The most ridiculous aircraft design

Did that actually get off the ground?
according to wiki, yes, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafner_Rotabuggy

pic in flight (being towed, since it is a autogyro glider)
Rotabuggy.jpg

Archibald

Banned
As a category, you can make a case for most of the VTOL's, apart from helicopters. How many bazillion dollars have been spent, with marginal success, to create a practical aircraft that fulfills a useful purpose? The Osprey has finally gotten there, but at extraordinary expense. My impression is that in order to accomplish just the basics of their intended mission, they become technically so complex as to make Rube Goldberg blush.

Seconded. The quest for V/STOL was (and still is) an hemorroaege of pilot lives and dollars. Aviation buff as I am, it still baffles me as dull and uninteresting. Both V-22 and F-35C still pay a high price to V/STOL.

Operation Aphrodite was an attempt to deliver massive bombs to U-boat pens protected by thick concrete roofs.
They had limited success with modified B-17 bombers.

thorr97

Banned
Sparky,

Why not just have more Grand Slam's or Tallboy's used instead?

Because the Grand Slams and Tallboys took specialized aircraft to use. The Aphrodite project took otherwise surplus bombers and outfitted them to achieve the same effect. Also, the Aphrodite bombers were precision guided missiles and expected to be more accurate than those heavy bombs dropped from miles above their targets.

The Japanese achieved much the same results and did so with devastating accuracy when they packed some of their old and worn out bombers with high explosives and flew them into their targets. Of course, their terminal guidance systems were not "remotely operated" like the Aphrodite program's....

thorr97

Banned
As in the case with the "ugly" thread, this one too seems to ignore the design requirements and the success at meeting them when it comes to evaluating whether a design is "ridiculous" or not. Which is a real shame because quite a few of these "ridiculous" looking aircraft actually accomplished their intended functions quite well.

Insider

Banned
Wasn't the theory to come in against the doors vs the roof; thinking the doors more vulnerable?
there were no, or almost no doors. And of course the blast inside the bunker would ruin it much more then any outside explosion (save a nuclear bomb)

As in the case with the "ugly" thread, this one too seems to ignore the design requirements and the success at meeting them when it comes to evaluating whether a design is "ridiculous" or not. Which is a real shame because quite a few of these "ridiculous" looking aircraft actually accomplished their intended functions quite well.

I agree and that is the problem with this sort of thread. There is always some sort of thread drift. I stated at the beginning what it was about, and gave a couple of examples to show what I meant. The Airacuda illustrates perfectly what I was looking for - ridiculous ideas that somehow made it into the air. As usual some people have taken this as licence to post their favourite weird idea that looks a bit odd, but actually wasn't at all bad.

I'll take this opportunity to add the Potez 540, which was considered by the French Air Force to be a multi-role combat aircraft - fighter, reconaissance, bomber. Now, that's ridiculous.

potez54-9.jpg