The Rise of the Dragon: An Altered History of the World Wrestling Federation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I Can't Wait for Wrestlemania II in This TL so it will take place in 3 Cities in Uniondale, NY (Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum), Rosemont, IL (Rosemont Horizon) and Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena), So I Hope It will be a Battle between the NFL players vs. The Wrestlers in Chicago so I'm Cheering on Jimbo Covert and William Perry of the Chicago Bears in which they won Super Bowl XX!

Welcome to the thread, athleticsfan!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but TTL's Wrestlemania 2 will focus much more on wrestling than OTL's. We'll still get appearances by the NFL players, along with plenty of celebrities -- including several who didn't even appear at WM2 in real life!

Wonder how this will affect Jackie Chan (his movie, Police Story, was released in 1985). Might Police Story get a wider release in the US?

Police Story is pretty much as OTL, with a very limited release in the US. Funny you should mention Jackie Chan, though...

In addition, have Ricky Steamboat keep the rights to the Dragon name and property (his ex-wife, Bonnie, got the rights when they divorced OTL).

I'd be a fool not to have Steamboat keep the Dragon name here.

The Japanese (yes, Japanese) metal band Loudness also had a hit in the US (a minor one) with Crazy Nights. Will that be a bigger hit than OTL?

Never really considered it until now, but I'm not ruling it out.

Seriously, though, you're giving me some great ideas! :)

I can only surmise that the Steamboat Era is going to handwave some of Tom Billington's worst injuries (and possibly even his drug problems, though that's more questionable), and the Dynamite Kid will play a more significant role in the company's plans over the next few years.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Dynamite Kid will play a very substantial role in TTL's WWF in the next few years -- just how, I can't say right now.

Honestly, this looks like a lot better card than the Wrestlemania I we actually got (aside from the parts that are still exactly the same), so I'm kind of mad that we don't get to see it. The one sad thing is (it seems for now) we won't be getting the Steamboat/Flair series of matches, though the lack of Steamboat in the NWA could result in things going differently for Magnum TA, so maybe we get a Flair/Magnum feud instead, or perhaps the Steamboat/Flair feud will happen later, if the Real World Champ gets away from NWA/WCW as he did IOTL.

I'm looking forward to seeing more!

That's exactly what I was going for. I was looking for something that catered to both the traditional wrestling fans and the fans of the over-the-top antics that we all know and remember from the WWF, and for all intensive purposes, I'm glad you think I delivered.

We will have Steamboat vs. Flair coming up ITTL, just quite a bit later than we actually got it IOTL.

And thank you for reading!

April 1985: Five Harts That Beat as One
16.jpg

April 6, 1985

At a taping for an episode of WWF Championship Wrestling which will later air on April 28th, “Rowdy” Roddy Piper, irate at not winning the WWF Championship at Wrestlemania, demands a rematch with Ricky Steamboat. It isn’t Steamboat, but surprisingly, WWF Intercontinental Champion Greg Valentine who answers Piper, who says that clearly, Piper is delusional. He says that anyone who can’t win a title under pressure doesn’t need to be in the WWF. Piper says if he can’t have the WWF Title, he’ll take the next best thing, and a match between the two is made for the Intercontinental Title for later in the broadcast. That night, in a rare heel vs. heel contest, Piper pins Valentine by using the ropes for leverage to win the IC Title, his first ever belt in the WWF. [1]

April 14, 1985

After a technical glitch ended the local broadcast of Wrestlemania I at the Civic Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania two weeks earlier, the pay-per-view is shown for free on a local television station. [2]

April 15, 1985

Vince McMahon was seated in his office, looking over the buyrate from the inaugural Wrestlemania yet again. He nodded to himself as he looked over the figures. “400,000…not bad. Not bad at all…” [3]

Just then, a knock was heard at McMahon’s door. “Come in,” Vince said as he put down the buyrate sheet.

A man with feathery black hair and a mustache to match walked into the room, carrying a small cassette player. It was 41-year-old Jimmy Hart, who McMahon had hired about a year ago. Hart was a former member of a rock-and-roll band [4], and he co-wrote most of the entrance music for the WWF performers. He had recently been used as a manager onscreen, accompanying Greg Valentine, King Kong Bundy, and most recently, newcomer Jim Neidhart to the ring. Hart smiled as he looked Vince in the eye. “Vince, how are ya’?” Hart asked as he shook his boss’ hand. “Just wanted to bring you this new composition me and Jim came up with yesterday.” Hart pulled a cassette tape from his jeans pocket and handed it to McMahon.

McMahon nodded as he looked at the tape. “I appreciate it, Jimmy. Should I listen to it now?”

Hart nodded. “I came prepared for just such an emergency.” He placed the cassette player on the desk, inserted the tape into it, and pressed the play button. After a few seconds, an instrumental hard rock tune began playing, complete with an electric guitar overture and drums in the background.

McMahon nodded approvingly at the catchy tune that was playing. “It’s great…but who could use it?”

Hart shrugged. “Well, you have a few new guys who don’t have any entrance themes yet, right? How ‘bout the Bulldogs, or that Bret Hart kid?”

McMahon scowled and shook his head. “The Bulldogs need something English-sounding, like ‘God Save the Queen’ or something. And I had a particular gimmick in mind for Bret—the kid’s a great athlete, no doubt, but his father sure didn’t teach him much about talking. I think giving him a gimmick would work wonders for him.”

Another knock was heard at McMahon’s door. “Who is it?” Vince asked.

“It’s Bret,” said the voice of the young son of Stu Hart from the other side of the door. “You wanted to see me?”

“Yes, I did,” McMahon said. “Come on in.”

The handsome Canadian wrestler stepped through the door. McMahon had acquired Bret Hart, along with Jim Neidhart and the British Bulldogs, among others, from his acquisition of Canada’s Stampede Wrestling a few months ago. Bret sat down in a folding chair in front of McMahon’s desk. “What’s on your mind, sir?”

“I wanted to talk to you about a gimmick I had in mind for you,” McMahon replied as he took out a notepad. “You’re a great technical wrestler, Bret, but I just feel that you need a little extra…oomph to get the audience to like or dislike you.”

Bret nodded slowly, but said nothing.

“Bret, you have kind of a rustic look to you,” McMahon continued. “I think a cowboy gimmick would be great for you. We’ll put you in a hat, blue jeans, maybe even have you wrestle in some cowboy boots. It’ll be great—what do you say?” [5]

Bret creased his forehead as he thought about it. “I don’t know. I know next to nothing about cowboys. I’m Canadian, for God’s sake.”

McMahon frowned. “Well, I’d still like you to have some sort of gimmick—otherwise, the people might think you’re too bland. Do you have any suggestions?”

Bret shrugged. “Well, I had one swimming around in my head…maybe you could put me with Jim? We could make a decent tag team…”

“Neidhart? Your brother-in-law? The guy who Jimmy’s managing right now?” McMahon asked, laughing slightly. “We’ve got enough tag teams right now. Plus, I honestly think the cowboy thing would work better…”

Bret frowned, and then narrowed his eyes at McMahon. “No, I don’t think so. Most of your guys are already kinda cartoony anyway. Call me a traditionalist, but maybe I’m not cut out to work in the WWF anyways…”

McMahon shifted in his seat, sensing that his employee could be on the verge of quitting. “Now, now, there’s no need to do anything rash, Bret. I’m sure we can work something out…”

“Vince, may I butt in here just a minute?” Jimmy said, standing up. “I think teamin’ Bret with Jim could be a decent idea. Heck, you took a gamble on Ricky Steamboat a couple months ago, didn’t you? Why not give this a shot, too? These guys are brothers-in-law, for goodness’ sake, so they’re more likely to agree on stuff you put in front of them. Not only that,” he continued, pointing to himself and Bret, “but all three of us share the ‘Hart’ part of our name…that’s gotta be enough of a gimmick for ya’!”

McMahon blinked several times. “Hart…Neidhart…how come I didn’t see that before? I guess we could try it out…” [6]

Just then, another hard knock was heard at McMahon’s door. “Today must be ‘Harass-the-Boss Day’,” Vince muttered, but then spoke up. “Who’s there?”

“Tom and Davey,” said an English-accented voice from behind the door. “We’ve got a bone to pick with you, McMahon.”

“Come on in,” McMahon said. The door flew open, and in walked Tom Billington, also known by his ring name of The Dynamite Kid. Billington’s cousin, Davey Boy Smith, walked behind him. Dynamite and Smith had been paired together as a tag team known as the British Bulldogs since being hired by McMahon when he bought out Stampede Wrestling. Bret smirked slightly at Davey, who nodded back at him. Davey was also Bret’s brother-in-law, having married Bret’s youngest sister Diana last year.

“We need to talk,” said Dynamite, sitting down in the chair beside Bret. “We’ve been clamoring for some competition for months now, and you’ve just had us on television wrestling jobbers, night in and night out. Hell, I bet could put away most of the guys you put me and Davey against by myself! When are we going to get some legitimate competition, for God’s sake?”

Smith nodded slowly, but said nothing. His cousin was on another one of his tirades, and he wasn’t about to stop him for fear of making him angrier. [7]

“Whoa, take it easy, Tom,” McMahon said quietly but sternly, rising from his seat. “If you know what’s good for you, you will lower your voice in here—especially with other people present.” He motioned to Jimmy beside him and Bret in front of him.

Dynamite narrowed his eyes at McMahon, but then sighed as he put his hands up in the air. “Fine, I’m calm…just frustrated, is all. I just think it’s a crying shame that you put a tag team of mine and Davey’s caliber on a lower pedestal than those second-rate workers you’ve got as Tag Champions.”

“Watch it, Tom,” McMahon said in a low growl. “You’re entitled to your own opinions; just keep them to yourself around me. Now, if you have some ideas about your team, I’m willing to listen—just try to keep a cool head, alright?”

Dynamite took a deep breath before nodding slowly. “Yes, we had some ideas. We’ve noticed that you don’t have a decent heel tag team in the WWF, right Davey?”

Smith nodded. “Indeed. Bundy and Studd are made out to be monsters, sure, but they don’t really excel at having relatively long matches like us. Sheik and Volkoff are good, but Volkoff is kinda stiff and the Sheik is getting…well, over-the-hill. We think it might be time to turn us heel.”

McMahon stroked his chin as he thought about it. “The old ‘foreign heel’ card, huh? Sounds intriguing…Anti-American stuff has worked well with Sheik and Volkoff, so it might work with you two as well.”

Dynamite nodded and smiled. “So is it alright then?”

McMahon thought for a few more seconds, then nodded slowly. “Sure, it’s fine by me. We can always use some good competition for Santana and Beefcake.” McMahon looked around his room at everyone in it—first at Bret, then at the Bulldogs, then at Jimmy. Suddenly, a thought clicked in his mind.

“Wait a second…wait just a second!” he practically shouted. “I just had some inspiration! Jimmy, I know you’ll have no problem managing Hart and Neidhart, but didn’t you used to have like a big group of men under your…’managerial services’ back when you worked in Memphis?”

Jimmy thought back, and nodded. “Yeah, the First Family. We feuded with Jerry Lawler a lot. [8] But why…wait, you’re not thinking we could try and do that again?”

“Why couldn’t we?” McMahon asked, smiling. “You’re managing Neidhart already…all you have to do is take Bret under your wing, then we turn the Bulldogs heel and have them join up with your group!” Vince turned to Dynamite and Davey. “How do you two like the idea?”

Smith nodded. “I like it! We’re all related anyway, by marriage or blood…all except Jimmy. We’d be one big, happy family!”

Dynamite thought for a few seconds, but then cracked a smile—a rarity for him. “It sounds great. But how about the other guys Jimmy’s managing?”

Everyone in the room was silent as they thought for a few seconds. “Well, Valentine just lost the Intercontinental strap, right?” Jimmy said, speaking up. “I could dump him to the curb, saying that I only manage champions. Bundy we could keep around a while, but then he could get jealous of how I’m treatin’ you new guys, so he gets rid of me as manager. That would just leave the five of us…the real ‘Hart Foundation’.” [9]

A slow smile crept across McMahon’s face. “Perfect! ‘The Hart Foundation’, the first major force in tag team wrestling today! Hell, we could even have one of you feud with Steamboat or something now that Piper’s the Intercontinental Champion.”

Jimmy chuckled slightly. “Aren’t you gettin’ a little ahead of yourself, Vince?”

“Maybe,” McMahon replied. “But you should know better than anybody that I dream big. I made Wrestlemania, didn’t I?”

Dynamite rose from his seat, laughing to himself. “Sometimes, McMahon, you amaze me.” He held out his hand for McMahon to shake. “It’s a pleasure working for you, my man.”

Smith just smiled and shook his head. “When do we debut?”

“How about the taping tomorrow?” McMahon asked.

“That sounds great. We'd better get ready for it, then,” Jimmy replied.

At this, Bret spoke up. “We could all meet this evening and decide what we’re gonna do, then Jimmy can run it by Vince later on. Come on, let’s go find Anvil…we’ve got a lot to catch him up on.”

With that, the four men exited McMahon’s office, and Vince smiled to himself. “I can’t believe how much things are coming together. What’s next, a Saturday morning cartoon?”

April 16, 1985

On an episode of WWF Championship Wrestling that will later air on May 4th, Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart team up for the first time to defeat Mario Mancini & S.D. Jones. After the match ends, Hart & Neidhart continue to beat up Mancini & Jones. Jimmy Hart climbs into the ring and is about to bash a prone Mancini in the head with his megaphone when the British Bulldogs come out and shield the defenseless jobber from the attack. They stare at Jimmy, then at Hart & Neidhart, then at Jimmy again, when Dynamite holds out his hand for the megaphone. Jimmy reluctantly hands it over, and Smith begins to help Mancini to his feet. To everyone’s shock, however, Smith holds Mancini in place as Dynamite rears back and smashes the smaller jobber over the head with the megaphone. As the crowd boos, Bret & Neidhart climb into the ring, followed by Jimmy. All four wrestlers hit the turnbuckles, raising their hands in the air as Jimmy yells through his megaphone “We are the Hart Foundation!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] IOTL, Valentine held the Intercontinental Title until July 6, 1985, when Tito Santana recaptured the belt in a Steel Cage Match at a house show. Here, the belt switches to Piper because of his popularity/heat.

[2] As OTL.

[3] IOTL, Wrestlemania I only garnered 398,000 buyrates. It’s slightly higher here because of all the pushing McMahon has done due to the lack of Hulk Hogan on his product.

[4] Amazingly, this is the truth! Jimmy Hart was the lead vocalist for the Gentrys, a Memphis-based “garage rock” group who had a Billboard Top 5 hit in 1965, “Keep on Dancing”. Several other songs by the band also charted on the Hot 100, but they never had another Top 40 hit, and split up in 1972.

[5] This is the same gimmick Bret Hart was offered (and turned down) IOTL.

[6] IOTL, Hart & Neidhart first started teaming together in March 1985. Because of all the turmoil surrounding the Hogan/Steamboat situation ITTL, their team’s formation comes slightly later.

[7] Dynamite Kid was considered irritable, bad-tempered, and at times, impossible to reason with backstage. He’ll be a bit easier to get along with later on ITTL due to certain circumstances, but for now, he’s just as much an asshole as he always has been.

[8] Often considered the first true “stable” in modern wrestling, Jimmy Hart’s First Family of Wrestling first came about in the late 1970’s by Jimmy, and included such names as Eddie Gilbert, Austin Idol, Kamala, King Kong Bundy, Randy Savage, and yes, even Jim Neidhart.

[9] Up to this point, Jimmy had used the “Hart Foundation” moniker as a catch-all term to refer to all the wrestlers he managed onscreen (Bundy, Valentine, and most recently, Neidhart). Not until later, in both OTL and TTL, was it used solely to refer to the tag team of Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart.

And there you have it: the birth of TTL's Hart Foundation. I told you Dynamite would play a more important role, didn't I?

Coming up, we take a look at the very first Saturday Night's Main Event on NBC. And later, we see how NWA is responding to the WWF's recent changes, when we look at Starrcade 1985.

Last edited:
Shameless plug here...:D:D:D

But this TL has given me some inspiration to put a little WWF update into my TL, so I decided to throw something in my Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire TL about pro wrestling in the 1990s. I have to admit, I had a lot of fun researching some of the old WWF stars from the mid 1990s...

Yes, Tom Billington was pretty much an asshole, IMO, whose tactics included drugging the drinks of other wrestlers before they were supposed to be driving other wrestlers back to their motels, among other activities. Oh, yeah, guess who adopted him as a role model?

Chris Benoit.

Given how that ended OTL...

Billington would make a very good heel.

Yes, Tom Billington was pretty much an asshole, IMO, whose tactics included drugging the drinks of other wrestlers before they were supposed to be driving other wrestlers back to their motels, among other activities. Oh, yeah, guess who adopted him as a role model?

Chris Benoit.

He'd also convince other wrestlers to let him blade them, then intentionally cut them deep, if I remember Bret Hart's autobiography correctly. He did other awful shit too, but it's been a while since I read the book.

Well I Hope The Dynamite will make a Chance to Play In Next Year's Wrestlemania in either New York, Los Angeles or Chicago, Hopefully I'm Excited!

Oh, he will, along with the rest of the Hart Foundation.

Shameless plug here...:D:D:D

But this TL has given me some inspiration to put a little WWF update into my TL, so I decided to throw something in my Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire TL about pro wrestling in the 1990s. I have to admit, I had a lot of fun researching some of the old WWF stars from the mid 1990s...

Glad I could inspire you, my friend!

Chris Benoit.

Yeah, despite his PHENOMENAL in-ring skills, Dynamite was a jackass behind-the-scenes. That's one of the reasons why I turned the Bulldogs heel and had them join the Hart Foundation.

He'd also convince other wrestlers to let him blade them, then intentionally cut them deep, if I remember Bret Hart's autobiography correctly. He did other awful shit too, but it's been a while since I read the book.

See above comment. ;)

Good luck with this one. I just recently was attempting a wrestling timeline, but I put it on the backburner to continue working on my SDP story. I hope you can keep at it. Pro wrestling deserves some love.

Good luck with this one. I just recently was attempting a wrestling timeline, but I put it on the backburner to continue working on my SDP story. I hope you can keep at it. Pro wrestling deserves some love.

Thanks a lot! Hope you get inspired by me to do your own wrestling TL!

Yeah, I plan on keeping this going until at least the end of the '90s with this, and rest assured, the butterflies will start flapping before you know it.

May 1985: Saturday Night (Wrestling) Fever
snme.jpg

May 6, 1985

After surprising the wrestling world by choosing Ricky Steamboat to carry the WWF Heavyweight Championship in Hulk Hogan’s absence four months ago, Vince McMahon seems to be off and running with his “national expansion” of the World Wrestling Federation. The reviews and buyrates for his Wrestlemania show back in March have been very good, and bringing Steamboat in as a top babyface has garnered widespread attention with traditional fans of NWA, AWA, and other wrestling promotions that have seemed to put more emphasis on actual wrestling than McMahon’s product, which is known for its more “cartoonish” characters. McMahon is said by insiders to be hard at work on a syndicated television special which will air on NBC this coming Saturday.

Sources say that former WWF Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan is coming along nicely with his recovery from triceps surgery back in March, and is scheduled to be back on television before the end of the year. However, an exact date has not yet been set. Hogan has made several one-off appearances for the WWF, coming back at both The Brawl to End It All and Wrestlemania with his arm bandaged-up, and has cut at least two lackluster promos in the process.

Sources say McMahon is looking for a new heel challenger for Steamboat while Roddy Piper reigns as Intercontinental Champion. The most likely sources are Iron Sheik or Nikolai Volkoff, the two of who WWF appears to have dissolved as a tag team—the last time the two teamed together was at a house show on 4/4.

Speaking of tag teams, a new stable appears to have been formed in the WWF. The British Bulldogs (Davey Boy Smith and Tom “Dynamite Kid” Billington) turned heel at a taping of Championship Wrestling some weeks back, joining up with Jimmy Hart and the team of Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart, who were teaming up for the first time at said taping. Along with Valentine and Bundy, this makes six wrestlers now managed by Jimmy Hart, prompting questions by this writer of whether McMahon may be spreading Hart a bit too thin throughout his product. Interestingly, the four newest members of the “Hart Foundation” stable are related in real-life: the British Bulldogs are legit cousins, and Smith and Neidhart are both Bret Hart’s legit brothers-in-law.

—The Wrestling Observer Newsletter from Monday, May 6, 1985

------

May 11, 1985

Excerpt from “The Story of the WWF” (2010)

Chapter 5: Saturday Night’s Alright for Wrestling

When Wrestlemania 1 turned out to be a resounding success in 1985, the WWF was riding high. It seemed that Vince McMahon and his company could do no wrong. The WWF was more popular now than it had ever been, with WWF Champion Ricky Steamboat leading the charge, along with popular athletes such as Andre the Giant, Roddy Piper, Jimmy Snuka, and of course, the then-injured Hulk Hogan, who still made occasional appearances. In addition, big-name celebrities of the day such as Cyndi Lauper and Mr. T garnered impressive media attention for the WWF. The company’s main television show, WWF Championship Wrestling, was airing on the USA Network, and would until August 1986, when it was replaced by Superstars of Wrestling. But McMahon wanted to bring the WWF to an even wider audience—and in the spring of 1985, he got his chance.

Dick Ebersol, NBC’s Vice President and the co-creator of Saturday Night Live, approached McMahon around this time. Ebersol had seen how popular the WWF had become in the past few months, and wanted to capitalize on that by airing WWF matches on NBC. McMahon was intrigued by the offer, and agreed. The WWF was given the timeslot of 9 PM, the period usually reserved for reruns of Saturday Night Live. Drawing inspiration from the show they would be preempting, McMahon and Ebersol agreed to call the show Saturday Night’s Main Event. It would be the first time professional wrestling was broadcast on over-the-air television since the 1950’s.

Ebersol, McMahon, and head WWF match coordinator George Scott worked for two days on how the program would be. Ebersol wanted an SNL-style show, with comedy skits and over-the-top antics, while Scott favored a show with more focus on wrestling. Eventually, far cooler heads prevailed, and McMahon convinced Ebersol to agree to a show focused mainly on wrestling, with a few sprinklings of drama and comedy throughout the broadcast. Scott agreed, as long as there were “no more than ten minutes of garbage” on the show. [1]

Given such a short amount of time to put together a decent card, McMahon decided to focus on four matches which, in turn, encompassed four major storylines in the WWF: Ricky Steamboat’s dominant championship reign, the ongoing storyline with Wendi Richter and the Fabulous Moolah, the feud between the two former U.S. Express members Barry Windham and Mike Rotunda (sp), and the recent formation of one of the greatest stables in wrestling history—the Hart Foundation. Formed when “The Mouth of the South” Jimmy Hart lent his managerial services to the foursome of Bret “the Hitman” Hart, Jim “the Anvil” Neidhart, The Dynamite Kid and Davey Boy Smith, the heel stable had become a force to be reckoned with in the WWF, with all four members having yet to lose a match since coming together.

The first Saturday Night’s Main Event was taped on Friday, May 10, 1985 at the Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, New York, and aired on NBC the very next night. The first match in the show’s history featured a prime example of the Hart Foundation’s villainous antics. In an eight-man tag match in which Tag Team Champions Tito Santana and Brutus Beefcake teamed up with Hillbilly Jim & Uncle Elmer to take on three members of the Hart Foundation and George “the Animal” Steele, the Harts received a major beating, and after conversing with Jimmy on the outside, abandoned their partner Steele to be pinned by Beefcake. This not only served to turn the crowd even further against the villainous Hart Foundation, but it also served to turn Steele, a longtime rulebreaker, into a fan favorite. Later in the show, Ricky Steamboat successfully defended his WWF Title against the Iron Sheik, and Wendi Richter bested the Fabulous Moolah yet again to retain the Women’s Title. The main event saw Mike Rotunda (sp) soundly defeat his former partner, Barry Windham, sending Windham out of the WWF for good. [2]

Despite worries from some backstage NBC personnel that the first Saturday Night’s Main Event might bomb, the show turned out to be a resounding success. It garnered an 8.8 rating on NBC in its premiere, one of the highest ratings ever in that timeslot. [3] Ebersol was eager to have more of the WWF on his product, and McMahon was more than happy to oblige. Forty-six more episodes of Saturday Night’s Main Event were made, the last one airing in November of 1994, when NBC dropped the show altogether due to declining ratings. [4] The show would produce some of the most memorable moments in WWF history. A spin-off show entitled Friday Night's Main Event first aired on February 5, 1988, and would continue to air sporadically on Friday nights until 1993. [5]

Despite this, however, both shows left indelible marks on popular culture, and became inexplicably linked to the rise of the WWF and professional wrestling in general in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s. Popular rock-and-roll songs of the day were featured on nearly every program, usually as music accompanying montages of the athletes. [6] Young children were especially drawn to the colorful antics of the WWF’s athletes. Because the programs aired on Friday and Saturday, kids across the country could stay up late to cheer on their favorite heroes and boo their most hated villains without fear of having school the next day. Due to the unprecedented popularity with younger viewers, McMahon would promote numerous products for children throughout the 80’s, including toys, cereals, and one very risky maneuver that paid off in full for the WWF every Saturday morning…

Full Saturday Night’s Main Event #1 card

Tito Santana, Brutus Beefcake, Hillbilly Jim & Uncle Elmer (w/ Cousin Junior) def. The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart, Jim Neidhart & Davey Boy Smith) & George “the Animal” Steele (w/ Dynamite Kid & Jimmy Hart) (3:29)
WWF Championship: Ricky “the Dragon” Steamboat (C) def. Iron Sheik (w/ “Classy” Freddie Blassie) (6:54)
WWF Women’s Championship: Wendi Richter (w/ Cyndi Lauper) (C) def. The Fabulous Moolah (4:00)
Loser Leaves WWF Match: Mike Rotundo def. Barry Windham (6:30)

[1] McMahon, Ebersol and Scott would work for three days IOTL, for much the same reasons mentioned above. As here, Scott eventually won out, but Ebersol would insert at least a little craziness into the program (such as Junkyard Dog appearing with his real-life mother, Bertha, and cutting a promo with her).

[2] Windham would stay in the WWF for a few weeks longer IOTL. He and Rotundo won the WWF Tag Titles from Sheik & Volkoff for a second time on June 17, 1985 before losing them to Greg Valentine & Brutus Beefcake on August 24 that year. Windham leaves the WWF a bit earlier ITTL due to McMahon’s breaking up the tag team and Windham feeling held down due to his losses to Rotundo. But don’t worry—Windham will resurface soon enough in a certain rival company.

[3] As OTL.

[4] A total of 31 episodes of SNME ran from 1985-92 IOTL, along with a brief revival from 2006-08 which produced five more episodes. Here, the show runs slightly longer. In addition, the show moved to FOX IOTL for the final two episodes of its initial run, which it doesn’t do here.

[5] The analogous show from OTL, The Main Event, would air until February 1991.

[6] We’ll talk more about the effects of wrestling on popular music ITTL in a later update!

And there's our look at Saturday Night's Main Event in this altered world. No Hulk Hogan in sight, but he'll be back soon enough. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, however. :p

Coming up next time, the WWF expands its markets to children, and we see how toys, cereal, fast food, and Saturday morning cartoons are affected by the WWF in the year 1985. See you soon!

Last edited:
And now, we see its effects on other forms of pop culture.

If the Four Horsemen still form, it might be seen as a ripoff of the WWF's Hart Foundation stable (and dream matchups between the two stables will be popular in TTL).

Didn't know that about Jimmy Hart (that he had a Billboard Top 5 hit, I've listened to it a lot on the local oldies station).

I actually like this WWF better than OTL WWF in 1985 (at least the top babyface is a better wrestler (1)).

(1) Although, if you've seen Hogan's Japan matches, he can really wrestle, too.

Avoid the XFL in TTL, please...

This is a good wrestling TL (coming from a wrestling fan).

Last edited:
You know, the Ray Fernandez (Hercules Hernandez) versus Ricky Steamboat feud from Wrestlemania 2 was a pretty good match. I could see that rivalry blowing up in this TL. Also, one rivalry that may really catch on here would be a "Hawaiian Civil War" where Ricky Steamboat defends his title against Don Muraco. To be honest, I think it would be a natural in this TL, Dragon would shine against more fluid wrestlers as opposed to the big hulking guys that Hogan took on (like King Kong Bundy), but with Muraco's size (6'3, 270 pounds) it still gives it a "David versus Goliath" feel.

Also, are we going to see Vic Blood (aka Vic Steamboat, Ricky's real life brother) make it in the WWF and start a Owen Hart like feud with Ricky? That would be pretty awesome.

Great TL, keep it up!

Yay, I Can't wait to see Popular Music and Wrestling occurring ITTL so I'm excited!

How can you not be excited when you have the potential to get '80s music, television and other aspects of pop culture along with your WWF fix? :D

And now, we see its effects on other forms of pop culture.

If the Four Horsemen still form, it might be seen as a ripoff of the WWF's Hart Foundation stable (and dream matchups between the two stables will be popular in TTL).

Starrcade '85 is coming soon, my friend. We'll address the matter of the Four Horsemen at that critical junction.

Didn't know that about Jimmy Hart (that he had a Billboard Top 5 hit, I've listened to it a lot on the local oldies station).

Not only that, but the guy can actually sing! I'm not sure if it's him singing lead on the first recording, but here he is belting the song out in the present day.

I actually like this WWF better than OTL WWF in 1985 (at least the top babyface is a better wrestler (1)).

(1) Although, if you've seen Hogan's Japan matches, he can really wrestle, too.

I know, I know. The problem with Hogan is that once he saw that showmanship would work better for him, he pretty much abandoned any and all traces of technical wrestling in his matches. His matches in Japan are exponentially better than anything he did in the states, IMO (unless you count his match with The Rock at WM18--I really enjoyed that one).

Avoid the XFL in TTL, please...

This is a good wrestling TL (coming from a wrestling fan).

Thanks!

XFL? What's that? Is that some sort of X-rated NFL I'm not aware of? [/sarcasm]

You know, the Ray Fernandez (Hercules Hernandez) versus Ricky Steamboat feud from Wrestlemania 2 was a pretty good match. I could see that rivalry blowing up in this TL. Also, one rivalry that may really catch on here would be a "Hawaiian Civil War" where Ricky Steamboat defends his title against Don Muraco. To be honest, I think it would be a natural in this TL, Dragon would shine against more fluid wrestlers as opposed to the big hulking guys that Hogan took on (like King Kong Bundy), but with Muraco's size (6'3, 270 pounds) it still gives it a "David versus Goliath" feel.

Also, are we going to see Vic Blood (aka Vic Steamboat, Ricky's real life brother) make it in the WWF and start a Owen Hart like feud with Ricky? That would be pretty awesome.

Great TL, keep it up!

Neither of those matchups you mentioned are scheduled for an upcoming PPV, but you're giving me plenty of ideas. As for your suggestion about the lesser-known Steamboat brother, you'll just have to keep reading!

And thanks!

1985: Wrestling and Pop Culture
tumblr_lfe8zz57i31qgudl3o1_500.jpg

Drawing a bit of inspiration from a certain other '80s timeline around here, here's an update!!

May 25, 1985

(American! Top! 40!) From Bakersfield to Boston; from Baton Rouge to Boise; these are the Top 40 hits this week as ranked by Billboard Magazine. I’m Casey Kasem, and now, on with the countdown. (Number 36!) We’re up to the debut song this week by a woman who’s been hanging out with some very colorful characters lately. I’m talking about Cyndi Lauper, who has been making many appearances lately for the professional wrestling program, WWF. She’s been seen at wrestling shows partnering up with lady wrestling champion Wendi Richter, and some of the WWF wrestlers have even appeared in Cyndi’s videos: Captain Lou Albano, for instance, portrayed Cyndi’s father in the video for “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”. While she’s not hanging out with wrestlers this week, she does score her sixth Top 40 hit. Debuting at #36 this week, here’s Cyndi with the theme song to the film featured in its title: “The Goonies ‘R Good Enough”.

—Casey Kasem, from American Top 40, initially broadcast on May 25, 1985

----------

Posts from the forums of Retrojunk.com, by users MadMaximus and Super-Chicken

MadMaximus: “To anyone who was a WWF fan back in the ‘80s, I present to you my ultimate labor of love: transcripts from six commercials from circa 1985-86. Yeah, I know—I have waaaaayy too much time on my hands. =)

WWF CEREAL [1]
(Camera zooms in on a breakfast table, where two kids are sitting eating bowls of cereal, looking very bored)
BOY #1: I’m sick of this stupid, boring cereal.
BOY #2: I wish breakfast could be more exciting…
(Ricky “the Dragon” Steamboat jumps onscreen)
RICKY STEAMBOAT: More exciting, you say?
BOTH BOYS: Ricky “the Dragon” Steamboat?!
STEAMBOAT: (pulls out a box of cereal) If you want a little action in your breakfast, try new Post WWF cereal! Crunchy corn cereal sweetened with brown sugar, and shaped like the WWF logo!
(As the kids take a bite of the cereal Steamboat has poured for them, “The Dragon” pulls out a small toy)
BOTH BOYS: Mmmmm!!
STEAMBOAT: Plus, for a limited time, there’s a free WWF action figure in every box! (camera cuts to a line of WWF toys) Roddy Piper, Andre the Giant, The Hart Foundation, Hulk Hogan, and oh yeah—even me!
VINCE MCMAHON, VOICE-OVER: Post WWF Cereal! Part of this balanced breakfast!
STEAMBOAT: It’s a bowl full of action! (loudly crunches on a spoonful of cereal, causing an earthquake-like effect)

HONEY NUT CHEERIOS CEREAL
HULK HOGAN: Hey, bee! No way a little dude like you is gonna change my ways!
BEE: (flees behind a box of cereal) It’s t-t-time you were tempted with the taste of nuts and honey!
HOGAN: Hulk Hogan doesn’t eat nuts and honey!
BEE: T-t-take this! (shoves spoonful of cereal into Hogan’s mouth. Hogan smiles. Camera cuts to Bee behind a box of Cheerios on a table of breakfast foods)
BEE: An unbeatable part of this nutritious breakfast!
HOGAN: (chews cereal, swallows) That’s better than a body slam!!
BEE: Undefeated!
HOGAN: And still champion!
MIXED CHORUS, VOICE-OVER: It’s a honey of an O! It’s Honey Nut Cheerios! [2]

WWF “DRAGON FEVER” WORKOUT SET
(Camera shows a boy watching WWF on TV)
BOY: I wish I could get muscles like those guys…
(Ricky Steamboat breaks through the wall next to the TV)
BOY: Wow! Ricky Steamboat!
RICKY STEAMBOAT: You want muscles? You can start by getting in shape with the new “Dragon Fever” Workout Set!
(Scenes of the boy using all the equipment in the set, while Steamboat, off-camera, explains each one)
STEAMBOAT: It’s got everything you need—a jump rope for getting your blood pumping, two sets of dumbbells for building those biceps, a workout tape filled with my favorite music…even a cool headband just like mine!
VINCE MCMAHON, VOICE-OVER: The Dragon Fever workout set! New from Mattel!
STEAMBOAT: (pointing at camera) Are you in shape yet?

LJN WWF ACTION FIGURES (COMMERCIAL #1)
BOY #1: You and me, my house, after school!
BOY #2: I’ll bring my guys, and you bring yours!
VINCE MCMAHON, VOICE-OVER: LJN WWF action figures! They’re just like the real thing!
BOY #1: I’ve got The Iron Sheik!
BOY #2: I’ve got Junkyard Dog!
BOY #1: “Mr. Wonderful” Paul Orndorff!
BOY #2: “Superfly” Jimmy Snuka!
BOY #1: “Rowdy” Roddy Piper!
BOY #2: Ricky “the Dragon” Steamboat!
(Steamboat and Piper appear in the background fighting as the two boys play with their action figures in the toy ring)
MCMAHON, VO: They’re so realistic, you’ll think they’re for real! (Camera shows a group of all the action figures available) WWF Action figures! Each sold separately. From LJN!

LJN WWF ACTION FIGURES (COMMERCIAL #2)
(Camera shows two little kids in the back of a car, playing with two action figures)
VINCE MCMAHON, VOICE-OVER: No matter where you are, put a little action into your day with World Wrestling Federation Wrestling Superstars! With WWF superstars like Ricky “the Dragon” Steamboat and “Rowdy” Roddy Piper!
(Camera shows two more kids playing in a park at a picnic table)
MCMAHON, VO: Wherever you are, it’s just like real wresting action! With Junkyard Dog and Greg “the Hammer” Valentine!
(Camera shows a large group of kids playing outside a school)
MCMAHON, VO: Wrestle anywhere! With Hulk Hogan and the Iron Sheik!
(The Iron Sheik appears in the door of the school)
IRON SHEIK: Okay, kids, back to class! (Kids run back into the school, screaming)
MCMAHON, VO: Bring the WWF anywhere with WWF Wrestling Superstars! Each sold separately. From LJN! [3]

WWF MCDONALD’S HAPPY MEAL TOYS
(The camera shows a group of two girls and three boys eating at a table inside a McDonald’s restaurant)
VOICE-OVER: Something new is coming to McDonald’s…
(Camera cuts to a wall trembling)
VO: Something big…really big…
(Andre the Giant bursts through the wall)
VO: Introducing WWF superstars, now at McDonald’s! Test Andre the Giant’s super-punching action! Take “Rowdy” Roddy Piper for a ride on his Hotrod! And launch Ricky “the Dragon” Steamboat high into the air! One toy comes with each Happy Meal you buy!
(Andre is seen playing with the toys with the kids at the table. He looks at one kid’s Andre the Giant figure, then at his own Roddy Piper toy)
ANDRE THE GIANT: I’ll trade you…
BOY: No way!
ANNOUNCER: WWF Superstars. Only at McDonald’s!

--> Super-Chicken: “Oh God, I remember that cereal. It tasted like sugar-coated chalk! XD

--> MadMaximus: “Darn straight! And the ice cream bars weren’t much better! LMAO”

----------

September 14, 1985

Ricky Steamboat’s Rock ‘n Wrestling
from *Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ricky Steamboat’s Rock ‘n Wrestling is an American animated television series that originally aired on CBS Saturday mornings from September 14, 1985 to March 26, 1988, with reruns airing until August 5, 1989. [4]

Contents
1. History
2. Characters
3. Music
4. Episode List
-4.1 Season 1 (1985)
-4.2 Season 2 (1986)
-4.3 Season 3 (1987)
5. Voices

History
Ricky Steamboat’s Rock ‘n Wrestling was animated and produced by DIC Entertainment. It featured animated adventures of popular WWF wrestlers from the time, including its title character Ricky Steamboat and his group of wrestlers fighting against a group of rogue wrestlers led by Roddy Piper (later Dynamite Kid after Piper's real-life face turn). The show followed predictable cartoon archetypes concerning “good guys” triumphing over “bad guys” in wacky situations typical of 1980’s children’s cartoons [citation needed].

Almost every episode either began or ended with a wrestling match, with the “faces”, or good guys, almost always triumphing over the “heels”, or villains (a heel wrestler only won the match in three episodes). [5] In addition to providing their own voices, the wrestlers also appeared in live-action segments of the show. [6]

Due to the show being animated and the longer production times that resulted, it often failed to keep pace with the events of the WWF at the time. This resulted in certain wrestlers turning “heel” in regular WWF programming but remaining good guys on the cartoon, and vice versa. In Season 2, however, Roddy Piper left the “heel” team and joined up with Steamboat’s crew.

WWF retains rights to the program today.

Characters
Ricky Steamboat was the leader of the faces, or good guys; consisting of Hulk Hogan, Junkyard Dog, Captain Lou Albano, Andre the Giant, Wendi Richter, Jimmy Snuka, Hillbilly Jim, and Tito Santana.

Roddy Piper was originally the leader of the heels, or bad guys; consisting of Davey Boy Smith, Dynamite Kid, Bret Hart, Jim Neidhart, the Iron Sheik, Nikolai Volkoff, the Fabulous Moolah, and Big John Studd. Piper left the heel team and became a member of Steamboat’s group at the beginning of Season 2, replacing the recently-retired “Captain” Lou Albano. Dynamite Kid took over as the leader of the heels after this occurred.

Bobby “the Brain” Heenan and “Mean” Gene Okerlund also appeared in animated form in a few episodes.

Music
The theme to Ricky Steamboat’s Rock ‘n Wrestling was “Steamboat”, composed by Jim Steinman. Many people [who?] remember the theme for the group of singers chanting “Steam! Boat!” to the beat of the music. [7] The vocal version of the song is called “Ravishing”, which is sung by Bonnie Tyler, and is featured on her album Secret Dreams and Forbidden Fire.

Steamboat’s entrance music in the WWF at the time, “Sirius” by The Alan Parsons Project, could not be used due to copyright laws.

Episode list
Season 1 (1985)
1. The Junkyard 500 / Junkenstein
2. The Four-Legged Pickpocket
3. Clean Gene / Andre’s Giant Problem
4. Gorilla My Dreams
5. Cheaters Never Prosper / Driving Me Crazy
6. The Wrestler’s New Clothes / Steamboat’s Scouts
7. Hog Society / Wrestling Roommates
8. Moolah’s Ugly Salon / Ballot Box Boneheads
9. The Duke of Dynamite / Robin Steamboat and His Merry Wrestlers
10. Small But Mighty
11. Rock ‘n Zombies
12. The Last Resort
13. Steamboat’s Sleepover

Season 2 (1986)
1. Rowdy Roddy Reforms
2. Alibano and His 40 Geeks
3. Captain Lou’s Crash Diet / Muscle Madness
4. Bucket
5. Big John’s Car Lot / Big Top Boobs
6. The Foster Wrestler
7. Ballet Buffoons / Battle of the Bands
8. Amazons Just Wanna Have Fun
9. The Art of Wrestling / The Blue Lagoon
10. The Superfly Express
11. Junkyard Dog’s Junkyard Dog / My Fair Wrestler
12. Ghost Wrestlers
13. The Wrong Stuff

Season 3 (1987) [8]
1. Three Little Dragons / Hulk’s Surfing Contest
2. The Magic Hillbilly
3. Steamboat’s Safari
4. Beach Blanket Bozos / The Missing Champion
5. Hogan Takes a Holiday / Mama Junkyard
6. Be Careful What You Wish For / Roddy-Go-Round
7. School Daze
8. Double Trouble
9. Jim Joins the Army / Dynamite’s Gold Mine
10. Neidhart’s Newspaper / Yo Andre!
11. Laugh It Up
12. The Big Shrink
13. Steamboat’s Christmas

Voices [9]
Ricky Steamboat – Himself
Dynamite Kid – Himself
Hulk Hogan – Himself
“Rowdy” Roddy Piper – Himself
Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka – Himself
Junkyard Dog – Himself
Wendi Richter – Herself
Davey Boy Smith – Himself
Bret Hart – Himself
Jim “the Anvil” Neidhart – Himself
“Captain” Lou Albano – Himself
Ron Feinberg – Andre the Giant
Hillbilly Jim – Himself
Ron Gans – Nikolai Volkoff
Aron Kincaid – The Iron Sheik
The Fabulous Moolah – Herself
Big John Studd – Himself
Tito Santana – Himself

[1] This product never existed IOTL.

[2] This commercial, seen here, is unchanged from OTL.

[3] Based on this real-life commercial from OTL.

[4] IOTL, Hulk Hogan’s Rock ‘n Wrestling ran for two seasons, from September 14, 1985 to December 6, 1986, with reruns lasting until June 7, 1987. By the way, there’s something significant about the end-date of the new episodes of the cartoon, but I’m getting ahead of myself.

[5] IOTL, wrestling was rarely even mentioned on the show. In fact, only one wrestling match was ever seen to occur, a match between Hulk Hogan and Roddy Piper in which the Hulkster bested the Rowdy one.

[6] IOTL, none of the wrestlers did their own voices. Hulk Hogan was voiced by comedian Brad Garrett, Charlie Adler (the future voice of Buster Bunny on Tiny Toon Adventures) lent his voice to Roddy Piper, and James Avery (AKA “Uncle Phil” from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) voiced the Junkyard Dog, just to name a few.

[7] Yep, this is the same theme song where the people chanted “Hulk! Hulk!”

[8] IOTL, a Season 3 of Rock 'n Wrestling was never made. Thus, every episode title here is entirely my creation.

[9] Every wrestler except three voices themselves in TTL’s version of Rock ‘n Wrestling. I feel that little kids would have trouble understanding the accents of Andre, Sheik and Volkoff, so their voice actors are the same as OTL. Andre, Sheik and Volkoff still appear in the live-action segments, however.

And there's our look at some of the ways TTL's WWF influences pop culture in the year 1985. Don't you wish you could have been a part of it? I have to give credit to Andrew T, who inspired me with his clever use of faux Wikipedia articles in his own timeline to do one of my own.

Still to come, we visit the NWA to see how they're coping with the WWF's sudden surge in popularity. And just on the horizon: the return of Hulk Hogan! Stay tuned!

Good update.

At least we know Hogan will be in the WWF in the near future and will remain a face (let's face it, he was pretty popular at this point OTL). OTOH, he might become a better wrestler (view his Japanese matches; he apparently is pretty decent, as I mentioned in an earlier post).

March 26, 1988 was the first Clash of the Champions OTL in the NWA/WCW.

I wonder if we will see Iron Man matches earlier in the WWF (I can certainly see them between Savage and Steamboat in TTL).

At least the quality of wrestling is better TTL, IMO.

Last edited:
In addition, another wrestler who could feud with Ricky Steamboat would be...Adrian Adonis.

Have you heard of him, The_Walkman?

Good update.

At least we know Hogan will be in the WWF in the near future and will remain a face (let's face it, he was pretty popular at this point OTL). OTOH, he might become a better wrestler (view his Japanese matches; he apparently is pretty decent, as I mentioned in an earlier post).

Hogan will indeed stick around in the WWF for the foreseeable future. As for making him any 'better', I unfortunately don't see that happening.

March 26, 1988 was the first Clash of the Champions OTL in the NWA/WCW.

Indeed it was.

I wonder if we will see Iron Man matches earlier in the WWF (I can certainly see them between Savage and Steamboat in TTL).

Unfortunately, the Iron Man match will have to wait a while, as will Steamboat vs. Savage.

At least the quality of wrestling is better TTL, IMO.

Glad you think so. But just to forewarn you, we will see some pretty bad pay-per-views pretty soon.

Can't wait for the epic return of Hulk Hogan!

It's gonna be a happening alright!

In addition, another wrestler who could feud with Ricky Steamboat would be...Adrian Adonis.

Have you heard of him, The_Walkman?

Have I heard of him? He'll be an integral part of the AWA in the next five or six years ITTL!

Summer-Fall 1985: The Hulkster Returns
70.jpg

I’m going backwards somewhat here, but it’s necessary for storytelling purposes. Now, let’s get started!

June 3, 1985

Former WWF Tag Team Champion Barry Windham asked to be released from his WWF contract on 5/30. He is expected to be heading to the NWA in the next several months. Whether or not Windham will appear at Starrcade in November remains to be seen, but with his real-life friends Dusty Rhodes and Magnum T.A. on the card, it seems to be a safe bet.

Speaking of hirings and releases, Vince McMahon, Jr. has signed former NWA Heavyweight Champions, brothers Dory Jr. and Terry Funk, to WWF contracts. Terry made his debut on Championship Wrestling this week, defeating jobber Aldo Marino and attacking announcer Mel Phillips. There is currently no word on when Dory will make his debut.

Another major acquisition McMahon has made this past week is Memphis’ Randy Savage. Savage is still making appearances in Memphis, where he is booked to meet Jerry Lawler in a Loser Leaves Town Match on 6/8. It is expected that once Savage loses that match, he will leave Memphis for WWF.

Hulk Hogan is scheduled to return to in-ring action quite soon. Look for WWF to advertise Hogan’s return, which could be as soon as one of the upcoming Saturday Night’s Main Event specials on NBC, throughout the next four to six months.

—Excerpt from the Wrestling Observer Newsletter from June 3, 1985

July 8, 1985

At a house show at Sullivan Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts, the first “King of the Ring” tournament is held. Don Muraco defeats Tito Santana in the finals of the one-night tournament to become the first-ever “King of the Ring”. [1]

August 22, 1985

Mike Von Erich, the second-youngest son of Fritz Von Erich, has shoulder surgery in Dallas, Texas. He is released four days later with no apparent complications, but about a week afterward, his body temperature soars to 107 degrees Fahrenheit. He battles toxic shock syndrome over the next month, and once released from the hospital, announces his retirement from wrestling, much to the chagrin and disappointment of his father. [2]

October 5, 1985

The second Saturday Night’s Main Event special airs on NBC. One of the focal points is the on-screen wedding between Uncle Elmer and his real-life bride, Joyce Stazko. Intercontinental Champion Roddy Piper interrupts the wedding, and has to be run out. In the main event, Ricky Steamboat defeats “King of the Ring” champion “The Magnificent” Don Muraco to retain the WWF Championship. The show also features a squash match in which Uncle Elmer destroys Jerry Valiant in twelve seconds, setting a record for the shortest match in the WWF, and Tito Santana & Brutus Beefcake defeat King Kong Bundy & Big John Studd via count-out to retain the Tag Team Titles. After the match, the Hart Foundation emerge from the back, stand atop the ramp and stare down the champions, as Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart make the sign for the belts around their waist.

Full Saturday Night’s Main Event #2 Card

Andre the Giant def. Greg “the Hammer” Valentine (4:22)
Uncle Elmer def. Jerry Valiant (0:12)
WWF Championship: Ricky “the Dragon” Steamboat (c) def. “Magnificent” Don Muraco (8:14)
“Mr. Wonderful” Paul Orndorff def. Tony Atlas (5:52)
WWF Tag Team Championships: Tito Santana & Brutus Beefcake (c) def. King Kong Bundy & Big John Studd via Count-Out (9:22)

November 2, 1985

QUOTES FROM THE OPENING OF SATURDAY NIGHT’S MAIN EVENT #3

(As the broadcast begins, we see “Mean” Gene Okerlund with a mic, and dressed as a pumpkin)

GENE OKERLUND: Mmm…my my, this candy looks good…Oh, hello there! Happy Halloween, everybody! “Pumpkin” Gene Okerlund here; and do we have a show for you tonight! Now, we…well, you can see my, uh, festive Halloween apparel here. And yes, we’ve got many, many more Halloween shenanigans for you later on, but also, in my view, the most incredible night—well, the reason many of you, no doubt, tuned in tonight—the return of the one and only, Hulk Hogan! (Camera zooms out to see Hogan beside Okerlund) Hulk, first off, let me be the first to welcome you back to the World Wrestling Federation! Second off, let me ask you the question on everyone's mind: are you, in fact, well enough to take part in this massive main-event tag team contest tonight, teaming up with Andre the Giant and Ricky “the Dragon” Steamboat?

HULK HOGAN: Well you know somethin’, Mean Gene, I’ve been sittin’ at home biding my time, nursing and licking my wounds, just waiting for the day I could come back! And I’ll tell ya’ somethin’ brother, I saw everything going on in the WWF! And I saw when “the Dragon” Ricky Steamboat dedicated his WWF Title win to me; and that touched me deep inside, brother! But another thing I saw; I saw that nasty Muraco and what he did to the Dragon! I saw how he took the Dragon’s headband and almost choked the life out of him a few weeks ago! And Mean Gene, it hurt me deep inside! I just couldn’t sit around and watch a great champion, a fighting champion like Ricky Steamboat take that kind of punishment! And I just can’t wait to see Steamboat, Andre the Giant, and myself run wild all over Bundy, Studd, and the Magnificent Muraco!!!

OKERLUND: Also, ladies and gentlemen, tonight, we’ll see the World Wrestling Federation Tag Team Championships on the line, when Tito Santana and Brutus Beefcake take on the Hart Foundation’s Bret Hart and “the Anvil” Jim Neidhart. Now, Tito, if I may, Jimmy “Mouth of the South” Hart has said that his Hart Foundation is the best tag team in the WWF today.

TITO SANTANA: Mean Gene, Jimmy Hart can talk all he wants! The fact is that my amigo Beefcake and I, we are the best tag team in the WWF today, and that’s why we have the tag team belts! And tonight, we’re gonna put those little punks in the Hart Foundation in their place! Arriba!

BRUTUS BEEFCAKE: Hart, Neidhart, we want a piece of the both of you! Do you have the guts to face me and Tito tonight?!

(The camera cuts to the Hart Foundation in another part of the backstage area)

JIMMY HART: Hahahahaha! Santana and Beefcake, you clearly don’t know who you’re dealing with here! We are the Hart Foundation, the ultimate force in professional tag team wrestling today!

BRET HART: We are the best there is in the WWF! And tonight, we’ll prove it to the world by winning the Tag Team Championships!

JIM NEIDHART: Tito, Beefcake—look into our eyes! Look into the eyes of the future of the WWF! Tonight, you’ll see it, when the Anvil comes down on both your heads!! Hahahahahahaha!!!

On the third episode of Saturday Night’s Main Event, taped on Halloween night, many grudge matches dominate the card. The first match of the night sees Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart defeat Santana & Beefcake to win the WWF Tag Team Championships, going over clean with a Hart Attack. Roddy Piper successfully defends his Intercontinental Title against Uncle Elmer, after both men are counted out while brawling outside the ring. WWF newcomer Terry Funk also beats the Junkyard Dog, and the WWF also airs the premiere of their first “music video”, a cover of Cannibal & the Headhunters’ “Land of 1,000 Dances” (the song would eventually hit #40 on the Billboard Charts). [3] The big news, however, is the in-ring return of Hulk Hogan—Hogan teams up with Andre the Giant and WWF Champion Ricky Steamboat to take on King Kong Bundy, Big John Studd, and Don Muraco. The match ends in disqualification when Bundy, Studd and Muraco triple-team Andre, but Steamboat and Hogan make the save.

Full Saturday Night’s Main Event #3 Card

WWF Tag Team Championships: Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart (w/ Davey Boy Smith, Dynamite Kid & Jimmy Hart) def. Tito Santana & Brutus Beefcake (c) (9:14)
Ricky “the Dragon” Steamboat, Hulk Hogan & Andre the Giant def. “Magnificent” Don Muraco, King Kong Bundy & Big John Studd via Disqualification (8:03)
Terry Funk def. Junkyard Dog (5:16)
WWF Intercontinental Championship: “Rowdy” Roddy Piper (c) wrestled Uncle Elmer to a Double Count-Out (5:34)

[1] IOTL, Muraco also won the first King of the Ring tournament, but he defeated the Iron Sheik to do it. Muraco is still a heel ITTL, so he has to defeat a babyface, no?

[2] IOTL, Von Erich returned to the ring mere weeks after being released from the hospital. Ric Flair himself said Fritz Von Erich was to blame for this, stating that Fritz wanted Mike to “take the place” of the late David Von Erich, who died in February 1984 and was much more athletically gifted than his younger brother. Presumably unhappy with his wrestling career (many of Mike’s peers say he never even wanted to be a wrestler in the first place), Mike eventually committed suicide in April 1986 by overdosing on alcohol and pills. Here, young Mike listens to his peers rather than his father, and while he’s ousted from his family for it, at least he survives—for now, anyway.

[3] The music video, which also aired on MTV, can be viewed here. The WWF’s version of the song never charted IOTL.

And just like that, Hulk Hogan returns to the WWF. But has his presence in the World Title picture run its course, or is it just getting started? Also, with new Tag Champions, how will the tag team division in the WWF be shaken up? And just why is Jim Crockett so obsessed with steel cages? All these questions, and more, will be answered soon!

Up next: the long-awaited Starrcade '85.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.