The Reign of King John I of France

I like this so far. As I've said in another thread covering roughly this time period, the fourteenth century is really underutilized in alternate history.

Chapter 34: Path to War (part 1)

Proclamation of the King of France to be read aloud and delivered across the realm:

« We, John by the grace of God, King of France and Navarre, Count of Champagne, to all bishops, abbots, ricos hombres, dukes, counts, barons, lords, merinos, bailiffs, seneschals, provosts, stewards, masters and servants, to all our faithful and loyal subjects both Franks, Occitan, Jews and Navarrese alike , greetings.

It has been known to all that the perfidious plots and aggressions of the King of England in the northern realm of Scotland, our allies, as well as the several infractions and abuses in Guyenne without any respect to our seneschals and provosts are against every treaty and agreement signed between our realms.

Therefore, since Edward, King of England, Lord of Ireland, Duke of Guyenne has refused to attend the bed of justice in front of our well-loved and esteemed Regent, Philippe of Poitiers and the peers of the kingdom, with regrets, we proclaim that we are at war against the said King of England and we invite every subject of our dominions to take actions against any representative or men of the king of England.

We also inform our vassals that the ost of France shall meet near the town of Angoulesme on October 20th and that the ost of Navarre shall meet on October 10th near the town of Puenta-la-Reina. We charge our constables of our respective realms to gather our levies in mentioned places.

Dear vassals and subjects, it is our wish that this war will be short and that justice being done over the pending disputes in the duchy of Guyenne and that the peace be reestablished soon. May God help us; grant us victory and his blessings over all of you.

Given under our hand, in the Palais de la Cité, in the city of Paris on fifteenth day of September in the fifteenth year of our reign.
(France)

Given under our hand, in our Palace of Pamplona, on the twenty-fifth day in the fifteenth year of our reign
. » (Navarre)

Signed

John, rex Franciae, Navarrae, comes Campaniae

Philippe, comes Pictavensis,Comes Palatini Burgundiae,Franciae regens
Juan de Juasso, cancelliarius Navarrae
Miles de Noyers, cancelliarius Franciae

Last edited:
This should be interesting. Is it safe to assume that with this war, John hopes to conquer all of the English holdings in France?

Yes, he should as everyone does in the French court, but for this timeline I planned for France to gain Guyenne by some peaceful way.

Last edited:
A victory would strengthen the King position in both Kingdom. How old is the King? If he is old enough he shouldn't need a regent anymore since it would send the wrong messages (incapable ruler) to his vassals and foreign emissaries.

The King is now 14 and believe John is getting tired of the Regency (see chapter 21) and there are some barons in France that are feeling the same.

EDIT: In my previous post I planned for John to gain Guyenne (not Navarre) by some peaceful way.

Chapter 34: Path to War (part 2)

A chilly breeze ran through the court of the Crozent Castle. Yes, autumn was coming into the county of la Marche. Philippe of Crozent was overseeing the preparations of his men in the main court. He could see his dear wife Lady Aude at the window of his keep. She was smiling at him inher lovely green surcoat , but he could clearly see that her grin hid anxiety. He knew it. Philippe replied by waving his hand, hoping that he could see her again after this umpteenth war against those damn English. We was suddenly stopped by his lieutenant Onfroi :

- My lord, the men are ready and are awaiting your orders.

- Excellent, how many did we raised from our domain?

- Well, with the work of your provosts we did levy 140 men .

- How many on horses?

- 32, the rest on foot, my Lord.

- Very good, now we shall go to Bellac to meet our liege.

- Very well, I will tell the men to get ready to move.

- Good, oh... and tell Acelin to pack my armor.

Philippe mounted on his horse, throwing a last glance at his fortress and began to lead his men out of the castle. After a three hours of road, the group was joined by a small band led by Pierre de la Deunière.

-Ah, my cousin of Crozent, here you are!

- Glad to see you here, joining us for the King's war, cousin, said Philippe de Crozent, but why did you not join us sooner.

-Well, I was delayed by a group of peasants who complained about a recent robbery.

-And what did you do about it?

-Well, I just told these beggars that I would report back to the Lady Joan.

-Hmm, good to know. How is the dowager countess? It’s been a long time since I’ve seen her.

-Well, she is still that virtuous widow trying to manage her son’s county. I’ve heard she missed you a lot!

-Me, why!?

-Don’t do your innocent virgin , cousin, everyone in Bellac, knows, that you are her favorite, some even say that…

-Enough! I’ve heard those rumours. They are false. Yes, it is true that I have a great relation with her, notably thanks to my late father who was friend of hers. I am only her servant as she is my liege for now. And when she will no longer be regent for her son, then Louis will become my true liege and I shall serve him with the same zeal!

- Alright, my cousin, alright, sorry for irking you! What do say about a small drink eh? We are approaching the town of Arnac. There should be an inn somewhere. Hmm, what do say about making halt my dear friend?

-Well, some people say that in wine is truth, I will say that in wine sometimes lies friendship....and women !

The pair laughed, remembering all the bonds that united their lives and how good it was to be in each other company.

Chapter 34: Path to War (part 3)

-This isn’t our war, my king! , screamed Pedro de Urroz, England may be France’s enemy but not Navarre’s!

The throne room was filled with his noisy voice that verged on insolence. But John wasn’t the kind of person to get angry easily because of the dissatisfaction of a vassal.

- Navarre always loved peace and tried to keep, since the great kings of the House of Jimenez, peace with her neighbours, continued Urroz, therefore in the name of ricos hombres as well of the nobility of the kingdom as well as for the realm ‘sake I ask you my liege to withdraw Navarre from this conflict. We have nothing to gain from this war, my king.

John bit his lips, thinking that he about the grave error he had done in a kingdom where power and authority depended on the collaboration between the king and the Estates in the political affairs. He wished he could excuse himself in front of his court, but as his uncle taught him, a King must remain firm and calm towards everyone.

- My dear vassal of Urroz, I understand your concerns. Peace should the primary goal of every king in Europe, but unfortunately there are so many things that make universal peace impossible. I am King of France and as King of France I am at war against my cousin of England for reasons we all know. But hear me Urroz, when I am at war with anyone, it is all my possessions who are at war!

«Stay calm John, stay calm John», was saying the young king to himself.

Moreover, do you think Urroz, that Edward will make the difference between Navarre and France? No, since both realms share the same king, enemy king, then both realms are his enemies for him. There is no distinction for him in this war.

«Thank God! », said John to himself

- Very true, my liege, said Juan de Juasso, from now on, there is a state of war from Flanders to Navarre. Subjects from all these places owe allegiance to one King. And when this King is threatened, all his possessions who are threatened by the devious King of England, are at war!

Many hear! , hear! , rised from the crowd assisting to the debate.

Urroz would have like to reply, but the king stopped him to do so:

- Gentlemen, I wish to convoke the Estates of the realm on September 31th. I shall ask them to levy taxes and grant me the necessary funds for the war as well as their opinion on it, since it is true that I forgot to consult the people of Navarre on the issue. I declare this assembly dismissed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 5th, 1331

To my dear uncle of Poitiers, Regent of France, greetings.

I hope Uncle that you are in good health as well as Aunt Joan. Navarre is an interesting realm. The pastures of the Pyrenees are beautiful just like the countryside. But it is definitely an Iberian Kingdom, where the powers of the kings are limited by a document called Fueros. I think that you already knew that. I invited the Estates of Navarre to meet on September 31th in Pamplona. We discussed and despite initial opposition and hesitation, we all agreed to levy troops and money for the war. New taxes will be raised and the Estates immediately granted me 10 000 livres to the royal treasury. As I speak of money, there is a lot of different coins circulating in Navarre; sanchetes, torneses as well as Aragonese and Castilian coins. It seems that Navarrese coinage has difficulty to impose itself. I plan soon to introduce an ordinance about it. I have lot ideas and reforms for this kingdom !

The country is rich and prosperous, I and Bonne visited Pamplona where I met rabbis of the local Jewish community. The town, home of my secretary Manuel, is an intellectual center and could be the host of a future university, just like Paris. I just wrote to the Holy Father, requesting a Papal Bull the right of teaching canon law as well as other privileges usually granted to universities.

After, we went to Olite, where I am writing you this letter. With Bonne, we try to forget about the war with walks in a nearby forest and hunts with the local nobility. People here just like everywhere we went are glad to see us and the Queen took the opportunity to give alms to the poor. My constable Afonso de Villabolos is gathering the men who will accompany me into my campaign on the other side of the Pyrenees. Everything seems good here and I am eager to see you. How are doing my mother and my sister Joan. Are my twins doing well? I long to see them ! Do you have any news of Coucy and his expedition to Scotland; I hope you will answer these questions in a future letter.

Your nephew John, King of France and Navarre, count of Champagne.

Last edited:
Since Louis of Hungary is related to John I of France who is allied to Bohemia and he was married to Charles IV's daughter, I think Louis of Hungary's inheritance of Poland is butterflied.

If Casimir III does not give Louis of Hungary the inheritance of Poland, just give it to his Silesian relatives, the sons of Kunigunde of Poland, Duchess of Swidnica the eldest daughter of Wladyslaw the Elbowhigh, her son is Bolko of Swidnica, give that man sons as well.

Last edited:
Since Louis of Hungary is related to John I of France who is allied to Bohemia and he was married to Charles IV's daughter, I think Louis of Hungary's inheritance of Poland is butterflied.

If Casimir III does not give Louis of Hungary the inheritance of Poland, just give it to his Silesian relatives, the sons of Kunigunde of Poland, Duchess of Swidnica the eldest daughter of Wladyslaw the Elbowhigh, her son is Bolko of Swidnica, give that man sons as well.

Well, the Anjou-Siclly inheritance of Poland could be butterflied but I have actually no plans for that. But without Poland, Hungary could focus more on Naples instead of Eastern Europe.

Chapter 35 : A Rough War

« Ah, thank God some good fresh water!! », sighed Enguerrand de Coucy while rinsing his face with water. To his surprise, it was not the foul water; he was used to since he arrived in Scotland.

A strange, but beautiful land, he thought. Here people spoke some kind of English similar to what was used in England while other spoke the language of the ancient Celts. But Parliament and nobility sometimes used Frexh, but weren’t the Bruce, the Comyn, the Montgomery, the Sutherland and other great Scottish families of French stock. Anyways, he appreciated for once to relax and to have a brief pause in what he considered to be a series of skirmishes and ambushes.

He had arrived with Messire de Briquebec and 600 other Frenchmen on September 22th, after a long trip on the sea. They disembarked at Dunbar not without difficulties.

After, they headed for Edinburgh, where King David was staying. They met with him and his Guardian, Sir Thomas Randolph, 1st Earl of Moray. They discussed about war plans and began their skirmishes against Balliol’s partisans. Everything went well until Balliol called the King of England, his liege lord, to the rescue.

Edward couldn’t afford to lose his face and felt pressure from his vassals determined to avenge the humiliation of the Treaty of Northampton. On October 12th, the English army crossed the border and now England was really at war with Scotland. Soon the Franco-Scottish force was overwhelmed. Not to mention that the English used a new type of tactic: dismounted men-at-arms with behind them and on their flanks, longbow men. All covered in front of stakes destined to slow down cavalry charges. All assaults were met with deadly volleys of arrows and finished of by a good infantry charge. Meanwhile, the Scottish Court seriously considered the option of sending King David to France. Things were now not very bright for the French nor the Bruce supporters.

Enguerrand was now I search of towel, when he noticed the presence of young lady. He had already noticed her presence at Court, but it seems she followed him everywhere.

Anyways, the girl wasn’t really annoying, just some sort of welcome distraction. After all, he already had a mistress in France; he could have some kind of romantic adventure in Scotland. So he put a fresh and new tunic on himself and went to present himself;

- Good day, my name is Enguerrand de Coucy. Is it me or I already saw this pretty face somewhere?

The maiden’s face turned to red

-
Indeed sir, we already met at the royal court of Edinburgh

So the girl is not some peasant’s offspring but of noble stock, thought Enguerrand

-
Is it true that the King of England swore that he will spend Christmas with his vassal John de Baliol in Edinburgh or else raze half of the land?

-
Indeed, my lady, but I think, it will be very difficult for him, since as long as I am here, your King will not have to fear for his crown and no English soldier shall ever pass through Edinburgh’s walls.

-
What boast for a man who pretends he will stop alone, the English advance!

-
Well, Roland did hold the Saracens at Ronceveaux for some time, didn’t he?

-
Yes, but he failed to escape alive the ambush.

-
My lady, if you are trying to undermine the moral of our army then good luck with that. Some people around here have fought with Robert the Bruce and don’t like very much the English. As for us the French who don’t love bear them in our hearts, and if we can beat them in Aquitaine than we can do it right here in Scotland. Therefore Madam, you can trust us to resist by every means our foes. And it is hard for me to believe that such words come from such a delicate mouth !

-
Indeed I trust you Enguerrand, indeed. You should visit me at Edingburgh castle gentle knight; with the men going to war its is difficult to be in good company.I wish to speak more with you. Goodbye !

She then smiled and ran away just leaving Enguerrand the time to say:

-
But my lady, I don’t know your name, please stay!

But who really was that women? She was Scottish for sure. But what does she wanted to Enguerrand ? Why was she deriding him? Anyway, Coucy felt something in his heart. The young lady had aroused his interest of her. There was something inhabiting this spirit that was now fully awakened,torturing his mind, ready to flourish. And that small creature was love.

Last edited:
Allright, greetings to all the readers of this timeline. First of all, I wanted to thank all those who voted for my TL during the Turtledove competiton. My examination period is finished (for know) and my application has been sent to the college. Therefore, I should publish an update this weekend or next week.

Again guys, thanks for your support !

Chapter 36 : Bellac

Crozant finally arrived in Bellac in the late afternoon. After being received by the Dowager Countess’ courtiers, he was presented to the young count Louis.

- My liege, it is a pleasure to see you in good health!
- So do I, my lord constable! , cried the boy happy to see the man he considered to be a second father.

Louis I, Count of la Marche and Bigorre was 7 at the time. He was bright and beautiful chid, full of spirit (contrary to his late father). He had brown hair and was of good height for his age. He learned his lessons from his masters pretty quickly and it was only a matter of time before he was sent to his cousin’s court at Crépy-en-Valois.

- Is it true my lord constable that we are at war?
- Yes, against England, my liege.
- May I come with you Crozant!
- I don’t think you could, my liege, war is not thing for children and I believe that your mother will be opposed to this idea.
- But I am not a child and I don’t care what my mother thinks!

At the same moment, the guards let a woman of high stature enter the room. She was wearing a blue gown and some expensive jewels.

- Messire de Crozant, what are you telling to my son?
- Nothing, my lady, we were just exchanging our views on the current conflict.
- Good, but I think that Father Abelard is waiting to exchange his view on Latin grammar with his pupil.

The countess made a hand gesture and a servant came to take away the child.
- Any news about our levies, my lord Constable, said Joan of Évreux taking a more formal voice.
- Yes, myself and the men of Cuzion and others vassals just arrived so this amount to 200 men. I will summon your ost from here and I expect at least 800 men.
- Good, good, remember, my cousin of Poitiers expect us in Angoulême, toward the end of October.
- Yes I know that Madam. Angoulême is not far from here and I expect some recruits among the seasonal workers in our towns.

The two then looked each other for a long time.

- My lady, is my son Louis here?
- Yes he is. He conduct is not so irreproachable and he has been most gallant to my ladies-in-waiting especially the younger ones.
- Hmm, that is typically him, but what can we do? Love haunts youth.
- Very true.
- Well, it is good that he enjoys himself; soon, he will have to follow me when I leave you my lady.
- Aren’t you afraid of death, messire de Crozant, you seem to take war lightly.
- Do I surprise you?
- No, it is just that I have seen men going to war, full of sorrow, but you………
- Yes, but I am all eager to go to war.Ah ! No, I am not my lady. I think that war is a necessity, a solution among others to solve conflicts. And we are all in the end vassals and subjects of the king of France. Who are we defy his orders? I am just following orders from above.
- But aren’t you afraid of death?
- Death, death is a finality for us all my lady, kings, priests, lords and commoners, everyone. Even you and I shall depart this world. And why should be afraid of death in battle, when others such as my grandfather Simon de Crozant died with full honor, and when my companions are with me and when I spend time with such lady concerned about virtue, love, afterlife and honor? All worries come to an end, only bravery stays!
- Your words are wise, my lord constable, said the countess whose face turned to red, I need to go now. Good luck with your duties.

Joan of Évreux left the room, leaving a dreaming Philippe de Crozant alone.

Chapter 37: Rendezvous at Lescar (part 1)

Lescar, Viscountcy of Béarn, October 14th, 1331

John was watching the countryside from the walls. He took a deep breath of fresh air. He could see outside the city his army’s campsite. He didn’t know how to describe what he felt. It was the first time he went on a military campaign. The young King wished, his uncle, the man who taught him how to be a king, had accompanied him to Navarre. But, there was no need to worry. The constable of Navarre, Alfonso de Villabolos and his brother Lope were both experienced warriors who participated in the Reconquista.

« If those two do not fear Saracens, and then they should have no problem beating those damn English! », thought John.

But the wondering king was interrupted in his thoughts by a servant bearing the arms of Foix-Béarn.

- My lord King, I am sent by my master, the Count of Foix. He told me to inform you that his scouts had encountered…..
- Enemy troops!?
- No, my king, friendly troops. The men of the Counts of Armagnac, Astarac ,Comminges are arriving .
- Good! Good! Tell your master that, we should welcome them and allocate to the newcomers a plot of land near our position, so our allies can establish their camp.
- At once sire!

As soon as the servant left, Lope de Villabolos arrived with a calm and relaxed pace. Ah! Lope de Villabolos ! The Navarrese version of Robert of Artois! He was tall man with black curly hair and swarthy skin tone, at the difference of his older brother Alfonso, who was blond and fair skinned. But Lope wasn’t really outgoing and jovial. The Navarrese knight was shy and only talked when he need to, a virtue much appreciated by the King and his retinue.

-
My king, I bet you’ve heard the news.

- Indeed Lope, it seems that my uncle has agreed to my plan.

John planned from Navarra to open a second front in Guyenne, between Bayonne and Tartas , in the south , while Poitiers invaded the north, through Saintonge with the ost of France. In order to begin his offensive, the King requested the help of the Southern Princes ( Foix-Béarn, Armagnac, Comminges,Astarac), who were originally bound to meet the Regent at Angoulême. Their arrival at Lescar was definitely the proof that Poitiers agreed to his nephew’s idea.

-
You see Lope, said John, everything seems to go well. If it continues like that we will be spending Christmas in Bordeaux!

- Maybe, my liege, but you must remember that sometimes the sunshine precedes the storm. I remember well at the Siege of Gibraltar, when the Saracens were confident in their victory until we arrived with the Regent of Castille. Surprised by our sight the Muslims fled and we continued to plunder the land. It was shamful defeat for them and hard times for their people. But a good journey for us
Christians !

- So what apply to the Infidels also apply to us.
- Yes, we are all children of God. Death and victory don’t make a difference between religion or country. Only the boldest and wisest wins the day my liege.

A silence then fell between the two and one could hear the rustle of the leaves and the soldiers ‘cheers from nearby camp.

-
Well, messire de Villabolos, I will take note of your advice. Inform the bishop that I am going to use his residence for my council of war. If someone needs me tell him that I don’t want to be disturbed, because I will be peacefully worshipping Saint Julien in the cathedral.

- As you wish, mi rey. May those prayers enlighten your noble soul !

John left the battlements thinking to his dear Bonne, whom he imagined, kneeling in the gardens of Olite, with her smooth black hair and her face illuminated by the sun, praying for the good luck of her husband’s venture.

«If night or veteran knight could bring good advice, why not prayers ?», said John to himself.

Chapter 37: Rendezvous at Lescar (part 2)

The air was dry. The room slightly lighted. John looked around him. His two Navarrese lieutenants, the Counts of Armagnac, Foix, Comminges and Astarac . Their faces were rather dark, not encouraging, they seemed think if who was in front of them was a competent knight or a child still playing at war with toys. Anyways, these lords were ready to perform their duties near their homes and not in Angoumois.

- My lords, greetings, I am glad to see you here. I hope that with your help , we will drive the English out of Gascony , said the King
- My liege, we only answered your call to arms and we wish to serve you until we achieved victory, said calmly , as form of reply Gaston de Foix-Béarn
- Thank you, Monseigneur de Foix-Béarn, so where do we begin?
- My liege, according to my scout there is a castle that threaten our current position, not far from here, sad the Constable of Navarre
- Ah, Mauléon ! , messire de Villabolos, exclaimed the Count of Armagnac.
- You know about the place? , said John
- Indeed, my king, it a small castle owned by the King of England. It takes half-day to get there.
- Is the place strongly fortified ? , asked Villabolos
- Well it is a bastide, which borders my lands, answered Foix, the garrison should not exceed a hundred of men. It should not resist for long, not more than a few months.
- Is it really important to linger on this small fort, shouldn’t we march on Tartas and Mont-de-Marsan and try to submit Guyenne’s countryside , said Lope de Villabolos
- Maybe Lope, but this small fort as we call it, could become a nest for English raids over our supply lines. I would not which to march towards Kent with my hands tied up by hobelars.
- Wise decision, my liege ,said the other Villabolos brother, we must eliminate that that threat and considering my scouts reports and the testimonies of my Lords, I guess it should be an easy target.
- All right then, my lord constable, we shall march on Mauléon in two days, I expect my Lords to be ready to move when requested.
- We shall ! , replied Comminges
- Good, my Lords, gentlemen, I proclaim my council of war dismissed.

Everyone stand up and was leaving the room, when John suddenly asked Alfonso to stay.

- Yes, my liege
- Please, ask my vassals to gather this night here, I will receive their homage for their fiefs and organize a small feast……matter of warming up spirits.
- Good, excellent idea my liege, I shall inform your vassals. I wish you a good day my King.