The Crying Man, The Messiah and God. A longer lived Genghis Khan

burkhan.khaldun.01.jpg

Part 1 – Bitter and Alone

The old man stumbled slowly up the mountain, stumbling with each step in a way that his younger self could never have imagined. Few would dare advice against him doing so, yet all below held such council in their hearts. He did not begrudge them this. In truth, he knew that it was foolhardy, and yet he was perhaps beyond caring what could happen to him. If this was his last time journeying up his childhood friend, nothing was going to stop him.

Reaching his most sacred site, he knelt down, looked to the eternal blue sky and wept. He needed not chant, or speak directly to the mountain. For he was known to all the world, and far less sacred lands had born witness to his great sorrows.

What cursed a man am I to lose all my sons so?

He finally stopped weeping. Not for lack of feeling, but only because he had offered all his water to the holy mountain. His last and true companion.

The wind rustled through the lower trees and he felt the soothing presence of the father above. It helped calm his thoughts.

Four heirs had he produced. His two eldest had a fire perhaps greater than his own, though neither was intended his primary heir. His eldest son was perhaps the most skilled warrior of his brood, yet had also died the earliest. He had held a feud with his eldest that had never healed before the end. The grief was such that the old man had almost died due to a lack of focus in a fight against the Xia. Perhaps it would have been a kinder fate…

His second eldest also held a great fire, being a great conqueror in his own right. After the death of his third son, the second eldest was also meant to be his heir before his life too was stolen too soon.

The third son was his first heir. Although he did not hold the fire of the first two, he perhaps understood a secret truth that the old man too had understood. That war meant nothing without good administration, that conquest meant nothing without the balanced peace. But as full of wisdom as his first heir was, he was weaker than the rest in the cause of his doom. Although his fourth son had sacrificed himself to save him, his first heir drank himself to death and threw his life away. The old man never drank again after that, and few would drink around him outside of ritual cause.

Finally his fourth son. Perhaps the noblest of his sons, he had also produced the most grandchildren. If only he had not given his life to save his worthless heir… but such thoughts were not worth having.

The official reason for his ascending the mountain was to choose his heir. Though thinking on his fate, to outlive all of his sons with such clarity brought him to rage. He raged even against the sky and the mountain.

“What cause have you for sending such pain to one such as myself?” he spoke defiantly to the sky, shaking his fist with a vigour reminiscent of his prime.

“I who brought peace in your lands. I who brought the tribes together. I who bowed to thee, and held your words in the face of a thousand paths.”

Swept up in anger, he began to raise his voice and yell in a manner impressive for a man of 85.

“I who brought low my blood brother for the sake of harmony, I the master of the world! What cause have you to bring so much yet to take so much away?”

The old man listened. For the first time, he felt a lack of presence from his old friend. The wind had calmed down and he felt alone. He sat still for a while. His rage left him, being replaced by another wave of sadness and guilt for disrespecting his holy father. He continued in this pattern until the moon had fallen below the earth, and the sun was soon to rise.

BAAAAAAW*

The old man turned around with shock, the early morning light giving his tired old eyes just enough vision to see. Above him in the sky he beheld a great golden eagle. It was diving rapidly from the nearest peak, a small black silhouette falling down with it, directly above his head.

What turned out to be an egg, crashed onto the old man’s hat, the yolk dropping down slowly in front of his sight. The sun rose up from the distant mountain peaks, the yolk filled with light as he watched the great eagle fly away, the calamity that had previously stirred him so being no longer visible in the behaviour of the bird.

In earlier years, he would have consulted a shaman to interpret this sign from the heavens. Yet he was now the eldest and most wise of the shaman to survive beneath the eternal blue sky. In meditation, he reflected upon the bird. What noble a creature, to lose its child and move on with grace, climbing to the heaven.

Perhaps he had spent too much time amongst the cattle people, but he was reminded of the southern peoples. In particular, he was reminded of a rumour amongst the common people that he was the descendent of Keturah, bride to Abraham, chosen amongst all who lived in those ancient days to be God’s prophet. In this story, the great Abraham had given his only son to die, returning down to the people with the news that God had chosen not to take the son… that it was a test.

What if there was no test? What if they were wrong?

Genghis Khan had much to think about.

Last edited:
So after much deliberation, I decided to make more of a go at this and move away from Vignette territory (may need to get the mods to change the title if possible?). I wasn't too happy with the latter half of the originally intended Vignette being an info-dump, and felt that without some of the context of my notes that there were ASB elements.

That being said, I don't intend to write this is a history book. Much of this will be through in universe texts. In particular, I am interested in exploring this POD through a religious lens and have worked through creating some religious texts of the 2 major faiths that come about as a result of this POD.

For anyone who did not see it earlier, for context this is a world in which Genghis Khan lives to the ripe old age of 85, outliving all of his children. In this tl, much of the existential issues that were surrounding the mongol identity are answered in different ways than OTL, particularly amongst those in the western part of the Mongol Empire (in this TL, very different borders due to different conquest avenues that will be discussed later) and greater time for the legend that he was a descendant of Keturah to become memetic.

That being said, here is part 2.

The Holy Kadag - Introduction and Chapter 1: The way of Blue Dust
Translated by Arthur Harrington
Translaters Note and introductio:
Those unfamiliar with the nature of Namhkhaism may find the passages in the Holy Kadag to be unusual in structure, often interrupting itself or conflicting with the current flow. It is easy to assume at first glance that this is merely due to the nature of translation; in any translation, it is important to consider that words carry with them a window into a different worldview, words may have no direct conceptual translation or sentences no direct comparitive underpinning.

Whilst this is certainly true, it is not the whole case.

The Holy Kadag is unique in borrowing from it's Tibetan-Mongolian heritage and embodies Namkhaic philosophy as much as it does the shared histories of these two great peoples.
Embedded in both cultures is the unique polyphonic technique of "Throat Singing". Just as Namkhaic philosophy is bound to a duality that pervades the world, so too is throat singing a harmony of notes that when put together create a polyphonic note that transcends the two, the very voice of Tengri-Allah if the Namkhaic monks are to be beleived.
As such, the astute reader will recognise that both sets of verses are to be read (and ideally sung) simultaneously, often divorced in meaning but combining in such a way to give transcendant meaning to eachother.
For the readers sake, I have emphasised the verses in a way I beleive best communicates the tantric sense of Tengri-Allah possessing the speaker through their words. Red reflects the temporal verses, often telling a story or parable in a way common to most religions. Blue reflects the transcendant verses, those that are meant to make the listener feel the true meaning of the text.

The way of Blue Dust, or the "Blue Dust Sutra" as a chapter presumes that the reader understands some of the background knowledge behind Namkhaic theology, or that the reader will feel the teachings through Tengri-Allah's presence in the atmosphere created by a proper reading of the text.
As this is a translation and in written form, I shall give background information before each Sutra to explain where Namkhaic theology differs from it's Abrahamic bretheren.

For the Blue Dust Sutra, it is important to understand 3 core principles in this regard.

1) Abraham and the covenant.
Where the other Abrahamic faiths look upon Abraham in an entirely favourable fashion, Namkhaism regards him in a flawed fashion. Where other religions celebrate the mercy of God in his testing of Abraham in the binding of Isaac, Namkhaism views this account of events to be a pervading lie that has caused considerable suffering in the world. The covenant therefore is seen as misunderstood, the lands promised to the Israelites being a curse involving endless inner conflict rather than the peace of liberation promised to Isaac and spared of his descendants.

2) Death and the world.
In a move perhaps ironic for a religion founded in the worlds largest historical empire, Nahmkaism regards the world as a place of suffering. Drawing clearly from Vajrayana buddhist influences, Namkhaism looks upon the struggles of Abraham and his descendants as gods trials for his misunderstanding, both in Abraham's own life and his next. With this in mind, it is important to realise that Namkhaism beleives unapolagetically in rebirth and that the descendants of Abraham have had liberation from this world of death denied to them by his not truly hearing the word of God. As such, liberation was in the Namkhaist viewpoint impossible untill Abraham could return to negate his own Karma in the form of the Mahdi-Maitreya, a concept that draws from traditionall eschatalogical readings of Islam and Buddhism.

3) Mahdi-Maitreya and his sons.
In the received words of the Namkhaist faith, Genghis Khan was seen as the fulfillment of all the worlds Messiahs and was the reborn form of Abraham through his line. It is seen traditionally that he gave all four of his sons to end the cycle of death with Tengri-Allah and begin the path of liberation, a concept which has caused great offence to many in the islamic world due to the suffering that his descendants Hulagu and Berke inflicted on their people.

Without further ado, I present to you the opening passage of The Holy Kadag.

Those who do not bow to the will of Tengrii-Allah shall find their efforts, dust.

Salutation! Supreme Abundance!

And those for whom the way of the way of the Mahdi-Maitreya is the way of their heart – the way of truth – will find in bliss the realm of the unconditioned

Homage to the Transcendent Victorious Tengrii-Allah

Yours is the voice of Abraham, fulfilled in the way.

Transcend body, speech and mind.

There are those who listen with but half closed ears. They are like the worms that claim to know the sky.

In all things are duality, all is conditioned but the unconditioned.

Even he with the ear of Tengrii-Allah closed his mind, and was bound to the dirt, to resurface like the worm of the earth.

Compassionate Mahdi-Maitreya, guide us as we follow in your footsteps.

But Tengrii-Allah was merciful and held to his covenant with Abraham.

Protect us from this world of death

As all is ephemeral, he returned to the world, the worm to the horse of the winds. The liberator of their covenant.

Protect us from this conditioned hell

And he gave fourfold, that all could hear the unconditioned in the wind.

Praise be, Tengri-Allah!

And in our hearts do we become thee.

Praise be, Tengri-Allah!

And give our bodies to thee, that you may remove duality.

Praise be, the unconditioned!

Last edited:
Part 3
jose-patricio-aguirre-kalki4low.jpg

“I am mad with love
And no one understands my plight.
Only the wounded
Understand the agonies of the wounded,
When the fire rages in the heart.
Only the jeweller knows the value of the jewel,
Not the one who lets it go.
In pain I wander from door to door,
But could not find a doctor.
Says Mira: Harken, my Master,
Mira's pain will subside
When Shyam comes as the doctor..”
– Queen Renunciate Meera Bai

Berke opened his eyes in the great city of Bukhara. The city was magnificent, bustling with trades and spices that boasted the glory of his Grandfather’s empire. Despite the pride in his grandfather’s legacy, Berke could not help but feel a sense of unease. The market place was full… trade was plentiful. There were no inherent threats, and yet Berke could not shake the feeling that something was fundamentally… off.

“You look troubled brother”.

Berke shaded his eyes with his hand and looked in the direction of the voice. It was his brother, Batu astride his horse.

“Are you ok Berke?” said Batu, his form being much clearer, adding detail which disturbed Berke greatly. But why? He was his brother’s keeper, and often the two were by each other’s side. Berke became aware of his lack of response and stood up from his carpet.

“Yes my Khan, I… suppose I was dosing”.

“No wonder you would sleep the day away when you are sitting directly in such a harsh sun. Come, explore my markets. Sample what the men of cattle have to offer.”

“Yes my Khan.”

Berke arose and walked directly into the market. He felt a great affinity for this place, brushing his hand across the glorious pillars and embracing smells of a thousand spices unknown to him in his younger years. He stopped outside a store with a particularly inviting smell of incense and considered acquiring some for his tent.

His thoughts trailed off as he heard sung in the distance the prayer of these peoples religion. The merchant behind the stall bent down, just as many around him did, leaving Berke standing alone in the market as singing continued.

For all the might of my family, never have we held such a power over men’s souls Berke thought to himself.

He studied the man carefully and, were he not mad, he would swear he could see a golden aura around the man. Berke felt exhilarated, like he was about to fall, but willingly. He felt like something in his life had been missing for years, and was finally about to be revealed to him.

Berke opened his mouth to speak to the merchant. He quickly closed it.

Batu should not be here.

He turned round with a panic.

Why would the Khagan be here in Bhukara? Why am I in Bhukara?

He looked behind him and found the market place empty. The sun was going behind the clouds, an silence pervaded Bhukara.

Berke felt cold.

When Khan Berke opened his eyes, he lurched forward with a jolt, dizzy with the fear of his dream. Although his attendants were at first disconcerted with his unusual quietness, it did not take overly long for him to calm down and rationalise his dreams.

Why would I dream of the Khagan being a mere Khan? And in Bhukara of all places?

Berke began to chuckle to himself, further confusing his attendants.

And yet, a new disquiet returned to Berke. Whilst he could dismiss the oddness of the dream, he could not help but remember the ice cold feeling, he could not help but remember that something fundamentally felt missing in his life.

He stepped out of his tent to clear his head. It had not been long since Berke had assumed the title of Khan over the Saffron Horde, a play on words concocted by many of the merchants who had taken advantage of the desirable colour that Saffron gave the Khan’s tents. He was performing a tour of his lands, sampling the wares and trying to discover why his grandfather had pushed for his brother Batu to conquer these lands so many years ago. Like his brother, Berke had desired to bring war to the Rus, and plunder the lands beyond, a desire which had seemingly escaped his esteemed grandfather. This time he had stopped in the land of Utkala, taking a break in a small village by a river to let the horses drink from the stream.

Batu remembered his grandfather, and the cold returned. It had only been 1 year since his grandfather’s death and nobody truly could take his place. Even Batu, as glorious as he is, was but dust compared to the mighty storm that was Genghis Khan. Whatever the source of this feeling, in truth he had held it back for years, and the overwhelming personality of his grandfather had been a part of it. To be in his presence was like hearing the words of Tengrii himself.

Batu’s thoughts were interrupted as by the river he heard beautiful singing. He could not understand a word of it, but there was something fundamentally soothing about the voice he heard and the coldness subside. Like his dream, he found himself entranced by a new exhilaration, a new leap into the endless sky.

He called for his translators and marched to the source, finding a thin, wizened old man in a loin cloth seemingly singing into the sky with closed eyes. Batu consulted his translator and began to converse with the man.

“I am Batu, Khan of all the lands beneath the Himalayas. What is your name?”

The man opened his eyes and with benevolence looked directly into the eyes of Batu.

“My name is Jayadeva.”

You had my interest, bow you have my attention.

Religion gets far too little color and power from Alt-history authors, especially considering how foundational it was to the world view of the period. It's not enough to write what happened, but to think how the people form the time would react to such happenings and interpret them according to their worldviews- that is the mark of a good thread.

Religion gets far too little color and power from Alt-history authors, especially considering how foundational it was to the world view of the period. It's not enough to write what happened, but to think how the people form the time would react to such happenings and interpret them according to their worldviews- that is the mark of a good thread.

The one I remember doing that best was that one Atenist Egypt TL.

Part 4 – “Better to reign in Samsara, than to serve in emptiness”

maxresdefault.jpg

“We all want to live. And in large part we make our logic according to what we like. But not having attained our aim and continuing to live is cowardice. This is a thin dangerous line. To die without gaining one's aim is a dog's death and fanaticism. But there is no shame in this. This is the substance of the Namkhayoga. If by setting one's heart right every morning and evening, one is able to live as though his body were already dead, he gains freedom in the Way. His whole life will be without blame, and he will be free from The Worm.” – Yamamoto Tsunetomo, last SunNamkha patriarch of Kyushu.

Modern day – National Geographic

Taking a look at the Gobi Desert.

Imagine with your mind’s eye a desert stretching 1500Km. Imagine a cold day in this desert, reaching a still scorching 37°C. It’s mid-day, and in the heat of the sun you decide to relax. You pitch a tent by the warm dunes, grab a drink and snooze beneath the shade feeling the heat in your very bones. Hours later you awake, finding yourself in an utterly alien environment. Where mere hours before you had been enjoying a desert reminiscent of the Sahara, suddenly you find yourself in an Arctic winter Hell, an icy wind from the north causing a mad dash for survival.

What may sound like an alien environment is actually the terrifying wonder of the Gobi Desert, a land known for harsh extremes. A land that to this day forges hardy life, from Gobi Bear all the way to the Nomadic humans who hunt them, maintaining a traditional way of life going beyond the existence of the Mongol people.

On the other hand, it’s striking contrast between dunes of Ice and Sand have in part made it a metaphor for what we may call Hell in Asian countries. Some even believe, it is the home of the Devil.

We talk with Tenzin Gyatso, famous sci-fi author and neuroscientist to see why. Tenzin is famous for his studies into religious experience in relation to the brain and is well known for combining science-fiction and religion in his books to explore modern day politics. As an advocate of global peace, ecological harmony and interfaith dialogue; it is not hard to see why this bespectacled, loose clothing and smile wearing man has an aura of respect close to many religious and political leaders.

NG: We are glad to have you here, Tenzin Gyato

T: *Nods with a smile

Ng: Our readers would like to know more about the Gobi Desert from a cultural standpoint. Why has the world’s 5th largest desert captured the minds of so many?

T: I think it would be surprising if the Gobi was not in so many hearts. It is a land of extremes, where to this day any man or woman can find adventure. It is easy to day to sit in a comfy chair in our comfy cities and think “this is it, this is normal. This is life”. Go to the Gobi, and you may find that you had never lived before.

Ng: Is this… heroic look on life in the Gobi what inspired you to write Arbuda?

T: *chuckles with warmth

T: Yes and no. Arbuda is an old Buddhist hell realm that is known for its cold and frozen plains. The story borrows more from Buddhist philosophy, but uses the later Namkhayoga for its settings. Although gamers love the “noble savage” look at the people in my novels, more often than not I am trying to show that even with the most noble of lives, we cannot fully act on human heartedness without sharing our nobility with the world.

More than myself, the Gobi like no other environment on earth has captured the hearts of fellow writers in Central and East Asia. It is on one hand an eternal monument to the origins of the Namkhayoga; with later additions to the Holy Kadag referencing the hunting Journeys of Mahdi-Maitreya, Patriarch Kublai, Drogon Chogyal Phagpa and Mahmud Yalavach and the many talks they shared on life, love and everything in between. Truly, love is at the heart of ecology, and should not be spread throughout the world.

Ng: And what about the Worm? Whilst certainly iconic in your own novel, it is my understanding that by many in Central and East Asia that the Worm is equivalent to the Devil in Christianity, or Shaitan in Islam. Is this truly the case?

T: Ah, The Worm. It may surprise many who both practice and do not the Namkhayoga, that the worm as we know it today is a later invention. The early versions of The Holy Kadag mention worms as an embodiment of being bound to this world, but it is only later that it is given the place of the devil. I understand that your Christianity has a similar history with the serpent and the devil too.

When the Namkhayoga began to spread, many of it’s visions of hell and the worm iconography as a link to Samsara had a natural link to the Gobi. Tibetan Buddhist hell realms were often divided into realms of extreme heat or extreme cold with powerful winds. The Gobi. Mongolian myth believed in a great red worm that burrowed out from the ground and prayed on the innocent that lived in of course, the Gobi. Even Madhi Maitreya in his conversations in the Gobi warns his companions of “the devil in the dunes”, but this may have been a later alteration to adapt to the people of Sogdia. One name for it was the Olgoi-Khorkhoi due to it’s red appearance.

Ng: What does that translate to?

T: Large Intestine Worm. Watch enough sky burials and you will understand why.

Ng: No thanks. So, why include the devil in your work?

T: The Worm is important to Arbuda for multiple reasons. As anyone who has read it will know, The Worms of Arduba are the source of Milk, a fuel source which allows easy FTL travel, but at the cost of major exploitation of the people and the planet. Like today, people in my book fight over the Milk at the cost of the planet and their humanity in a way that becomes increasingly destructive. The Worm is a metaphor for how we are giving in to and are dependent on the devil, whatever your point of view, when we give in to violence against each other and the Earth. The native humans of the planet have however learned to live with the devil, reflecting the Asian philosophy that the only difference between heaven and hell is perspective.

The Gobi itself is a far greater teacher of this message than I however. As we pollute the world, in luxury and war, we must pay attention to the desertification of the areas surrounding the Gobi at an alarming rate. What is currently the 5th largest desert in the world may one day encompass it. The Gobi shows us hell, but also the way to heaven.

Apologies for this one being so grim. There is no positive way to cover this tbh.

Part 5 – The Beast from the East: The foundations of Armageddon

burning-castle.jpg

“I am the punishment of God. If you had not commited great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”
– Genghis Khan

Bruised and broken, the boy was dragged by rope through the gates of the city, his legs no longer working.

They will never work again he thought to himself.

The boy did not fully know where he was being brought to. He kept his eyes closed, he could not bear to open them. He dared not breath through his mouth or nostrils for extended breaths, for the burning flesh offended them both. He could not however stop listening as the screams pervaded even into the small corner of his mind to which he retreated. Even his skin recoiled with the searing heat that seemed to pervade him.

The only blessing the lord had provided him was the inability to feel his legs; the soldiers who had arrested him had acted less than kindly to his attempts to flee. After an intense pain to his spine, he had temporarily blacked out, being spared briefly into the quiet of oblivion. Unlike his usual sleep however, the boy had woken into a nightmare beyond his wildest dreams.

The screams were dying down and the boy started to feel the cold of the night sky.

“Open your eyes!”

The boy refused, closing his eyes even harder with the strength that remained to him. Pain shocked through his system as his young face received a harsh strike from the back of a hand.

“I said, open your eyes boy!”

The boy opened his eyes, and found himself outside a vast array of foreign tents. Arrayed beside him were other nobles, men women and children in a row. A few priests too. Many looked far worse for wear than himself. The line of the damned was displayed in front of a vast procession of the foreign devils who had sacked his home, had sacked Acre. In the center was great stack of wood, strange men in orange robes and a dead body.

For all the number there, there was an extreme silence that pervaded the display, with only the faint screams from the horizon ruining the peace.

On horseback came what was clearly a king of these people. Perhaps the king of all the known world. He rode back and forth, inspecting his prisoners and his army whilst shouting in his awful strange tongue.

“Can you write boy?”

Somehow in the face of all that he could see before him, the boy had forgotten about his abuser.

“Yes” he replied timidly.

“Good.”

The shouting of the foreign lord came to an end as he dismounted his horse. He signalled to the men behind the line of prisoners, who brought out the aristocratic prisoners in out into the assembly.

“I, am Hulagu Khan!” he shouted. “When we marched against the HuiHui, we sent envoys to you seeking for reinforcements.

Your Pope denied this, and you sent only excuses.

Though we liberated your lands from the HuiHui, your Pope denied this, and you sent only your excuses.

Surely you have heard from both high and low what has befallen the world and its inhabitants from the time of Chinnggis Khan up to now, and what humiliation was visited upon great houses such as the Khvarazmshashs, the Saljuqs, the kings of Daylam, the Atabaks, and others through the power of the Everlasting Eternal God.

Without your help, we too brought low the Mamluks. And yet because of your sins, your rightful Khan lies dead. Because of your sins, I bring a terrible wrath from god onto your very souls.”

The noble men were further bound by the Ilkhanate soldiers and wrapped into carpets. The boy had heard rumours of this, but when the stamping of hooved began he could only turn his head away.

“If you want to live boy, you will keep watching.” Said his abuser.

Hulagu Khan signalled again to the soldiers who this time brought the priests to the foray.

“As his life was forfeit, it is necessary to exact retribution. You shall lose everything you own. Some will lose their very souls, for there is no greater crime amongst you than to betray your king; and thus now shall you burn for him. Your soul shall be sacrifice for his”

The priests were tied onto poles and embedded into the wooden structure. Hulagu himself lit the fires which sent the pious men of the Catholic Church screaming into hell. The boy considered closing his eyes again. Nothing could be worse than seeing this.

“I will bring you down from the spinning spheres;

I will toss you in the air like a lion.

I will leave no one alive in your realm;

I will burn your city and your lands.

All will be a pyre for my son.” At this point, the combination of tears and screaming from the great Khan made the rest of the speech hard to understand. The speech however transcended any language in it’s intent. Whatever the city of Acre had done, it had unleashed the very forces of hell onto the world.

The boy watched as countless people were brought forward. Women, Children and all were being dragged from the city and suffered butchery amongst other unspeakable acts, the rage of Hulagu having unleashed every awful vice amongst his soldiers, though just as many were notably disturbed.

All the people of Acre perished but him.

Soon he was sent on his way, escorted by his abuser on horseback. His only instruction was to pass on what he had witnessed. Little did the boy know that his words, the vengeance of Hulagu and the Funeral of Tekuder would spawn a conflict previously unimaginable in it’s horrors.

Well, can't see the Byzantine betrayed by the West this time around. Nor do I see the Mongols successfully invading Europe. So, a bloody East/West Divide is most likely, probably spanning generations.

Well, can't see the Byzantine betrayed by the West this time around. Nor do I see the Mongols successfully invading Europe. So, a bloody East/West Divide is most likely, probably spanning generations.
Imagine all the backstabbing of the crusades, combined with various islamic powers vying for dominance (both in and outside the Ilkhanate) combined with Ilkhanate dominance of the holy land and you pretty much have the picture.

Tengri-Muslim syncretic religion? The OTL Dalai Lama being an author of presumably religiously themed books. A Japanese practicioner, it seems, too.

The religion seems to have spread quite a lot. Did it change much in the meantime?

Tengri-Muslim syncretic religion?
Kinda. There are Tengri influences on it. At this time, more of Mongol culture is being absorbed by Islam and Tibetan Vajrayana buddhism. In particular, this time is the era in which Tibet comes closes to a "monotheism" equivalent with the Adi-Buddha, many sects like the Sakya practically being monotheists. Whilst I will explain it more at another time, the religion is largely a fusion of the two traditions that is not that far from the practitioners of the Yuan court, where Kublai would openly be a Vajrayana Adherant whilst worshiping Tengri.

The OTL Dalai Lama being an author of presumably religiously themed books. A Japanese practicioner, it seems, too.
Sort of... it's more fair to say that he is the ATL writer of a famous sci-fi series that is equivalent to one in our own TL. I don't want to give it away in case I go back to him as a character, but a little bit of digging will reveal the joke in that post =L

The religion seems to have spread quite a lot. Did it change much in the meantime?
It is poorly unified compared to the other Abrahamic faiths. Geographically it has quite a remarkable spread, but even in a world where Islam has gone on a major setback it is not as prevalent.
In regards to how it has changed, it very much depends on the region. Where OTL Tantric movements in the far east and central asia were dominated by Buddhists, it was often the case that these were populist versions of the faith which were practically monotheist to the average adherant (whilst Buddhas were worshipped in groups like the Ikko Ikki, Tantric populism (my own phrase) was dominant throughout the movement with Amitabha often being a stand in for an adi-buddha equivalent (sometimes as an emanation that anyone could tap into).
As a result, practices will vary wildly depending on where on you go. Turkic Namkhaism may emphasise more of the Abrahamic narative for instance, whilst Japanese Namkhaism will have little touches of Zen on it to shock oneself to the path of god.

Kinda. There are Tengri influences on it. At this time, more of Mongol culture is being absorbed by Islam and Tibetan Vajrayana buddhism. In particular, this time is the era in which Tibet comes closes to a "monotheism" equivalent with the Adi-Buddha, many sects like the Sakya practically being monotheists. Whilst I will explain it more at another time, the religion is largely a fusion of the two traditions that is not that far from the practitioners of the Yuan court, where Kublai would openly be a Vajrayana Adherant whilst worshiping Tengri.

The OTL Dalai Lama being an author of presumably religiously themed books. A Japanese practicioner, it seems, too.
Sort of... it's more fair to say that he is the ATL writer of a famous sci-fi series that is equivalent to one in our own TL. I don't want to give it away in case I go back to him as a character, but a little bit of digging will reveal the joke in that post =L

It is poorly unified compared to the other Abrahamic faiths. Geographically it has quite a remarkable spread, but even in a world where Islam has gone on a major setback it is not as prevalent.
In regards to how it has changed, it very much depends on the region. Where OTL Tantric movements in the far east and central asia were dominated by Buddhists, it was often the case that these were populist versions of the faith which were practically monotheist to the average adherant (whilst Buddhas were worshipped in groups like the Ikko Ikki, Tantric populism (my own phrase) was dominant throughout the movement with Amitabha often being a stand in for an adi-buddha equivalent (sometimes as an emanation that anyone could tap into).
As a result, practices will vary wildly depending on where on you go. Turkic Namkhaism may emphasise more of the Abrahamic narative for instance, whilst Japanese Namkhaism will have little touches of Zen on it to shock oneself to the path of god.

We don't have enough TLs emphazising religions, and I've been hoping to read a Mongol-centered TL for a long time. That's great.
Also, the Dalai-Lama writing Dune is so perfect on so many levels.