Been working on this today. It is the world as it appears 1914. Note that the Netherlands has colonies in New Zealand and has kept Ceylon, I don't know if I mentioned either of them in the TL but they are Dutch colonies here.

Been reading, and it's all very interesting, but I do have a few quibbles about the map.

Firstly, when did the Dutch settle New Zealand? British missionaries had been there since 1814, the British modus operandi in NZ was keeping out the French. I doubt the Dutch would be seen as a preferable substitute, and besides, although Abel Tasman was a Dutchman it was his mishandling of the Maori in the 17th Century that led to no European explorer going near New Zealand until James Cook. Finally, what good is New Zealand to the Dutch? Their empire has traditionally been based on west-east trade with the Indies, hence the Cape Colony and Ceylon as way-stations. New Zealand is enormously out of the way, and the mercantile Dutch had no real motivation to outright conquer it (they could trade for jade with China).

Secondly, Africa; the British presence in Nigeria dates back before the POD, I believe. The mouth of the Niger River was always seen as an important site for trade, and I don't see the British giving up any vague claim to it to the Germans. Similarly, if the Dutch hold the Cape Colony, the British are hardly going to absorb Bechuanaland and the Rhodesian colonies; the butterflies affect Africa, too, you know. There will be a power vacuum in the region, and Cecil Rhodes, if he exists at all, will have to find somewhere else to stake his claim or find employment with another power in the region. Also, the Ottoman Sinai makes little sense for various reasons; securing the Suez area will be of the upmost importance to the British, and annexing Sinai via Egypt provides a buffer of empty desert between Suez and the Ottoman Empire; also, Egypt was nominally under Ottoman suzerainty during the British administration anyway, so as far as the Turks are concerned, Egypt is theirs anyway, no matter what zones the British claim for themselves.

All in all, if you want to make Africa more interesting, here are my thoughts; Dutch Setswana, in OTL Bechuanaland, as a logical course north from the Cape Colony; the Portuguese Pink Map along the Zambezi, which, without the British interfering with their Cape to Cairo desires, is extremely likely; without Italian Eritrea, it would likely fall into the hands of the British as an extension of Sudan, or even the French as an extension of Djibouti, which, OTL, was established as an ambition to creating an empire from Dakar to Djibouti (I don't see this ambition changing much). British Somaliland was established to control the mouth of the Red Sea, but it might be reduced without the Italians in the region and a stronger Ethiopia. Somalia-proper would no doubt fall into someone's hands, as the separate sultanates were hardly united. Again, most likely British or German, as both had designs on the Zanzibar Coast, which at its zenith stretched up to Mogadishu.

Obviously this is ignoring the anachronous borders, but I chalk that up to your map-making proficiency more than anything, so one would imagine the borders are different and your map there shows only the over-arching situation rather than the facts on the ground.

Basically, you need to keep in mind that the situation in Africa was not a random event set in stone. Every little bit of it was drawn up by the wheelings and dealings of the European political machine. German Sudwest Afrika, for example, only received the Caprivi Strip as part of the Zanzibar-Heligoland Treaty, in which Germany gave up the islands of Zanzibar off the coast of Tanganyika to Britain in exchange for the island of Heligoland in Europe and the Caprivi Strip. This whole event is altered by a Dutch Cape Colony, because now the Germans aren't dealing with the British at all. They might still exchange Heligoland for Zanzibar, of course, since Heligoland was traditionally German territory.

I am a bit late but i wanted to ask what impact the defeat of the Prussian again the Danish had on the career of Bismarck? Probably it has damaged it and maybe change the event after the war?
I dont think a little thing like a war would end his career. Especially if Austria and the Netherlands can be blamed for the defeat.

And answering the good emperor. When I was making the map I simply took a real life map of 1914 and then modified it somewhat. New Zealand was colonized as a proper settler colony during the 30s. The British, who kinda claimed it allowed the Dutch to colonize it in exchange for control of the Dutch gold coast. And when I made Nigeria German I thought it was Cameroon and ignored it. I will probably take some of your suggestions and release a new map, maybe with details of the Berlin conference if enough people are interested.

And answering the good emperor. When I was making the map I simply took a real life map of 1914 and then modified it somewhat. New Zealand was colonized as a proper settler colony during the 30s. The British, who kinda claimed it allowed the Dutch to colonize it in exchange for control of the Dutch gold coast. And when I made Nigeria German I thought it was Cameroon and ignored it. I will probably take some of your suggestions and release a new map, maybe with details of the Berlin conference if enough people are interested.

That explains why the British would allow the Dutch to take New Zealand, but not why the Dutch would want it. As I said, their empire wasn't built on prestige, but commerce and economics. There's nothing in New Zealand the Dutch can't get elsewhere (except, what, sweet potatoes and a bit of jade, but as I said the jade can be traded from China).

That explains why the British would allow the Dutch to take New Zealand, but not why the Dutch would want it. As I said, their empire wasn't built on prestige, but commerce and economics. There's nothing in New Zealand the Dutch can't get elsewhere (except, what, sweet potatoes and a bit of jade, but as I said the jade can be traded from China).
The way I saw it William the first was looking for sites to establish settler colonies. William broke with tradition and wanted to bring the Netherlands up to the status of a great power. And as such a large colonial empire was seen as necessary. So yes there is very little to recommend New Zealand for Dutch settlement from a economic perspective, however from the position of prestige and power it worked. And the Netherlands got to ditch some hot disease ridden parts of their empire they did not want in the first place.

The way I saw it William the first was looking for sites to establish settler colonies. William broke with tradition and wanted to bring the Netherlands up to the status of a great power. And as such a large colonial empire was seen as necessary. So yes there is very little to recommend New Zealand for Dutch settlement from a economic perspective, however from the position of prestige and power it worked. And the Netherlands got to ditch some hot disease ridden parts of their empire they did not want in the first place.

I'm still not convinced - the Gold Coast forts were hardly worth trading for prime sheep-raising land.

Anyway, as an aside, I made this for you:
upload_2016-11-17_17-40-28.png

1. Spanish Morocco - both Germany and France wanted it, and neither wanted the other to have it. So it went to Spain.
2. The Khedivate of Egypt broke from the Ottoman Empire with British help, rather than being outright invaded as OTL. It is now a British puppet.
3. The French in West Africa were not as militarily successful, and local rule remains in many places.
4. British Guinea - a complex mess, but a workable one.
5. British Sudan.
6. The Empire of Abyssinia was forced to grant extensive rights to the Somalis of the Ogaden, which are now under de facto German protection, yet still de jure part of Abyssinia.
7. The British held onto most of Zanzibar ITTL.
8. The Portuguese Pink Map came to fruition, subdivided into Angola, Zambezia, and Mozambique.
9. The Cape Colony now has responsible government. Due to a heavier process of settlement to offset surrounding powers, there are more whites here than in OTL. Not good news for the Africans.

The other thing to note is that I showed the Comoros as a German protectorate rather than a French colony as OTL. I think the Germans would like to wave their navy in France's fac here.

A few things here I thought might be fun; A German-Abyssinian War in the 1890's, resulting in the situation you see there; a Moroccon Crisis analagous to OTL, but where the Spanish win-out as a neutral alternative to France or Germany; conflicting claims between Germany and France in the Comoros. Remember, even if there is a Berlin Conference, things won't be the same, and won't be set in stone.

(Adressed to the good Emperor, or Tom) you seem to have quite a knowledge of African colonialism. A subject I admittedly know precious little about. It is nice to have someone give a few pointers now and then and I thank you for your suggestions. As well as your lovely map (Much better than mine) and concepts about an alternate Berlin conference. With your permission I would like to include these in an update detailing the Berlin conference.

I wouldn't presume to call myself 'knowledgeable' as such; it is one area I'm very fascinated in and I have picked up a few bits and pieces here and there. Where I falter is exactly what civilisations the colonial powers will come upon when they enter Africa, and how butterflies will affect African history alongside European history. It's all well and good to say, for example, that in an ATL with a POD in, say, 1600, Colonial Power A would come across the Asante in the Gold Coast, but I only just now found out upon googling it that the Asante Empire only truly began in 1701 as a result of military tactics and the adoption of firearms (presumably from European traders). Before then, I have no idea about the Asante.

Feel free to incorporate the map and whatever ideas you like into your timeline, of course. I have a map of OTL 1885 Africa as well with annotations for your reference, created by our own wonderful @Alex Richards for the map database. Given that your POD is long before 1885, there may be some additional research you will need to do, but it should be useful as a vague guide. :)

attachment.php

I thought another little interesting bit might be that Germany conquers the island of Zanzibar-proper while the British establish nominal control over Oman. The realms of Muscat and Zanj were already divided between the ancestors of a long dead sultan, but perhaps the British in Muscat offer to reclaim Zanzibar for Muscat (in actuality, for themselves, since it is in their interest), and by doing so they create an alternate Heligoand-Zanzibar Treaty wherein Britain returns Heligoland to Germany, along with Mogadishu, while Germany surrenders Zanzibar and part of the Zanzibar coast (as seen in my map). The region is, on paper, a dominion of the Sultan in Muscat, but by all accounts it is a British protectorate and subject to British administration.

I should add that after I produced that version I noticed that I'd missed off the Emirate of Futa Djallon, Oussallou Empire and the remnant Kingdom of Kong along with the Bariba Peoples of Benin. However the situation in West Africa was particularly fragmented at this point due to the decline of both Gwandu and Sokoto. Also note that most of the interior states in the Congo-Zimbabwe area were very recent creations set up by wandering warlords or slavers such as Mzilikazi and Tippu Tip.

1885-png.283132

Part II, Chapter III
The Naval Expansion act 1910.

With the realization that the Nederland class would not be enough to maintain the Netherlands position in the naval hierarchy of the world the Staaten Generaal provided seven million guilders for the construction of an additional pair of Dreadnought battleships. With the understanding that additional ships were to be ordered every two years with the aim of the navy possessing twelve Dreadnoughts by 1920. Unlike the Nederlands class there was to be no tonnage limit placed on the ships (The widening of the shipyards where the ships were to be built did away with that) nor was there to be any limit placed on the cost of the ships, provided the government did not view them as being to expensive.

No provision was given for the construction of additional cruisers or destroyers as the building of such ships was seen as unnecessary when there already existed vessels of the type in service. It would not be until 1914 that new cruisers or destroyers would be ordered. And then, with the outbreak of war, the number of ships ordered was drastically cut so as not to appear hostile to either side. Only four new cruisers out of ten were completed 1916-17. And only six out of sixteen destroyers were completed. The navies lack of heavy units would be cause for major concern later on.

Jupiter class. 1910-1912
Fortunately for the navy plans had already been finalized for the next class of battleship. Jupiter and her sister Neptunus displaced a total of twenty thousand eight hundred and seventy two tons. They possessed a main armament of ten of the new Krupp twelve inch guns in five twin turrets, secondary firepower was provided by a battery of sixteen four inch guns in casemates. The class was protected by twelve inches of armor over the turrets, conning tower and machinery, with ten to seven inches over the rest of the ships armor belt.

Laid down in 1910 these battleships were completed with much fanfare in 1912. Again the ships were opened up to free tours for the public. They would serve as the flagships of the navy until 1916 when they were replaced by larger ships. They would manage to sit out the war without serious incident and were scrapped in the mid twenties.
dfwerhyju.gif

Neptunus upon commissioning.

Waterloo class. 1912-14
The next class after the Jupiter was the Waterloo class. These twenty thousand ton ships were near sisters to the Jupiter. Carrying the same main and secondary armament, armor was the same as well. In fact the only difference these ships had from the Jupiters was newer more powerful boilers which gave a one knot advantage over there predecessors. These vessels often formed a battle squadron with the Jupiter and Neptunus, as was the case throughout the war when they routinely enforced Dutch neutrality and protected neutral shipping as it passed in and out of the English channel.
The Waterloo and her sister the Hollandia were scrapped at the same time as the Jupiters. There guns would be removed and emplaced around Batavia, providing the city with a very potent defensive capability.
scnljeni9fhi.gif

Waterloo in 1917 while on patrol in the north Atlantic

Konig Der Nederlands class. 1914-1916
A major improvement over their predecessors the Konig and her sister Staaten Generaal carried a much improved, and domestically manufactured thirteen and a half inch gun as their main armament in four triple turrets. Giving a broadside of twelve weapons total. At the time of there completion these ships were easily among the most powerful in the world, matched only by ships such as the British Queen Elizabeth and the Japanese Kongo class. Like the QE they burned oil rather than coal, giving them much more power, and hence a higher speed. With a speed of twenty five to twenty six knots these vessels closer resembled a battlecruiser than a proper battleship.These ships were also the first Dutch battleships to be quadruple screwed.

The class spent most of its career in the Indies. Deployed soon after there completion and only sailing back to the Netherlands for periodic refits to bring them up to modern standards. In 1924 the ships would have a small flying off platform added to the number three turret and a small floatplane was included on the ship. The vessels would be substantially refit in the early thirties, emerging as almost completely new ships. The refit added armor, guns and a totally new propulsion plant was installed. The ships saw their speed increased to almost twenty eight knots in some cases.
ger_bb61.gif

Konig as she appeared after her commissioning. The ships bore a strong resemblance to the German BC Derflinger, with which they shared many similar features.

De Zeven Provincen class. 1916-1920
Despite the ongoing war which was then in full swing the government decided to lay down an additional class of ship. The construction of the Provincen and her sister the William van Oranje was repeatedly suspended as the Netherlands struggled to appear neutral and stay out of the fighting. However when the ships were finally completed they were vast improvements over the Konig der Nederlands which they were originally to have been copies of. The ships carried the guns, but in better redesigned turrets with more modern fire directing equipment. They carried the same weight of armor as the Konigs, but in a much better distribution which gave the ships nearly fourteen inches of armor over their vitals. They did however possess the same speed as the Konigs, meaning they often operated as a squadron with them.
sfbwei9fh9hofweer.jpg

William van Oranje in the mid twenties while on station in the east indies.
The vessels were kept as modern as could be expected. Routine refits and overhauls kept the ships in good condition for the twenties and thirties and the William would see the middle of the century before she was decommissioned. Before she could be scrapped in 1953 however a group of her former crewmen intervened and had the ship preserved as a memorial and museum ship. Today she can be seen in Rotterdam and is free to visit.

So update showing the Dutch line of Dreadnoughts. I will now stop writing a day early (Four updates this week rather than the usual five) so I can work out an something on the army and Africa.

Part II, Chapter III
The Army
In addition to the naval bill the Staaten Generaal also provided funds for a major reform of the army which had not received significant attention since the forties and was now hopelessly obsolete compared to the forces of France or Germany. Rather than base the new army on the large conscript armies of the Belgians or Germans Dutch generals choose to model the new army on British army with five divisions of fifty thousand men apiece. Each division was then split into two divisions of twenty five thousand men. Which are then split further into five regiments, each with five thousand men. A Regiment was then further split into ten five hundred man strong Battalions and fifty one hundred man platoons.

The men comprising the army were to be trained to a very high standard, able to fire sixty rounds a minute with their rifles, and accurately hit a target at a distance of two hundred and fifty yards away. Due to the time and money it took to bring each individual up to such a standard of training the men enlisted for a period of five years, before spending an additional five years in the reserve. Thus the new army was to be a well trained and disciplined fighting force, in stark contrast to the armies of their neighbors which maintained large conscript armies of poorly trained troops. It was felt that a small, professional army would be best suited to the kind of defensive war envisioned by strategists.

The training of the army was largely overseen by British advisers, and many of the new armies officers served some time in the British army to gain experience in operations and leadership which they would otherwise lack. The force was considered fully operational by 1910 and was remarked on by the German general Hindenburg as being "Among the finest and best drilled fighting machines I have ever seen" when he attended a royal review of the third division in 1912 as the official observer of the Kaiser.

uygt6f5rd3e5tgy.jpg

negende peloton tweede holland divisie (Ninth platoon, second Holland Division) on parade through Amsterdam in 1914 just after the assassination of the Austrian Archduke. The army undertook many such parades in early 1914 both to ease the publics fear of war, and to show the rest of Europe that the Netherlands was not weak.

Okay I went back and made a post about the Dutch army. I added it to an earlier thread, but rather than having you all go back to look for it it is right above. Tomorrow I will go an talk about the scramble for Africa.

Part II, Chapter IV
African Exploration. 1870-84
Traditionally the vast interior of Africa had been a realm off limits to Europeans. The many tropical diseases to be found there, mixed with the nearly impassable jungles, deserts and Savannahs had ensured that few ventured in. And even fewer returned. By 1870 the only large colonies to be found were the Cape colony, British occupied Egypt (Nominally under control of a native monarchy swearing loyalty to the Ottomans but due to the location of the Suez canal a British Protectorate) and French owned Algeria. Portugal and Spain did both hold minor outposts along the coast, but they were few and far between and very sparsely populated.

When medical advances led to the creation of drugs which could fight back the African diseases things began to change and soon explorers had begun to map the long blank interior of Africa. Explorers such as David Livingston, Henry Morton Stanley, Pierre de Brazza and others had crisscrossed the continent. They brought back not only maps of rivers, lakes and mountains, but also vast collections of newly discovered flora and fauna which brought attention to the unspoiled nature of the continents many ecosystems.
As important as the new knowledge of the landscape and animals to be found there however was the realization of the immense natural resources to be found. The presence of diamonds, gold, silver and other precious gems had been well known, but the sheer abundance of them was only then grasped. Coming as a pleasant surprise also was the numerous other resources to be found. Copper, Tin, Iron and other metals were just some of the materials European markets were hungry for.

It was not long before the governments and merchants of Europe were sending official expeditions into the heart of Africa. Followed shortly after by formal claims on the territory mapped. King Leopold the second of Belgium would send Stanley to map to congo region before declaring the creation of the Congo society (his own personal realm where millions of natives were to be slaughtered in vast rubber plantations)Known as the Congo free state from 1885 onwards. The state would eventually expand southward along the lualaba river. At the same time the Dutch explorer Paul van Dannse on behalf of the king was exploring northwards along the Limpopo river. To avoid the possibility of a shared border with the Belgians the Netherlands soon signed a treaty with Portugal recognizing Portuguese claims between the colonies of Mozambique and Angola, effectively separating Dutch and Belgian spheres of influence.

Berlin Conference 1884-85
As Africa was explored and opened up to Europeans for the first time there arose many conflicting claims on who owned what. As a result Portugal called for a conference to settle ownership of the continent. Surprisingly the newly united Germany offered to host such a conference in the capital city of Berlin. The conference saw delegates from a total of fourteen countries, not all of which held claims upon the continent, and established clear spheres of influence in Africa. Totally ignoring most local governments. In fact only Liberia and the Ethiopian empire would manage to maintain their independence. With the empire fighting a war with the Italians to preserve theirs.

Belgium
Officially the Belgian government did not own any territory in Africa. Rather the king of Belgium King Leopold claimed the majority of the Congo river basin for himself as the Congo free state. He claimed to be interested only in the establishment of civilization, however he king would use the free state as his own personal bank. Establishing vast rubber plantations and enslaving much of the population to work in them. Under his rule millions of Congolese would be killed, raped and mutilated. A favorite punishment if the workers did not meet their assigned quotas their hands would be cut off, leaving them no way to make a living. The Belgian government would eventually step in and strip Leopold of the Congo. Turning it into an official colony of the kingdom, under the control of the government. Schools, rail and foot roads and cities were built in what would soon become one of the more successful colonial ventures on the continent.

France
France managed to claim the largest chunk of Africa. They had invaded Tunisia under the pretext of an anti piracy intervention and expanded their holdings to the south and west as well. Claiming territory as far south as the north bank of the Congo, despite some protest from the Belgian king. In the western portion of their holdings the Niger was the backbone. Its waters served as the main means of transportation to the various forts built along its banks.
The Congo river served as the main means of transportation along the equatorial holdings, being shared with Belgium. The vast Sahara desert acted as a sharp divide for the French. Making travel from North Africa to the more tropical Equatorial and Central African holdings difficult to impossible. This led to the development of many ports along the Atlantic coast of French possessions.
Aside from Algeria and Tunisia the French were not interested in establishing large settler colonies and contented themselves with a few small settlements of Frenchmen to oversee the mines and farms established in the interior. Much of the land was owned by large corporations which exploited the land for its mineral wealth.

Germany
In part due to their hosting the conference, but also due to shrewd negotiations the German empire managed to secure for its self the second largest share of Africa. Germany split their empire into Kamerun, East Africa, South west Africa, Somaliland and West Africa. While large swathes of land were under the control of private corporations the Germans did show a significant interest in establishing large settler colonies, though the climate in the colonies themselves led to very little interest from the German people.

Italy
Unlike any other nation which partook in the conference Italy held to prior claims to the continent. However after much diplomatic maneuvering they managed to secure control of a narrow strip of land wedged between German and British Somaliland. This small colony would not be enough to end the Italian appetite for land and they would attempt to annex Ethiopia in the 1890s, only to be repulsed by viscous resistance from the Ethiopians. Still eager for land they would try again, fighting a much more successful war with the Ottoman empire which would lead to Italy gaining control of Libya and de facto control over the Dodecanese islands from the crumbling edifice which was the Ottoman empire. It was soon discovered that the lands Italy held were rather worthless. Poor in resources and far to hot for colonists not much was done with either Somaliland or Libya for many years.

Ottoman Empire
Unlike others the Ottoman empire had traditionally held a large empire in Africa. Stretching from Algeria to Armenia the empire had its height had included parts of Algeria, Tunisia and Egypt. However that age was past and by the time of the conference the Sultan could claim only territory in Libya. A practically worthless colony which was soon taken by the Italians in the most recent in a string of humiliating wars with European powers.

Portugal
Once upon a time Portugal had lain claim to the much of of Africa. The great king Henry the Navigator had sent numerous expeditions out from Lisbon. And as a result numerous forts and trading outpost had been built to allow for the trading of European trinkets, guns, alcohol and beads, with native princes in exchange for slaves to work the sugar plantations in far off Brazil.
However this vast empire had been simply to large for little Portugal to hold onto and by 1870 only small settlements along the coast were still held. This changed during the conference. With the backing of the Dutch and indifference of the British Portugal managed to secure for itself a continent straddling strip of land with ends in both the Indian and Atlantic oceans. Soon all manner of miners, prospectors and missionaries arrived and began to tame the land and exploit its resources. Later, in the thirties and forties major attempts were made to establish large settlements of Portuguese to further cement the hold on the region.
The colonies are divided into Angola, Mozambique and Zambezia each with its own governor.

Spain
Following the end of the Napoleonic wars the Spanish empire had crumbled, leaving only isolated colonies in the Philippines and Caribbean belonging to the Spanish crown. The government in Madrid saw the Conference as a means of regaining some of the lost prestige and improving Spain's fortunes in the coming century. Spanish diplomats managed to secure control of Morocco and the western Sahara from the eager hands of both France and Germany, neither of whom Britain was eager to see possessing land so close to the straits of Gibraltar.
The local ruler of Morocco was allowed to remain in power provided he paid taxes, did not interfere with Spanish affairs, and kept his people in line. On the whole that was the end of Spain`s interference in the region. A few mines and settlements were attempted, and a few even thrived and prospered in the harsh desert sun. But most withered away within a few years leaving the region largely free of Catholic churches and the Spanish tongue. A very light rule for a nation which had taken the new world by force.

United Kingdom
Like the French British negotiators had worked to enlarge existing territories in the Berlin conference. Chief among their concerns being the safety of the Suez canal. As a result a protectorate was established over the existing government in Egypt, long a theoretical possession of the Ottoman sultan but in reality under the rule of a local dynasty. The territory claimed by Britain stretched the whole of the Nile, cutting deep into the heart of Africa and ending in Lakes Victoria and Chad. Where the headwaters of the Nile began.
Ownership of Guinea was also acquired as an extension of existing colonies. Guinea was a bit of a mess, under the control of local tribal rulers and blanketed in nearly impassable jungles its inner regions would take some time to bring under full British control. In the meantime new mining companies soon popped up and began extracting the riches of the land, while others pushed ever deeper into the jungles in the search for new veins of gold and silver. To say nothing of deposits of Diamonds and other jewels.
In addition to these large bits the British also claimed control of numerous other small bits of territory such as Gambia and the ivory coast. As well as a few offshore islands. All were brought under the rule of the crown, in time becoming important parts of an empire on which the sun never set.

The Netherlands
The Netherlands had one reason and one reason only for participating in the conference. That of expanding their Cape colony to the maximum extent possible. To that end Dutch diplomats worked closely with the Portuguese,aside from Germany the only nation with a shared border to the cape colony, to find a border which would satisfy both nations. After some work the Netherlands secured the entirety of the southern tip of the continent, as well as a fair amount of the interior. As a result of the colonies growth it was renamed Zuid-Afrika and made an integral part of the Dutch empire. The colony was the only part of Africa which held a substantial population of white settlers, having been established in 1652, in addition many cities had also been developed. Most notable Johannesburg and Williamsburg, each with populations upwards of fifty thousand.
This gave the Netherlands a major headstart in the colonial race and the Dutch capitalized heavily on it. Using the existing population to establish brand new settlements in the newly acquired lands to the north. The existing roads and rail lines were similarly expanded to connect these new towns and by 1900 Zuid-Afrika was by far the most profitable colony on the continent.

New update showing the altered Berlin conference, thank you Emperor of New Zealand and Alex Richards for your suggestions and maps, they provided alot of ideas. In fact the update turned out to be a fair bit longer than I originally intended, hence why it came a day late. Tomorrow the TL will finally be back on track with the start of the great war.

Very nice, and plausible, too! The only nitpick I can think of is the Italo-Abyssinian War. With Britain, Germany, and Italy all possessing land around the Horn of Africa, I can see Abyssinia becoming a sort of African Siam, similarly to OTL; kept independent and neutral as a buffer between the competing colonies. The British deliberately prevented the French from annexing too much Siamese land in OTL because they feared the French getting too close to India; ITTL, it would be the same, but with Egypt.

Regarding my map;

Germany

Compared to the other powers at the Berlin Conference, Germany was a relative newcomer to the Imperial Game. Internally, the German government was divided on the issue of colonies; on the one hand, they provided prestige, a potential source of income, and strategic bases from which the German Navy could operate in the Atlantic and Indian Oceans, but on the other hand the German ambitions lay mostly on the continent. In the end, it was the former camp that won out, and Germany laid claim to several large swathes of land on mainland Africa, on the western end of the Cape of Good Hope (Sudwest Afrika), the Gulf of Guinea (Togoland), east from Lake Tanganyika (Tanganyika), and, in an aborted attempt at controlling East Africa entirely, the Germans seized several ports along the Somali Coast.

Later in the 19th Century, two important events happened within the German Colonial Empire; the first was the South African Agreement, which saw a strip of land cut east from the north of Sudwest Afrika to the Zambezi River, with the Germans hoping to gain a valuable route to Tanganyika. In exchange, the Dutch ensured that any wayward Dutch settlers in Sudwest Afrika would be protected by the colonial authority to the same degree as German settlers. As it would turn out, the Zambezi was a treacherous course upon which to travel, but by the time German explorers had mapped the river, the agreement was in place. The second thing to happen was the disastrous German-Abyssinian War. Still clamouring a greater empire in East Africa, the Germans from their colony in Somaliland launched a campaign west into the Abyssinian interior, under the guise of chasing rebel clans into the Somali Ogaden region. The Emperor of Abyssinia responded by amassing troops and marching east, and the two sides trades several blows, which became an all-out war. The Germans moved quickly, using their superior arms to drive back Abyssinian forces. In the end, the British intervened, afraid that Germany would reach the Nile and threaten their shaky hold on Egypt, which was a vital link from the Mediterranean to India. Under British arbitration, the Germans and Abyssinians signed the Treaty of Berbera (Berbera; the capital of British Somaliland); Germany gained a large sphere of influence over eastern Abyssinia, in a region the Abyssinians were forced to grant extensive autonomy to. In exchanged, Germany agreed to respect the independence and neutrality of Abyssinia.

Before long, German mining operations began to flood into the Ogaden region, employing numerous Somalis at an abysmal wage to dig the mines.

I left out the Italian presence there, but it's not really important either way; the Italians wouldn't hold much sway wherever they were.

Very nice, and plausible, too! The only nitpick I can think of is the Italo-Abyssinian War. With Britain, Germany, and Italy all possessing land around the Horn of Africa, I can see Abyssinia becoming a sort of African Siam, similarly to OTL; kept independent and neutral as a buffer between the competing colonies. The British deliberately prevented the French from annexing too much Siamese land in OTL because they feared the French getting too close to India; ITTL, it would be the same, but with Egypt.

Regarding my map;

I left out the Italian presence there, but it's not really important either way; the Italians wouldn't hold much sway wherever they were.

Glad to know it sounds good. And yes I felt that Italy could safely get away with having something in Somalia as they really would not be able to do anything. And I admit that I had not considered Ethiopia's continued independence in that light. Now that you mention it though I totally planned it that way the whole time. :closedeyesmile: It was my idea from the get go.

Part II, Chapter V
Mounting Tensions. 1905-1914
The early twentieth century was dominated by the rivalry between the German and British empires. And the massive string of alliances and treaties the two nations made with the other nations of Europe. Germany first with the Dual alliance with Austro-Hungary. And later with the addition of Italy the Central powers challenged the Anglo-French Triple Entente with Russia which would force the German monarchies to fight two vast fronts in the event of any future war. The two sides engaged in many small scale skirmishes in Africa and the Ottoman empire was handed to the Italians by the Entente in the 1911 Italio-Turkish war. As a result the Italians gained new territory in Africa and the Ionian sea.

Aside from each of the main power blocks each nation held numerous treaties of alliance with other nations. Such as the Russian empires alliance with Serbia. Or Britain s 1902 alliance with the Japanese Empire meant to counter the growth of the German navy, freeing British warships from duties in Asia for service with the Grand fleet in the north sea.

France and Germany both wished to bring the Netherlands into their power bloc. Feeling that Dutch participation would give them a vital advantage in any future war with the other the two sides actively campaigned to get a treaty out of the Staaten Generaal. The Dutch refused though as they did not want to risk involvement in another brutal European war. Rather the Netherlands would remain neutral and choose not to take sides in any of the minor skirmishes the two sides became involved in. Such as the Congo crises or Italio-Turkish war. In fact through all these crises the Netherlands actually thrived, appearing as a strong neutral country they repeatedly helped to broker treaties between the blocs. Dutch banks grew as a result of the rivalry between the powers. Dutch shipping also saw a notable growth in the period as low taxes encouraged companies to ship their products aboard Dutch vessels.

Fatal shots.
Immediately after the Austrian archduke Franz Ferdinand's assassination the wisdom of remaining free of allies became clear as the situation rapidly unraveled. The archduke, the heir to the vast and unstable Austro-Hungarian empire, and his wife sofia were driving through the city of Sarajevo when a group of Serbian nationalist shot and killed both of them. three weeks later Austro-Hungary, with German support making them bold, delivered an ultimatum to Serbia giving them twenty four hours to give into certain demands. Vienna hoped that Serbia would say no and war could be declared, taking care of a major thorn in the side of the teetering Hapsburg empire. With Germany giving their support the government was certain Russia would abandon Serbia to the Austrians.

Vienna was wrong however and Russia did indeed come to the support of Serbia, mobilizing over a million men clandestinely on the 26th of July 1914. This was done prior to the Austro-Hungarian ultimatum being sent to the Serbians. Russia did not make the mobilization public until the 28th. By which time it Vienna had declared war upon Serbia. Russia began a full mobilization on the 30th with the bulk of their forces going to the border with Austria. Germany, which needed to defeat Russia quickly before swinging the main army to fight France in the west, declared war upon Russia on the 1st of August. France then declared war upon the central powers soon after. The first world war had begun...

Last edited: