The Exiles- an Alternate Byzantine history

Why don't they try to get settlers from Greece itself?Pretty sure right now there would be a pretty large exodus from Greece itself,which IOTL helped spurr the renaissance.

Why don't they try to get settlers from Greece itself?Pretty sure right now there would be a pretty large exodus from Greece itself,which IOTL helped spurr the renaissance.
Most of the Greek refugees dispersed themselves amongst the nations of Europe. Those who made it to Iberia make up the majority of settlers going to the Rhomaian Empire. But, the Basileus and his succcesers have plans to save the Greeks that will ultimately culminate in the "Great War of Reconquest"

Most of the Greek refugees dispersed themselves amongst the nations of Europe. Those who made it to Iberia make up the majority of settlers going to the Rhomaian Empire. But, the Basileus and his succcesers have plans to save the Greeks that will ultimately culminate in the "Great War of Reconquest"
I don't see that happening in any plausible manner except with 19th century level technology at the minimum.

Map 1480
The next update will come in a few days.
But for the moment, here is a map of North Palaiogia in 1480!

Map1480(THE_EXILES).JPG

I have some difficulty believing that the Romans can settle North America so quickly.Note:much of North America in the map you have took decades and even a full century to settle.That's with the help of a fully functional homeland.

I have some difficulty believing that the Romans can settle North America so quickly.Note:much of North America in the map you have took decades and even a full century to settle.That's with the help of a fully functional homeland.
The map is simply each nations claimed land or sphere of influence. There is simply no way that all of that is settled.

By the way,how exactly are the Romans dealing with the fact that most of their citizens are non-Greek Catholics?
At the moment there is a policy of tolerance in the Empire, on the basis of manpower needs. However, there might be a future Basileus who begins policy's of discrimination and reprisal against the Catholics in the Empire, and maybe leading to a revolution ;)

At the moment there is a policy of tolerance in the Empire, on the basis of manpower needs. However, there might be a future Basileus who begins policy's of discrimination and reprisal against the Catholics in the Empire, and maybe leading to a revolution ;)
What's the percentage of the Catholic population?From what you've written they seem like 90% of the population.

What's the percentage of the Catholic population?From what you've written they seem like 90% of the population.
Catholics make up around 70% of the population, as most of the initial settlers that came after the establishment of the line trade were Eastern Orthodox Greek refugees who had fled Greece after the fall of the ERE

Catholics make up around 70% of the population, as most of the initial settlers that came after the establishment of the line trade were Eastern Orthodox Greek refugees who had fled Greece after the fall of the ERE
Oh fuck!How the heck are the emperors even supposed to try and discriminate against the supermajority subsequently?The empire should try and smuggle Greeks out of the Ottoman Empire and recruit some Russian settlers.The demographics aren't good even if the empire doesn't try to discriminate the Catholics.

Oh fuck!How the heck are the Basileus even supposed to discriminate against the supermajority?The empire should try and smuggle Greeks out of the Ottoman Empire and recruit some Russian settlers.

Yeah, I can't see how the Rhomans could even begin to consider discriminating against them, short of instituting a Citizenry system like the old Empire. I mean, that could be a good way to integrate these communities, and parcel out land on the frontier. I fear however, that even if the Rhoman community is half of the recruits, that the largely Catholic remainder are going to be a problem, perhaps even breaking some elements of the system.

I recommend a citizenry system based on military service is introduced fast, with land as payments and an exemption tax paid for non-citizens.

The best plan IMO - if the army teaches orders in Greek, and basic literacy isn't unusual, then that propagates Greek as the common language. If then Bibles are in Greek (either translations of Catholic ones, or Orthodox ones), the people may well decide to have a mini-reformation in favour of the Greek and Open Church, rather than the Latin and Closed church.

1480-1505 “War”
Sorry guys for the wait but i was in a car accident and so was hospitalised for several weeks.
However, Im out of hospital now so heres the next update!:extremelyhappy:

1480-1505 “War”

In 1484, a formal alliance was formed between France and Rhomaia. The Franco-Rhomaian Alliance was directed against the growing maritime and colonial power of England and would prove a decisive factor in the War for New England.

The Rhomaians continued their exploration and expansion inland, settling the city of Anacrilon in OTL Kansas City, while the Portuguese formally established their colony of New Portugal, with outposts along the coast at OTL Rio Grande du Norte. The Castillians also continued their exploration, reaching OTL Buenos Aries in 1490.

Meanwhile, tensions began to rise again in the Balkans. The Padishah Mehmet III had annexed the Principality of Moldavia in 1489 and was pressuring the Hungarians to cede Transylvania to the Ottoman Empire. Afraid of the growing power of the Ottomans, the Hungarians agreed to cede minor border lands in Carpathian Ruthenia and Croatia to Poland and Austria in return for a defensive alliance against the Ottomans. This alliance would be known as the Second anti-Ottoman League, but would not deter the Ottomans from invading Hungary in 1504.

Justinian I began expanding the Rhomaian navy to counter the growing maritime power of England. The Basileus personally commissioned the ship Rhomaia, a vessel that featured a prominent forecastle and twelve cannon, six on either side of the vessel. The Rhomaian navy would go on to boast sixteen of these ships, as well as several cavarels and galleys, bringing the Rhomaian navy to 60 ships at the outbreak of war in 1505.

The Patriarchal States began enslaving the native Meso-Palaiologians, using them to construct cathedrals and monuments across their nation. Western-Orthodox architecture began to develop a unique and distinct appearance, consisting of a blend of gothic and classical influences. Patriarchal influences would spread to the Rhomaian Empire and eventually spread to the Old World.

In 1504, Padishah Mehmet III died and was succeeded by Selim I. Selim I was even more expansionistic than Mehmet III and invaded Hungary in May that year, leading 130,000 men into Hungary, The Hungarian Army met the Ottoman army at Pecs and was completely routed. Selim I would go on to lay siege to Buda and all would seem lost for the Hungarians. However, a combined Polish-Austrian relief force would lay the siegers under siege and the Battle of Buda ended in complete defeat for the Ottomans, their forces surrendering after the death of Selim I.

On the other side of the Atlantic, the Empire of Rhomaia invaded New England in 1505. France, honouring their alliance, also declared war on the English. The Rhomaian Navy, having crossed the atlantic several months before, had linked up with the French Navy and moved up into the English Channel. The combined Rhomaian and French fleet stumbled upon the English Navy and annhihlated the English at the Battle of Ushant in May 1505. New England fell to Rhomaia in June, and a French Army of 10,000 crossed the channel. Despite attempts to destroy the French in the Second Battle of Hastings, the English were forced to accept peace with the Rhomaians and French. The Treaty of Calais in September 1505, gave New England to Rhomaia, gave Calais and Cornwall to France, and forced the English to accept the independence of Dublin, Scotland and Wales. The English was invaded by Scotland the next month and was forced to cede Northumberland to the Scots. The English never recovered from this defeat and England slipped into decadence.

In the Balkans, the Hungarians pushed back annexing Wallachia and Bosnia, while Poland annexed Moldavia and Austria annexed Albania. The Ottoman Empire desended into civil war as Selim I had not named a successor. The Ottoman Civil War would go on until the dynasty Mustaph seized power under Padishah Suleyman I.

Last edited: