Brainbin said:
The last chance to save wholesome television is probably JFK - get rid of the assassination, assume that he'll pull out of the developing overseas quagmire rather than escalate it, and promote detente with the Soviets. Otherwise, the domino effect cannot be stopped.
I'd be interested in why you make that connection. I can see TV going "depressed" (fewer sitcoms, more betrayals, so forth), but R- rather than PG-rated doesn't follow, to me.
Brainbin said:
If I had to guess, I would say that's the average age of this thread's readers - or at least, the regular commenters. I'm half-tempted to start up a poll to determine my exact reader demographics, because I'm honestly very curious.
Put me a bit on the older side. Born '63. Aside that, DTF955Baseballfan's viewing habits could almost have been mine. I'd add first run "WKRP", "AitF", "The Waltons' (mainly 'cause my mom liked it;)) ("Edge of Night" in summer, for the same reason, tho Lori Loughlin would have gotten me to watch it:p), "Bewitched" (for a couple of years, anyhow), "Ironside' (more in syndication than first run, IIRC), "Columbo" (tho I wouldn't watch it now), later also "Mrs Columbo", "Barney Miller" (one of my fave sitcoms ever), "MASH" (as already mentioned), "Tenafly", "Happy Days" (which I don't recall liking, tho I did watch it), "Quincy", "Trapper John" (another victim of "MASH" butterflies; what happens to Chris Norris?:eek::eek: Who I adored.:cool: {Also in "Summer of '42", you may recall.;)}), "Sidestreet" & "Rainbow Country" (both of which I daresay only Canadians ever heard of:p), & a bunch of other stuff I just don't recall.:eek: (Looking at this, there's some I'm not sure I'd admit to, either.:p) I do distinctly recall Cheryl Ladd soaking wet in a bikini, tho.:cool::cool::cool: (And I started watching "Dallas" because of Charlene.:p) Some from the era I know I watched, but can't be sure if that was first-run or later, especially "Rockford", which IIRC was on Saturdays, early, here.

The year links here are a revelation to me, actually. I know I watched a lot of those shows, but I have almost no memory of any of them.:eek:
Brainbin said:
That was the nearest example I could think of. It just rankles me because of the awful music that replaced the terrific music. That fight scene! The tribble leitmotif! Scotty's Theme! Even all the little incidental cues! They're just so rich and colourful!
:eek::eek: And I've never even noticed.:eek: (Except that hideous "fight scene" music.:rolleyes:) I suppose you can identify the individual themes for the "Big 3", too?:rolleyes:;)
Brainbin said:
We all owe PBS so much.
It seems to vary by era. I found my fave Brit TV (with a sprinkling of Oz) mainly on CBC ("The Professionals", "I, Claudius" {look for Patrick Stewart:cool:}, & IIRC "The Sweeney"; "Upstairs, Downstairs", too, IIRC {my mom liked it;)}), late nights, with "Special Squad" actually on late night on the local station filling time,:eek: & "Fire" (also Oz TV) on A&E (before it became a joke). I do credit PBS for "Connections" & "The Day the Universe Changed".:cool::cool: Could be "The Sandbaggers" was PBS; it's been awhile. I'd also add probably the funniest & most savvy sitcom I've ever seen, "Yes, Minister", but I honestly don't recall where I first saw that.:eek::eek:

I was born in 1950. You are now covering a period of time when I watched a lot less television, as I didn't own one while I was away at college, or for a few years after. Watching television was a more occasional thing, in the dorm lounge, or if I had a roommate who owned one.

Put me a bit on the older side. Born '63. Aside that, DTF955Baseballfan's viewing habits could almost have been mine. I'd add first run "WKRP", "AitF", "The Waltons' (mainly 'cause my mom liked it;)) ("Edge of Night" in summer, for the same reason, tho Lori Loughlin would have gotten me to watch it:p), "Bewitched" (for a couple of years, anyhow), "Ironside' (more in syndication than first run, IIRC), "Columbo" (tho I wouldn't watch it now), later also "Mrs Columbo", "Barney Miller" (one of my fave sitcoms ever), "MASH" (as already mentioned), "Tenafly", "Happy Days" (which I don't recall liking, tho I did watch it), "Quincy", "Trapper John" (another victim of "MASH" butterflies; what happens to Chris Norris?:eek::eek: Who I adored.:cool: {Also in "Summer of '42", you may recall.;)}), "Sidestreet" & "Rainbow Country" (both of which I daresay only Canadians ever heard of:p), & a bunch of other stuff I just don't recall.:eek: (Looking at this, there's some I'm not sure I'd admit to, either.:p) I do distinctly recall Cheryl Ladd soaking wet in a bikini, tho.:cool::cool::cool: (And I started watching "Dallas" because of Charlene.:p) Some from the era I know I watched, but can't be sure if that was first-run or later, especially "Rockford", which IIRC was on Saturdays, early, here.

I remember WKRP, too, and "Happy days" - I didn't enjoy it at first either but gave it a try a couple seasons later and liked it, fromw hat I recall.

Will Trapper John be a casualty of MASH or not? I didn't watch it, so I don't know how tied to MASH it was. Could there be a character who was a doctor in Korea created like that? I think so. Of coruse, it probably would be a different character.

I remember other shows off and on that I watched, probably a good number of late '70s sitcoms, wasn't much into dramas though I loved Emergency for the medical stuff. Once I got to Junior High I stopped adding shows that I watched and started dropping them as I lost interest or got too busy or they just ended; except that I started watching "Cheers in season 2 somewhere and The cosby Show at the start because Bill Cosby had always been one of my favorite comedians.

As I say, though, with other stuff going on I will likely not be reading updates as frequently for a few years TL-time, though, and pick it up when i figure it's in the 1975 or so range. It is a really cool thread. Although one thing in closing - it'd be nice if, even if he's not President, Richard Nixon would become part of NFL lore, thoughit's mostly mythical. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/08/the_play_richard_nixon_designe.html Maybe the joke in this TL is that after failing at politics, Nixon tries to take up football coaching.

Last edited:

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
This is such fun, especially for another pop culture junkie! Posting so I can subscribe...

Not that i would wish to discourage anyone from posting but it is not required to subscribe.:)

Lord knows i follow enough TLs i don't post in. And Welcome.

Apologies for any typos. First reply on a phone.:confused:o

Falkenburg

Guys

Since its time for confessions:p I date back to 59. Seen a lot of the programmes mentioned on the thread, although not all the US ones.

Like Falkenburg I could never understand the appeal of "Keeping up Appearances":confused::confused:

Steve

DTF955Baseballfan said:
I remember WKRP, too, and "Happy days" - I didn't enjoy it at first either but gave it a try a couple seasons later and liked it, fromw hat I recall.
My memory of "Happy Days" was Henry as Fonz more than anything. (Family watched; not by my choice.) And I liked Pat Morita. "WKRP" was more my choice.
DTF955Baseballfan said:
Will Trapper John be a casualty of MASH or not? I didn't watch it, so I don't know how tied to MASH it was. Could there be a character who was a doctor in Korea created like that? I think so. Of coruse, it probably would be a different character.
Fair enough, not exactly the same show. I remember it being more the conflict between "Marcus Welby" (Trap) & "Hawkeye" (Gonzo Gates) than about Korea anyhow. "Medical Center" for the '80s, anyone?:p
DTF955Baseballfan said:
I loved Emergency for the medical stuff
Oh, me too.:cool: Using the jargon like we understood it?:cool: That was a real golden age for sitcoms IMO: "222", "Kotter", "WKRP", "MASH", & "Barney Miller", all which I watched, "Mork & Mindy" at the start, too. (Then it got silly...)

The dramas? I remember particularly liking "M:I", "Police Story", "SWAT", & "Petrocelli". (I watched "Mannix", but don't recall being impressed.) Doubtless there were others...but I'd have to look at the listings.
DTF955Baseballfan said:
"Cheers" in season 2 somewhere and The cosby Show at the start because Bill Cosby had always been one of my favorite comedians.
Never watched either. Never quite saw the appeal. (Kirstie as Saavik was good, tho.:cool:)

Nice to see that so many of you correctly interpreted my casual observation about demographics!

With regard to the casting of the next Doctor Who companion, I found this very interesting tidbit on the first Sarah Jane Smith. She was replaced because of Pertwee - she just didn't have 'chemistry' with his character. On the other hand, he was all 'thumbs up' at Lis Sladen's audition.
Thanks for the very helpful find, Glen. It does remind me that people have been asking after Sarah Jane - and not Lis Sladen :cool:

Since you (kind of) asked, I was born in 1974.
Which makes you the youngest person thus far to have volunteered his age. Though you're still older than me! :p

Falkenburg said:
Mind you, have you ever heard of a Childrens' Show called "Chocky"?
I haven't! But investigating the program, it looks charmingly 1980s.

Falkenburg said:
A contemporary example of the phenomenon is a Show called "My Family" (BBC1).
This has run for bloody years (or maybe it just seems like it?), enjoying significant ratings for some mysterious reason. :confused:
We've gotten "My Family", and believe me, I have no intention of defending that. It's like they decided to take the lamest, most by-the-numbers American sitcom and prove that they could somehow make it even worse. Lindsay and Wanamaker deserve better - and indeed, they've publicly complained about the program's poor quality. But at least they've finally cancelled it - after over 100 episodes! :eek:

We have seen the earlier close to [verboten], and the failure to launch of MASH, but I don't think we will be seeing the end of [verboten] Vet movies - recall that the war had been going on for years even by this time, also recall that Mi Lai and Tet still have happened ITTL. That's plenty of grist for both antiwar and post-war angst films and television.
As I have stated before, the overseas quagmire will have about as much impact ITTL as Korea did IOTL.

I myself was born in 1971 - the year of the crossover!;)
In Britain. It was produced and aired in the United States in 1970 ;)

I'd be interested in why you make that connection. I can see TV going "depressed" (fewer sitcoms, more betrayals, so forth), but R- rather than PG-rated doesn't follow, to me.
Looking back on it, I think even JFK would be too late - we would have to change the verdict on the Miracle Decision (unlikely); stifle the intelligentsia and prevent them from reacting against McCarthyism and the general repressiveness of the 1950s (pretty much impossible); and elect Nixon in 1960 for good measure. The Civil Rights Movement doesn't look so hot in this "wholesome" TL either.

phx1138 said:
Put me a bit on the older side. Born '63.
Which still makes you younger than at least two of this timeline's regular readers. But given your appreciation of beautiful women from the small screen, and doing the math, you would be coming into just the right age to fully... "appreciate" the famous Farrah Fawcett poster of OTL. Your thoughts on this pop culture phenomenon? And keep it G-rated ;)

phx1138 said:
:eek::eek: And I've never even noticed.:eek: (Except that hideous "fight scene" music.:rolleyes:)
That shapeless, directionless "moaning" replacing the wonderfully percussive and energetic original fight music infuriates me :mad:

phx1138 said:
I suppose you can identify the individual themes for the "Big 3", too?:rolleyes:;)
Well, I call it "Scotty's Theme", because it's used in two classic Scotty scenes: the confrontation with Kirk over the bar fight in "Tribbles", and the drinking contest in "By Any Other Name". I love it; it's like a sea shanty :D Of the Big Three, only Spock has a proper leitmotif (introduced in "Amok Time"). I guess you could argue that Kirk and the Enterprise both share the Fanfare as a thematic cue...

I was born in 1950. You are now covering a period of time when I watched a lot less television, as I didn't own one while I was away at college, or for a few years after. Watching television was a more occasional thing, in the dorm lounge, or if I had a roommate who owned one.
Your birth year makes you the only confirmed reader who would actually remember this era with a (mostly) adult perspective, so I thank you for not tearing apart this timeline that I've created :) I'm not sure if I'll manage to squeeze in more movie-related updates (or even properly explore the music of TTL) before you're due to graduate from college, but I'll see what I can do.

This is such fun, especially for another pop culture junkie! Posting so I can subscribe...
Thank you very much, Pheebs (may I call you Pheebs?) and welcome aboard! Judging from your other post (which showed up in my subscribed threads list :p), you have excellent tastes indeed. Please feel free to provide your opinions and commentary!

"M*A*S*H" will not exist ITTL. The movie bombed, so why would there ever be a televised adaptation?

Not that i would wish to discourage anyone from posting but it is not required to subscribe.:)
Really? Well, if at all possible, could you please share how it's done? I've personally tried, but I could never figure out how.

Since its time for confessions:p I date back to 59.
Which makes this a very awkward time for the young Steve P. 12 years old... Don't worry, you'll get through adolescence in one piece :p

I'm still waiting for a regular reader who is younger than me - which shouldn't be difficult, as two or three of you identify as "student". And my age? Well, I've dropped a number of hints over the course of the thread. First one to get the year right wins the No-Prize!

Brainbin said:
We've gotten "My Family", and believe me, I have no intention of defending that. It's like they decided to take the lamest, most by-the-numbers American sitcom and prove that they could somehow make it even worse. Lindsay and Wanamaker deserve better - and indeed, they've publicly complained about the program's poor quality. But at least they've finally cancelled it - after over 100 episodes! :eek:
Fan popularity is frequently a mysterious thing.:confused: And, as you doubtless know, if the advertisers like the demos, it doesn't matter if it's purest garbage.:eek:
Brainbin said:
Looking back on it, I think even JFK would be too late - we would have to change the verdict on the Miracle Decision (unlikely); stifle the intelligentsia and prevent them from reacting against McCarthyism and the general repressiveness of the 1950s (pretty much impossible); and elect Nixon in 1960 for good measure. The Civil Rights Movement doesn't look so hot in this "wholesome" TL either.
I'm genuinely not getting the connection.:confused::confused: What do you see as the causality there?
Brainbin said:
Which still makes you younger than at least two of this timeline's regular readers. But given your appreciation of beautiful women from the small screen, and doing the math, you would be coming into just the right age to fully... "appreciate" the famous Farrah Fawcett poster of OTL. Your thoughts on this pop culture phenomenon? And keep it G-rated ;)
I never got it.:confused: Never a fan of Farrah. I'd have cast Cheryl from the start.:cool: (Or, had I recalled "'42", Chris; she might've been a trifle young.) I'd probably also not have cast Jacklyn. (Then again, I'd have wanted actual scripts.:rolleyes:)
Brainbin said:
That shapeless, directionless "moaning" replacing the wonderfully percussive and energetic original fight music infuriates me :mad:

Well, I call it "Scotty's Theme", because it's used in two classic Scotty scenes: the confrontation with Kirk over the bar fight in "Tribbles", and the drinking contest in "By Any Other Name". I love it; it's like a sea shanty :D Of the Big Three, only Spock has a proper leitmotif (introduced in "Amok Time"). I guess you could argue that Kirk and the Enterprise both share the Fanfare as a thematic cue...
My awareness of the incidental music isn't strong enough to comment, except to say the "TOS" fight music annoys the hell out of me.:rolleyes: :p
Brainbin said:
"M*A*S*H" will not exist ITTL. The movie bombed, so why would there ever be a televised adaptation?
As said, it need not be exactly the same show to be very close conceptually. Did it only get on air because of the "MASH" connection? Maybe.

Glen

Soooo....yeah, no Trapper John, M.D. at all ITTL I'm thinking....however, I am sure there will be doctor shows that will fill that niche.

Glen

Continuing my research into the possibility/probability of 1) the casting of Elisabeth Sladen as a companion to the Doctor and 2) the naming and conceptualization of the character of Sarah Jane Smith.

I found this chestnut most recently here.

"Letts and Dicks were confronted with the challenge of devising a companion to replace Jo Grant. A new character was created during the early part of 1973 and this role went to April Walker, an actress who had previously appeared in episodes of The Onedin Line, Dad's Army and Crossroads. Early in the spring, however, the production team found that Walker and Jon Pertwee shared little chemistry during rehearsals. It was decided that they would not proceed with the character, although Walker would be paid in full for all episodes of Season Eleven."

This part I have already alluded to. ITTL it is questionable in my mind whether April Walker will ever be cast as a companion, but it is possible since Letts is likely still involved (unless...see below).

"Instead, Holmes wrote a new companion called simply “Smith” into his scripts. This was latterly fleshed out as journalist Sarah Jane Smith;"

Ah ha! I had seen references to Sarah Jane Smith not being the original name/character concept for April Walker's companion and this suggests it as well - it is a bit odd to me that just because the actress wasn't working they didn't just recast but renamed/recreated a new companion. Perhaps there were also problems with the character concept April Walker was originally playing? However, this suggests that the character of Sarah Jane Smith was not a long planned one, and that this is likely to not occur ITTL given all the preceding changes.

"Letts and Dicks intended that she be more independent and modern than Jo, in response to the accusations of sexism often levelled at Doctor Who."

Now this part, on the other hand, seems to me likely to occur given that these people are going to still be involved in the series at this time and that the prevailing attitudes of the times will create similar pressure.

"Because the production team had taken so long to develop Sarah Jane, her casting was a relatively belated affair. The last actress to be seen for the role was Elisabeth Sladen, who had originally assumed that she was merely being considered for a guest spot. Although mainly a stage actress, Sladen had also enjoyed parts in TV series such as Coronation Street, Doomwatch and Z Cars."

Actually, one of the main people involved in Z Cars recommended her to Letts, and I think that likely to occur ITTL at some point as well.

"After impressing Letts with her audition, Sladen was taken to meet Pertwee, and quickly gained the star's approval as well. Sladen was contracted for twenty-six episodes on May 3rd."

Place Sladen, Letts, and Pertwee in the same room and you will end up with Sladen cast in Doctor Who, sure as the sun rises in the east!

"In keeping with the previous recording block -- which saw Carnival Of Monsters taped last, to be held over until the new year -- it was decided that The Time Warrior would be made at the end of the tenth block, but start Season Eleven. Letts originally hoped to direct the story himself, but he and Dicks were busy gearing up for production on a new adult science-fiction series called Moonbase 3 (which they hoped to leave Doctor Who to make)."

Now then, I was looking for this in regards to weighing the plausibility of Sladen on Doctor Who, but this is yet another reference to Moonbase 3 with regards to Letts and Dicks. Again, the question arises whether this project will gain more support during the Moonshot Lunacy years, and whether this will have impact on their role in Doctor Who - I suspect that they will still work with Doctor Who for some time yet, even if we see an alternate development of Moonbase 3, but it is interesting.

So, in summary, my current thoughts are that it is unlikely that we see a character named precisely Sarah Jane Smith ITTL's Doctor Who. I think it is likely that we see a character with a similar pro-feminist bent immediately after Connie Booth's companion. While it is not by any means inevitable, neither is it implausible to see Elisabeth Sladen cast as that companion given the stage her career is likely in at that time and the chemistry she is likely to share with Pertwee even ITTL.

I would advise you, Brainbin, to perhaps indulge in just a bit of parallel history by having a differently named (and slightly different timed) new companion played by Elisabeth Sladen ITTL's Doctor Who, though of course, this is your call.

Next up, my comments on whether we will see Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor!;)

Glen

With regard to the Tom Baker casting, it seems unlikely that Tom Baker would be end up auditioning on his own initiative.

IOTL, he rung up Bill Slater who produced him in the Play of the Month teleplay of the Millionairess (which is like in 1972, so not too far away from the POD's wave hitting Britain to be out of the question), who had recently been made BBC Head of Serials and thus was making recommendations to Letts regarding who the 4th Doctor should be. If Delgado's premature death is canceled by the changes already occuring, then I think that Pertwee is likely to run one more year than OTL, but probably no more than that. So I think we see the casting for the Fourth Doctor delayed by a year. However, given how picky Tom Baker was in his roles at the time, I think it is quite possible that he would still be available, and that Slater may still be a Head of Serials at the time of the decision, and they may still have worked together in the Play of the Month.

So what I think I am seeing here is that Tom Baker still could be the Fourth Doctor, but need not be so, based on the timeline changes thus far.

If you want to keep some of the key moments of 1970s Doctor Who alive in some form, then you want to parallel OTL development in the casting of Lis Sladen and Tom Baker. However, it is by no means certain.

Go to thread tools then select subscribe to this thread?
Thank you, Glen :eek: Not that I regret only knowing the post-to-subscribe method, because that's what finally brought me out of my shell, and eventually resulted in this timeline! :D (Though now I can subscribe to older threads without resorting to necromancy.)

I'm genuinely not getting the connection.:confused::confused: What do you see as the causality there?
From the 1950s onward, the beatniks, hipsters, and their spiritual descendants emphasized pushing the envelope, rocking the boat, changing the system, sticking it to The Man. And where did they have the greatest influence? The Liberal Arts. Therefore, their influence would naturally encompass the Mass Media. That, coupled with their adoration of foreign artistic movements (such as the French New Wave), as well as their seemingly innate charisma and leadership skills, would eventually result in their overtly sexual, violent, and polemic tastes predominating over the subtle, sly, coded styles of the previous generation (note that both Hitchcock and Wilder were more or less finished after the "new freedom of the screen" came into being). Add in a more tumultuous era (the fight for civil rights, the overseas quagmire, high-profile political assassinations, drugs, hippies, "free love", and a clash between generations) and there you have it.

phx1138 said:
My awareness of the incidental music isn't strong enough to comment, except to say the "TOS" fight music annoys the hell out of me.:rolleyes: :p
I'm going to ignore that :mad:

phx1138 said:
As said, it need not be exactly the same show to be very close conceptually. Did it only get on air because of the "MASH" connection? Maybe.
Definitely. IOTL, "M*A*S*H" began life as an adaptation of the second book, and was intended as a sequel to the 1970 film, which was a huge hit. ITTL, it flopped, and killed the director's career along with it, so no sequel would be forthcoming.

Soooo....yeah, no Trapper John, M.D. at all ITTL I'm thinking....however, I am sure there will be doctor shows that will fill that niche.
The #1 series on the air in the 1970-71 season is "Marcus Welby, M.D." In Hollywood, more than anywhere else, success breeds imitation.

1969 me, and from Australia. That means that during the mid 70s every evening was dominated by two shows back to back - the Goodies and Dr Who.
Thank you for sharing your demographic information, Evermourn, and I'm glad to see that you're still following along :) I'm not sure whether I'll be covering "The Goodies" in any detail; we'll have to see if an update on British comedy in the early 1970s is worth discussing.

If you want to keep some of the key moments of 1970s Doctor Who alive in some form, then you want to parallel OTL development in the casting of Lis Sladen and Tom Baker. However, it is by no means certain.
Thank you for all of your detailed input on the matter, Glen. You're making a few suppositions here that I think are somewhat premature, but it should certainly help me with making some key decisions in the not-too-distant future.

The science-fiction update should be ready in the next few days. Thanks to all of you for your patience!

Brainbin said:
From the 1950s onward, the beatniks, hipsters, and their spiritual descendants emphasized pushing the envelope, rocking the boat, changing the system, sticking it to The Man. And where did they have the greatest influence? The Liberal Arts. Therefore, their influence would naturally encompass the Mass Media. That, coupled with their adoration of foreign artistic movements (such as the French New Wave), as well as their seemingly innate charisma and leadership skills, would eventually result in their overtly sexual, violent, and polemic tastes predominating over the subtle, sly, coded styles of the previous generation (note that both Hitchcock and Wilder were more or less finished after the "new freedom of the screen" came into being). Add in a more tumultuous era (the fight for civil rights, the overseas quagmire, high-profile political assassinations, drugs, hippies, "free love", and a clash between generations) and there you have it.
Huh. I've clearly not thought anything like enough about it.:eek::eek:
Brainbin said:
I'm going to ignore that :mad:
Different strokes, you say tomahto, I guess.;)
Brainbin said:
Definitely. IOTL, "M*A*S*H" began life as an adaptation of the second book, and was intended as a sequel to the 1970 film, which was a huge hit. ITTL, it flopped, and killed the director's career along with it, so no sequel would be forthcoming.
I mean "Trap" & TV's "MASH", not the movie.:eek:
Brainbin said:
The #1 series on the air in the 1970-71 season is "Marcus Welby, M.D." In Hollywood, more than anywhere else, success breeds imitation.
No doubt. Except "Trap" would be 9 years later OTL... As said, a very similar show, even down to the same cast, with a slightly different theme & new name isn't unlikely.
Brainbin said:
Thanks to all of you for your patience!
Don't test it too much.:p

Since you (kind of) asked, I was born in 1974. By the by, I am definitively not a "Brit" (Belfast, NI). :p

US Imports have always formed a significant part of my television diet, though. Especially Serials.

That said I there have been a number of Shows referenced I've never heard of.
Mind you, have you ever heard of a Childrens' Show called "Chocky"?
Ah Chocky. I remember from the repeat and the less good Chocky's Children...

As to the squirm inducing antics of Mrs Bucket (It's pronounced Bouquet, Dear ;)), you're bang on the money.

Although somebody must have watched it (IIRC it was HUGE).
A veritable mainstay of what passed for Prime Time Entertainment.
I quite enjoyed it at the start and then the BBC decided that because it was huge it had to massively outlast good scripts :mad::rolleyes:
A contemporary example of the phenomenon is a Show called "My Family" (BBC1).
This has run for bloody years (or maybe it just seems like it?), enjoying significant ratings for some mysterious reason. :confused:
As per KUA another show ruined by continuing it past it's death.
I think the makeup of the BBC makes it prone to zombie shows :(

For the record I think I'm the youngest reader being born well past the POD in end of '77.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glen

Thank you, Glen :eek: Not that I regret only knowing the post-to-subscribe method, because that's what finally brought me out of my shell, and eventually resulted in this timeline! :D (Though now I can subscribe to older threads without resorting to necromancy.)

Noted.

Yep, and maybe even one with Parnell Roberts in it....

Thank you for all of your detailed input on the matter, Glen.

You are welcome.

You're making a few suppositions here that I think are somewhat premature,

I think I'm making a lot of premature suppositions, on purpose - I want to give you enough information about Doctor Who in the early 1970s to give you some good grist for the mill, before you get too tied into a direction potentially. The rest of them I'm doing just for the shear fun of it! In the end, your timeline so do with this as you please.

but it should certainly help me with making some key decisions in the not-too-distant future.

All part of my ev...I mean helpful plan.

The science-fiction update should be ready in the next few days. Thanks to all of you for your patience!

By which I now know not to expect it for at least three days. Few and Couple, indeed!

But you've bought yourself plenty of time now that we've had the crossover. I will look forward to it regardless of when it materializes.

The Sandman

Banned
Just finished reading through this, and wanted to give it a thumbs up.

I also wanted to suggest a trio of potential imports that would fit the more sci-fi conscious viewing public, as well as providing more filling and nutritious animated fare. And since they're all Japanese, there's somewhat less chance of them all being butterflied away (albeit increasingly less as time goes on).

The series in question are Mobile Suit Gundam, Superdimensional Fortress Macross, and Legend of Galactic Heroes.