The Red Baron's Mitteleuropa

Making any potential German development of nuclear weapons hard without those Jewish scientists. Although I wonder what fate awaits people like Werner von Braun? He was pretty much responsible for the US Space Program IOTL.

With regards to Ehrhardt, he commanded a Marinebrigade, not a Luftbrigade.

Yes....Im aware. The whole point of me bringing him up, is that Richtofen could ape his move and form a Luftbrigade. The Baltics were prime territory for Freikorps in the immediate end of the War, and as such, Richtofen could have used his Luftbrigade to gain prominence in the far right scene. Afterwards, he'll return to Germany with credentials, and the allies of Rosenberg and Scheubner-Richter.

Yes....Im aware. The whole point of me bringing him up, is that Richtofen could ape his move and form a Luftbrigade. The Baltics were prime territory for Freikorps in the immediate end of the War, and as such, Richtofen could have used his Luftbrigade to gain prominence in the far right scene. Afterwards, he'll return to Germany with credentials, and the allies of Rosenberg and Scheubner-Richter.

This Luftbrigade would actually be fighting with biplanes on the Eastern Front, probably in the Baltics, or they could fight like the regular infantry.

This Luftbrigade would actually be fighting with biplanes on the Eastern Front, probably in the Baltics, or they could fight like the regular infantry.

The use of biplanes is likely to be limited, given the treaty of Versailles ban on aeronautics in the German military. Now Im sure that few could be salvaged, but any Luftbrigade, would be much like Ehrhardt's Marinebrigade, fighting on the land to support German interests in Mitteleuropa, not to mention giving birth to the seed of the Red Barons interest in the concept.

abc123

Banned
Yup! Guess whose been discussing this TL with the Marshal via PM for a month :p

I'm looking forward to see how do you plan to do that...;)

Mind, I'm not saying that different Yugoslavia is impossible, far from it, but that significantly different Yugoslavia can be product of Richthofen's survival and political actions, hardly... At least IMHO...

Yep, and if Germany and Yugoslavia go together, Bulgaria is definitely gonna need big help in getting Macedonia. I should have said: "Royal Yugoslavia intact, but Macedonia goes to Bulgaria."

Also buffer zones as well. Though I also wonder what effects on British politics without the Nazis around. Especially Edward VIII since I'm not sure if he will get chummy around Richthofen.

Also buffer zones as well. Though I also wonder what effects on British politics without the Nazis around. Especially Edward VIII since I'm not sure if he will get chummy around Richthofen.

Well you can choose whatever butterflies you wish, but I'd advise doing some major research into post War Germany, 1918 to 1920. Thats where you'll find some stuff for Rictofen to do, although Im still all for a "Luftbrigade Richtofen" fighting alongside the Eisernbrigade.

Well you can choose whatever butterflies you wish, but I'd advise doing some major research into post War Germany, 1918 to 1920. Thats where you'll find some stuff for Rictofen to do, although Im still all for a "Luftbrigade Richtofen" fighting alongside the Eisernbrigade.

I'll have to look up the Kapp Putsch as well, and the rise of the Freikorps. Not only that, I also have to research on inter-war Yugoslav politics as well.

iddt3

Donor
Making any potential German development of nuclear weapons hard without those Jewish scientists. Although I wonder what fate awaits people like Werner von Braun? He was pretty much responsible for the US Space Program IOTL.

The US space program would be set back a bit, perhaps, but the US had plenty of brilliant engineers of it's own which butterflies could give a chance to shine. I think the difference between a generic far right regime and actually Nazis viv a vis Jews is that the far right regime would be far more in line with classic European antisemitism, and would probably aggressively encourage it's Jews to emigrate. Part of the reason they didn't OTL is the Nazi's rearmerment programs meant that they needed all their foreign currency reserves for raw materials, so they literally couldn't afford to let Jews leave without imposing massively punitive taxes on them, which had the perverse effect of keeping the Jews there. Assuming a more sane economic policy by the DNVP, I can easily see far more Jews emigrating than OTL, with all the attendant economic dislocation.

The US space program would be set back a bit, perhaps, but the US had plenty of brilliant engineers of it's own which butterflies could give a chance to shine. I think the difference between a generic far right regime and actually Nazis viv a vis Jews is that the far right regime would be far more in line with classic European antisemitism, and would probably aggressively encourage it's Jews to emigrate. Part of the reason they didn't OTL is the Nazi's rearmerment programs meant that they needed all their foreign currency reserves for raw materials, so they literally couldn't afford to let Jews leave without imposing massively punitive taxes on them, which had the perverse effect of keeping the Jews there. Assuming a more sane economic policy by the DNVP, I can easily see far more Jews emigrating than OTL, with all the attendant economic dislocation.

The thing is, with classic European antisemitism becoming a potential trope, there would be more Jews settling in Palestine. If Germany and Israel would get chummy, then the British and the Russians would have to campaign a lot harder to win the hearts and minds of the Arabs, Persians, Kurds and Turks. Of course, the Russians would aim at winning the Persians and Kurds over since they're closer geographically.

Israel in this case would be larger in terms of population, and it will be in a prime position to become one of the fastest growing economies in the Middle East, though I wonder if Israel would consent to having a German military base on Israeli soil.

Come to think of it, IOTL the US Army only found the V2 rockets by chance as they realized how far behind they were in terms of scientific research. If Richthofen would still like the idea of jet propulsion development, I can imagine the Luftwaffe having jet fighters sometime in 1944 if there will be another World War.

Are there any good sources for inter-war Germany? I'm trying to look for a couple of good books to do my research for the next update.

Are there any good sources for inter-war Germany? I'm trying to look for a couple of good books to do my research for the next update.

'Coming of the Third Reich' by Evans seems good place to start, IMHO. Kershaw's biography of Hitler covers some aspects.

'Coming of the Third Reich' by Evans seems good place to start, IMHO. Kershaw's biography of Hitler covers some aspects.

I finally got the book, so I may not start on the first chapter until I've actually planned out in big details on what I'll cover.