The Alternate History Book Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I question the qualifications to review history works of anyone who writes "But what if Rome had possessed better leaders, unlike the incompetent and corrupt string of emperors that culminated in the likes of Commodus? "

You know, incompetent and corrupt emperors like Trajan, Hadrian, Antoninus, Marcus Aurelius... :rolleyes:

Bruce

Like the idea

I really like the idea. This would allow us to share what we have read, what we liked and what we did not like.

I feel that I would gain a lot from the input of others.

I really like the idea. This would allow us to share what we have read, what we liked and what we did not like.

I feel that I would gain a lot from the input of others.

Well, the discussion thread for this month's book, Agent of Byzantium, will be going up sometime in the next couple of days. Or if you'd like to get a start on next month's book, we'll be reading Harry Turtledove's Guns of the South.

I will be posting the discussion thread for Guns of the South fairly soon, but I'd like to take the opportunity to re-gauge interest levels, since turnout was fairly sparse last time. Has anyone been having trouble finding the books? Is a month long enough to read them? Next up on our list is For Want Of A Nail; is everyone still OK with that as the next selection? Is the current format good, or would people like it more or less structured? All feedback will be taken into account!

"Pretty sparse" is an understatement... that thread has only 2 posts. :( For me, it seems like the book is announced and the thread goes up at the same time, leaving no time to acquire and then read the book. I was still trying to locate a copy of October's book when November's thread went up, for example; after that I just gave up. Where is the waiting list that you're using? I'd love to participate in the club and expand my reading, but I can't keep up at the current pace.

I agree. There should be 3-4 weeks to allow acquisition and reading time. Even if we have a copy of a given book, it may have been a long time since it was read, and thus would benifit from having time to re-read it.

Also, to help us all decide what to read in the future, I'm taking the liberty of adding brief summaries and descriptions of the stories we have listed so far, giving a brief understanding of their premises and stories. That way, if the club is in the mood for any particular historical time periods, setting, etc., or if anything in particular sounds unique and intriguing, we can know where to look.

1. The Man In The High Castle (total Axis victory in WW2. In ATL 1962, the world, including the defeated and divided United States, is divided in an even more vicious Cold War between Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan)

2. Bring The Jubilee (Confederate victory at Gettysburg leads to them winning the American Civil War and gaining their independence. Because of massive war reparations being imposed on the rump U.S., the Confederate States become a prosperous world power, while the United States decline into drudgery and poverty)

3. Agent Of Byzantium (series of espionage thrillers set in a world where Islam was never founded and the Byzantine Empire never fell. The Byzantine Empire remains the dominant power of Europe, and remains in a cold war with the Persian Empire)

4. Guns Of The South (time-travelers from OTL early 21st Century equip Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia with AK-47 assault rifles, helping them turn the tide of the American Civil War and win independence. But the time-travelers have an agenda of their own, leading to a battle for the heart and soul of the newborn Confederate States of America)

5. For Want Of A Nail (British victory at Saratoga leads to the defeat of the American Revolution. To restore peace and tranquility, Britain reforms the post-war American colonies into the semi-autonomous, yet still loyal to the British crown, Confederation of North America. Meanwhile, the unreconstructed American revolutionaries flee westward, take over Mexico, and form their own republic, the United States of Mexico, leading to a whole new balance of power in the North American continent)

6. Dominion (espionage thriller set in a world where Lord Halifax becomes Prime Minister instead of Churchill in 1940, leading to Britain making peace with Nazi Germany after Dunkirk. In ATL 1952, war between Germany and the Soviet Union continues to rage, while Britain inches its way toward Nazism itself)

7. Pavane (series of stories set in a world where Protestantism was destroyed following the assassination of Queen Elizabeth, and the Roman Catholic Church regained complete dominance over Europe)

8. Lest Darkness Fall (an American archeologist from OTL 1930's is ISOT'd back to the 6th Century, during the reign of the Ostrogothic Kingdom over the remnants of the Western Roman Empire. With the Byzantine forces on their way to try to conquer Italy, he sets out to use his knowledge to save Roman civilization from its ultimate collapse)

9. Ruled Britannia (the Spanish Armada conquers England in 1588. Queen Elizabeth is imprisoned, the English are converted back to Catholicism at swordpoint, and an inquisition even more merciless than its original Spanish counterpart roots out treason and heresy. William Shakespeare is approached by the English underground to write a play that will inspire the English people to revolt, but the Spanish occupying authorities also approach him and ask him to write a play glorifying King Phillip II and solidifying Spain's rule over England. A deadly game of cat and mouse ensues).

10. Wake Up and Dream (Clark Gable is an out-of-work actor, his movie career ended by the rise of a new cinematic technology called "feelies," which not only capture images and sounds, but project actual feelings, emotions, and sensations into audiences. In ATL 1940, working as a private investigator in Los Angeles, while a growing American fascist party is arising, challenging FDR, and pushing the U.S. into collusion with Hitler, a seemingly simple job leads to an attempt on his life, and a conspiracy that spreads throughout the underbelly of Hollywood)

11. When Angels Wept: A What-If History of the Cuban Missile Crisis (ATL nonfiction book detailing the history of the worst case scenario occurring in October 1962: global nuclear war erupting over the Cuban Missile Crisis, including the history behind it, how it unfolded, and how the world tried to adapt in its aftermath)

12. Then Everything Changed: Stunning Alternate Histories of American Politics (three stories of changes in Cold War-era American politics and consequences that follow: John F. Kennedy is assassinated in December 1960, leading to an early Lyndon Johnson presidency; Robert F. Kennedy survives his assassination and is elected in 1968; and Gerald R. Ford is reelected in 1976)

"Pretty sparse" is an understatement... that thread has only 2 posts. :( For me, it seems like the book is announced and the thread goes up at the same time, leaving no time to acquire and then read the book. I was still trying to locate a copy of October's book when November's thread went up, for example; after that I just gave up. Where is the waiting list that you're using? I'd love to participate in the club and expand my reading, but I can't keep up at the current pace.

I've quoted an expanded version of the list, compiled by VidaLaVida earlier in the thread. We are currently at 5.

I agree. There should be 3-4 weeks to allow acquisition and reading time. Even if we have a copy of a given book, it may have been a long time since it was read, and thus would benifit from having time to re-read it.

Since it sounds like this is a problem for multiple people (and since For Want Of A Nail is a pretty dense and hefty tome) I will be postponing the discussion until February 15 to give people time to acquire and read the book.

I'll also point out that older discussion threads are not locked or anything; if you finish a book that we've already done, or if you're running a little behind, there's nothing to prevent you from posting your thoughts on it in the appropriate thread...

I'm not sure if this project is still really active. However, just letting you guys know that I'm reading Dominion right now (I'm at page 200, or thereabouts, and I can tell you, it's reaaaaaaaaaaally good). So, please let me know when that'll be the book of the month and if I've finished it by then (and I assume so) then I'll join in in the discussion thread :)

I don't know if it's a good book, but on Uchronia.net I found out about Land of Hope and Glory by Geoffrey Wilson. The fact is, that part of it is on Google Books: books.google.com/books?id=5UQOjNFlmNAC. Therefore, I think it might be a good book for this project (even though it's quite long, I think): you can start reading and decide not to read on if you don't like it, without having to buy the book.

On another note, I also found a digital version (which might be useful too, avoiding having o buy books, although myself I rather read on paper) of part one of the Interregnum series by Richard J. Sutcliffe, The Peace: http://bookfi.org/dl/288941/aab304 I'm not quite sure if it's a good book, though.

The same goes for a last one, The Territory by Bradley Denton. I found this preview: http://www.scribd.com/doc/132593602/Denton-Bradley-Territory-The.

So I will admit, I have not gotten anywhere with For Want of A Nail yet. Is there anyone out there faithfully reading it in hopes of discussing it here next week? If so, I can make it a priority, but if not, I may put off the discussion until the end of the month...

So I will admit, I have not gotten anywhere with For Want of A Nail yet. Is there anyone out there faithfully reading it in hopes of discussing it here next week? If so, I can make it a priority, but if not, I may put off the discussion until the end of the month...

I've read it quite a bit, but I don't have it with me at the moment. I could discuss it, I suppose. I know a good deal of the mythology behind it - necessary because I'm writing a fan continuation of it.

I have two alternative history novels from New Zealand authors.

One is called Returning by Pat Whitaker which is about a tiny alien life form that is trying to get back home after being stranded on Earth around the outbreak of the Second World War. The life form passes from person to person, learning about the human condition along the way. It enters the minds of various Nazis and others involved in the Nazi rocket science programme. By occassionally over-riding the will of various Nazi officials it results in the Nazi rocket programme and the Nazi regime goes in a different direction.

The second is called Uncommon Enemy by John Reynolds which tells of what New Zealand could've been like if the Germans had defeated the British in the Second World War.

I also have a book in which historians look at what might've happened if various New Zealand historical events had taken place such as the 1840 Treaty of Waitangi not being signed, New Zealand joining Australia in 1901, the Japanese occupying New Zealand during World War Two, the Waihi Miners Strike had been successful and what if New Zealand had remained neutral in the Second World War? The book is called New Zealand As It Might've Been which is edited by Stephen Levine.

I have sort of a dumb question. Would the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik be considered Alternate History would you guys think? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.