The Restored Republic

The War had broiled over from a small argument in 1850, when the Texans refused to give up there lands to the Federal government.

When the current President Milliard Fillmore openly demanded that Texas cede its land to the government, it whipped up a frenzy of resentment and regret in the former Republic, with many leaders calling for “independence from the greedy behemoth that is the United States government”

The leader of the movement to Restore Texan Independence, a young and energetic man named Richard Coke, a mere 21 years old. He was joined by a committee of supporters numbering in the dozens, from all of over the state of Texas. Most of which favored an all out breach with the United States through peaceful secession. Most viewed the fact that Texas, having joined not 5 years before, had more than enough right to leave.

The debate turned even more heated in early 1851, with the election of Coke to the Governorship, and most of the legislature becoming filled with supporters and members of the old Lone Star Congress.

Upon his taking office, he made a statement declaring that all lands part of the state before joining the Union, will now and forever be part of the state. This speech, once reaching Washington, sent Fillmore into a rage, and he asked Congress to decide on a solution that would strip Texas of much of its land.

Congress failed to reach an agreement, and by February of '51, causing the body to largely give up. The divide seemed quite obvious, with the southern states mostly siding with Texas, stating that the land was an integral part of the former Republic, and thus left to Texan jurisdiction. The northern states meanwhile stated that since Texas had joined the Union, it had given up its claim to the land.

This disagreement between North and South continued to divide the country, with other rivalries beginning to thrash out from across the Mason Dixon. With many among them including disputes about trade, the growth of Northern strength, and the more industry oriented federal government. South Carolinian John C Calhoun, who stated that “while we... states of this Union are brothers, it seems that our brothers in the North... have lost the way of the Founding Fathers... and this nations foundation on the rights of the states.”

By June of 1851, the states of Virginia, Alabama, South Carolina, Louisiana, and Kentucky had all expressed large amounts of support for Texas, and demanded that the federal government back down on its demands against Texas. Fillmore responded with a bold declaration, stating that if Texas did not cede the lands below the Missouri Compromise line by September of 1851, he would send in troops to take the region.

Several weeks passed, with no response from Texas, and all eyes were on the President when October of '51 arrived. Seeing that he could either have the federal government lose all authority, and have himself become a laughing stock of history, or exert the governments strength and secure its position over the states, President Fillmore chose the second option, ordering 4 regiments under General Franklin Pierce to secure the region by any means necessary.

When the force arrived in the area, they were met by a heavily encamped Texan force numbering about 2 regiments. When the Federals arrived, the Texans sent a man to talk with Pierce. He was rebuked, and sent back with only a few words “to leave”.

When the Texans refused, a tense standoff arose between the the forces, with the Texans being ordered to not fire unless fired upon. For 2 weeks the sides had a standoff, until on October 25th, 1851, a roudy Federal from New York decided to shoot a few blanks at the Texans after drinking some whiskey. He fired several shots, aiming at the soldiers in the camp, until he accidentally fired an actual bullet, instead of a blank, and he shot a young Texan corporal, leading to a large fire fight.

The Texans fought valiently, but being enormously outnumberd, they were eventually overcome and only a half dozen survived, only to be executed for treason against the United States. When news of the Battle struck out, causing massive outrage across the South, calling for revenge for the slaughter of the Two Rivers.

The news of the slaughter caused a massive stir in Austin, leading to a large meeting of representatives from across the state, which voted to restore the Lone Star Republic, and officially separate itself from the United States of America, with Richard Coke as the nations new President.

Last edited:
This looks interesting.

I'd like to see the effects on the world.

Is it possible to take it the present day?

Filmore's actions are patently illegal. The Federal government cannot take state land unilaterally which is why in OTL it was bought in exchange for paying Texas' crushing debt of $10 million. If Filmore tries he's going to be slapped down by the Supreme Court possibly removed from office, and it's likely that the army would refuse to follow orders to attack the Texans on what was legally and publicly known as Texas land. And he's not going to get much support from the North who in 1860 showed that they'd rather admit another slave state than go to war. They offered to make New Mexico a slave state as a last ditch effort to prevent Southern secession.

Also, letting Texas keep the New Mexico territory prevents any new slave states so it's actually in the abolitionist's favor to let them have it. Other than making an already terrible presidency worse I don't see what Filmore expects to accomplish.

I feel like an ass for criticizing though because it's really well written and I'd like to read more.

Antebellum balance of power

It's quite nicely written, but I have questions about the PoD. First, the balance of power in the sectional disputes in the 1850s, and second, the power of the executive at that time.

1) Sectionally, the south was quite dominant before 1860, in the Senate especially. It's hard to see how the Texans wouldn't get their massive government debt written off - given the political feuding at the time. They're augmenting the strength of the dominant section, gaining a big chunk of territory, etc. The story of US politics before 1860 is that the Southern section tended to get most of its way.

2) Is the Northern section all on fire to expand Federal power at this time? As an expansion of power, the Fugitive Slave Act was viewed as a huge, dangerous over-reach of federal power. If anything, in this time period, its the North suspicious of Federal power reaching in and grabbing people who may have been free under state laws. Is Filmore going to be able to raise an army in the name of Federal power from Northern states who are right now mad as heck about it?

3) Most of the men who were President before 1860 and not named Jackson tended to conceive of themselves as chief magistrates. Is Filmore even going to have the imagination to say "I'm President, I can go in and grab things?" It's not a thought that tended to compassed by people not named Jackson at this time. Similarly, having people executed for treason is quite hard under the American legal system - is Filmore going to have the imagination, ability, to do this?

I realize somethings are an issue here such as Fillmores actions being illegal, and the issue of the South being a bit stronger, but a few hot headed actions can make Fillmore act like an idiot, and honestly, the idea of the Supreme Court hitting him hard sounds like an interesting concept to add into this.

And on the soliders who were executed, it wasnt by trial, it was a more heat of the moment show trial for the Feds and your dead kinda thing.

Seeing as the routes already occuring with this update, what things should I keep in mind in order to keep it at least reasonably plausible and away from ASB?

Oh! Is Cali a state yet or no? This is big for the timeline.

And I assumed since its less than 10 years before a powerful industrial giant of the north becomes loving the Feds, it can make sense to have the northerners love the Feds early.

That and I wished to have a Civil War timeline that wasnt revolving around race and slavery, rather what the modern south claims nowadays, for states rights.

Oh! And a restored Republic of Texas :D

Last edited:
Interesting premise.

And California became a state with the Compromise of 1850, which looks to have been butterflied away in this TL.

I wonder if the Southern states would so readily join Texas in its fight. They'll obviously criticize Fillmore and his overreach, but I don't quite think it means their secession. Like Escape Zeppelin said, the South would rather break up Texas and add more slave states.

Perhaps the outraged and new Republic of Texas can get in a three-way fight with the Southern states and Northern states over the territories, especially California and New Mexico.

And I assumed since its less than 10 years before a powerful industrial giant of the north becomes loving the Feds, it can make sense to have the northerners love the Feds early.

That and I wished to have a Civil War timeline that wasnt revolving around race and slavery, rather what the modern south claims nowadays, for states rights.

I'm the one of first person whod like to see a mid-19th timeline that wasn't all about slavery and civil war, so carry on. But there's two things here: after 1850, there's really no way to take the issue of slavery out of the national discourse, especially after the 1850 Fugitive Slave Act. Also, there's the fact it was the Civil War (and to be really honest, the New Deal) that give any meaning to this idea of Federal power and state's rights.

All of this, with the obvious caveat, like a lot of antebellum US History, that if you're Andrew Jackson, all bets are off.

I'm the one of first person whod like to see a mid-19th timeline that wasn't all about slavery and civil war, so carry on. But there's two things here: after 1850, there's really no way to take the issue of slavery out of the national discourse, especially after the 1850 Fugitive Slave Act. Also, there's the fact it was the Civil War (and to be really honest, the New Deal) that give any meaning to this idea of Federal power and state's rights.

All of this, with the obvious caveat, like a lot of antebellum US History, that if you're Andrew Jackson, all bets are off.

I had the Slave Act butterflied away, so it hasnt occured. And honestly, I just typed this up, I have no further set plans.

Also, how much of the Mexican lands should Texas be able to claim?

Just a small update

Talk of the Slaughter of Two Rivers had spread like wildfire across the country, as had the news of the Texans secession, which had rocked the nation, not so much in the South as it did in the North. With the Texans leaving, it brought a major issue of secession, and leaving the Union, more prominent. The reason for its shaking the Northern states was due to the issue it had had with the South for decades now, the issue of slavery and its expansion into the western lands. With the Lone Star State leaving, it meant that the Northern states could leave as well, and be free of there Southern brothers.

Advocates of secession were William Lloyd Garrison, who lead a small group of the political elites of the New England region, all of which were bitterly opposed to the cruelty and barbarism of African slavery below the Mason Dixon. While most of his supporters were from the states of Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New Hampshire, he also had a small base of supporters in the states of Maine and Vermont, which called themselves the Universal Freedom Coalition; which favored the ending of slavery or the ending of Union with the United States.

Other opponents of slavery, such as Wendell Philips and Robert Pulvis, supported the Coalitions goals, though deemed some of there actions a bit hasty in there demands. While numerous others supported the abolition of slavery, the only regions that actually had large populations that would agree and choose to secede were New England and Pennsylvania, where resentment towards the Southern states and the federal government was strong.

Had the Texan Secession not occurred, the groups probably would have dissolved with no preset on secession, but due to the fact they now had a history of it, the debate slowly faded away and the party's themselves grew ever stronger, with Philips being elected to the Governorship of Massachusetts in the middle of 1851, of which most of his advisers were radical abolitionists, and members of the Universal Freedom Coalition. With Phillips ascension to the governors chair, the radicals of New England would have there leader.

Last edited:
The Trial of President Milliard Fillmore took place from December 19th 1851, through December 23rd, resulting in his impeachment by the House and succeeding with a stronger majority in the Senate, leading to his removal from office and President Pro Tempore of the Senate, William R. King is sworn in as President of the United States of America.

Kings ascension to the Presidency sent shock waves throughout the United States, as King was owner of a large salve holding plantation in Alabama and was firmly in favor of expanding slavery westward, as well as helping the South in terms of this matter. The shock waves hit hardest in New England, where the site of a slave holder and advocate of its expansion throws them into a firing rage, with an advisory to Governor Philips stating "with King having the Presidency, he might as well have a throne, should he have his way the evils of slavery will expand into the west, and we will be viewed as cowards for staying with them. We must separate, and save our souls to heaven, whilst they take theirs with them to hell"

The adviser's, (who's name has been lost to history), words set off a chain reaction in Phillips mind, and he calls for a meeting of the Massachusets legislature, stating the same words as his adviser had, and adding a few others "It is our fathers wish, and our purpose to keep this state, and its lands, and its people free of harm and of evil. When our forfathers first settled this land, they did so in the name of freedom and the fact that no man shall be kept a slave, or forever sworn to a master. That is why when the British started to treat Massachusetts and her fellow colonies as slaves, we resisted, and eventually separated to establish ourselves free of our old masters. History has begun to repeat itself with President Kings taking office. With his role as President and the Southern dominated Congress, the country will have no choice but to expand the evils of slavery westward, and stain our hands and our grandsons hands with the blood of thousands. Let us, instead of being held a slave, a prisoner to ol Dixie, do as our fathers did and break away, form a nation truly based on freedom for all men. It is today I ask you, my friends and neighbors, to withdraw our state from this Union and declare our independence, to be free as our own Republic. Gentlemen, I commit to you this sacred cause. Your action upon this subject will affect the present and future condition of hundreds and of thousands. In this act, as in all things, may you exercise that "wisdom which is the breath of the power of God."

The legislature debated the motion for several hours before finally, by a vote of 56 to 22, agreeing to independence, signing a document known as the Ordinance of Secession and the Establishment of the Republic. The date was December 31st, 1851.

Last edited:
The weeks following the secession of Massachusetts were ones of tension and unrest throughout the North, namely in the Northeast where the states of Rhode Island, New Hampshire, and Maine all overwhelmingly voted to join there Bostonian brothers in independence. The 4 states met in Boston on February 9th of 52', where they agreed to unite with each other in the Declaration of Federation. The Declaration stated the reasons for each states leaving the Old Union, and the goals, laws, and basis of the new government that was to be established in the following days.

The Constitution took the delegates less than a week until it was finished, with it ending out very similar to the United States constitution, aside from the definite exclusion of slavery and some other actions which gave the states certain rights and protections against the Federal government. The states agreed to unite under the name of the "Federation of American States", or F.A.S. for short. There leader was Governor Phillips of Massachusetts, who elected in a landslide as provisional President of the new nation.

On February 21st, the Federation sent delegates to Washington in order to settle issues such as water rights and trading, as fishing was a major New England industry and was almost essential to its economy. President King refused to meet with the delegates, calling them traitors and cowards, as well as other choice words, and had guards force them from the room. Upon leaving the delegates issued a statement stating "this is the reason we left... the Union. With you in power... New England...and the North's way of life are in danger"

News of Kings reaction to the F.A.S.'s envoy caused numerous protests across the remaining Northeastern states, namely Connecticut and New York, where trade was essential and disputes and war could ruin them should a conflict break out with the Federation. President Kings actions had been a blight and an insult to not only states that had seceded, but also to those which had chosen to stay behind. This caused large amounts of anger and resentment in the region, enough it seemed to cause other states to follow; as Connecticut had called for a convention on whether or not to leave the Union, and join the Federation. There eyes were set on President King, as to see his reaction, as were most of those in the United States.

"We are the Federation of American States and we are lazy at vexillology!"

But disregarding the honestly rather bland flag (which I would offer you a redesign of), I liked the update. I think it's very likely for Upstate New York, Vermont and Connecticut to joining the FAS, though further expansion is possible, I think (and I'm certain you will have other states at least holding conventions).

Last edited:
"We are the Federation of American States and we are lazy at vexillology!"

But disregarding the honestly rather bland flag (which I would offer you a redesign of), I liked the update. I think it's very likely for Upstate New York, Vermont and Connecticut to joining the FAS, though further expansion is possible, I think (and I'm certain you will have other states at least holding conventions).

I would absolutley love a flag from you, the one I made is way to bland and Americany for my taste. Take it to where your heart desires :D But I ask you keep the number 4 number constant, for the first 4 states :p

I would absolutley love a flag from you, the one I made is way to bland and Americany for my taste. Take it to where your heart desires :D But I ask you keep the number 4 number constant, for the first 4 states :p

Okay, Ashlee! Expect one in the next ten hours ;)