The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

Forgive me for necroing these comments from two years ago, but given my recent cartographic spree, I really need to know if the Republic of China/Taiwan gave up their territorial claims in Mongolia and Tuva, if they actually did dropped their claims almost twenty two years ago, you would expect that they would at least have started to make updated maps, unlike the vast majority of them that still show their century-old border claims.
I don't think that they have given up on them yet.

So I've finished a patch for the rest of Japan I had not done yet;

It includes;

-Correcting the placement and size of various islands.
-Removing some islands that either did not exist or were far to small to be shown.
-Changes to the Eastern coastline of Honshu (and a minor change to the Western coast).

Japan Update, 3.21.24.png

Additionally, for anyone who's curious, I made this to show the changes that I've done to Japan and the near-by islands over the last three patches; the red shows the pre-correction coasts and islands.

Japan Change Comparison.png

Last edited:
So I've finished a patch for the rest of Japan I had not done yet;

It includes;

-Correcting the placement and size of various islands.
-Removing some islands that either did not exist or were far to small to be shown.
-Changes to the Eastern coastline of Honshu (and a minor change to the Western coast).

View attachment 896239

Additionally, for anyone who's curious, I made this to show the changes that I've done to Japan and the near-by islands over the last three patches; the red shows the pre-correction coasts and islands.

View attachment 896240
Is it personally challenging to determine what you think is in need of change when translating your knowledge into these simpler map formats? Asking because I'm curious how you wonderful cartographerd come to your reasoning on which pixels need to be this way or that way and why....

Forgive me for necroing these comments from two years ago, but given my recent cartographic spree, I really need to know if the Republic of China/Taiwan gave up their territorial claims in Mongolia and Tuva, if they actually did dropped their claims almost twenty two years ago, you would expect that they would at least have started to make updated maps, unlike the vast majority of them that still show their century-old border claims.

I don't think that they have given up on them yet.

Taiwan (RoC) has not changed its official claims due to China stating that ANY changes to what it claims will constitute a reason to invade, however these claims are only technical legalities, in reality the only parts of China Taiwan actually claims are some islands that the PRC captured decades ago; the latter reasons are why I do not show Taiwan claiming any parts of the Mainland on any of my maps.

Last edited:
Is it personally challenging to determine what you think is in need of change when translating your knowledge into these simpler map formats? Asking because I'm curious how you wonderful cartographerd come to your reasoning on which pixels need to be this way or that way and why....

To be honest the places I end-up fixing are determined by when I happen to notice stuff while doing other maps, so for example part of my in-progress fixes to the islands of the F.S. of Micronesia resulted from me having to figure out the borders between its constituent states for my recent Ages of Consent map and noticing how off the islands were.

As to how I figure out where things should be, I basically compare larger, official maps, and Google Earth to the basemap and, taking into consideration projection differences, match things up as best as I can; at times this can be easy, like when there's an island that's right off the coast but has been erroneously shown as 4 times further away on the basemap, while other times it can be more difficult, like when determining the exact position of a small island in the Pacific that's not near anything else.

Last edited:
Here is an (previously mentioned) update for the Federated States of Micronesia; rather than being just edits this was basically a complete re-work including correcting island placement and island size as well as removing a few non-existent islands.

I have attached a comparison map below the patch showing the difference between the old version (orange) and the update (purple).

F.S. Micronesia Patch. 3.23.24.png

F.S. Micronesia Comparison.png

Now given you have been making patches, and the R-QBAM is a thing, I can do nothing but wonder why hasn't someone started a project for an accurate and consistent WorldA remake
I know many would say that "but WorldA has many patches and a remake would have to replicate all those", but really, given how small WorldA is and how it doesn't have a lot of patches to be honest (like, not a QBAM level), I think it shouldn't be a problem to replicate and even remake those patches.

Now given you have been making patches, and the R-QBAM is a thing, I can do nothing but wonder why hasn't someone started a project for an accurate and consistent WorldA remake
I know many would say that "but WorldA has many patches and a remake would have to replicate all those", but really, given how small WorldA is and how it doesn't have a lot of patches to be honest (like, not a QBAM level), I think it shouldn't be a problem to replicate and even remake those patches.

It would actually be a lot more work than you're thinking; the Worlda has gone through a single major revision a little over a decade ago, and that itself needed dozens of revisions and patches and some of those ended-up needing further revisions* themselves.

That aside, I personally don't consider there to be enough of a difference or a need to warrant it.

Incidentally I will continue using (and editing) the Q-Bam over the RQ-BAM since it's what I'm used to and what I have the most resources for.

*The original Worlda was a square and did not have most of the Pacific, the major revision made it the current shape and design it is now, including adding the missing Pacific Islands and countries, which themselves went through a major overhaul a year or two after, however even then their's still issues, which is part of what I'm currently working on.

Last edited:
Well, I'd like to respond with the fact that constantly editing and patching a basemap is a sisyphean task, to put it simple.
Regardless, I'd like to agree with you on something: The WorldA is indeed too small for its errors to be a major concern, and one may argue that QBAM is fine on it's own - and all of poor Tanystropheus's effort on R-QBAM is useless -, but after all, basemaps are a personal preference and since my preference doesn't exist as a basemap yet, I'd like to make it on my own, even if nobody will use it (though there's a huge chance that I will fail, so don't expect me to post anything about a new basemap until I indeed make substantial progress on one).
As a last note, the fact that I said patching flawed maps over and over again is sisyphean doesn't mean that your - and other patch makers' - work is any useless or bad, they are awesome and it should be respected that people are putting the effort while they could just ignore the flaws. Keep going!

Alright, so here's the total overhaul of the Republic of the Marshall Islands AND the correction for the location of the United States Minor Outlying Island of Wake Island;
Marshall Islands Patch, 3.25.24.png

And to show you how off it was, here's the comparison (not going to be doing these for every patch BTW), showing the old version (Green and Light Teal) and the patch (Black);
Marshall Islands Patch Comparison.png

Last edited:
Well, I'd like to respond with the fact that constantly editing and patching a basemap is a sisyphean task, to put it simple.

Not really, I mean it's not like geography changes constantly, and borders are frankly easier to do than large scale geography patches, it's why prior to me noticing all the Pacific issues that I went a long while between patches or updates.

Regardless, I'd like to agree with you on something: The WorldA is indeed too small for its errors to be a major concern,

They are a concern for me, however the size also means that their are less of them as a lot of areas that require fixing on larger maps simply don't show-up in enough detail to need fixing, so for example Denmark only ever needs one or two pixels to be changed for certain historical maps, where-as when I recently went over it in the Q-BAM it was a massive undertaking that took me around 7 hours.

and one may argue that QBAM is fine on it's own - and all of poor Tanystropheus's effort on R-QBAM is useless -, but after all, basemaps are a personal preference and since my preference doesn't exist as a basemap yet, I'd like to make it on my own, even if nobody will use it (though there's a huge chance that I will fail, so don't expect me to post anything about a new basemap until I indeed make substantial progress on one).

Nah brah, I'm all for people making their own, I'm just saying it's not a project I'll be involved with, as keeping the Worlda updated and doing patches for it and the Q-BAM take-up a lot of my time as is, and that's not even taking into account the British Islands BAM I'm editing.

Last edited:
@iori could you please explain what the difference is between the QBAM and the R-QBAM?
QBAM has the issue wherein it doesn't have a specific projection, people have just sort of been winging it when it comes to patches and making the map. R-QBAM, however, follows what I believe to be the Robinson Projection, thus the 'R' in R-QBAM.

On a personal note, I'll definitely switch from QBAM to R-QBAM whenever the entire basemap is completed. I may even contribute to the varying patches myself, though mostly on historical US patches I'd find time to do.

@iori could you please explain what the difference is between the QBAM and the R-QBAM?

QBAM has the issue wherein it doesn't have a specific projection, people have just sort of been winging it when it comes to patches and making the map. R-QBAM, however, follows what I believe to be the Robinson Projection, thus the 'R' in R-QBAM.

On a personal note, I'll definitely switch from QBAM to R-QBAM whenever the entire basemap is completed. I may even contribute to the varying patches myself, though mostly on historical US patches I'd find time to do.

This, more or less; when Qazaq made the Q-BAM he had no other resources to go by so it was a bespoke map and thus wasn't really able to have major redevelopments like some of their other base maps.

So my next set of patches are going to probably be Kiribati, Hawai'i and New Guinea*; I was hoping that I'd only have to do limited patches for the Pacific but the more I fix the more places I notice are off.

Also, if anyone happens to notice areas on the map they think might need fixing feel free to mention them to me as my intent is to try and get the entire map to be as correct as possible.

*I did some beginning work on all of them to force myself to do them now rather than getting distracted and doing other maps.

Alright, so this patch is one that will have to applied separately due to the map cutting through the Pacific; I think I'm gonna take a break before I due anymore of the Pacific, aside from maybe Guam and the N. Mariana Islands.

The below patches are overhauls and/or fixes for;
-U.S. State of Hawai'i
-United States Minor Outlying Islands (AKA the uninhabited U.S. Pacific Territories)
-Republic of Kiribati
-Republic of Nauru
-Tokelau (NZ territory)
-Changes to some sea borders.

Pacific Patch, 3.25.24.png

So this one thankfully only took me about 10 mins to do, however this will likely be the last patch I do this week and, depending on how my job search goes, might be for a few weeks if I get busy.

The below is a patch for the U.S. Territories of Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands;

Guam and N. Mariana Islands Patch, 3.26.24.png

Also, since I realized it makes it easier to see, here's a zoomed-in comparison of the patch (black) and the old version (orange);

Zoomed G&NMI Comparison.png

Alright, so this patch is one that will have to applied separately due to the map cutting through the Pacific; I think I'm gonna take a break before I due anymore of the Pacific, aside from maybe Guam and the N. Mariana Islands.

The below patches are overhauls and/or fixes for;
-U.S. State of Hawai'i
-United States Minor Outlying Islands (AKA the uninhabited U.S. Pacific Territories)
-Republic of Kiribati
-Republic of Nauru
-Tokelau (NZ territory)
-Changes to some sea borders.

View attachment 897196
Are Bikini, Enewetok, and Ujelang Atolls modified too, since I can't see them in this patch