The Conlang Thread

The new Cioni language! With orthography and IPA symbols.

Oo /ɑ/
Aa /æ/
Ii /i/
Ee /ɛ/
Yy /e/
Uu /u/

Vv /v/
Nn /n/
Kk /k/
Ff /f/
Tt /t/
Dd /d/
Ss /s/
Cc /ʃ/
Ll /l/
Rr /r/
Gg /g/
Hh /ʎ/
Xx /ʒ/

I had the idea of for my conlang when I transcribe it to Latin script I would double the vocal characters for long and soft vocal sounds (which are treated as completely different rather than a variation of the same thing in the language). Any instance of a single vowels would be the short and hard sound.

Does that sound feasible?

I had the idea of for my conlang when I transcribe it to Latin script I would double the vocal characters for long and soft vocal sounds (which are treated as completely different rather than a variation of the same thing in the language). Any instance of a single vowels would be the short and hard sound.

Does that sound feasible?

I'm considering doing the same for my conlang. I mostly just represent elongated vowels with double-letters when I can't go into OpenOffice and get a character with a bar.

I've made quite a few conlangs myself, one of them is a hypothetical Pictish language if they had survived until modern times. it's not finished yet.

Jim has a car
[FONT=&quot]Ta car Jimo[/FONT]
Lit. Is car Jim-of

The suffix -o means of.

1st 2 lines of Lord's Prayer

[FONT=&quot]Gor Ait, Ta Avalogann Non[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Izo Tu Ta Gyur[/FONT]

Krall

Banned
I've made quite a few conlangs myself, one of them is a hypothetical Pictish language if they had survived until modern times. it's not finished yet.

Jim has a car
[FONT=&quot]Ta car Jimo[/FONT]
Lit. Is car Jim-of

The suffix -o means of.

1st 2 lines of Lord's Prayer

[FONT=&quot]Gor Ait, Ta Avalogann Non[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Izo Tu Ta Gyur[/FONT]

So does "-o" indicate the possessive case specifically, or the genitive case in general?

Want to make a Conlang, but not sure where to start. Can anybody help?
Yes! I can! Conlanging is quite fun, but requires a lot of work as well to make a good one. A very very good palce to start is Mark Rosenfelder's Langauge Construction Kit. There's also a very nice conlanging forum on that site, and Mark Rosenfelder's langauges which are very fascinating and quite helpful in desingning your own.

I've designed a few of my own, but most are awful. The one I'm currently wokring on is Alakan. Heres a sample sentence and gloss:

uyansini fen fulośawfo eni'ul oton
uyansi-ni fe-n f<ul>ośaw-fo eni-'ul oton
island.ERG-AGE HYP.AUX-3PROX paddle.2HD<3OBV>-PROG man-OBV wise
I was told that the islanders could be paddling to the wise man [right now]

ERG=ergative case, AGE= agentive, HYP.AUX= Hypothetical auxiliary verb, 2HD = Second hand evidential, 3PROX= 3rd person proximal 3OBV = 3rd person obviate, PROG = progressive.

s-accent is like english sh; apostrophe is a pharyngeal aproximant, like in Arabic.

I realy like noncatenating morphology.

archaeogeek

Banned
I like conlangs but I tend to prefer just doing conscripts. I used to have a folder of conscripts for an ATL world where the Phoenician didn't take off so scripts end up looking a lot more like Devanagari in the west; however I had a shadow of doubt cast on that when I started to suspect Devanagari (sorry, diacritics) was also descended from Phoenician :p

Want to make a Conlang, but not sure where to start. Can anybody help?

I'd start with the links offered by this site, and what the site itself has to say. The language construction kit in particular is recommended for newbies. It's the classic start for any aspiring language constructor.

Pkmatrix

Monthly Donor
Huh...been over a year since somebody posted here...

A few months ago I devised some simple Conlangs for a Fantasy universe I've been VERY slowly world building over the last six years. Reading a thread elsewhere reminded me of this thread, so I figure I'd pop in and share a bit. :) Here's the first one I did:

HELIOKATIC
(Pronounced: HE-LEE-OH-KAH-TICK)

ALPHABET
VOWELS: A/E/I/O/U (Yeah, I'm an English major, kinda hard to get out of this mindset :eek: )
CONSONANTS: B/D/F/G/H/J/K/L/M/N/P/R/S/T/W

GRAMMATICAL RULES
WORD ORDER: SOV
PLURAL: A- (ex. "Sanf" [Rope] becomes Asanf [Ropes]), E- if word begins with the letter "A" (ex.
POSSESSIVE: "Object" Aud (Of) "Possessor"
PAST TENSE: -T, or -AT
FUTURE TENSE: -F, or -AF

I also have a rather long list of words to fill out the vocabulary. ^_^