The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

Here's my border chart for anyone interested since I recently updated it;

Border Types.png

Last edited:
I'm so confused.

I've been messing with maps lately, never finishing anything but starting a buch, and I most often start with the 1914 basemap (easiest borders to adjust IMO). Even earlier today I started a map on that basemap, and everything was going fine.

Tonight though, I'm getting this weird situation:

1714726449804.png

For some reason, when I paste the 1914 base map into MS Paint, I'm getting artefacts. The RGB numbers are slightly off for these bordering pixels. It's the same all over the map. I don't understand why. Nothing has changed between this afternoon and tonight.

Don't use MS paint, use PDN (it's the most simple image editor where you can have layers, aliased pixels, etc
I don't know why the artifacts exist, other than the possible explanation of MS paint messing with pixels for whatever reason.

(it's the most simple image editor where you can have layers, aliased pixels, etc
I don't want layers or aliased pixels or whatever. I'm not a graphic artist, I just like making simple maps as a form of meditation and creative outlet. I use MS Paint because every other program is over designed and not even slightly user friendly (like Gimp or Paint.net).

I'm so confused.

I've been messing with maps lately, never finishing anything but starting a buch, and I most often start with the 1914 basemap (easiest borders to adjust IMO). Even earlier today I started a map on that basemap, and everything was going fine.

Tonight though, I'm getting this weird situation:

View attachment 904546

For some reason, when I paste the 1914 base map into MS Paint, I'm getting artefacts. The RGB numbers are slightly off for these bordering pixels. It's the same all over the map. I don't understand why. Nothing has changed between this afternoon and tonight.

Did you maybe accidentally save it as a jpeg at some point?

Also, try filling the area with the color whatever th background color lot use I sometimes get the weird situation where it decides part of an area isn't quite the same and just paint bucketing the color fixes it.

Did you maybe accidentally save it as a jpeg at some point?

Also, try filling the area with the color whatever th background color lot use I sometimes get the weird situation where it decides part of an area isn't quite the same and just paint bucketing the color fixes it.
No, this is a direct copy-paste from the first page of this thread into MS Paint. And paint-bucketing the background colour is how I ended up with the picture I shared. :coldsweat:

For example with France the base colour is 51/51/255, but for some reason MS Paint has randomly decided these few edge pixels are 50/50/252 and 50/50/251.

Even WEIRDER:

1714730056726.png

Those two pixels next to Nice there are still coming up as 51/51/255, which is the exact colour I filled over with white. So for some reason, MS Paint is just being a world-class c**t and not even recognising that those two pixels are the same as the rest of France. Utterly bizarre. I think MS Paint is actually just glitching. Very frustrating. A hobby I use to relax has suddenly become annoying.

I don't want layers or aliased pixels or whatever. I'm not a graphic artist, I just like making simple maps as a form of meditation and creative outlet. I use MS Paint because every other program is over designed and not even slightly user friendly (like Gimp or Paint.net).
Well, as you wish
Do note that a good number of older basemaps are wildly inaccurate because they were made with eyeballing without using any kind of direct references, though.
Also I hate it when people use this kind of "but I am a simple mapper" when they are told MS paint is like the worst choice out of many. It's a graphics software you will use like 3 features from, not quantum physics.

Do note that a good number of older basemaps are wildly inaccurate because they were made with eyeballing without using any kind of direct references, though.
I've been here since 2009. I've used basemaps that would make your eyeballs bleed. I was here when the very first UCS was being developed and Cuba was so bent out of shape it was almost just a black blob in the Caribbean.
Also I hate it when people use this kind of "but I am a simple mapper" when they are told MS paint is like the worst choice out of many. It's a graphics software you will use like 3 features from, not quantum physics.
MS Paint is easily the best choice when it works (which it has done, consistently, for many years; the issue I am facing now is the first actual hindrance I've ever faced with this programme). Paint.net is probably the worst programme I've attempted to use. The pencil tool is hidden beneath like two other menus. Plus it doesn't have the convenient 'right click and drag to swap colours' feature that MS Paint has.

There's literally no advantage to using a different programme.

MS Paint is easily the best choice when it works (which it has done, consistently, for many years; the issue I am facing now is the first actual hindrance I've ever faced with this programme). Paint.net is probably the worst programme I've attempted to use. The pencil tool is hidden beneath like two other menus. Plus it doesn't have the convenient 'right click and drag to swap colours' feature that MS Paint has.
I don't know what version of it you tried but none of what you said about PDN is true. If you don't want to use anything other than MS paint, then don't complain about MS paint itself imho.

MS Paint is easily the best choice when it works (which it has done, consistently, for many years; the issue I am facing now is the first actual hindrance I've ever faced with this programme). Paint.net is probably the worst programme I've attempted to use.
It's pretty much an improved version of MS Paint in every way, virtually everything that's in MS Paint is in Paint.net and it also has many tools that will likely save you a ,ot of time, like shift-clicking with the fill tool to fill all pixels of a given color, having multiple windows open at the same time, using layers to trace off other maps, and what I believe is a godsend for anyone working on pixel art maps, the recolor tool, which is like a brush but only works on pixels with the same color as the pixel your pointer was on when you started clicking (if it doedn't make sense just try it, you'll figure it out eventually).
IMPORTANT NOTE for anyone who's trying to use Paint.net for making maps or any kind of pixel art: Turn off anti-aliasing and set the tolerance for tools like fill and recllor to a low value like 10%. This will alleviate any problems with anti-aliasing that you may otherwise have.
The pencil tool is hidden beneath like two other menus.
What do you mean? It's in the tools drawer which hovers over the workspace, if it's not there the "Tools" icon in the top right will bring it back.
Plus it doesn't have the convenient 'right click and drag to swap colours' feature that MS Paint has.
Shift-click with the fill tool on one color with a third color, do the same on the second color with the first color, do the same on the third color with the second color.
There's literally no advantage to using a different programme.
As I said, Paint.net has many tools that are able to help with mapmaking.

No, this is a direct copy-paste from the first page of this thread into MS Paint. And paint-bucketing the background colour is how I ended up with the picture I shared. :coldsweat:

For example with France the base colour is 51/51/255, but for some reason MS Paint has randomly decided these few edge pixels are 50/50/252 and 50/50/251.

Even WEIRDER:

View attachment 904549

Those two pixels next to Nice there are still coming up as 51/51/255, which is the exact colour I filled over with white. So for some reason, MS Paint is just being a world-class c**t and not even recognising that those two pixels are the same as the rest of France. Utterly bizarre. I think MS Paint is actually just glitching. Very frustrating. A hobby I use to relax has suddenly become annoying.

Huh, that's weird, I'd say manually* change everything and hope it doesn't pop-up again.

*Global color fill of a specific color or very closely related color like that is actually the ONLY thing I use Paint.NET for myself.

Ahhhhhhh--
Why did you make it do convoluted?/genq

It's not, I made it pretty simple.

If you mean why are their many different border types, well because their have to be to properly show things.

Last edited:
As I said, Paint.net has many tools that are able to help with mapmaking.
Like what?

I mean, look at this:
1714783523179.png

The paitbucket fill tool doesn't even work correctly. It creates weird colour artefacts like a JPeg. MS Paint just fills the space occupied by a single colour and nothing else. It's simple. That's all you need that tool for. Whatever the heck else PDN is trying to do is completely counterintuitive.

Edit: The only way I could get it to work was using that "magic wand" thing. But then after using that tool, the pencil tool stopped working. Paint dropper > select colour > select pencil took > try to draw, nothing happens.

Last edited:
It's not, I made it pretty simple.

If you mean why are their many different border types, well because their have to be to properly show things.
I guess what I mean it's, why are there so many types of borders that look nearly the same? I understand having lots of border types , but (for example) Coastline and Border are basically the same, as are imperial and civil conflict borders. Only the red unrecognized border and the white-ish internal border are particularly unique.

I guess what I mean it's, why are there so many types of borders that look nearly the same? I understand having lots of border types , but (for example) Coastline and Border are basically the same, as are imperial and civil conflict borders. Only the red unrecognized border and the white-ish internal border are particularly unique.

Traditionally maps here (and in many cases the wider world) use the same color for borders as coastline, however I, and many others, use a slightly different shade for borders to make it easier to edit so you don't end-up getting confused where a border ends and a coastline starts in many places.

The reason the Imperial and Civil Conflict borders are similar is because they fit into an overall category of what could perhaps be described as a 'State within a State', as Imperial borders always designate the border between a nearly independent part of a polity (Protectorate or Dominion) from other parts of it like the Metropole or directly controlled colonies.

Overall Intend to try to keep the colors within certain bands in part for the purpose I outlined above, but also my aesthetic model is basically that a (noticable) color should not be on a map unless there is an actual requirement for it.

Like what?

I mean, look at this:
View attachment 904766

The paitbucket fill tool doesn't even work correctly. It creates weird colour artefacts like a JPeg. MS Paint just fills the space occupied by a single colour and nothing else. It's simple. That's all you need that tool for. Whatever the heck else PDN is trying to do is completely counterintuitive.

Edit: The only way I could get it to work was using that "magic wand" thing. But then after using that tool, the pencil tool stopped working. Paint dropper > select colour > select pencil took > try to draw, nothing happens.
My first guess is you forgot to turn off anti-aliasing and color spill. the fill tool works perfectly pixel by pixel and with exact value RBG colors at 0% error tolerance