The Great Calamity: An Abbasid/Zanj rebellion tl

The Reign of al-Muwatikkil

The reign of al-Muwattikkil started obviously with a massive issue with the death of his famed brother al-Wathiq in battle and dealing with war from the Khurramiyyah. Despite these obstacles, Muwatikkil overcame early in his rule and gaine noteriety amongst the people of the land. As well, the vaunted Mihna was at an end final as Muwatikkil in Ibn Hanbal's dying breath agreed to return to the Sunnah. However, he still kept the highly influential Mu'Tazila faction at court with all their mechanisms. However, in this reign it became clear who the power was, the Mamluk faction through and through. The most famed of these was Bugha al-Kabir, who became a vaunted warrior and general when he defeated the Armenian revolt in 855 and was the anchor of the Abbasid forces in Egypt.

The Byzantine invasion of Damietta

In 856 following the Armenian revolt and the tragic Khurramite wars, the Byzantines saw an opportunity and attacked simultaneously Alexandria and Damietta, this was in conjugation with the Bujah revolt in the south of Egypt. Muwatikkil moved his armies to reject the Byzantines and defend against the Bujah from the south. Leading the defense was Bugha al-Kabir the hero of the Armenian revolt and increasingly the dominant general and figure of the Mamluk factions within Samarra. At The battle of Damietta the Arab forces made up of Turkish generals Arab levies and a large assortment of Copts were routed by the Byzantine force, while in Alexandria the citizens resisted the Byzantine attack. In the south al-Qummi, a native Egyptian, led a counterattack on the Bujah and defeated them in around Ash Sharqiyyah (Kassala, Sudan)(Bujah = Bejah), bringing them under the yoke of the Abbasid once more. Al-Qummi's success at such a young age (27), coming from an honorable tribe originally from Yemen, gave him fame throughout Egypt. However, not wishing to anger the powers at be in the courts at Samarra, Muwatikkil did not give al-Qummi a title nor a promotion in rank. In Damietta Bugha al-Kabir defeated the Byzantine incursion and peace deals where signed by exchanging slaves in 857.

In the courts of Samarra the Mu'Tazila having lost their power of the Mihna where now grasping at any way to influence the Caliph, including his execution and support of their own candidate. The plotting would continue for the entire year of 859. But more importantly the Mu'Tazila sought a way to kill Bugha al-Kabir and end his power of the Caliph and would do so at any cost. In the tail end of 859, the Mu'Tazila hired Ahmid ibn Khamid al-Farsi to murder Bugha al-Kabir in his quarters in Samarra. However, the situation was not meant to be and Ahmid was killed by Bugha's guards. Despite the obvious nature of the attack, Bugha had no proof of the Mu'tazila's involvement, thus he kept his peace and planned to find ways with the rest of his allies in the court to destroy them and their scheming.

In the year 860, Muwatikkil was caught in between court conflicts and neither side was willing to keep him. The Mu'Tazila sought to use his concubines or poison him. However, it was all to late, as Bugha had outmatched them... In the early part of 861, Bugha paid a number of Arab tribes to rebel around Dimshaq and the surrounding country, Bugha then used couriers to propogate the interference of Umayyad supporters. In response, as Bugha guessed, Muwatikkil ordered he engage the rebels, Bugha in response pleaded with the Caliph, saying:

"By Allah, if it is not the scandalous Umayyad which defiles the throne of the Amir of the Mu'min, is it not befitting that the Amir contest the claim and prove his valor? Let it be known that Allah rewards those upon truth and dignity, who delegate not when the matter at hand is great! As it is said, the sword is ready, yet the heart lingers, but take heart O Amir, for you rule over the believers and no harm shall befall you, with Allah as my witness."

Inspired by his words, the Muwatikkil agreed to the journey and set out with Bugha. Once they arrived at Dimshaq, there was no enemy, Muwatikkil laughingly commented:

"How befitting the Umayyad to run before the echo of the Amir, better he engage us now however, so his type breed not."

Bugha replied:

"In truth, best be that those like you, not breed."

Then as the final word was said, an arrow shot through the air striking Muwatikkil in the heart. Several more were shot consecutively to make it seem real and proclaimed him martyred at battle. In Samarra the Mu'Tazila rushed into action and before Bugha could arrive, the Mu'Tazila took control over the city and put al-Mu'ayyad on the throne and expelling the Turkish candidate al-Muntasir. Bugha enraged led an assault on Samarra which led to a Turkish victory and the massacre of Samarra in which the majority of the Mu'Tazila court faction in Samarra was executed and the young al-Mu'ayyad executed and al-Muntasir put upon the throne.

Al-Muntasir, in attempt to win over his subjects as his first act, allowed the travel of Shi'i to Karbala and Najaf, which had been outlawed since Umayyad times. Despite these moves by Muntasir, rumors where abound of an awaited Mahdi and that the upstart Turk Bugha was running the Ummah and that the Abbasid was nothing more than a puppet of the sly Turk.

In the lands far to the south one came calling into the crowds of Awal:

"Behold, for the words of the divine have came unto you from the house of the honorable and the sword of heaven appears brightly before you. It is I, al-Dibaj, the Mahdi of our time and all time to come."

The words of Ali ibn Muhammad claiming the title of Dibaj referring to the nickname of Muhammaf ibn Ja'far al-Sadiq, the Imam of the Shumaytiyya who rebelled in 814 in Medina against the Abbasid, but was killed and his rebellion quelled. Ali ibn Muhammad claimed to be the incarnation of Dibaj and thus the Mahdi. He claimed this in the land of Awal to the Shi'i living there, however due to his foreign accent (being from Iraq) and no real name, he was rejected and exiled from Awal. Depressed about his luck in gaining support in Awal, he made back for Iraq, his homeland in and around Kufa.

In the destination of a hopeful Mahdi, arose a bright light from Kufa who's deeds would be called the glorious and legacy run before him. This man, being Yahya ibn Umar, the Qa'im of the Shi'i.

In the next chapter we will get closer to the Zanj Rebellion!

Good. Poor Muwatikkil. It doesn't sound like he could trust anyone. So will you tell us when we diverge.
Edit. Just been reading up about Muwatikkil and sounds like his lack of friends wasn't exactly undeserved. He could be something of a nasty figure. Ah well. He did some good work by the sound of things.

Last edited:
I never realised their was so many internal factions and conflict within the Abbasid Caliphate at this time, the political intrigue is fascinating.
I also wonder how well the Arab identity was defined at this time? As it seems to play a large role, as well as that of the other ethnicities. I was under the assumption that the difference between the Arabians, and the Arabised people from elsewhere whilst diminishing at this time, was clearly still visible? I may be mistaken though.
Weren't Syrians Arabised during the Umayyad period? As I know they made up the vast majority of "Arabs" that settled Al-Andalus, and considered themselves as such, but maybe the situation in the Levant was different.

I never realised their was so many internal factions and conflict within the Abbasid Caliphate at this time, the political intrigue is fascinating.
I also wonder how well the Arab identity was defined at this time? As it seems to play a large role, as well as that of the other ethnicities. I was under the assumption that the difference between the Arabians, and the Arabised people from elsewhere whilst diminishing at this time, was clearly still visible? I may be mistaken though.
Weren't Syrians Arabised during the Umayyad period? As I know they made up the vast majority of "Arabs" that settled Al-Andalus, and considered themselves as such, but maybe the situation in the Levant was different.

It depends. However, in the case of Syria, the majority did not consider themselves Arab until after the Crusades. Iraq on the otherhand was flooded with migrants from Yemen and other areas, as well, unlike Syria Arabs had been a slowly growing minority before Islam, aka the Lahkmids of al-Hira.

The reign of al-Muntasir

Al-Muntasir's reign began due to his alliance wit the Turkish factions. His power however was at the mercy of the Mamlukfaction ruling his court. Early in his reign, he decreed to move the court to Baghdad due to the traumatic events at Samarra in which the Caliph changed hands three times in a single week. Within a month of his reign, his most powerful supporter, Bugha al-Kabir died of age in the court at Samarra. Despite the death of Bugha, he was replaced quickly by his son Musa ibn Bugha and oddly Bugha al-Saghir (Bugha the younger, no relation to Bugha the elder). These two with other lesser Turkish generals, made up the vanguard defending al-Muntasir and the true power behind the throne. Despite all the powers behind his rule Muntasir died in mid 862, only a year into his rule. Likely, he died from a sudden illness, being a feeble boy from youth and easily controllable.

Musa ibn Bugha asserted his power early on, by placing al-Musta'in upon the throne as the Amir al-Mu'minin. Musta'in became known in his early years as having a hate for dissidents and particularly for Shi'i and recanted his brother's ruling on Shi'i travel and stopped the movement, as well, he oddly showed a liking to bloody executions and attacking enemies in court despite his relative youth. He would enjoy the opportunity he would soon have.

In the circle of the Mu'Tazila, who now kept away from Samarra for fear of the new bloody Amir Musta'in and the duo of Musa and Bugha al-Saghir. Their scheming however, did not subside and plot they did in hopes to get the favor of a new Caliph and move the throne to Baghdad close to the House of Wisdom. Their candidate was the rejected al-Mu'Tazz, who was originally the candidate in line but was rejected due to his less controllable personality and the other candidate al-Muhtadi was simply too young and the least controllable.

"Hear the words I hath to speak abd let not a jewel pass your eyes. The honorable ones from the Ahl ul-Bayt have been shamed and the righteous cursed. As it is said, the Taqqiyyah is to last until the Mahdi comes, who has been in waiting since Karbala, but now I say, he lives freely and his radiant blade will cut the sky, for the wraith of Allah is great and all transgressors who have shamed the noble will be cut down as dogs."

Further he went

"The sun will eclipse truly as it is said at the appointed time and in the same the lands of the East and West will see the Mahdi, the one to whom Allah has given the world so to return it to the ways of the Ahl ul-Bayt and wrong the injustice. The word is the Word until the wrongs have been Righted."

The words of the famed Yahya ibn Umar. Yahya in Kufa with these words proclaimed to be the Mahdi or the redeemer of Islam and to wrong the injustices done to the land and for once and for all end the tyranny of the Abbasid. He claimed with glee the corruption of the court and the impiety of the Turk which took the throne from Ahl ul-Bayt and further he cursed the Mu'Tazila for the atrophy of the house of Abbasid. His words astonished the people of Kufa as he was a known scholar and relative of Muhammad from the line of Hassan son of Ali ibn Talib. This great credentials led him to take up his case with the famous Shi'i jurist Umar ibn Faraj of Kufa, who gave Yahya ibn Umar the title of Mahdi and submitted his followers to Yahya.

In anticipation, Yahya called upon all believers in the house of Muhammad to join him in a Hijra to Karbala and Najaf. The people of Kufa then unanimously arose in rebellion carrying the Green flag as its standard. His army numbering around 30k made its course through the desert towards Karbala. His forces where made up of Muhjahid from Kufa, peasants, Shi'i jurists and Bedoiun seeking plunder. However, Yahya, was a famed warrior and his soldiers where high in spirit for the battles to come.

In Samarra, hearing of the rise of a Mahdi from Kufa, Musta'in rejoiced at the chance to attack a peasant and teach his subjects a strict lesson in terms of rebelling against the Amir. Despite his eagerness, Musa ibn Bugha advised caution and to send a smaller force to deal with the rebels rather than he himself go to battle, as it would sully the name of the Amir to fight such swine as this Yahya from Kufa. Thus, Musta'in tasked Husayn ibn I'smail to engage and defeat Yahya ibn Umar.

Husayn having gained noteriety in Iran fighting the Khurramiyyah, accepted the task and led his army from Baghdad to intercept Yahya before he reached his target at Karbala. Husayn engaged Yahya at Hayderiyeh.

At the battle, Yahya realizing the force opposing him decided to give his men heart and invigorate them.

"Why fear the enemy? Did you not give me allegiance and spoke with steadfast truth you belief in me? How quickly does the faith run before you when faced with stiff armor and shining blades? Take heart however, for Allah is above the weapons of the many and his fire too hot for any armor save his own which now truly you wear!"

As the army of Husayn moves close to the battlefield with its arrays and the horseman on all sides, Yahya to the bewilderment of his army and supporters cries loudly:

"See the swine arrive, arrive only to the slaughter. For any in the way of destiny is to be swarmed and condemned, watch as I cut through them O believers!"

Yahya then rode forth to the center between the armies and called to the army of Husayn, saying:

"O those who claim to be Muslim from amongst you, surely you have honor to face me in single combat as the messenger did in the times of old and that our forefathers did in the times of ignorance. If my head falls then so to does my army behind and victory is to you and Allah knows best. Just this, grant me this wish, let it be the dog Husayn, the slave from afar to whom my blade touches, surely the Turk has that much honor."

Husayn in embarrassment and anger ride forth, a younger man, having gained his fame in combat he assumed his superiority and agreed to the terms. Despite this, in the ensuing duel, Yahya gained victory and killed Husayn ibn I'smail in the duel. In piety and great uproar, the army of Yahya charged forward inspired by his victory and in a decisive and miraculous battle routed the superior Abbasid army already disheartened from the death of their commander. The victory was heard throughout the land, the great Yahya Ibn Umar had shamed the house of the Abbasid upon the battlefield and brought honor to the believers. Shi'i flocked to his cause in vast numbers.

Musa ibn Bugha angered by the events decided he would quell the rebellion himself and gathered an army to march on Karbala and defeat this upstart peasant. With him came the caliph himself hoping to distribute justice himself.

Yahya hearing of the coming army from his Bedoiun allies, decided to set camp around Karbala and wait for them. He hoped for a grand decisive victory and with such a victory the Abbasid would surely fall and be the catalyst for his own state based in Karbal-Najaf-Kufa. However, he also knew that Musa would never accept a duel challenge and the battle would have to be fought in a normal manner.

The battle of Karbala then took place between a slightly smaller Abbasid force and the army of Yahya. The battle would start early in the morning outside Karbala. The fighting was truly intense and the battle became a stalemate with Yahya leading from the front upon his horse. The next stage of the battle the exit day turned disastrous as the army of Musa outflanked his relatively slow army and the Mamluk cavalry cut a swathe through the Shi'i army, who's troops began to flee en masse as Yahya was separated from the main army. Yahya and his smaller force cut from the vanguard wild resist the rest of the battle until subdued and the vanguard sufficiently routed.

Yahya upon capture was tied and taken to the camp of Musta'in a little ways from the battlefield.

Musta'in "O, I see, this is the Mahdi of Allah. Interesting, how negligible would it have been to choose such a lowly creature for destiny."

Yahya "Is it lowly to be from the house of belief? Is it lowly to be the one upon the righteous? Is it lowly for the hero of the common and of the faith and follower of the truth? Little is that which has much yet dispenses little piety and has no watch for the all seeing, all can be seen and accounted for will be the house of the Abbasid."

Musta'in "The so called beauty of the desert and of the ignorant, how much have you forgotten the grandeur in all the ways of the Abbasid? In truth we are the pillar upon which the faith stands as was seen by the honor of the warriors who have bested your so called holy army. If it be in my interest, you will kiss the dirt and grovel before the might of the master."

Yahya "We know of the supposed nobility to which you brag, but it does not impress I. I fear Allah, and to grovel is due only for him, I lack what you are in need of. Now let me pass honestly."

Musta'in "All men, earn a death befitting them, this is true. Indeed, I have for you a honest end, meeting the criteria of your rank and insolence."

Then Yahya was taken and out on a pole and not unlike death by a thousand cuts, was dismembered and finally his head was given to the watching and entertained Musta'in. The land mourned a honest and famed man who led the flag against tyranny.

In the same year a man arrived in Kufa, this man is Ali ibn Muhammad...

Next Chapter we finally get to the Zanj rebellion!

Last edited:
No feedback?

I am enjoying this timeline, but me along with what I assume must be the majority of your readers aren't particularly well versed with this part of history, so there's not much we can say besides the reptitive "nice update" type of comment. Alas it's a problem when you're on an English timeline board, timelines focused on familiar events such as the ACW will gets tons of comments from people (due to many people on the board being able to at least give their 2 cents) compared to timelines that focus on what appears to be many as obscure parts of history.

Trust me, I also write an Islamic timeline and have pretty much the same problem, the only thing you can do is try to focus on views instead of replies and hope the fact no one calls on any mistakes you make means your doing something right :eek:. But yes, nice update, what year are we at now anyways?

I am enjoying this timeline, but me along with what I assume must be the majority of your readers aren't particularly well versed with this part of history, so there's not much we can say besides the reptitive "nice update" type of comment. Alas it's a problem when you're on an English timeline board, timelines focused on familiar events such as the ACW will gets tons of comments from people (due to many people on the board being able to at least give their 2 cents) compared to timelines that focus on what appears to be many as obscure parts of history.

Trust me, I also write an Islamic timeline and have pretty much the same problem, the only thing you can do is try to focus on views instead of replies and hope the fact no one calls on any mistakes you make means your doing something right :eek:. But yes, nice update, what year are we at now anyways?

Thanks. And yes, I figured as much.

The year when Ali enters Kufa is 863 so the next update will start at year 863/864.

Also it could've been worse, I at first planned to do the years in Hijri years, but decided not to because no one would know what I was talking about.

Not to versed in this era, although I do recognize Bugha the elder, and I think the Saffarids either passed or are rising in Persia. I do like the style and the dialogue of this TL.

Yes, Ya'qub ibn al-Layath has started his rise to power, but his official break from the Abbasid was in 867. In the next update, which I will write on Friday, will include Ya'qub and another revolt that I am creating via an obscure character and building a dynasty from nothing...

And thanks on the dialogue, I try :D

I've read a bit about the anarchy in Samarra, it's cool to see a narrative version of it with some subtle alternate changes that I expect are going to ripple out.

I'll definitely have more comments once the changes become more substantial. Excited to see what you do.

Writing wise, I don't believe you're a native speaker but you do a good job of capturing a feel for the history in the dialogue and the narrative, which is not always an easy thing to do.

I'm excited, as ever, for the next update.

I've read a bit about the anarchy in Samarra, it's cool to see a narrative version of it with some subtle alternate changes that I expect are going to ripple out.

I'll definitely have more comments once the changes become more substantial. Excited to see what you do.

Writing wise, I don't believe you're a native speaker but you do a good job of capturing a feel for the history in the dialogue and the narrative, which is not always an easy thing to do.

I'm excited, as ever, for the next update.

Yes I know, I am infamous for spelling mistakes :D.

And thanks on the input :)

The reign of al-Musta'in

"Let it be heard by all that the might of the Caliph and of his honorable house is absolute and the sign of the approval of Allah was seen in the defeat and slaying of the infidel and Karbala, the nobility from which thy master speaks, refuses to utter the name of the filth wining challenged the great star which is the immovable house of Abbasid."

-declaration of Musta'in put upon the Masjids of southern Iraq mainly Karbala, Kufa and Najaf

Musta'in and his powerful masters Bugha al-Saghar and Musa ibn Bugha remained dominant and more and more powerful after the martyrdom of Yahya ibn Umar. Musta'in with support, attacked Kufa several days following Yahya's execution and killed the Shi'i cleric Umar ibn Faraj who had previously given consent to Yahya and gave him his revolutionary start. As well, he further limited the movement of the people by creating zoning therefore keeping people from traveling between Karbala and Kufa and thus limiting Shi'i revolutionary potential. Turkish guards where then distributed across the Shi'i villages and cities to police and keep watch. Entering into this arena of oppression was Ali ibn Muhammad, who saw great discontent and would soon begin to frequent Catina and other social places amongst the poor and inquire their condition and views.

Meanwhile, Musta'in was becoming more and more dangerous in his courts murdering individuals within the prisons below his palace and enjoying the plight of the people. Despite his tyranny, he was easily controlled by the Mamluk Duo of Musa ibn Bugha and Bugha al-Saghar. However rifts where being created amongst the Duo. Bugha al-Saghar saw Musta'in as too close to Musa ibn Bugha, especially after Musa had defeated Yahya ibn Umar and gained the favor over Buhgha in the court. Bugha sought new support in the old Mu'Tazila clique which was waiting for its time to strike the son of Bugha al-Kabir. Thus, Bugha went to the Mu'Tazila in Baghdad seeking an alliance, meeting with Assad al-Wathiq, the most influential of the Mu'Tazila in Baghdad (invented person). Assad al-Wathiq agreed to the alliance but this time hid under his sleeve a trump, the indoctrination of their new candidate al-Mu'Tazz.

In 863, Ardurnarseh rose to power amongst the Khurramiyah who had been in a period of considerable decline. Meaning the fiery word of man, Abdurnarseh rose to power defeating other Khurramite warlords and defeating small Abbasid detachments. He slowly began building his forces for another strike.

In the east of the Muslim world on the periphery of Musta'in, arose the Emir Ya'qub ibn al-Layath al-Saffarids arose as a hero of Ahl Sunnah, by defeating Khawarij rebels in Afghanistan and waging a war against the Zunbils in Zabul and defeating their armies and famously pulling apart their idols proclaiming;

"Look upon the idol of gold, what life does it hold and what power does the ruby give? How little has it protected you and your people. Yet, I, by a Lord so almighty and so lofty have bested your most valiant and shamed this your idols. But let me prove beyond doubt the power of such idols and the freedom from which our religion adds"

And thus dismantled the great golden structures of the Zunbil and the majority of the Zabul submitted completely to Islam and to Ya'qub.

Then as his great claim to fame, the Khawarij, Ammar ibn Yasir began a rebellion in Sistan claiming the dismantle of the Abbasid and the slaying of the unrighteousness:

"In truth the reform will rise in the east as it is said from amongst the downtrodden and those with long flowing beards and the one upon the path of falsehood, will be reformed and the defiler who lives upon the suffering of the Muslim will be slew and burned."

Ammar ibn Yasir's rebellion picked up steam and conquered the Sistan province and then invaded and took Quetta as its capital. Ya'qub al-Saffar realizing the threat and potential fame jumped into action, recruiting native Pashtun and Persian warriors he marched to engage Ammar at Zhob. Thus, Ya'qub marched into a fierce battle in which Ammar had defeated a small Abbasid detachment and a local village force. The battle would commence the next day, at Zhob Baluchistan. Ammar called upon his armies to stand guard and to defeat the defying infidel who has taken to the love of the house of Abbasid, he proclaimed:

"How great it is to see the governor and traitor Ya'qub show his face before us. What fool believes the heart of such a traitorous man, who claims to be a man of the people yet bows to Musta'in the great liar in Baghdad. See, my soldiers never bow lest it be needed and the ruler from afar is but a lie and illusion to the believing people, thus draw swords oh, slave."

Ya'qub responded

"Tis true, a man who bows from afar without power is but a slave and thus a hypocrite and his words lack meaning. However, look upon me, I have no blemish, neither do I bow before a master other than Allah. My sword stretches across the land to the west and east and the infidel knows me as my men can contest, can yours, O coward? You cry for Allah, yet as Zabul was right over the hill, you made no moves toward them, why? While my army has crushed the idols and brought peace unto the land, you only rebel and cause havoc where none is needed, thus ask yourself O vulture, who is the one upon the correct path? Need not decide, my ignominious foe, let the day and night decide between us."

The battle thus began and would last a day, in which the experienced Pashtun and Persiaj soldiers proved dominance over the Khawarij armies of fervent masses. Ammar ibn Yasir was killed in the fighting and the last Khawarij revolt in Sistan was quelled and Ya'qub gained the title of the enemy of Jahil (ignorance). The great victory gave him letters of joy from Musta'in, however he was given no real boost in power, as it was not in line with the Mamluk clique in control. As a result and the reasoning of Ammar ibn Yasir, he resented the Abbasid and sought to claim his own glory and path.

At the same time, a curve was rising in Egypt. The hero of the Bujah revolt, al-Qummi, was amassing support in Egypt amongst the tribes inhabiting the Nile delta and the Bedoiun abound. He began preaching the slanderous ways of the Mamluk and how powerful the duo were in Samarra. Outright saying clearly that the Abbasid was becoming false. The beginnings of revolt where fresh in Egypt, al-Qummi need only wait.

In Zanjan, the Khurramiyah, in 864 flowed out once again, starting the 2nd Khurramite-Abbasid war. This time, the Khurramiyyah sought to conquer Iran and then defend it from the Abbasid forces from the West and thus create a odd Persian state, supposedly after the Sassanid model but in a new epoch as proclaimed from Abdurnarseh, saying:

"The time has come for the divine flames to engulf Eranshah and the time of testing come! Take up arms and let us be the instrument of the ever burning flame, which burns not only above but within every vigilant soul!"

His armies improved, but still massed infantry but with exceptional experience in wars and small scale conflict cut through Abbasid defenses at Qom, then moved south to attack Susa and other ancient territories. Hearing of the war and fresh of his victory against the Khawarij, Ya'qub set off to defeat the Khurramiyah. In Iraq, Musa ibn Bugha was slow to quell the rebellion and preferred to defend his land at home and Bugha the younger preferring to scheme quietly, thus leaving Ya'qub the honors. The war would last till 865 in which Ya'qub defeated Abdurnarseh around modern Shiraz and pursued the Khurramite army into Zanjan and razed the countryside and sterilized the Khurramite potential for years, forcing the village communes to flee into Ganjan, Mazandran, Azerbaijan, etc. Ya'qub thus without a question had become a hero and famed beyond question.

However, in Baghdad a plot was brewing. Bugha al-Saghar planned an assault on Musa ibn Bugha in a joint operation into Armenia to capture slaves. Bugha al-Saghar as planned invited Musa ibn Bugha to a meeting in his palace in Baghdad, while in actuality him and a loyal army moved north toward Samarra. Once in Baghdad, the Assad al-Wathiq spun a trap in which Murji'ah rebels attacked his carriage and killed him outside the palace. The death was immediately blamed on rebels. In Samarra word travelled to slowly for Musta'in (who born into intrigue would know the Mu'Tazila involvement and the death of his patron) and allowing Bugha and his troops entry was convinced to go into his prison areas under his palace in Samarra and was then pushed into a cell with his torture victims and was then killed by those whom he had tortured beforehand. By this point word came in of Musa's death and the Mamluk party under Musa agreed to join up with Bugha and agreed to his demands. In response the Assad al-Wathiq proclaims the new Caliph at Baghdad to be al-Mu'Tazz who has spent his life under the tutelage of the Mu'Tazila and first decree was the increased land rights and support for Mu'Tazila scholars and public funding in Baghdad, increased slave raids and the move from Samarra to Baghdad effective in 866.

The land bewildered at the court intrigue began to boil up in rebellion, soon it will be all too late.

At the same time Ali ibn Muhammad meets with all the people of Kufa learning all he can.

Sorry I didn't get to the Zanj rebellion, but I want to get everything right first and set this up as best I can!

Last edited:
Well things are heating up. I'm trying to follow along with Wikipedia all these new historical characters you are introducing. But there is so little about most of them.

Well things are heating up. I'm trying to follow along with Wikipedia all these new historical characters you are introducing. But there is so little about most of them.

Yea, the majority of characters are only covered in Arabic sources yet to be fully translated or deep in Meadows of Gold.

The reign of al-Mu'Tazz

In the year 866 not even a year into his reign, Mu'Tazz under advise if his master Assad al-Wathiq instituted the Mihna once again and increased the power of the party to not only religious grievances but to those who posed a threat to the state at Baghdad. Thus setup was a vast spy network controlled by the state to root out dissent especially among the Turkish Mamluks, this was a sharp change in policy as of previously. Assad al-Wathiq believed firmly that as long as the power was shared between he and Bugha then the two were safe, but he could not afford any power of Mamluks as was during the times of Bugha al-Kabir and shunned the thought of allying with the Arab tribes. From the start, the reign of Mu'Tazz was in truth the reign of Assad al-Wathiq who was called the shadow Amir within the court and by the populace of Baghdad, despite these claims, Assad did not dispute them, he simply allowed the Mihna to continue to strengthen its hold over the people.

But in the times before, resistance was met. As the scholar Muhammad ibn Isa at-Tirmidih, a famed Ulema residing in Basra refused the callings of the Mihna, he proclaimed clearly:

"Was this not the path of al-Wathiq (the caliph before Muwattikkil) before us, whose impiety attacked that of the most learned and wise? O, Ummah see what it is before you and do not look away for the Ummah is yours and resist and struggle for the cause of Allah. I will speak to the misty one on behalf of the Ummah as any Ulema would do and preach the only way which is Tawheed and reservation for Allah alone."

Tirmidih thus made his journey to Baghdad where he met with the courts of inquisitors, chiefly Assad al-Wathiq. Assad questioned Tirmidih saying:

"Salaam, you style yourself a Muslim and we are aware of your credentials in terms of the areas of learning and we as the whole of the Ummah are grateful of your work. However, even the best amongst us can be tempted and stumble upon a simple step, Allah knows best. Is it true, the comments you have made regarding the Amir and his honorable Khilafah? Further, is it true in regards to the Qu'ran, that you find it to be eternal?"

Tirmidih replied:

"Lie I shall not, yes you are correct I said those issues, perhaps a certain point to your questioning?"

Assad replied:

"Ahh, the point is what you inquire and I thought myself the questioner. As a man of knowledge and discerning, is it not true that the rebellion against the ruler, especially the Amir, is a sin upon which Allah prescribed the harshest of penalty?"

Tirmidih replied:

"You are correct, however, your analysis faulty. The question of the ruler, whether Amir or not, is permissible under the grounds of the religion and all the measures are taken into account. I question the Amir not out of tyranny as this is not an issue, but out of legitimacy which is from Allah, not from the shadows of the corner, his rule is for his creator alone and the rule not as a party issue. Thus in those regards, I do question the noble Amir."

Upon those words, not wishing to entertain him any longer, ordered his execution. Tirmidih was killed in 867 on public display in Baghdad. The crowds mourned the death yet, publicly showed no resentment for fear of the Amir and his army.

At the hearing of the news, Ya'qub al-Safar now a true hero in Iran, at the advise of his advisors began to construct a letter presenting his official separation from the Abbasid throne. This move was further fueled by rebellion against the Abbasid in Uzbek (Tirmidih's homeland), which Ya'qub supported. Thus in late 867, Ya'qub sent a letter to Mu'Tazz of grievances and leaving the Abbasid state, thus birthing the first true non Caliphal Islamic state. Ya'qub's first order was making Persian the official language and began minting coins with his inscription in tiny lettering under "Allahu Akbar". He further, reinforced his military power spreading it to modern day Tehran to modern day Peshawar. Mu'Tazz slow to respond only negotiated with Ya'qub, seeing that the area to the East was troublesome anyways.

In Egypt however, al-Qummi and an alliance of other tribes revolted in 867 hoping to form an independent state from the Abbasid. The conflict became known as the Qummayd revolt. Al-Qummi quickly surrounded and took Fustat and onwards marched towards al-Quds, his plan to match to Baghdad and force his issue. This was however not to be as Qummi was defeated at the battle of al-Tawani by Abu al-Saj.

Abu al-Saj preceded to invade Sinai where he retook the majority of the desert and assaulted Fustat, before falling back after a return attack from al-Qummi. In early 868, joining in the assault general Ahmad ibn Lathawayh captured Fustat while Abu al-Saj battled al-Qummi around Giza. In Giza, al-Qummi bested al-Saj and rode forth to Fustat where he was forced to flee south.

Al-Qummi fled to modern day Sudan with his supporters and was not pursued by the Abbasid armies. There he conquered the city of Dunqula and allied with many of the tribes in the region. He formed a state to the south in Sudan which would become the Sultanate of Dunqula, with al-Qummi as its first ruler, from there he launched light raids into Egypt and major slave raids into Ethiopia and Alodia in search of slaves to then be sold across the Sahara.

While the nobility bickered and warred over title and rank, rebellion was brewing and Ali ibn Muhammad ( we will call him Dibaj, the handsome) began his questioning and seeking in Iraq. In the city of Kufa he began speaking with the Shi'i about the late Yahya, despite their agreement on issues, the Shi'i refused to acknowledge Dibaj as anything more than a tribesman. Because of the rejection both in Awal and now in Kufa, Dibaj finally realized that his hopes of rebelling as a Shi'i Mahdi would not come to pass and it was time to seek a new venue for revolt better suited to his lack of fame.

Thus Dibaj began frequenting the areas of low status in Kufa and Najaf speaking to Bedoiun who began telling him of how the regime was restricting their movement based not on the Quran and for their lowly status. The Bedoiun however directed him to other parts of Najaf known for more radical thought. The leading was to the various areas of Khawarij influence, and Dibaj began sharing thoughts on Islam with them, feeling out their Aqeedah, they began speaking of the suffering of the Muslim under the throne of tyranny and illegitimacy and cited Yahya ibn Umar and Tirmidih as examples of such misconduct. Prominent among them was Ali ibn Adnan al-Muhallabi, who inquired of Dibaj, saying:

"O stranger, you come amongst us, for what reasons? What is your view on the Haakimiyyah of Allah?"

Dibaj replied

"The Hukm (ruling) is for Allah alone, reason is only a side issue when it come to the clear and evident. Any who stray from the direct rule due to Allah (Haakimiyyah), then verily he is disbelieving and is upon clear falsehood and his orders are not to be followed lest with benefit for a long term gain (Kitman). In regards to my being amongst you, it is to meet Muslim who are upon the truth and straight ways and to inquire in the clearest of tones the zeitgeist of the people."

Muhallabi replied:

" Hmm, then providence brings us together. Verily, the people are suffering and the Shurha (the sellers of Earth for Heaven) have watched as all should upon the injustice wrought by the dishonorable seated in Baghdad and the corruptl Turk upon his horse. They laugh and scoff at the common and kick us back into the dust, not knowing if our spirit and the stock that we are born of, which never takes a shame without returning the same measure. The Shurha have remained silent for years waiting for the appropriate time, we have seen especially the heart break in Sawad where Zanj toil with plow and get no reward and despite piety are stripped of their manhood by an impious master. It is there that suffering is felt greatest and the toil harshest, there is where one might inquire to discover the suffering to which the Ummah is subjected, there and here and all over except in the houses of ignorance in Baghdad and the heinous seat called a throne."

In response Dibaj took the advice and travelled to the Sawad and into the marshes to speak with the Zanj.

In the marshes of the Sawad the Abbasid masters subjected the people to unbearable work, with no pay and rest. Death was frequent as the supply was constant as war from Ethiopia, trade from Swahili and Sudan was constant. Men where often castrated so to limit fertility and women where used as house maids in the houses. The marshes in which the worked, the Zanj only knew the toil of the day and the harsh embrace of the whip and the cruel shackles of perpetual chains. But into the hot sun turned night and a new sight appeared gleaming in fine robes and a black turban, coming to inquire upon then their conditions. They related to the mysterious man all that had befallen them and the suffering of their life and the tremendous pain of being subjugated, they also clearly showed their lack of acceptable clothing only wearing a tough loincloth and chains at their feet and at times their rists, wearing no turban as the masters believed that due to their dark skin that they were immune to the hot beams of Iraq.

Dibaj then after realizing the suffering and the fanatical support base of the Khawarij, began to switche minds to a rebellion of the Khawarij recalling the days of the Fitna and the Berber revolt and the massed revolt of the oppressed, visions of the future stood before him as he fantasizes the coming victory. Though, deep inside he realized that his dream of being the Mahdi and thus a divine being as Yahya became, was near impossible under the banner of the Khawarij, yet still he knowing the ideology at hand knew what cards to play in order to get support. This his first saying to the Zanj with several Khawarij initiates with him:

"The shackles of slavery are but a temporal punishment and verily only made of steel and iron. The soul is made from fire which none save Allah can hold. The boldness of the heart in the line of struggle is the true master for the Muslim is always above the Kafr, in the same you are above the Abbasid masters who claim to be lords. But know, that Allah alone can rule and it is his time and his alone, any amongst you are equal before him except by the piety given to the Lord. Therefore in spirit resent and shame your masters knowing that your Lord is with you, cease being servile to men but be only servile to the creator and his all encompassing law. Rise, for the door is open at all times to the house of belief and the Istaraaj is clear, the Muslim are at times subject, yet never shamed for the shame is forever upon the Kafr and the belief alone gives nobility to even the most lowly birthed.

In response the Zanj routed in agreement, proclaiming Allahu Akbar all into the night.

Then at a larger masjid, with Bedoiun and the bulk of Khawarij inside listening and the Zanj all over being the vast, vast majority listened attently to the immediate speech by Dibaj. With Muhallabi in attendance, Dibaj lightly said:

"God is great. The worship is due only for him and God is great. There is NO arbitrator except God and his law is his alone (the call of the Khawarij at the battle of Siffin). In regards to the false masters, I shun and say; She is belittling us because we are few, so I told her that the dignitaries are always few. Don't under estimate our small number, for we are young and look up high towards nobility. It matters not if we are few. We have dear neighbors unlike dishonorable. We look forward to death and fear it not, whilst they spend their life fearing death. We fight only those who deserve to be fought. We never shut the door in front of anyone and none can shame us on the battle. O, Arabs know that your honor came only through Islam and that honor is due for the whole world and thus the Ethiopian slave is the equal of the Arab in all rights and manners under the cause and glory of Allah! Before Islam you were but raiders and herders of goats only knowing the honor of a noble death and the loyalty of security, but with Islam one is elevated. So I speak to thy brothers of the Sawad, before Islam you were slaves serving in truth a master not the creator, but with Islam you are brought up high and into the divine will of the creator, slaves of the almighty in equality with all. Then let us speak of the fallen, those upon the path of Allah slain for the bloodthirsty heathen which sits cowardly, I am speaking of the martyr Yahya ibn Umar, who took to the desert and took the message of truth to all corners singing without shame the greatness of his maker, verily we shall fulfill his wish! Them look upon the example set by the messengers, they went around the world and sought danger in the desert of as proof of the rule of Allah, and we as lions are shamed by this unjust state which adds its name to those whose names are different, what state is this which adds to the Ummah that which it needs not!? But know, that as I said before, you and we are lions before the Kafr and let it be heard to Baghdad and to Constantinople of our struggle, thus rise, rise to for the will of Allah binds you!

Say indeed, I am upon clear evidence from my Lord and you have denied it. I lack that which you are impatient. The decision is only for Allah. He relates the truth, and He is the best of the deciders.(Quran 6:57)"

Thus in one saying at a Masjid, the Zanj rebellion began...

Next chapter we get to see the Zanj in action.

Last edited:
With Saffar rising in power and the Zanj stirring, it seems that the Abbasids are in a dangerous position. Since the premise seems to be a more successful Zanj rebellion, this will bode very poorly for the Abbasids and their Mu'tazila puppet masters in the short term.

However, if the Zanj want any permanent success they'll need to broaden their appeal and get more than just slaves on their side, I expect. Otherwise it will be too easy for the Arabs to appeal to the ethnocentrism of their countrymen and defeat the Zanj through sheer numbers, especially if they have Turkic help.