The Reign of King John I of France

You are doing a very good job! I like a lot this timeline.

regarding the possible spouses for Jon, I can see the flowing choices :
- Bonne of Luxemburg (20 May 1315 – 11 September 1349) - the future wife of Jon II of France - the best match
- Philippa of Hainault (24 June 1314 – 15 August 1369) - the future wife of Edward III of England - a good match
- Eleanor of England (18 June 1318 – 22 April 1355) - improbable as she is a cousin of him and needed a big Papal dispensation.

Last edited:

- Bonne of Bohemia and of Luxemburg, Duchess of Normandy, Countess of Anjou and of Maine (20 May 1315 – 11 September 1349) - the future wife of Jon II of France - the best match
- Philippa of Hainault (24 June 1314 – 15 August 1369) - the future wife of Edward III of England - a good match
- Eleanor of England (18 June 1318 – 22 April 1355) - improbable as she is a cousin of him and needed a big Papal dispensation.
He could marry, the youngest sister of Casimir the Elbowhigh, Jadwiga who died in OTL, at this point Hungary is allied with Poland..perhaps France can be dragged into alliance with Poland by Hungary.

- Bonne of Bohemia and of Luxemburg, Duchess of Normandy, Countess of Anjou and of Maine (20 May 1315 – 11 September 1349) - the future wife of Jon II of France - the best match

Thanks guys for your comments, each time I see one it encourages me to continue this timeline.

Bonne (Jutta) of Bohemia is a good choice, because the match can strengthen links with the powerful house of Luxembourg ad with the HRE.

Philippa of Hainault, is indeed a good match, but she's only the daughter of a Count and will not bring up some land to the royal demesne. OTL Edward III of England married her because Hainault helped his mother (Isabella of France) to kick out Edward II.

In this thread : https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=187142

Yorel submitted possibles matches such as Bonne of Bohemia, Eleanor of Woodstock, but also Constance of Aragon, Margaret of Bohemia (Bonne's sister) and Elisabeth of Sicily.

As for any Polish princesses, I don't see any benefit except of an alliance.

We have to remember that John is still under Regency and the choice of his bride will go to his uncle Philippe of Poitiers, who was following the same policies as his father. Marriage need to bring land ,something the Valois didn't understood (exception Louis XI). Phillippe IV married Joan of Navarra who brought Navarra and Champagne and Poitiers' wife was Joan heiress of the County of Burgundy.

But I think I am going to open a poll on the subject just to give an idea.

Thanks guys for your comments, each time I see one it encourages me to continue this timeline.

Bonne (Jutta) of Bohemia is a good choice, because the match can strengthen links with the powerful house of Luxembourg ad with the HRE.

Philippa of Hainault, is indeed a good match, but she's only the daughter of a Count and will not bring up some land to the royal demesne. OTL Edward III of England married her because Hainault helped his mother (Isabella of France) to kick out Edward II.

In this thread : https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=187142

Yorel submitted possibles matches such as Bonne of Bohemia, Eleanor of Woodstock, but also Constance of Aragon, Margaret of Bohemia (Bonne's sister) and Elisabeth of Sicily.

As for any Polish princesses, I don't see any benefit except of an alliance.

We have to remember that John is still under Regency and the choice of his bride will go to his uncle Philippe of Poitiers, who was following the same policies as his father. Marriage need to bring land ,something the Valois didn't understood (exception Louis XI). Phillippe IV married Joan of Navarra who brought Navarra and Champagne and Poitiers' wife was Joan heiress of the County of Burgundy.

But I think I am going to open a poll on the subject just to give an idea.
I think he should marry Eleanor of Woodstock or Constance of Aragon..

Chapter 5: A Special Request

Clementia of Hungary had recovered from her tough pregnancy, but still was appalled to be a widow just at 23. But still, she considered that it was her duty to bring up her son and to tell him about the good and penitent King Louis X. One of her wishes, just after her recovery was to bring up all of her husband’s children. And there were two kids: John of France and Joan of Navarra. But Joan was at Dijon being tutored by Agnès of France, St-Louis last surviving daughter.

Clementia claimed that as Dowager Queen of France, she had the right to educate her stepdaughter, but Burgundy feared that the child will be brought up under Philippe of Poitiers and will be influenced by him. But the Regent claimed that he had no such idea over her niece and found his sister-in-law request lawful. He proclaimed that Joan of Navarra will be under the «official» tutorship of Agnès of France until the dowager Duchess’ death, but the girl will have to spend at least six months per year with her stepmother and her brother. John enjoyed her company and played with her much to annoyance of Joan.

Poor Joan, she has been neglected by her mother, rejected by her father who considered her a bastard. The only people who really cared about her, were her grandmother Agnès of France, her uncle Eudes , Duke of Burgundy and a polite young boy of 10 named Philippe of Évreux who was pressed by his father, Louis of Évreux, to play and to comfort her while all the other boys and girls where ignoring her. At last, the young princess stopped to be a political pawn and began to enjoy a new life with her true family.

So,

Bonne of Luxembourg - could bring some land (but what?) and an important alliance.

Constance of Aragon (daughter of Alfonso IV) - intresting choice but what she can bring other than an alliance? maybe Montpelier ?

Eleanor of Woodstock - a good choice but in OTL her marriage with Alphonso XI of Castile felt because of the dowry... Her father and her mother seems to be not very generous...

Elisabeth of Sicily - why ? she is older (1310–1349) and not so much benefit

Margaret of Hainault (1311 – 23 June 1356) - older sister of Phillipa of Hainault and a better choice than her - can inherit the counties of Hainault, Hollande and Zeeland if her brother William II will die as per OTL.

Please continue, I enjoy reading this timeline!

Last edited:
IMHO Bonne of Luxembourg would be the best choice she is a princess of Bohemia and a member of the house of Luxembourg. The house of Luxembourg had become a powerful dynasty in the Holy Roman Empire, but traditionally, dating from before their rise in to a powerful dynasty in the Holy Roman Empire, they had very good relations with the French Royal dynasty.

IOTL the first Luxembourg (later) Holy Roman Emperor, Henry VII, was favoured over Charles of Valois (titular Latin Emperor); because the prince-electors didn't like the prospect being ruled by close relative of the king of France with no lands in the Holy Roman Empire at all, in contrast the house of Luxembourg was minor house from the Empire (so also no initial threat to the prince-electors, later though they did realize that a successful ruler needs some personal powerbase) with good ties with the French Royal dynasty (something which was valued by the prince-electors). In other words OTL Henry VII of Luxembourg was seen as a good compromise candidate. Later OTL Henry VII was asked to intervene in the Bohemian succession crisis and he married his son and (dynastic) heir John (later known as the Blind) to a Bohemian heiress princess Elisabeth Premyslid, eventually John succeeded and Bohemia became the new power base of hpuse of Luxembourg.
(In other words the house of Luxembourg by gaining Bohemia, had just like house of Habsburg, which gained Austria & Styria, succeeded into gaining something lasting from their first election as king of the Romans.)

IMHO Bonne of Luxembourg would be the best choice she is a princess of Bohemia and a member of the house of Luxembourg. The house of Luxembourg had become a powerful dynasty in the Holy Roman Empire, but traditionally, dating from before their rise in to a powerful dynasty in the Holy Roman Empire, they had very good relations with the French Royal dynasty.

IOTL the first Luxembourg (later) Holy Roman Emperor, Henry VII, was favoured over Charles of Valois (titular Latin Emperor); because the prince-electors didn't like the prospect being ruled by close relative of the king of France with no lands in the Holy Roman Empire at all, in contrast the house of Luxembourg was minor house from the Empire (so also no initial threat to the prince-electors, later though they did realize that a successful ruler needs some personal powerbase) with good ties with the French Royal dynasty (something which was valued by the prince-electors). In other words OTL Henry VII of Luxembourg was seen as a good compromise candidate. Later OTL Henry VII was asked to intervene in the Bohemian succession crisis and he married his son and (dynastic) heir John (later known as the Blind) to a Bohemian heiress princess Elisabeth Premyslid, eventually John succeeded and Bohemia became the new power base of hpuse of Luxembourg.
(In other words the house of Luxembourg by gaining Bohemia, had just like house of Habsburg, which gained Austria & Styria, succeeded into gaining something lasting from their first election as king of the Romans.)
I think a marriage between Eleanor of Woodstock could merge Aquitaine with the Royal demesne by making Aquitaine as the dowry of Eleanor via a treaty, if they want to fix the situation in England and France.

And aside from that Provence could be confiscated by John due to the claims of Hungary to Provence and Naples in order to weaken Giovanna of Naples.

Edward will never agree to give Aquitaine to John as dowry, neither his mom Isabella !
At lease if he (maybe Phillipe of Poitiers acting as regent) can give the English a bloody lesson (a decisive french victory) and as peace condition, John will marry Eleanor and Aquitaine will go as dowry... :D

Anyway, a good ideea!

I think a marriage between Eleanor of Woodstock could merge Aquitaine with the Royal demesne by making Aquitaine as the dowry of Eleanor via a treaty, if they want to fix the situation in England and France.

Edward will never agree to give Aquitaine to John as dowry, neither his mom Isabella !
At lease if he (maybe Phillipe of Poitiers acting as regent) can give the English a bloody lesson (a decisive french victory) and as peace condition, John will marry Eleanor and Aquitaine will go as dowry... :D

Anyway, a good ideea!

That could work, under normal circumstances a king of England would never agree to give away Aquitaine, however now it will be a way to diplomatically save his face. In other words the king of England would be allowed to give away as a dowry a very valuable territory he de facto already had lost to France.

@ kasumigenx: it either is Aquitaine or Provence, but not both at once. Also the claim of Clementia of Hungary (who had an older sister and brother) wasn't the strongest claim, though French support could in part make up for that. However a king bypassing inheritance and/or succession rights could be tricky.

@ kasumigenx: it either is Aquitaine or Provence, but not both at once. Also the claim of Clementia of Hungary (who had an older sister and brother) wasn't the strongest claim, though French support could in part make up for that. However a king bypassing inheritance and/or succession rights could be tricky.
Yeah, he could marry Eleanor of Woodstock and sue peace or cease fire then claim Provence for his mother, I think him claiming Provence makes sense than his cousin, Louis of Hungary claiming Provence since they are the most senior claimants to the Throne of Naples.

Last edited:
Chapter 6 : News from Outre-Manche

April 1325,

King John was playing outside Vincennes Castle with other children. His mother had agreed that he could play with the noblemen children until supper. They did some races and play tag. But his Grace was interrupted in his leisure’s by his chamberlain Jean de Beaumont who was much more a tough soldier, than a man of refined tastes.

«-My King, you must come with me at once!, said Jean de Beaumont
-By what orders, my lord chamberlain, replied the king not happy to be disturbed
- By order of your mother, the Dowager Queen, she requests immediately your presence for some serious matters! »
The King was beginning to think, that after all, he wasn't at all a simple toddler playing and reading all day, but that he was a king and as a king, he had responsibilities to assume and a kingdom to rule.

«-Well, then my Lord Chamberlain, I am ready to follow you. »
The King arrived with his dutiful servant and was reprimanded by his mother.
«-John, il ne sied point aux Rois de France de se salir et se paître dans la boue comme des porcs !, said his mother.
-I know Mother, sorry about that, replied John
- Now go fetch new clothes, you are awaiting visit.
-From whom?
-From your uncle of Poitiers and your cousins of England, your aunt Isabella and Edward, Prince of Wales
- Really!
- Yes, my boy and now go prepare yourself.

Indeed, John’s cousins came from England to France to appease tensions between the two kingdoms. And there was tension, Edward II avoided paying homage to King Louis X , John’s father, now he refused to pay homage to the Regent in the name of the King of France, insisting that the King of England could only pay homage to the King only and the King was still a minor and thus, for Edward, unable to receive homage. Philippe proposed the King of England pay homage to him just like the Count of Flanders did in 1320. But Edward again refused telling that the Regent of France was not the King of France. Philippe was furious; he authorized his uncle of Valois to send an embassy to England in order to betroth Edward, Prince of Wales and Marie of Valois, in a last effort to ease diplomatic relations. But the ambassadors were captured by the Scots and France had to pay a ransom to his…ally. The Regent saw no other solution than the confiscation of Guyenne.

But meanwhile, in England relations were strained now this time between the King and his barons. The English nobles didn't like Edward II favorites, first Piers Gaveston now Hugh Despenser and his family. Isabella was inclined to the baron’s side and the King knew it. So he kept watch of her spending and even her alms, gave all the fine dishes and jewels from her dowry to the Despensers.

She felt alone in this country, abandoned by France. Her father had given her to a foreign king, who humiliated her every day of her life and her brothers didn't care so much about her. But she remembered the words of her father:

« I didn't marry you to a man, Isabelle, but to a king. I didn't sacrifice you by error. Is to you that I have to teach that we kings , are born to rule realms and not to pity ourselves from our destiny. We do not live for our own lives, but for the survival of our kingdoms, it is the only way to be content with ourselves, if we follow our destiny…»

She remembered those words of his father, the only man she ever trusted in her whole life. But now, she believed that she will soon have an opportunity to prove herself a Queen, worthy of the name.

Meanwhile, in France, Philippe who used all his cards felt that the time of words was over. What a paradox for a man who has as motto: « J’ai toujours préféré la diplomatie aux armes».(1)

On spring 1324, the Regent of France orders to his Constable, Gaucher de Châtillon, to raise l’ost royal and in front of the Court of Peers he declares:
« Nous, Philippe de Potiers, Régent de France confisquons à nostre vassal, Édouard Roi d’Angleterre, la duché de Guyenne, qu’il tient de nous pour défaut d’hommage et nous relâchons de leur serments prêtés au dits roi tous les habitants, seigneurs, bourgs, abbayes et sénéchaux, car leur maître a rompu et violé toutes lois et usages du droit féodal. Nous l’invitions ci-tôt à se présenter devant nostre Cour pour régler ses offenses et pour avoir son cas jugé. Ainsi j’ai dit.» (2)

Learning this Edward II; send out his brother Edmund, Earl of Kent, to repel the French with some 300 English volunteers. But when he arrives, he finds out that the duchy’s defenses are poor with the help of some Gascon lords his troops amount to 1000 men not very well trained but eager to fight. Philippe of Poitiers arrives there on summer 1324 with 8000 men and he is awaiting reinforcements from his brother Charles, Count of la Marche and Bigorre and from Gaston II Count of Foix. The Regent also got something new in this campaign train: artillery imported from Italy and yes it seems Philippe didn't only made improvements in the finances but also in the army and have made contact with some Italian armorers about the latest military inventions.

The campaign is an easy one and several towns are captured and Kent knows that he cannot afford to fight the French in an open field battle. So he contents himself with ambushes and skirmishes. He also sends several messages to his brother to bring reinforcements or to open a second front perhaps. But he receives no answers so he decides to strike hard the French with a surprise attack on their encampment near La Réole, but Poitiers is not a great warrior but an excellent organizer and regularly inspects his sentinels who are hailed from his troops. Kent tries to attack, after a first initial success he soon found himself surrounded by the French army and he is forced to retreat in the fortress of La Réole. The battle of la Réole was a short one with no clear winner but the losses are light on each side.

On August 1324, the siege begins. For the first time, artillery fire is heard in France. The damages to the castle are high. Kent keeps sending messages to England, but with no answers. The siege closes the fluvial supply line to Bordeaux, not to mention that Aquitaine take his income from its wineries and with autumn approaching there is a risk that there will be no harvest, so the grapes will rot . The inhabitants are becoming more nervous and tired of the war. On September 1324, Kent surrenders and become a hostage of the Regent. Philippe returns to Paris while his Constable stays in Guyenne to oversee the territory which is now under the King’s direct administration. The Regent is confident that this short campaign will bring Edward to the negotiation table.

King Edward II learns the news of the defeat. He cannot continues to wage a war on France when the Scots are threatening, his barons can revolt against him at any moment, he also cannot afford to leave the country for the same reasons, but who will then ?

(1). John, playing in mud like a pig does not fit a King of France !
(2). I have always favored diplomacy over weapons
(3). We, Philippe of Poitiers, Regent of France confiscate to our vassal, Edward King of England, the duchy of Guyenne which he hold from us because of failing to pay his homage and we relax all the inhabitants, lords, towns, abbeys and seneschals from their oaths of alliegience to their master, because he broke and violated all the laws and customs of the feudal law. We invite him to present himself in our Court to resolve his offences and have his case ruled. So I have said .

Last edited:
Excellent update!

One very minor observation: I find very improbable that the King of France, even if is a child, will play with peasant kids. More probably kids of the knights and nobles from the court?

I am really waiting the continuation...

Will Isabella try to depose his husband as per OTL? What is the situation of Roger Mortimer ITTL ?

Last edited:
Yeah, thanks it is true that the King of France should play with kids of nearer rank (nobles) , I will change it . As for Isabella, she hates her husband and will do everything to get rid of him and as we speak Roger Mortimer has already escaped to France (August 1323) and he is trying to get some support, at first the Regent refused, but know I think he now sees the benefit of a friendly England indebted to him.

Last edited:
Chapter 7: The Witch of England

Knowing that the English were already defeated in France, Edward thinks that the time of peace has come. His country cannot afford a war with France. Then Isabella, steps up. She proposes that she bring the Prince of Wales with her and negotiate a peace with France. But in her mind, once the treaty is signed she will gather up an army to install her son as king. For Edward, this is a brilliant idea. Her wife is French; she’s the aunt of the French King and the sister of the Regent. Plus this could leave him more leisure time with his dear Hugh.

«Yes, this is a great, at least my damn wife will leave alone for once», said Edward to himself

So Edward sent an envoy to England, asking for a truce and a date for the future treaty:

« Mon bien-aimé cousin que la paix soit avec vous. Je vous écris cette lettre pour vous signaler que j’ai l’intention de mettre fin à cette dispute entre nos deux realmes. Mon épouse, bienveillante comme elle est viendra prochainement négocier la paix avec toute nostre confiance au jour que vous trouverez convenable . Edwardus Rex » Excerpt of a letter from Edward II of England to Philippe of Poitiers, Regent of France (1)

Philippe answered that the peace could be signed on spring 1325 and from now on a truce was called between England and France, but Guyenne will remain under French jurisdiction until a peace treaty is signed

The Regent’s reputation greatly increased because he proved that he was not only a statesman, but also an excellent organizer capable of ending in a few weeks this conflict.

When Isabella learned the news, she was happy. At last, the opportunity, she always wanted was now at her grasp. But, she knew, she had to hide her joy.

« My husband, I will obey you and I think I may found in France the peace that my spirit need», she said.

But it seems, Isabella that «faithful and obeying wife » had other plans in her head.

So, as planned on March 7th 1325, Isabella of France disembarked at Boulogne-sur-Mer , accompanied with the 13 year old Prince of Wales, Edward of Windsor. The next day, she met her brother the Regent. The pair rode down to Paris, where a feast was organized at the Louvre in honor of the Queen of England and of the coming peace.

« - My sister, I don’t know if your arrival is a good omen. Last time you came, times were quite dreadful and there are people at court who see you under a bad eye, said the Regent

- People like my brothers, replied Isabelle

-Well no, your arrival for me is source of relief, I’m glad my cousin Edward has heard reason. I have nothing against you for the «Tour de Nesle affair», my wife was an accomplice of an adultery who tarnished our family reputation. She was punished for that, now let’s forget that.
As for Charles, he didn't yet forgive you. He is a bit sentimental and my mother in law doesn't like you at all. Mahaut thinks you are responsible her daughters’misfortunes and refused to come here when I invited her. She even called you the « Witch of England».

- How dare she called me that. After all she has done to Robert….

-Well anyway, we aren't here to discuss about Artois, said Philippe seeing where the discussion will go, but about the peace between our two countries.

- Yes, that is why I came here. But, I am tired tonight I shall go to bed early, but where is the King, my nephew ?

- He is at Vincennes castle under good guard, we shall go there tomorrow .»

Kent and Mortimer were also attending the feast . It was a huge relief for them to see Isabella here , because they both felt that the time of freedom for England was coming.

That night was the first Isabella spent with Mortimer. What a paradox for a women who eleven years ago denounced the adultery of her sisters-in-law. But any way, for her she had been married to man , she didn't like, who humiliated her. If for Mahaut, she was a witch, then be it she had already charmed two men, she has the power to attract men, now she needed the force of a kingdom .

In her mind, she was widow …..ripe for love and power

(1) My beloved cousin, may peace be with you. I write you this letter to report to you my intention to end this conflict between our two realms. My kind-hearted spouse, will soon come to negotiate peace with all our trust the day you will find convenient.

Chapter 8: The treaty of Vincennes

John was ready to receive his guests. His tastes in fashion were for plain, elegant but simple clothes. The Regent and Isabella with their retainers arrive at the castle. John was ready to meet his cousin of England.

«My nephew, allow me to introduce your aunt, the Queen of England and your cousin Edward, Prince of Wales, »said Philippe of Poitiers.

John was very pleased to meet them and made quite an impression on them. He showed himself as humble and polite child. He easily made acquaintance with the 13 year old Edward. He showed his library and palace to Edward who very much impressed by his cousin’s maturity. They after went to small walk in the near forest.

Meanwhile Isabella and Philippe were talking about the future of England.

« -I know what you are really for my sister; you are her for Mortimer and all of those who fled England because of your husband. You want to overthrow him! , exclaim the Regent

- Nous sommes de même race, mon cousin (1), after all we both hailed from the same progenitor. And just like him we don’t easily spare our enemies, replied Isabelle

- So, if I understood “your game” you are here officially to make peace with France, but also to prepare an invasion of the same country.

- Indeed, I am my cousin and I will need you support.

- Are you out of your senses, if France make peace with England and then restart war a few weeks later, the world will think of us as fools and traitors.

-Do you what I feel when I’m in England. Of course, you don’t my dear brother. I am sick of being treated as mere female, I am the daughter of King Philippe IV and aunt of the current King and I merit some respect. »

She then began to cry in the hands of her brother.

« If what I heard from England about you and your husband is true, then you have my support, but it will not be an official one. You taught a lesson to my sisters-in-law but know it is the time we teach a lesson to that sodomite. No one can insult our family’s honor. But first we must agree on a peace treaty, because that’s how I am….I need guarantees.

So when the two cousins were back from their walk, negotiations began. These two Princes were not so aware that the destiny of their respective nations was being discussed this night.

The Regent wants guarantees, and by guarantees he means land. Isabella is ready to give up some in the sake of peace. Kent agrees but he doesn't want England to lose too much land. Poitiers also agrees to give a loan to his sister that would have to be repaid in the forms of “war indemnities”.

On March 12 th, 1325 the Regent of France proudly announces that a treaty of Peace have being signed between the two nations.

The points are:

• England will cede to France the county of Ponthieu, Agenais and Lower Quercy.

• Périgord, Limousin and the northern half of Saintoge are recognized as part of France.

• The King of England will have to perform homage ad Duke of Guyenne when required to the King of France or when he is unavailable to his Regent. Therefore the King of England acknowledges the King of France as his overlord for the Duchy of Guyenne and all the obligations he owes to him.

• All frontier abbeys and fiefs who have a mother house or a liege who stays in France will be considered as part of France

• England will pay 40 000 livres as war indemnities. ( Philippe had granted Isabella a loan of 30 000 livres)

But Isabella also received loans from her uncle Charles of Valois and Italian bankers.

Guyenne is reduced to only a strip of land sandwiched between the Atlantic Ocean and France.

Kent and Mortimer know that the treaty is harsh, but it is for the greater good of England.

Following, the signature of the treaty Edward, Prince of Wales in the name of his father swear allegiance to his cousin, the nine years old king.

« Sire, je suis votre homme» (2), said Edward to his future ally or…. nemesis.

(1)We are of same race (family), my cousin
(2) Sire, I am your man (the traditional expression of the homage that confirmed the oath of allegiance).

Last edited:
How, again, is this for the greater good of England?

And I'm not entirely sure that someone in this era would think of complaining about being treated as a mere female.

I like the writing though. Interesting people at work.

How John and Edward (the prince) interact later should prove very interesting indeed.

P.S. Is "the King of England" pledging to accept France as his overlord as king of England, or as Duke of Aquitaine?

Because the former would be . . . extremely unlikely.

For Mortimer, the treaty is for the good of England, because for him once peace is achieved and that he has French support, he can kick out the Despensers out of England. In French, we call it a "mal nécessaire ", a necessary bad thing, that can help people achieve what they want.

For Isabella and the mere female thing, it is because, she is tired of being treated like a simple wife only needed for procreation of an heir (actually I didn't found in English a word that fits this description, so I used "female" to express her dismay).

And the King of England is indeed vassal of France as Duke of Aquitaine (or now Guyenne) and by this right Peer of France

For Mortimer, the treaty is for the good of England, because for him once peace is achieved and that he has French support, he can kick out the Despensers out of England. In French, we call it a "mal nécessaire ", a necessary bad thing, that can help people achieve what they want.

That may be good for Mortimer, but saying that's good for England . . . I'm hoping that's Mortimer and not you.

For Isabella and the mere female thing, it is because, she is tired of being treated like a simple wife only needed for procreation of an heir (actually I didn't found in English a word that fits this description, so I used "female" to express her dismay).

Female works for that. It's just that in her time, the idea that she's being given less than her deserts in that regard would be somewhere between eccentric and mad. And she'd know that - she wasn't raised with the idea that she was supposed to be a wielder of real power (unless something very unusual happened).

And the King of England is indeed vassal of France as Duke of Aquitaine (or now Guyenne) and by this right Peer of France

Gotcha. Just that being vassal "as King of England" would be huge, so I wanted to confirm.