Swords of the Iroquois

This chapter is basically the same thing that was in the preview thread, only completely rewritten and cleaned up (you guys on that thread could have told me that I accidentally included the Tuscarora in Thorkill’s listing of the tribes); I’ve decided on a format—a series of narratives spread throughout the history of the Haudenosaunee—and am about to begin work on the second chapter. Right now I’m not too concerned about jumping backwards and forwards in time—I figure that if I do it and then decide I don’t like the disjointed style, I can always change it in a “version 2.0”.

Seriously, though, I can’t stress this enough: critiquing, suggestions, and resources (mainly on European and North American cultures of the relevant time periods) would be extremely helpful. I still only have half an idea of what I’m doing here. At the very least tell me tell me if you think it’s any good; it’s very hard to keep enthusiasm for an idea going if I don’t think anyone’s reading.

1.1: In the Beginning…

Ayenwatha walked calmly into position, and stood in front of the assembled men, the assembled sachems—the first ever Great Council of the Haudenosaunee. It would have been simpler if they hadn’t of decided that, unfortunately, the unanimous consent rule would be unwise, but as it was the debate over how to set up the council was settled by Jingosaseh’s suggestion to split the difference; the council had a “Sword Arm” which had two sachems from each tribe, and a “Shield Arm” which had varying numbers of sachems based on the population of each tribe. Heh. Sword arm and shield arm; a Norse concept. He looked at Daganawidah for moral support, who nodded in encouragement, and spoke:

“My brothers, chances are you have already guessed the subject on which I have chosen to open this meeting with. After all did Daganawidah an myself not, in our efforts to recruit your nations into this greater nation, use not only the metaphor of the bundle of arrows to signify how strong we could be if we stood together, but also the Norse as an example of what happened when we stood apart?

“Of course we did. No one can deny that the Norse are powerful warriors whose access to ironmongery gives them superior weapons an armor, or that their fearsome skinwalkers hardly need such advantages, but in the natural course of events they would never have acquired territory in the Dawn Lands; their homeland is very far away, the journey here is long, and so their presence here has always been small, so even if they ever managed to conquer a town or two, that town’s allies’ retaliation would be swift and ultimately deadly. Does not the example of Old Vinland prove that?

“Fortuitously for the Norse, however, they did not have to conquer anything! In the day of my grandfather, when Norse traders came to visit Chief Agetshahnit of the Mohawk he took notice of the quality of their weapons and armor, and offered them land if they could bring him more such men to fight for him. And, as we all know, in the years since the Norse have been fighting for whomever offers them the most land or best trade agreements. Why do we let them get away with this?”

“The answer, alas, is quite simple. They just are so damned useful! There is of course their obvious value as warriors, but also they have brought us many useful things; wheat and other crops, goats and sheep, pigs and ponies, and cows most recently of all. Iron itself need not be made into only swords, but can also be used in plows, all of this greatly increasing the yield of our farms, and true writing allows us to keep better track of records.

“And now, you probably have also guessed, is the part where I ask you to vote to go to war. Maybe with the Great Peacemaker or myself named as general, which would be something of an irony.” Ayenwatha paused for laughter. “That’s not what I’m going to do, however.” He paused for exclamations of disbelief.

“Not at this juncture, at any rate; even the Great Peacemaker understands that war is sometimes necessary! And this war, while it would mean an unfortunate loss of young men, would be a war we would win. Our victory would by pyrrhic, however, as when we lose the Norse we lose the only people in the Dawnlands who know the secrets of forging iron and create an enemy of the most powerful traders in the region. While their numbers are still small, they are larger than ever before, and the Norse know our neighbors at least as well as we do, including their strengths and weaknesses—what’s to stop them from simply crossing Lake Ontario and conquering one of the lesser tribes on the northern shore? It would be an easier task than sending all these people home. And even if they fail in the endeavor and have to go home, all it takes is for another leader like old Agetshahnit for them to be back—and as soon as either of these things happen, we have a powerful rival with a grudge against us in the region.

“Now you ask yourselves: ‘Surely he would not bring this up just to tell us that we’re doomed?’ And you are right. I do have a solution to propose. One that is quite simple and elegant, as a matter of fact…”

# # # # #​

On the road from Syracuse to Vanadsthorpe, two men rode ponies. The men wore the hoods of their greatcloaks up to protect them from the on-again-off-again drizzle, and not a sound could be heard but for the sound of shod hooves on split logs.

“You’ve been quiet,” Deganiwidah observed.

“I do well and truly hate having to deal with that man,” Ayenwatha said, his eyes not leaving the road in front of him.

“I have no idea whom you could possibly mean,” Deganawidah commented dryly; his friend snorted. “Seriously, though, you composed yourself quite admirably.”

“I nearly choked on bile every time Tododaho spoke.”

“One wouldn’t have known it from looking at you.”

“Oh, really?

The Great Peacemaker grinned. “One who wasn’t me, at any rate.”

Ayenwatha snorted. “Heh.”

Daganawidah looked sympathetically at his friend. “It truly is admirable that you can stand to deal with him, you know. It is easy for someone whose life is not in danger and who has never lost a loved one to preach about peace, but for a man who has lost so much as you to stay to his conviction in peace takes much rarer strength. Indeed, that is a strength I hope very few ever have to find out if they have! Men say that I am touched by Haghwediyu, but you are the one who is truly, I think.”

“Yeah, well, even if I strangled him, it wouldn’t bring my daughters back. All it would accomplish would be to create a whole lot more grieving fathers and mothers. The cycle of violence ends now, or it will likely never end.” Ayenwatha paused, considering his words. “Well, no, I take that back. It will end when the Vikings own everything. I suppose that’s a slightly better outcome, but still, I prefer our way.”

# # # # #​

A deep voice boomed from over the town wall: “Thorkill Bjornsson! We are Deganawidah and Ayenwatha! Come out and greet us to your village!”

Thorkill jogged over to the gate and mouthed the words “How many?” to the sentry, who held up two fingers; Thorkill nodded, and the gates began to open. Two large Skraeling men stood without, holding the tethers to their mounts. He noticed that their cloaks were of Viking cut, while his own manner of dress was more akin to what was traditional in this corner of the world, ironically.

“Deganawidah and Ayenwatha. Your exploits are legendary in your own time. I welcome you to my village,” Thorkill greated.

“Deganawidah and I are honored to accept your invitation,” one, apparently Ayenwatha, said. They entered the village and a guard led their horses away.

“How goes your quest?” Thorkill probed politely. In his head, he began once again to go over the strategic situation. Numbers-wise, things were bad. Location-wise, things were even worse; Viking holdings in this land were scattered piece-and-parcel throughout.

“It goes well,” Deganawidah said. “Tadodaho has joined with us.”

Thorkill’s heart sank. Tododaho had been the last holdout, the last potential ally of the Norse in these lands, and now that he was with the Haudenosaunee…They are here to deliver a declaration of war.Well, no, maybe not; maybe they were just here to evict the Vikings. He’d better see which they wanted; any time he could glean for his preparations would be invaluable. “I congratulate you on the completion of your quest.”

“I thank you, but your congratulations are in error, for my quest is not complete. There is but one more people in this land whom I must convince to join with us, but I have hopes to resolve the situation soon.” Daganawidah said.

Another tribe? Thorkill’s mind raced: they already had the Mohawk, the Oneida, the Onondaga, the Cayuga, and the Seneca. Who else was there? He asked.

Deganawidah smiled. “New Vinland.”

Thorkill’s eyes widened. “You want us to join the Haudenosaunee?”

“And why not? If we expelled you, we’d lose much of your iron and trade; it would be unfortunate to see it go to our enemies.” Ayenwatha said.

“So it’s better to have the Norse on the inside pissing out than on the outside pissing in, is what you’re saying,” Thorkill said dryly.

“Yes,” Deganawidah said bluntly. “Taking the offer would be…somewhat beneficial, shall we say?…for you as well.” He glanced around meaningfully. “This is a nice village.”

“That it is, and well-defended,” Thorkill agreed neutrally. “Anyone who tried to take it would suffer dearly for it.”

“Both sides would suffer dearly for it. Which is yet another reason that you should join with us,” Daganawidah said.

Ayenwatha pulled a scroll out of his satchel. “You do not need to decide right away, but you should at least read the Great Law of Peace. New Vinland would be a full member.” He handed Thorkill the scroll.

Thorkill scanned the document; it was written in Norse, which was convenient of them. It was a surprisingly good deal. Until he got to how sachem were chosen. “You think I’ll get people to agree to this?”

Deganawidah smiled. “Your people have been living alongside ours for two generations and change; I think it’ll be easier than you think.”

Last edited:
I liked it the first time, and I like it now- I think calling then New Vinland is less genuine than "Norse", which would be more tribal. I say call them the Norse.

Some specific things I would desperately like to get my hands on is information about neighboring cultures and the resources of the area (specifically, where gold and iron can be found).

You should just keep the colony as Vinland, rather then vinland 2.0. A farther POD always makes for the most interesting story.

Presumably you intend to explain at some point how the Norse came to settle upstate New York yet (apparently) did not do it by expanding from existing and stronger settlements along the St. Lawrence River out to the Gulf of St. Lawrence. The entire river valley up to the Gaspé is prime, tho ITTL densely forested, farmland that would be attractive to Norse settlers. Also, when you talk of population, are you using numbers reported by OTL European explorers/settlers, after the first diseases of the Columbian Exchange had swept through, or a pre-1491 population base that would be considerably larger?

Language map:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/Langs_N.Amer.png

I imagine iron can be found where it was found historically- near Pittburgh and other American industrial sites.
Thanks for the thought, but that appears to be language families. Better than nothing, I suppose, but alas. Also, search engines seem to hate me.
You should just keep the colony as Vinland, rather then vinland 2.0. A farther POD always makes for the most interesting story.
Firstly, I have a whole thread consisting mainly of people telling me why that would be implausible. Secondly, we know a heck of a lot less about the Indians who lived around Aux-a-Medows at the time than we do about the Iroquois. Thirdly, it would be hard for the Iroquois to conquer them, then.
Very interesting start of a TL.
Thank you. :)
Presumably you intend to explain at some point how the Norse came to settle upstate New York yet (apparently) did not do it by expanding from existing and stronger settlements along the St. Lawrence River out to the Gulf of St. Lawrence. The entire river valley up to the Gaspé is prime, tho ITTL densely forested, farmland that would be attractive to Norse settlers.
Yes--and heavilly populated with people who would object to them taking their lands. It happened like Ayenwatha said--the Norse settled in the lands of the Haudenosaunee because that's where they found people who were willing to give them land.
Also, when you talk of population, are you using numbers reported by OTL European explorers/settlers, after the first diseases of the Columbian Exchange had swept through, or a pre-1491 population base that would be considerably larger?
The latter of course, though I'm thinking about 75% of that in order to adjust for the time.

On the road from Syracuse to Vanadsthorpe, two men rode ponies. ...

Um, Syracuse? Why would any Iroquoian speakers be naming anything "Syracuse?"

Is it a coincidence that the language happens to contain such a place name? Even if that's the case I'd spell it differently to emphasize that it's an Iroquois word and not named after the Sicilian city in European settler fashion. "Serakoos" or whatever the accepted modern OTL standards of rendering it would be.

Even the Norse would not be naming settlements after Classical Mediterranean history the way Americans would centuries later (OTL, presumably not here). It's conceivable to me that with extended Norse contact some more general European knowledge is filtering through to the Nordics and thence to Native Americans, including literacy (that's in the post right, the constitution/treaty offered to the Norse is in Old Norse, presumably written in the Latin alphabet--and merely saying that implies it could have been written in Iroquoian instead, implying they adopted the alphabet and there are at least a few Natives who correspond and record things in writing). And so perhaps a few texts that have some history/legend as known to medieval Europeans. So they might actually know what Syracuse refers to.

Hey, would these Norse actually be keeping track of Norman adventures, counting the Normans as kin, and would this be after the Norse kingdom of Sicily is established?

Still, clearly Deganiwidah and Ayenwatha are coming from the Haudenosaunee meeting place, so while it might not be out of the question for the Norse to be naming things after places in Sicily, I don't see why any Haudenosaunee would do any such thing!

I presume you say this so the modern reader of OTL will have some clue where this is happening geographically the way you have them mention "Lake Eire." But it would be better to use the Haudenosaunee word and inform us in footnotes or OC asides what places these names refer to.

After all it isn't clear yet to me where "Vanadsthorpe" is!

And Vanadsthorpe is another colonial name! I'd say on the road from the Onondaga (this is where the fire was located) to something-burg or gard.

Fuck yeah. This is one of those ideas that have half-floated around here and there, but no one's ever properly made a timeline out of it before. (We don't even see standalone Iroquois timelines, unfortunately.) Please conversational. I also like your writing style, very conversational and colorful. Definitely loving the dialogue.

And Vanadsthorpe is another colonial name! I'd say on the road from the Onondaga (this is where the fire was located) to something-burg or gard.

Oh. "Vanadsthorpe" seemed at least halfway plausible as a Nordic placename to me; I don't know whether the "-thorpe" element is just English though. The proper name part of it, well I thought somewhere in the back of my mind the element "vanadium" had a Scandinavian-based name, and lo and behold Wikipedia says:

So I figured the place might have been given that name by the Norse settlers ITTL.

Obviously if it's a modern place being indicated, it is out of bounds to have the Norse naming both places the same names they happen to have OTL, even if both place names are plausible for somewhere ITTL!

"Freyagard" might be a very reasonable name for a Nordic settlement on the lake indeed, if these Norse have remained Aesirc pagans. If they are Christian converts they wouldn't dare use a pagan name like that openly, though perhaps if it already had the name they conceivably might keep it after converting.

I'd think that after coming from Iceland or even Norway, and stopping in places like Greenland and Newfoundland and finding the native peoples between there and the lake too hostile to deal with, a nice stretch of Lake Erie's southern shores might indeed look like a domain of the Goddess! And the growing conditions for crops have to be superior to more northerly settlements they might have tried. Hence, Freya.

If something on the spectrum between "Freya" and "Vanadis" is plausible for the likely dialect these people would be speaking, then it might come a lot closer to "Vanadsthorpe" than we might think, especially if the "-thorpe" element has close analogs in North Germanic languages generally and isn't just an Anglo-Saxon quirk.

Again--not if there's a place with that very name in OTL upper New York State!

But I just did a Google search, it would have to be some tiny tiny town indeed--first it redirected me to "Vanessa Thorpe":p and then when when I insisted on the search I actually did paste in, guess where it took me?

Right back to this very thread, "Swords of the Iroquois," that's where!:D

Adding new york to the search didn't turn up any OTL towns either.

Neither did looking at a Google map of Syracuse and vicinity and zooming in to a level where I could see individual streets. There's neighborhoods and roads named for John Glenn, but not any Vanadsthorpe!

"Vanadsthorpe" apparently can stay, if we can justify the "-thorpe" suffix.

And look at this!

Freyathorp is a perfectly reasonable Norse settler place name then, and having it mutate to Vanadsthorpe or be derived originally from such a variant on Freya's name seems kosher too. I'm no linguist of course; this is the sort of question I'd like to be able to ask J.R.R. Tolkien!

That's why "Syracuse" spelled just that way threw me so much though. I figured it was a mix of modern OTL and ITTL names in one phrase. That appears to be just the case, unless smjb can explain why the Haudenosaunee would use that name, and apply it to the very same place US settlers did OTL, neither of which seems plausible at all

My guess now is that Vanadsthorpe is somewhere near where Oswego is OTL, considering the modern town is at the mouth of the river flowing past Onondaga to the lake.

By the way I haven't had any luck yet finding out what the Haudenosaunee called Lake Eire; I was surprised to learn the Europeans named it after the Eire tribe and that tribe name is a shortened form of their actual name for themselves, not as I'd always thought after the lake which I'd assumed was named after some romantic variation on "Ireland."

So again AH is good for provoking learning of obscure and surprising facts about OTL.

I guess it's about 50/50 the Haudenosaunee would call the lake after that same people--on one hand they were there first, on the other it was the Haudenosaunee who expelled them! Well, the Norman conquerors went on calling themselves the kingdom of "England" and the island was still called "Britain" so I guess Haudenosaunee might have called the lake after the Eire themselves. But I think it's equally likely they had a completely different name for it.

Um, Syracuse? Why would any Iroquoian speakers be naming anything "Syracuse?"

Is it a coincidence that the language happens to contain such a place name? Even if that's the case I'd spell it differently to emphasize that it's an Iroquois word and not named after the Sicilian city in European settler fashion. "Serakoos" or whatever the accepted modern OTL standards of rendering it would be.
Because that's the name of the place in English. We don't call Rome Roma or Spain España, after all; I'm also calling a number of the tribes by "non-proper" names, such as the Seneca (Onondowahgah).
I presume you say this so the modern reader of OTL will have some clue where this is happening geographically the way you have them mention "Lake Eire." But it would be better to use the Haudenosaunee word and inform us in footnotes or OC asides what places these names refer to.
Maybe. I'll certainly consider it.
I thought so too, but a little research indicates no. That's more of a German thing. "Thorpe" is actually Norse for "village", and Vanads is another name of the goddess Freya (the people who founded New Vinland were Christians, but they weren't too far removed from their Pagan roots).

@ Shevek:

Wow! I'm flattered that you put so much thought into my timeline. Vanadsthorpe is a made-up town, though; the Mohawk would hardly have evacuated one of their own towns just so the Norse would have somewhere to live, after all! Hence why it has a properly Norse name instead of an American one.

@ Shevek:

Wow! I'm flattered that you put so much thought into my timeline. Vanadsthorpe is a made-up town, though; the Mohawk would hardly have evacuated one of their own towns just so the Norse would have somewhere to live, after all! Hence why it has a properly Norse name instead of an American one.

No matter where they went, the Norse were going to displace someone. I guess you are holding that the Haudenosaunee are the kind of people who are willing to negotiate terms on this kind of subject (as evidenced by their adoption of a sixth tribe who came as refugees and donating territory to them OTL), and that's why the Norse came so far south and west.

For what it's worth nothing I've found online points to any substantial settlement at Oswego's site prior to the British founding of Fort Oswego. The fact that it has a Native name suggests the site had some cultural significance to someone who lived their, presumably Haudenosaunee. And just because online sources I found in just a few seconds don't acknowledge an actual Native town there doesn't prove there wasn't one. :eek:

It could be though that the land now called Oswego was pretty much wide open for Norse settlement and they didn't displace many people at all.

Or of course you could want Vanadsthorpe to be somewhere else entirely; I just figured it would be on the lake shore somewhere and Oswego is the closest place, and on the mouth of a river too. All the more reason to guess there was a substantial Haudenosaunee village there but perhaps differing native versus Norse farming methods made the site attractive to European cultivators but not Native American. Or they just hadn't got around to settling an admittedly prime piece of land.

Oh well, just tell us where Vanadsthorpe is then!

And what do the Norse call *America? Certainly not that! Westland? They wouldn't extend the Vinland name to the whole continent would they?

No matter where they went, the Norse were going to displace someone. I guess you are holding that the Haudenosaunee are the kind of people who are willing to negotiate terms on this kind of subject (as evidenced by their adoption of a sixth tribe who came as refugees and donating territory to them OTL), and that's why the Norse came so far south and west.

For what it's worth nothing I've found online points to any substantial settlement at Oswego's site prior to the British founding of Fort Oswego. The fact that it has a Native name suggests the site had some cultural significance to someone who lived their, presumably Haudenosaunee. And just because online sources I found in just a few seconds don't acknowledge an actual Native town there doesn't prove there wasn't one. :eek:

It could be though that the land now called Oswego was pretty much wide open for Norse settlement and they didn't displace many people at all.

Or of course you could want Vanadsthorpe to be somewhere else entirely; I just figured it would be on the lake shore somewhere and Oswego is the closest place, and on the mouth of a river too. All the more reason to guess there was a substantial Haudenosaunee village there but perhaps differing native versus Norse farming methods made the site attractive to European cultivators but not Native American. Or they just hadn't got around to settling an admittedly prime piece of land.

Oh well, just tell us where Vanadsthorpe is then!

And what do the Norse call *America? Certainly not that! Westland? They wouldn't extend the Vinland name to the whole continent would they?
That is extremely fascinating--I shall look into Oswego immediately. Alas, I have no idea what the Norse would call North America as a whole. Yet.
Wait is Vinland 2.0 in its OTL place or is it elsewhere?
It's in the Haudenosaunee lands--northern New York. It's quite a trip, hence why emigration has been slow.

EDIT:
Haven't gotten very far into the research, but Oswego appears to be in Seneca territory, if I'm reading the map right and my info is correct, and I'd prefer Vanadsthorpe to be in Mohawk territory. (There could be another Norse village on the site, but Vanadsthorpe is the capital.)

Last edited:
I'm thinking of going back and editing the list of Haudenosaunee nations to include the Erie and the Wendat on the theory that Dagonawidah would be able to spread his message of peace farther than he had IOTL due to his access to horses. What do y'all think? Good idea or not?

Anyway, I figure I'd better include most of the footnote from the preview thread, as it explains some things:
As for the seemingly out of place skinwalker comment, Norse bear-shirts and wolf-coats (which are usually called berserkers, on account of that being where the word comes from) are classified as a type of skinwalker by the people who study these things for a living; they believe they are literally channeling the spirit of their totem animal. I don’t think the Iroquois “had” any of their own, but they were probably at least aware of the concept from their neighbors.

The structure of the Great Council will be different than it is IOTL; for one thing, it is designed from the beginning to include a potentially hostile minority who may end up having to be coerced into joining, so the unanimous consent rule is gone, which in turn means that the constituent powers can’t have wildly varying numbers of sachems. Also, Deganawidah is aware of and has studied the structure of the Althing, so may have incorporated features that he likes.

Speaking of Deganawidah, is it realistic that he and Ayenwatha still exist despite everything that’s been changed in their homeland over the last approximate century? Frankly, no. But how do you know that these aren’t completely different people who just so happen to have the same names and do the same things at the time that they’re reported to have done them? (That’s also my excuse for any unique quirks I give my version of these guys—such as Deganawida’s Holmesian skills at deduction only without his fear of astronomy (I wanted to keep as close to the legend as I could and this is the only way I could account for such convenient timing of the eclipse). So tempted to write a murder mystery now…)

IOTL the colonies had a major problem with people running off to join the Indians. I figure that the tendency would be less strong in the Norse, coming from a less restrictive background, but also there would be fewer colonists so they’d still have to adapt to survive.

Did I forget anything? Oh, right—the year is 1142[.]

I'm thinking of going back and editing the list of Haudenosaunee nations to include the Erie and the Wendat on the theory that Dagonawidah would be able to spread his message of peace farther than he had IOTL due to his access to horses. What do y'all think? Good idea or not?

He can spread the message further, but whether more distant tribes would care for his idea, and whether the first iteration of the federation could manage a very wide geographic area, seems doubtful to me. Plus, having foreign enemies to unite against could be very useful.

Great start, by the way! Keep up the good work!