

Gallup Poll- California Democratic Gubernational Primaries

Governor Edmund G. "Pat" Brown-40%

Richard P. Feynman-38%

Meanwhile, outside of California....

May 4th

Fiat signs a deal with the Soviet Union to build a car factory within the country

May 5th

The seminal Galactus trilogy in the Fantastic Four comic books ends with Galactus leaving Earth, when threatened with the Ultimate Nullifer. He strips his former herald, the Silver Surfer of his powers, forcing him to live on Earth.

May 13th

The Rolling Stones release "Paint It, Black". It will become a number one hit in the US, UK, Canada, and the Netherlands, the first with a sitar (performed by Brian Jones).

May 16th

The Chinese government issues the "May 16th Notice," which begins the Cultural Revolution.

Seminal music albums, Blonde on Blonde by Bob Dylan, and Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, are released.

May 26th
Guyana achieves independence from Great Britain.

Lyndon Johnson looked at the newspaper column very briefly, before turning to one of his aides.

"Keep me updated on California's Governor Primaries. Something interesting might happen next month"

The aide nodded, and left, leaving the President alone. He didn't dwell on the subject for too long, just making a note to endorse whoever wins. His attention rather turned to the protesters gathered outside the gate today.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Jerry. How's work?"

"Fine, I guess. Is the campaign gaining momentum again?"

"No. I'm trying my best to ensure a victory. The ballot will be very close next month. I have about a week to try to excite voters against Feynman. I won't use the more incriminating stuff, unless I get desperate."

"Well, if you need any help, just call."

" Alright, see you soon"

"Bye, Dad"

Sorry for the short update after such a long wait. I couldn't think of anything good to put here, so I just decided to write minor stuff. The "Fear and Loathing" Timeline style will only be an occasional feature, in case I have little else to talk about. The next update will be more detailed.

Last edited:
Woah just caught up. I hope you're still continuing this.
Thanks for the interest
I'm sorry for not updating. I will create an update next week, during Thanksgiving break, which will feature the gubernational primary election in California. Here's a hint for things to come, the very obvious happens (because otherwise, we wouldn't have a timeline.)

June 1966- The Primaries

Before I start, I got most of these stats for this primary from this website:http://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=95276. I went through and modified some of them for my purposes, as you will soon see.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The votes were in:
Siskiyou

Governor Edumund G. Brown- 48%
Richard P. Feynman-31.8%

------
Modoc

Richard P. Feynman- 42.5%
Governor Edmund G. Brown- 41.2%

------
Humboldt

Governor Edmund G. Brown-54%
Richard P. Feynman-35%

------

Trinity

Richard P. Feynman-46.1%
Governor Edmund G. Brown- 40.7%

------

Shasta

Governor Edmund G. Brown- 56%
Richard P. Feynman- 32%

-----

Lassen

Governor Edmund G. Brown- 51.36%
Richard P. Feynman-34.01%

-----

Mendocino

Richard P. Feynman-42.5%
Governor Edmund G. Brown-41.5%

-----

Tehama

Richard P. Feynman-48%
Governor Edmund G. Brown-40.5%

------

Plumas

Governor Edmund G. Brown-55%
Richard P. Feynman-31%

------
Glenn

Richard P. Feynman-49%
Governor Edmund G. Brown- 40.1%

------
Butte

Governor Edmund G. Brown-50%
Richard P. Feynman-39%

-------

Sierra

Richard P. Feynman-49.7%
Governor Edmund G. Brown-38%

-----

Sutter

Richard P. Feynman- 47%
Governor Edmund G. Brown- 41.4%

------

Colusa

Governor Edmund G. Brown-53.1 %
Richard P. Feynman- 35.3%

-----

Lake

Richard P. Feynman-46.1%
Governor Edmund G. Brown- 42.3%

-----

Nevada

Governor Edmund G. Brown-53%
Richard P. Feynman-35%

-----

Placer

Governor Edmund G. Brown-53%
Richard Feynman- 36%

------

El Dorado

Richard P. Feynman- 44%
Governor Edmund Brown-42%

-----
Alpine

Richard Feynman-50%
Governor Brown- 41.5%

-----

Yolo

Governor Brown-57%
Richard Feynman-33%

----

Sonoma

Governor Brown-57%
Richard Feynman-29%

----

Amador

Richard P. Feynman-47%
Governor Brown-42.3 %

----

San Joaquin

Richard Feynman-47.5%
Governor Brown- 42.7%

-----

Sacremento

Governor Brown-53%
Richard Feynman-34%

-----

Calaveras

Richard Feynman-45%
Governor Brown-43%

-----

Mono

Richard Feynman-45%
Governor Brown-42%

-----
Mariposa

Richard Feynman-53%
Governor Brown-37%

-----

Tuolumne

Richard Feynman-45.8%
Governor Brown-43.4%

----

Madera

Richard Feynman-49%
Governor Brown-41.7%

----

Fresno

Richard Feynman-46.4%
Governor Brown-43.5%

-----

Inyo

Richard Feynman- 46%
Governor Brown-44.3%

-----

Tulare

Richard Feynman-45%
Governor Brown-42.3%

------

Kings

Richard Feynman-46%
Governor Brown-42.6%

------

San Benito

Richard Feynman-54.5%
Governor Brown- 35%

------

Monterey

Governor Brown-59%
Richard Feynman-30.3%

------

Santa Cruz
Governor Brown-56%
Richard Feynman-31%

------

Santa Clara

Governor Brown-59%
Richard Feynman-29.5%

-----

San Meteo

Governor Brown-58%
Richard Feynman-30%

------
Alameda

Governor Brown-56%
Richard Feynman-29%

----
Contra Costa

Governor Brown-53%
Richard Feynman-45%

-----

San Francisco

Governor Brown-63%
Richard Feynman-29%

----
Marin

Richard Feynman-48%
Governor Brown-44%

-----

Napa

Governor Brown-54%
Richard Feynman-36%

-----

Solano

Governor Brown-57%
Richard Feynman-34.4 %

-----

Placer

Richard Feynman-47%
Governor Brown-44%

-----
Merced

Governor Brown-52.3%
Richard Feynman-38.3%

------

Stanislaus

Richard Feynman-47%
Governor Brown-45%

-----

Kern
Richard Feynman-48.8%
Governor Brown-40%

-----

San Luis Obispo

Governor Brown-59%
Richard Feynman-31%

-----

San Bernardino

Richard Feynman-48%
Governor Brown-45%

-----

Santa Barbara

Governor Brown- 58%
Richard Feynman- 34%

------

Ventura

Richard Feynman- 48%
Governor Brown- 44%

------

Orange

Richard Feynman- 51%
Governor Brown- 42%

------
San Diego

Governor Brown- 56%
Richard Feynman- 35.3%

------

Riverside

Governor Brown- 51%
Richard Feynman- 40%

-----

Imperial

Richard Feynman- 48%
Governor Brown- 47%

------

Los Angeles

Richard Feynman-48%
Governor Brown-44%
-----

Total election results
Richard P. Feynman- 46% (1,083,420 votes)
Governor Edmund G. Brown- 44% (1,036,315 votes)

--------

"After a thorough recount, we can now project Professor Richard Phillip Feynman of Pasadena, California as the new Democratic nominee for the governor of the State of California. Governor Pat Brown is expected to give a concession speech in a little bit.

On the other side of the aisle, actor Ronald Reagan has secured the Republican nomination for governor of California against San Francisco mayor George Christopher. For the first time, two political outsiders are going head to head..."

-ABC News Report, June 6th, 1966.

-----------------------

Wow, that was a lot of work.

I stretched some of the counties number percentage just to make them work to get Feynman, like with Marin and Trinity. Any state Yorty won OTL Feynman won. And for close races that Brown won, I switched around the percentages. That's how I manipulated the Map to ensure a Feynman victory.

I think Feynman won more counties, but I may have miscounted. If anyone sees that isn't the case, please tell me.