The Anglo/American - Nazi War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Initially quite large occupation force, as the Slavic population was reduced and survivors moved to plantations as slave labor and "settlers" with militia planted the actual active military numbers would go down. With time the numbers of partisans will decrease, and except relatively close to the DMZ with the rump USSR they will be totally dependent on captured weapons, food, etc. As the population is moved from "independent" villages to working on plantations, in compounds around mines or factories, etc, the sea that the fish are to swim in has been drained. The only way that new resistance fighters can replace those killed or too severely crippled to continue is from those escaping from slavery - a limited number who not only have to escape, but also find their way to a partisan unit.

Of course there will always be a significant military presence in former territories in the east, but given the methods the Germans will use to reduce the local population in size and put the remains in slavery...

What became of Ian Smith, Robert Mugabe, and Zimbabwe in general in this TL?

Ian Smigh might have continued his RAF career before returning to his native Rhodesia during the Warm War, during which he ends his Bachelor in Commerce; he might then buy a farm for himself (tobacco and food might be in a greater demand TTL). I can't know if he could be won like OTL by a Liberal Party leader saying him he should enter politics to "defend the values he fought for", since the War isn't finished.

As for Mugabe, he might stay a teacher and, if he still meet with the ANC, might be a trade union leader in Southern Rhodesia; however, he might not be drawn to Marxism.

@CalBear, I don't know quite how to ask this, but has the Festung Europa:AANW edition on Amazon/SLP been subject to further proofreading? Because my birthday's coming around, and I've been thinking about buying it as a present for myself. The only thing stilling my hand from the click are reviews to the effect that, while the TL is (as I know) great, the proofreading sucks something awful. Has this been remedied?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
@CalBear, I don't know quite how to ask this, but has the Festung Europa:AANW edition on Amazon/SLP been subject to further proofreading? Because my birthday's coming around, and I've been thinking about buying it as a present for myself. The only thing stilling my hand from the click are reviews to the effect that, while the TL is (as I know) great, the proofreading sucks something awful. Has this been remedied?
Not sure.

I'll find out.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
The edited version is supposed to be posted in a couple weeks. The dead tree version will follow shortly after that.
Those of you who have purchased the Kindle version on Amazon should be getting a message soon from Amazon that an updated (i.e. all my dumb errors corrected) version is available and you should update to the new version (this is SUPPOSED to be free, let me know if it isn't).

No word yet on the paperback version's release date.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
What's the service rifle and other small arms of the German and Allied armies?An American copy of MG42 is mentioned but not much else i think.
The U.S. and Australians used the M1A1, effectively OTL's M-14 in .30-06. The Commonwealth forces (at least those that mainly draw from British supply lines) use something similar to the the FN FAL in concept in .280. Both weapons have their supporters and detractors. The M1A1 can lay down a huge amount of fire, but it is a stone bitch to handle on full auto. The Marines have a version that has a 3 round burst option which makes the weapon marginally more manageable. The British love the .280 rifle, but they have retained .303 for LMG and MMG, doubling up the supply requirements.

The Waffen SS use something very similar to the G3 in 7.92x33 Kurtz while the reserve formations still use the 98K in 7.92x57. The various "national" forces use whatever they can lay their hands on. Most use the same issue weapons that were in use pre-war, with the G3 (or its Italian clone) limited to "elite", mainly SS formations.

The U.S. Army has effectively abandoned the sub machinegun, replacing it with the M2 carbine (the select fire version of the M1 carbine) or a shortened version of the M1A1.Everone else has soldiered on with the WW II weapons, although most formations had deemphasized the weapon type. A significant exception to this are the USMC and Australians, both of them having found a lot to love about .45 caliber sub-guns in the Pacific and a serious dislike of the less than robust .30 carbine round.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Bit surprised the British never adopted the Rifle No.9 and the TADEN. Keeping .303 would make sense for the Vickers MMG, however.
Pure author fiat.

I personally HATE the bullpup design and the fact that the TADEN used a non disintegrating belt is a major turn off.

Fair enough. In @ the British Army seem more than happy with the bullpup rifle configuration. It's handier for troops operating in APC/MICV and in FIBUA.

However the bullpup design does have some disadvantages (as do all designs). A FAL type rifle would also be a good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.