Sorry for not commenting earlier; well done on the updates (of course, as you've managed to keep Trudeau out of office, I would have to say that, wouldn't I? :) )

But getting back to the main focus of the TL; will the Commonwealth FTA have any impact on / loosening of CanCon regulations? It would be interesting to see the effect on Canadian culture of British / Australian programming, if so.

TB-EI

That's true, but like Dr Who, they made up for it by having some reasonable scripts. It was more of a children's series than Dr Who, but generally didn't patronise it's audience. For example, I remember one story that was based on the idea that aliens were responsible for the Nika Riots (admittedly it did say the riots happened in Rome rather than Constantinople, but that's a minor quibble).
Everybody seems to love going back to that Ancient Astronauts well, don't they?

Sorry for not commenting earlier; well done on the updates (of course, as you've managed to keep Trudeau out of office, I would have to say that, wouldn't I? :) )
Glad you're still reading, TB-EI, and thank you for the compliment! (Whatever your motives might be ;))

The Blue-Eyed Infidel said:
But getting back to the main focus of the TL; will the Commonwealth FTA have any impact on / loosening of CanCon regulations? It would be interesting to see the effect on Canadian culture of British / Australian programming, if so.
An excellent question. One of Trudeau's last acts before leaving office ITTL was to institute CanCon regulations, and I don't see Stanfield eliminating them. However, as you well know, CanCon is in place primarily to "protect" artists in this country from being "overwhelmed" by specifically American product. Therefore, Stanfield might favour a "graduated" system, in which British (or Australian) programs will be allowed more airtime relative to Canadian-produced programming than American shows would. (And to continue this "graduated" system, shows that are obviously set in Canada, with Canadian characters, like King of Kensington, would then be worth more than those series with awkward, torturous "ambiguous" settings in the vein of Night Heat). It's also a good way to subtly differentiate between the governing styles of Trudeau and Stanfield.

I'm currently working on writing the next update. If all continues to go well, it should be ready in the next few days.

One more infobox. I only have one more left after this, with No-Prize for guessing what it is:

TWR US Senate Election, 1974 Infobox.png

(Three seats - one Conservative, and two Independent Democrats - are unaccounted for. The former caucuses with the Republicans, and the latter with the Democrats.)

TWR US Senate Election, 1974 Infobox.png

Brainbin said:
CanCon is in place primarily to "protect" artists in this country from being "overwhelmed" by specifically American product.
Do you see a change in the CRTC approach to Canadian network purchases of U.S. programming? Recently, there's been a lot of bidding-up of prices, financed by fees from cable companies (& ultimately cable customers:mad:) based on "simulcasting" (jamming:mad:), & now the demand for payment again for local programming. (In essence, the OTAs want cable customers to pay twice for U.S. programs they never get to see.:rolleyes::mad:)
Brainbin said:
those series with awkward, torturous "ambiguous" settings in the vein of Night Heat
It appears "Night Heat", like "Forever Knight", "Diamonds", or just the last couple of years, "Rookie Blue", were designed for export as much as domestic consumption. (They did appear on U.S. network TV. "Diamonds" actually wasn't bad, even for a Canadian show.) If I were writing the regs, I wouldn't want to discourage creation of product that could be exported; in fact, I might be looking to encourage it. (Which might lead to a lot more insipid game shows...:eek::rolleyes: since I don't see "Definition" translating well to Russian or Czech.:rolleyes: {Not unless it's a format export, like "Jeopardy" or "Deal or No Deal".} "Headline Hunters" might.) If the government managed to give "Definition" and edge in the U.S. market & it butterflied the creation of "Wheel of Fortune" entirely, I'd be very happy indeed.:)

On Eagle, it wasn't the exact number, it was the hull designator I question. IDK if RCN actually uses "CV-xx"... (I'm embarrassed to admit it.:eek:)

Do you see a change in the CRTC approach to Canadian network purchases of U.S. programming? Recently, there's been a lot of bidding-up of prices, financed by fees from cable companies (& ultimately cable customers:mad:) based on "simulcasting" (jamming:mad:), & now the demand for payment again for local programming. (In essence, the OTAs want cable customers to pay twice for U.S. programs they never get to see.:rolleyes::mad:)

It appears "Night Heat", like "Forever Knight", "Diamonds", or just the last couple of years, "Rookie Blue", were designed for export as much as domestic consumption. (They did appear on U.S. network TV. "Diamonds" actually wasn't bad, even for a Canadian show.) If I were writing the regs, I wouldn't want to discourage creation of product that could be exported; in fact, I might be looking to encourage it. (Which might lead to a lot more insipid game shows...:eek::rolleyes: since I don't see "Definition" translating well to Russian or Czech.:rolleyes: {Not unless it's a format export, like "Jeopardy" or "Deal or No Deal".} "Headline Hunters" might.) If the government managed to give "Definition" and edge in the U.S. market & it butterflied the creation of "Wheel of Fortune" entirely, I'd be very happy indeed.:)

What I could see for television (music is another matter, and I don't know if a directly comparable analogy would work) is:

OTL: 60% of all programming / 50% of primetime programming must be CanCon
ITTL after Commonwealth FTA: 50% of all programming / 40% of primetime programming must be CanCon; 10% (in each category)may be Commonwealth FTA partner originated programming; remainder open, except that no more than 35% may originate from any single country.

Which would have the effect of cutting American programming on Canadian stations by up to 30%.

Of course, this proposal would mean that the current obession of thread commenters would be even more popular north of the border ITTL.

As to export production: there must be some middle ground between "Great White North" and "Night Heat"; there are plenty of OTL British and Australian productions that get exported which make no particular attempt to disguise their origins.

TB-EI

Everybody seems to love going back to that Ancient Astronauts well, don't they?

Well, it was good enough for Dr Who and Star Trek ... There was another Tomorrow People episode featuring aliens who built the pyramids that might fit the Trope even better. For that matter Quatermass and the Pit used the Trope back in 1958, so we can't blame it all on von Däniken.

Of course, this proposal would mean that the current obession of thread commenters would be even more popular north of the border ITTL.

I can't think what you mean :)

As to export production: there must be some middle ground between "Great White North" and "Night Heat"; there are plenty of OTL British and Australian productions that get exported which make no particular attempt to disguise their origins.

Maybe Due South managed to hit that middle ground - it was reasonably popular in the UK.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Thande

Donor
Nice work on the Wiki infoboxes, I always feel they add a certain shocking sense of reality to a timeline--particularly when your audience is fellow AHers used to looking up election results, wars etc on Wiki and thus being used to looking at the infoboxes.

Maybe Due South managed to hit that middle ground - it was reasonably popular in the UK.

Which is another factor; if the arrangements are somewhat reciprocal (i.e. Canadian programming is given a special allowance in Britain, Australia & New Zealand), then there is less incentive to have a "generic" setting in shows which have export potential; these audiences would be more used to shows with a recognisably non-native setting.

TB-EI

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
Reciprocity could give a whole new meaning to "Little House On The Prairie" ITTL. :D

Australian Soaps have long been a (cheap?) staple of UKTV IOTL.
(The Sullivans, Prisoner Cell Block H, Sons and Daughters, Flying Doctors and the like)
Maybe they get a head start here?

Falkenburg

If it gives better access to stuff like "Special Squad" &...what was it called, the fire station show, so much the better.:cool:

Which is another factor; if the arrangements are somewhat reciprocal (i.e. Canadian programming is given a special allowance in Britain, Australia & New Zealand), then there is less incentive to have a "generic" setting in shows which have export potential; these audiences would be more used to shows with a recognisably non-native setting.

Even in the seventies, British audiences seemed to be quite comfortable with non-native settings. An interesting example is Van der Valk - a detective series set (and partially filmed) in Amsterdam. The main characters were Dutch but played by British actors.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Even in the seventies, British audiences seemed to be quite comfortable with non-native settings. An interesting example is Van der Valk - a detective series set (and partially filmed) in Amsterdam. The main characters were Dutch but played by British actors.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Nigel

Forgot about that but a good show. Also had things like Daktari, although that may have been more of a children's show, I remember liking it as a child. Not to mention there were often foreign imports they quite often showed in quite periods. [Remember something called Flashing blades which I think was repeated ad nausimu and another French based programme centred around a couple of Mirage pilots, and something else set I think in medieval Romania].

Steve

Thande

Donor

Cheers,
Nigel.

Ah yes, being too young to remember that (and it hasn't been repeated much) I mainly know it by the limerick from I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue that utilises a painful rhyme in the last line:

"Did you hear about old Van der Valk?
He powders his bottom with talc.
When asked 'what for?'
He said 'My bum's red raw!
You can tell by the way that I walk!'"

I like the course of this discussion! What's even more fun is that it's entirely on-topic with regards to this timeline! There's obviously broad enough interest in this subject from both of our constituent Realms on either side of the Pond; though I would like my readers Down Under to weigh in on the subject as well, as my knowledge of Australian programming is not as thorough as I would like beyond the cliche: frothy soaps; shows with young people on the beach in various states of undress; quirky kiddie shows; and, of course, Australianised versions of British and American "reality" programming (up to and including your version of Turn-On, which is Australia's Naughtiest Home Videos, famously interrupted by an episode of Cheers). For that matter, Kiwi readers are also welcome to discuss their homegrown programming, though I know that, as with Canada, many shows are produced and filmed in New Zealand, only to be set elsewhere (be it Ancient Greece or Angel Grove).

Cable is going to be something of a thorny topic for me, because I have an extreme vested interest in thwarting the success of a certain megalomaniacal company whose head will stop at nothing until everything in the known universe is named after him. (Yes, I may be extremely bitter about the renaming of a certain stadium, why do you ask?) However, this is a question that I can't easily answer, because the changes in this timeline are going to lead up to it.

phx1138 said:
I understand where you're coming from here, but as subsequent posters have stated, British and Australian shows don't seem to have this pathological need to conceal their origins. Now, granted, it's a lot harder for them to do so because of their accents, but British culture is very much in evidence in all of the most successful of their exports (witness Coronation Street, which might as well be called Oop North). Even the comparatively neutral present-day incarnation of Doctor Who is Very, Very British (particularly Welsh, I understand, as that's where it's filmed and produced). Likewise with Australian shows, replete with these gorgeous, tanned people with their very... distinctive accents, living in houses on or near the beach. Why is that when I watch Canadian shows that actually state or even emphasize their Canadian setting, I feel awkward and almost embarrassed? I think that's cultural conditioning, due once again to the Canada Does Not Exist trope. (To be fair, not all Proud To Be Canadian shows elicit that reaction from me. Red Green, Corner Gas, and Degrassi are all shows that, in very different ways, work to suppress it.)

As a side note, Rookie Blue (which was developed under the working title of "Copper") always reminds me of one of my favourite incredibly awful pieces of allegedly "witty" TV journalist writing, courtesy of Bill Brioux: "What happens to copper when it sits too long? It turns blue." Ha! You get it? He's being "clever" by linking the two names together using a real-world analogy! Except that copper (and bronze) turns green when it "rusts", as anyone who has ever seen the Statue of Liberty, one of the most famous monuments in the world, would know. (It's even called verdigris, for crying out loud!) But thanks for playing :rolleyes:

phx1138 said:
On Eagle, it wasn't the exact number, it was the hull designator I question. IDK if RCN actually uses "CV-xx"... (I'm embarrassed to admit it.:eek:)
It did indeed (all three OTL carriers used CVL, though, as they were all classified as "light" carriers, which Eagle was not).

What I could see for television (music is another matter, and I don't know if a directly comparable analogy would work) is:

ITTL after Commonwealth FTA: 50% of all programming / 40% of primetime programming must be CanCon; 10% (in each category)may be Commonwealth FTA partner originated programming; remainder open, except that no more than 35% may originate from any single country.

Which would have the effect of cutting American programming on Canadian stations by up to 30%.
Your estimate seems very reasonable and well-thought-out, pending some confirmatory number-crunching of my own.

I'm going to get into Canadian responses to Doctor Who as a sideshow in the pending "Yank Years" update; suffice it to say that, though it didn't "take" when the CBC aired the first Hartnell season (two years late!) in 1965, it did, to a much greater extent, once their hands were forced by NBC carrying the show starting in 1971. It's also going to tie into Stanfield's other plans for television ITTL, as I've got something in my back pocket which, I think, most of my Canadian readers would find very satisfying :cool:

Very well said, and I'm in complete agreement with you. Note that there have been popular Canadian exports to the United States that have done exactly that (some of which I mentioned above). Meanwhile, "ambiguous" shows like Flashpoint (featuring Mathesar and Kimberly) have generally seen far more marginal results.

Really? Due South, of all shows, was popular over there? Not that we didn't love it either - we were so proud that it did so well in the US - but I'm genuinely surprised to hear that you Brits cottoned to it as well. Maybe everybody just really loves the Mounties ;) But you're right in that it very convincingly hits the "middle ground" - it's filmed in Toronto but clearly set in Chicago, and its trappings are pure Canadiana (with Paul Gross proving that not all great Canadian actors leave for the United States after all).

Nice work on the Wiki infoboxes, I always feel they add a certain shocking sense of reality to a timeline--particularly when your audience is fellow AHers used to looking up election results, wars etc on Wiki and thus being used to looking at the infoboxes.
Thank you, Thande - I agree, the verisimilitude is very appealing to me. If TWR ever gets its own wiki (right after LTTW and P&S, I imagine :p), I would probably spend days on end making those things for just about everything (note that TV shows have their own infoboxes, too! Hmmm...).

In the case of British TV, the idea that Aliens influence Earth History has nothing to do with the Idea of Ancient Astronauts.
You misunderstand my terminology. Ancient Astronauts is the name of the trope that refers to aliens having influenced Earth history (because any such aliens would, of course, be astronauts, having left their home planet to explore our own). It's a "blanket" term to refer to any extraterrestrial intervention.

Again, very true. I can tell that you've given this idea a lot of thought ;) (Not that I mind at all; I like it a lot.)

Reciprocity could give a whole new meaning to "Little House On The Prairie" ITTL. :D
Funny you should mention that particular show...

Falkenburg said:
Australian Soaps have long been a (cheap?) staple of UKTV IOTL[...]Maybe they get a head start here?
That's a very likely possibility.

If it gives better access to stuff like "Special Squad" &...what was it called, the fire station show, so much the better.:cool:
I'm going to have investigate all of these programs that you're all name-dropping.

What an intriguing series! You can assume that at least the initial two seasons were also made ITTL - I see no reason to butterfly them.

Forgot about that but a good show. Also had things like Daktari, although that may have been more of a children's show, I remember liking it as a child. Not to mention there were often foreign imports they quite often showed in quite periods. [Remember something called Flashing blades which I think was repeated ad nausimu and another French based programme centred around a couple of Mirage pilots, and something else set I think in medieval Romania].
British television does seem a good deal more cosmopolitan than American (and Canadian, if you don't count American programming) television, with foreign imports relegated to the PBS (or cable) ghetto, with a few prominent exceptions. Americans, of course, are inordinately fond of adaptations, as TTL has made clear (and will continue to do so).

"Did you hear about old Van der Valk?
He powders his bottom with talc.
When they asked him 'what for?'
He said 'My bum's red raw!
You can tell by the way that I walk!'"
Thank you for sharing that piece of... poetic genius with us, Thande. (Having looked it up, I corrected the third line, as the meter was slightly off. I've heard far too many limericks in my day.) Nice to know that limericks have some popularity over there. I know the name comes from Ireland, but I always thought them as more of an American... art form (I blame the ubiquity of the "girl from Nantucket"; is she as popular across the Pond?). And in your honour, I will now post my final electoral infobox:

TWR US House Election, 1974 Infobox.png

In light of the remarkable interest in cultural trade relations between the Commonwealth Realms, I will devote an update to the subject, to come in the later 1970s (probably the 1977-78 cycle, to help frame the elections, as you will note that both the Canadian and British Governments will drop the writs in 1978). I once again welcome any Australasian readers to chime in with their thoughts on their native popular culture (and imports) at this time, or barring that, cultural protectionism in general (particularly in New Zealand). A few Australian readers have made their presence known in the past, but you are all welcome to post more than once ;)

If all goes well, the next update should be ready in the next couple of days!

TWR US House Election, 1974 Infobox.png

Thande

Donor
Really? Due South, of all shows, was popular over there? Not that we didn't love it either - we were so proud that it did so well in the US - but I'm genuinely surprised to hear that you Brits cottoned to it as well. Maybe everybody just really loves the Mounties ;) But you're right in that it very convincingly hits the "middle ground" - it's filmed in Toronto but clearly set in Chicago, and its trappings are pure Canadiana (with Paul Gross proving that not all great Canadian actors leave for the United States after all).
It was quite popular in its day, yes. Covering precisely why is a somewhat complicated question. I think part of it was the novelty: most British people don't really know anything about Canada and people were attracted to the simplified idea that show put forward that Canada is "Diet America", the USA with all the nasty stuff taken out, all the jokes about Canadians being ultra-polite and good-natured and so on, and the contrast with the overly-gritty version of Chicago. I have heard it claimed (mostly by British people) that that show ripped off Terry Pratchett's "Guards! Guards!" which has the similar plot of squeaky-clean naive policeman transposed to the gritty city, but I find that questionable considering it's an old plot archetype. Northern Exposure, which is basically the same thing in reverse, was also popular over here. I think it's because British comedy has often focused on class differences as a source of humour, and the closest thing that (theoretically) more egalitarian North America has to that are comedies that do the city mouse/country mouse thing.
Thank you for sharing that piece of... poetic genius with us, Thande. (Having looked it up, I corrected the third line, as the meter was slightly off. I've heard far too many limericks in my day.) Nice to know that limericks have some popularity over there.
The meter is indeed off, it's because on ISIHAC they have to improvise limericks on the spur of the moment, with the host providing the first line and then the four players each providing a line in turn. So they sometimes don't quite fit the meter, but it's a good source of humour. Some of them are quite zeitgeist-y. For example, this one (first line Scottish-themed because they were recording in Scotland that week) basically sums up British envy of West German industrial/economic dominance in the 1980s:

"While walking along the bank of Loch Ness,
I was startled to see Rudolf Hess.
He shouted 'Who won?'
(The ignorant Hun)
I said 'You did, in the end, more or less!'"

Brainbin said:
I know the name comes from Ireland, but I always thought them as more of an American... art form (I blame the ubiquity of the "girl from Nantucket"; is she as popular across the Pond?).
Nobody is quite sure why they're named after the city in Ireland or their precise origins...they were popularised over here by Edward Lear (of "The Owl and the Pussycat", etc.) but his version usually had the last line being almost the same as the first rather than it being the punchline.

And yes, we are well aware of the young lass from Nantucket, indeed (unless one knows about whaling or SM Stirling) it's pretty much the only reason anyone in the UK knows the name. I think quite a lot of them think Nantucket is a fictional place made up purely for limericks, in fact...

You misunderstand my terminology. Ancient Astronauts is the name of the trope that refers to aliens having influenced Earth history (because any such aliens would, of course, be astronauts, having left their home planet to explore our own). It's a "blanket" term to refer to any extraterrestrial intervention.

I soory that I misunderstood.
I used to be a High School Science teacher , I would spend two week in each of my classes to debunk much of the Pheudoscience, rthat my kid believed in. I was shocked by the number of Kids who would believe in Ancient Astronauts, UFO and even that we never landed on the moon.

And this was at a school rated as one of country top ten two years out of the Five years that I was a treacher there. Too many kids think they are learning science when watch X file and other Science Fiction shows.

As a result, I tend to over react some when some topic are brought up.
Do not get me wrong, I love science fiction and even the TV Trope of aliens influence earth history when done well. (Ie, The Quartermass serials, Doctor Who episodes : The Daemon, and Pyrimid on Mars.)

But I have known to jump on people belief when some of my least favorite Pheudosciencecome up. Do not get me started on the Philidephia Project .

Your estimate seems very reasonable and well-thought-out, pending some confirmatory number-crunching of my own.

Actually, let me revise and extend; in order to get things actually cross-fertilizing, instead of just having the UK as a second source of imported programs, perhaps the following might be better:

Overall:

• At least 45% must be CanCon
  • an additional 5% may be British or CanCon
  • an additional 5% may be Australian or CanCon
  • an additional 5% may be New Zealander or CanCon
  • no more than 35% of the remaining 40% may come from any single country (i.e. at least 5% of the 40% of "open" programming must originate from a non-US source)
Primetime:

• At least 40% must be CanCon
  • an additional 7.5% may be British or CanCon
  • an additional 7.5% may be Australian or CanCon
  • an additional 7.5% may be New Zealander or CanCon
  • no more than 32.5% of the remaining 37.5% may come from any single country (i.e. at least 5% of the 37.5% of "open" programming must originate from a non-US source)
Slightly more complicated, but guaranteed set-asides for each one would encourage reciprocity among the partners. Of course, this is going to make French-language programming more Can-Con heavy, as it is unlikely that the UK, Australia, or New Zealand will be producing any. ;)

TB-EI

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
I'll come out as a fan of Due South (But only the earlier series with the 'proper' Ray).
I liked the dynamic between the characters. It was quirky good-natured fun, by and large. What wasn't to like?
Diefenbaker certainly helped, although I could have done without Leslie Nielsen.

I'll also come out as being aware of Nantucket because of Billy Joel (Downeaster Alexa, anyone?). :eek:

Now of course I have to come up with a Limerick for this TL. Hmm. :D

Falkenburg

Brainbin said:
shows with young people on the beach in various states of undress
Which is the best part of Oz TV, as we all know.:D
Brainbin said:
a certain megalomaniacal company whose head will stop at nothing until everything in the known universe is named after him.
Ted Turner?:p (Donald Trump doesn't run a cable company...:))
Brainbin said:
this is a question that I can't easily answer, because the changes in this timeline are going to lead up to it.
Less interested in the answer ATM than in knowing you've looked into it.:)
Brainbin said:
I understand where you're coming from here, but as subsequent posters have stated, British and Australian shows don't seem to have this pathological need to conceal their origins.
I don't mean into English-speaking markets; I was thinking about, frex, Sweden or Israel. A dubbed cop show is no worry.:) I'd have no problem exporting a Canadian-made twist on "NYPD Blue" or "Quincy" with no changes. Nor with exporting "Beachcombers" (tho I wince at the quality & the repetitiveness...:eek:).
Brainbin said:
Why is that when I watch Canadian shows that actually state or even emphasize their Canadian setting, I feel awkward and almost embarrassed? I think that's cultural conditioning
Maybe. I get the sense it's because of what they emphasize. "Due South" was an inversion, but it still played into the cliche... Dave Broadfoot's Renfrew is more like what I want to see.
Brainbin said:
Red Green, Corner Gas, and Degrassi
I think I'd add "Little Mosque" to that list. I have a feeling some of the suppression has to do with where the money is coming from & the belief a Canadian setting won't sell as well in the U.S. (Think "Prom Night"...) As said above, I don't think it matters, if it's good. (IDK if, say, North of 60" would have done well in the U.S., but that's because there'd be less ready identification for the setup; in Arizona, New Mexico, or Oklahoma, with more Reserves, maybe.)
Brainbin said:
thanks for playing :rolleyes:
You've proven, yet again, the average reporter should stay away from science.:p They used to say Ed Murrow transformed broadcasting, making newsreaders without a clue into actual reporters. Television has clearly changed it back...:rolleyes: It's the "producers" who do all the heavy lifting & the news readers (at least the Brits are honest about this:cool:) who get the credit.
Brainbin said:
It did indeed
TY.
Brainbin said:
The Blue-Eyed Infide said:

Your estimate seems very reasonable and well-thought-out
IDK about reducing the U.S. content, but as a first cut, it would seem to increase CanCon from OTL's (IIRC) 25% to 40%. The question of the cable fees leading to a bidding war needs addressing IMO; a cap on the number of U.S. programs won't do that. A requirement that a given fraction of all monies paid by cable companies go to Canadian production? If it was, the overall quality is bound to go up,:cool: & the demand for U.S. shows might just go down. (It should also help export sales.:cool:)

On music, AFAIK the U.S. penetration is more easily handled. You do still get peculiar outcomes, like David Foster's album being denied the Juno as "not Canadian", despite him being Canadian & it being made here...:confused: I also agree with Gordon Lightfoot: acts successful in the U.S. & up for Grammys don't deserve Junos.
Brainbin said:
I've got something in my back pocket which, I think, most of my Canadian readers would find very satisfying :cool:
:cool: I can hardly wait.:)
Brainbin said:
I'm in complete agreement with you.
Me, too. What seems to happen is, Canadian producers look at U.S. shows & try to copy what's worked (or working), & you get "Toronto Law" & "Night Heat". (I might add "Intelligence", too; it seemed to be trying for the "24" audience.) What I don't get is why Canadian producers doing shows conceptually identical to American ones ("Forever Knight" as opposed to "Angel", frex, or the two cold case shows) manage to make bland garbage...:confused::confused:
Brainbin said:
Falkenburg said:

Funny you should mention that particular show...
Except, a Canadian production is liable to be "Anne of Green Gables". Now, "Little House" shot in Canada...;)
Brainbin said:
I'm going to have investigate all of these programs that you're all name-dropping.
Drop 1. And I was right, it was just "Fire": drop 2. There was also a later Oz cop show I saw (name I have no idea, but it was in the '90s). And there's Anna Lee (I loved Imogen Stubbs!), which went all of 5 episodes.:(:(
Brainbin said:
British television does seem a good deal more cosmopolitan
Access to a much more cosmopolitan TV "recipe"? Canadians are so used to going to the U.S. & looking no farther, I'm not surprised, & Americans have such a habit of thinking anything not "made in the U.S.A." is junk, I'm not, either.:rolleyes:
  • At least 45% must be CanCon
  • an additional 5% may be British or CanCon
  • an additional 5% may be Australian or CanCon
  • an additional 5% may be New Zealander or CanCon
  • no more than 35% of the remaining 40% may come from any single country (i.e. at least 5% of the 40% of "open" programming must originate from a non-US source)
Primetime:

• At least 40% must be CanCon
  • an additional 7.5% may be British or CanCon
  • an additional 7.5% may be Australian or CanCon
  • an additional 7.5% may be New Zealander or CanCon
  • no more than 32.5% of the remaining 37.5% may come from any single country (i.e. at least 5% of the 37.5% of "open" programming must originate from a non-US source)
I'm seeing a contradiction & probably misunderstanding. 5% may be Brit or CanCon, but up to 35% may be one source: so, 35% could be Brit? Or only 5? Or 5 counting as CanCon, plus 30? Or plus 35?
Of course, this is going to make French-language programming more Can-Con heavy
Maybe not. France could be a source. (French-made films have been pretty common on Radio-Canada.) Perhaps Italy & Spain, too; more than a few films were dubbed for broadcast here.

I don't mean into English-speaking markets; I was thinking about, frex, Sweden or Israel. A dubbed cop show is no worry.:)
Hm, I'm not sure how things were in the 70s, but I am fairly confident the Swedish dubbing situation was not overly different from that of the 90s. Which means you do need to worry about dubbed cop shows (since, a cop show presumably not being targeted at children, it will be subtitled, not dubbed), but a show that is very open about its origins is not at all a problem.