I like Phylis Coates Lois more than Noel Neill, simply because she had a strong personality and I could believe that her Lois was a Successful reporter. Noel Neill always seen like the Lady in distress, but never a successful reporter. I enjoy re-watching Phylis Episodes when I recently look at the old Superman Series for my timeline, Step By Step.

I think it too soon to rule on Amy Adams since all we seen is two clips of her in the recent preview. But I looking forward to the new movie now.

I have a high opinion of Phylis Coates from what I've read about her. Where did you get ahold of those Adventures of Superman shows? I'd love to see them. What's your timeline about?

I have a high opinion of Phylis Coates from what I've read about her. Where did you get ahold of those Adventures of Superman shows? I'd love to see them. What's your timeline about?

A friend of mine found DVD of the episodes on one of the gray market sites. Most likely ioffer. He get a bunch of stuff from Ioffer.

My Time Line is called Step by Step: How Stop Motion changes the World.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=254952

It POD is Willis O'Brien does three more stop Motion movies between The Lost World and King Kong. One of the People who enjoy them, Howard Hughes who purchased RKO earlier than in the OTL. We get some different films than in OTL including Orson Wells Heart of Darkness and His unedited The Magnificent Ambersons as well as additional science fiction and Fantasy film.
I was looking at the old Superman films because I did segments on the Old Movie Series and Republic Television doing both a Batman and the Superman TV series.

I currently looking at The Adaption of the Lord of the Rings Novels and The Hobbit, including the 1958 3 hour version produce by George Pal and Directed by Anthony Mann and the 1960's BBC version.

It is a lot of fun. Please check it out and let me know what you think.

Only if a dozen of you continually insist on my bringing Spock back for the miniseries and refuse to acknowledge the possibility that his presence might be butterflied :p

Now there's a challenge !

Along with the Tellarites. (Now there's a race that really needed a better makeup job IOTL :eek:)

Too true.

Surely you of all people are aware that most British people did watch other shows in the late 1970s IOTL? ;)

Let's see, British tv highlights of 1978 include the first broadcast of:

• Blakes 7 - of course.
  • All Creatures Great and Small
  • Grange Hill
  • Top Gear - a far more serious programme in those days, long before the advent of Clarkson.
  • Butterflies
  • Return of the Saint
  • Edward & Mrs Simpson
  • James Burke's Connections

It was also the fifteenth anniversary of the first broadcast of Doctor Who.

A couple of fun facts from 1977 is that it was the first year when there were more Colour TV licenses sold than Black-and-White. It was also the year that some-one hijacked the sound of the Southern TV broadcast of the ITN news and broadcast a message claiming to be Vrillon of the Intergalactic Association.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Brainbin said:
300,000 views which is rapidly approaching
Counting them one by one...:p
Brainbin said:
Well, perhaps they could come to terms of a common copyright policy - that way anyone living in either country could see all works produced in both of them!
Hmm... Good luck with that.:p
Brainbin said:
Two words: swivel chairs :D
Three words: backs to camera.:confused: (Also, "set design": if the idea is to have your players facing the camera, even while looking at their instruments, & each other....:rolleyes:)
Brainbin said:
Well, if it's any consolation
It's not.:mad: (Note: not a hockey fan, either, so chances are I'd never actually see a game.)
Brainbin said:
Surely you of all people are aware that most British people did watch other shows in the late 1970s IOTL? ;)
Really?:p (OK, yes, "The Sweeney".;):cool:)
Brainbin said:
Only if a dozen of you continually insist on my bringing Spock back for the miniseries and refuse to acknowledge the possibility that his presence might be butterflied :p
Count me first, then.:p (Actually: Let him stay dead.:eek: Let Leonard direct.:cool:)
Brainbin said:
The Silver Age was a different time, obviously, because Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane has since acquired something of a "reputation"
That really is about the aging fandom. Recycling stories suitable for 10yr olds wasn't cutting it anymore...:rolleyes:
Asharella said:
OTL Genesis II. To my surprise Wikipedia says there were two pilots TV movies for it and the second one was called Planet Earth. I only remember one. But in my memory it starred John Saxon and it had Mariette Hartley with two navels. But Saxon was in Planet Earth, while Hartley with two navels was in Genesis II. But I remember watching one film. Plus this isn't like I was real young in grade school. I saw Genesis II the spring of my senior year in High School and Planet Earth the spring of my freshman year in college. Yet my memory has conflated two events separated by a year into one.
You're not the only one...:eek: I saw them both first-run, too, & was sure they were related. (This was when the U.S. networks were running wheel shows, with "Columbo" & "McCloud", so...)
Asharella said:
Kirk wasn't quite as cute since he was getting a little fat in the tummy.
Legend has it you can tell how far along the season was by that...;)

And did everybody notice that but me?:eek::confused::eek:
Asharella said:
I am hoping you put them wherever you put questions like that and answer them when you get to them. :D
You learn fast.;)
Asharella said:
I'm less interested in quick answers here and more interested in bringing up questions so you might address them in updates.
Join the club.;)
Asharella said:
That was GREAT seeing those old Lois Lane covers.
Were you too old for The Cat? And did you ever see Patsy Walker?
Asharella said:
Here's my list of my favorite actresses to play Lois listed in order from best to least favorite.

1) Erica Durance. (I wasn't a fan at first, but she grew on me.)
2) Noel Neill (My first Lois and always number one on this list until Erica finally won me over)
3) Terry Hatcher (She got her name before Clark's! She was a great Lois)
4) Margot Kidder (I never really liked her, but still she seemed to be Lois)
6) Kate Bosworth (I don't know who this girl was playing, but she wasn't Lois Lane)
7) Phylis Coates (Bottom of the list because I haven't yet seen her portrayal of Lois)
Ah, I smell another poll.:p So let me add mine:
  1. Terry Hatcher (Really the only Lois, IMO. To be fair, my first exposure, too.)
  2. two
  3. Erica Durance (She grew on me, too.)
  4. four
  5. five
  6. six
  7. seven
  8. eight
  9. Margot Kidder (Bad casting, IMO.)
  10. Anybody else
The others make no impression on me at all...
NCW8 said:
British tv highlights of 1978 include the first broadcast of:

Return of the Saint
James Burke's Connections
I kind of liked Ogilvy as Templar.

And "Connections" was a delight.:cool: (Tho I liked "Day the Universe Changed" better.:cool::cool:)

Were you too old for The Cat? And did you ever see Patsy Walker?

I stopped reading comics in Middle School. Back then they were only really for kids and I wasn't a kid anymore. So since The Cat and Patsy Walker are unfamiliar to me, I must have been too old.

But I started reading them again in the late Eighties. My oldest son liked this cartoon version of a teenager on TV who flamed up after merging with some older professor and I started buying Firestorm for him. Then came Crisis on Infinite Earths and The Dark Knight and I was hooked again.

As I check this thread, there's 299,999 views listed. With the view I conducted on the way in to post this, I'd like to be the first to congratulate the Brainbin on his success in getting this to come this far. And just think, all this because of That Wacky Redhead!

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
Odd that, as it still says 299,999 when I checked. :confused:

Nevertheless it can't be long before TWR passes another notable milestone. Congratulations, Brainbin. :cool:

Falkenburg

Odd that, as it still says 299,999 when I checked. :confused:
It only updates once an hour, so I may not actually be view 300,000. Maybe you are, or maybe the 300,000th view lies within us all. Let us meditate upon this...perhaps it will bring enlightenment? (Or a fresh update!)

300,063!:cool::cool:

Congrats, BB.:cool:

Asharella said:
I stopped reading comics in Middle School. Back then they were only really for kids and I wasn't a kid anymore. So since The Cat and Patsy Walker are unfamiliar to me, I must have been too old.

But I started reading them again in the late Eighties. My oldest son liked this cartoon version of a teenager on TV who flamed up after merging with some older professor and I started buying Firestorm for him. Then came Crisis on Infinite Earths and The Dark Knight and I was hooked again.
By the sound of it, you never read Marvel, which might help explain it. Patsy was around 1967, IIRC, & Cat #1 about 1970, one of the only superhero books written by a woman (& I believe the first). I only know about Patsy at all because she did a bit in Avengers, & ended up in The Cat's old outfit under a new name.

I did read a couple of ish of Firestorm & found him kind of interesting, but too improbable for me...

FYI, I stared on Flash way back when I was about 5, then discovered Marvel & was a dedicated Marvel Zombie til Marv & George did TNT (& if it hadn't been for George's gorgeous pencils, which I remembered from Avengers, &'d never have looked at it:eek::rolleyes:), by which time I was about 20. And then I found the direct stuff, & Scout, & Sable...:cool::cool::cool: And Watchmen.:cool::cool::cool: (I missed half of them,:eek: but I got the graphic novel as a gift the year it came out.:cool:)

I wish I'd had more time then; Everything just went the wrong way. I loved Static, & a lot of the Milestone stuff, but just was too busy to keep up. & The Xmen got too grimdark, JLI & JLE stopped being fun, Morrison quit DP, Grell quit Sable, Truman finished War Shaman...& I haven't read anything much since.:(:(

Last edited:
By the sound of it, you never read Marvel, which might help explain it.

Actually just about the time I quit reading comics I went with my father to a barbershop while he got his haircut and there were comics there and they were all unfamiliar to me. I guess the supermarket and drug store that I bought comics at didn't carry them.

I was really intrigued with Captain America, Sub Mariner and Iron Man. I also found some Classics Illustrated. I think that one was the Count of Monte Cristo.

I understand that is the normal age that fanboys switched from D.C. to Marvel. Instead for me it was more an introduction to an intriguing set of new comics just when I was giving up comics.

I used to read Spider-Man in the Sunday and daily comic strips in our newspaper.

So when I started reading comics again in the late '80s one of the books I collected was Cap. But my real exposure was watching X-Men cartoons with my kids in the '90s.

Really?:p (OK, yes, "The Sweeney".;):cool:)

The last season of The Sweeney was broadcast in 1978, along with Z Cars. The Professionals arrived on UK screens in 1977, if that's any compensation.

Count me first, then.:p (Actually: Let him stay dead.:eek: Let Leonard direct.:cool:)

:D Nimoy as director would be a good choice.

I kind of liked Ogilvy as Templar.

Me too. I actually prefer him to Moore, even though he was chosen to resemble him. The series was originally going to be Son of the Saint.

And "Connections" was a delight.:cool: (Tho I liked "Day the Universe Changed" better.:cool::cool:)

On the whole, I did as well. Connections showed the history of science/technology in an entertaining way, but Day the Universe Changed was more thought-provoking.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Last edited:
Asharella said:
Actually just about the time I quit reading comics I went with my father to a barbershop while he got his haircut and there were comics there and they were all unfamiliar to me. I guess the supermarket and drug store that I bought comics at didn't carry them.
Could be. Don't think Cat ever ran very long, & IDK how well distributed the romance books were; I never saw any at my local as a kid.
Asharella said:
I was really intrigued with Captain America, Sub Mariner and Iron Man. I also found some Classics Illustrated. I think that one was the Count of Monte Cristo.
Never saw the Classics Illustrated on the racks, & only ever read IM; never liked Subby, & never got into Cap much. More Spidey, particularly Spectacular, (new) Xmen (after Giant #1), some Mar-Vell, & Guardians; especially liked Champions, myself. The Spotlight Ghost Rider (the debut, with art, & I still can't believe it, by Zeck:eek::eek:) was proably my fave of all, tho: if they'd kept him that way...:cool::cool: I also really liked the idea of Nova (very Spideyesque, like Static later).
Asharella said:
I understand that is the normal age that fanboys switched from D.C. to Marvel. Instead for me it was more an introduction to an intriguing set of new comics just when I was giving up comics.
Couldn't say. I just found the continuing stories more interesting.
Asharella said:
I used to read Spider-Man in the Sunday and daily comic strips in our newspaper.
Never one for the strips. Tho I do read Hagar, Wizard of Id, & Garfield every time I buy the paper (which isn't all the time).
Asharella said:
So when I started reading comics again in the late '80s one of the books I collected was Cap.
Never got into the directs, then? You missed some really good stuff.:eek:
NCW8 said:
The last season of The Sweeney was broadcast in 1978, along with Z Cars. The Professionals arrived on UK screens in 1977, if that's any compensation.
We got them in reverse order, then, back when CBC Late Night was actually worth watching.:rolleyes:
NCW8 said:
Me too. I actually prefer him to Moore, even though he was chosen to resemble him.
Not the perfect choice, maybe, but better. That said, I never really liked Moore except for ffolkes (for which he was perfect); not bad as Watson.
NCW8 said:
The series was originally going to be Son of the Saint.
:eek:
NCW8 said:
On the whole, I did as well. Connections showed the history of science/technology in an entertaining way, but Day the Universe Changed was more thought-provoking.
It really was.:cool: All the way through, I was thinking, "This is how you teach history.":cool::cool::cool:

Connections is one of my most beloved shows of all time. I recall liking both shows, but liking Connections more. Of course, I re-watched Connections fairly recently where as I have not seen Day the Universe Changed in forever, so that may bias me. With space being more in the public interest, I wonder if Burke will even do Connections? He may be more involved in doing space related programming for the BBC and his schedule may not work out to do Connections. Or it might come later. Or it might be more space focused, though at this point Moonshot Lunacy is over with... I guess it largely depends on how much time he spent developing the series and what he did with that time in this timeline.

Connections is one of my most beloved shows of all time. I recall liking both shows, but liking Connections more. Of course, I re-watched Connections fairly recently where as I have not seen Day the Universe Changed in forever, so that may bias me. With space being more in the public interest, I wonder if Burke will even do Connections? He may be more involved in doing space related programming for the BBC and his schedule may not work out to do Connections. Or it might come later. Or it might be more space focused, though at this point Moonshot Lunacy is over with... I guess it largely depends on how much time he spent developing the series and what he did with that time in this timeline.

I speculated a little on this back in May. If ITV broadcast James Doohan's The Final Frontier, then the BBC would be prompted to make their own programme dealing with space and related technologies. Due to his reporting of Apollo, Burke would be the obvious candidate to present that. This would butterfly away his studio-based series, The Burke Special and might cover some of the same ground as Connections.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Well Brainbin, with the appointment of Tim Scott to fill the United States Senate seat of Jim DeMint from South Carolina, your scenario has beaten real-life by 36 years in getting the first African-American Senator from the South since Reconstruction! :)

(For those who don't remember, in this timeline Charles Evers was narrowly elected to the Senate from Mississippi in 1976 after a crowded, four-way race in the general election.)