Stargate during the 19th Century

Sekhmet was one of the cat goddesses.
Seth, Set, Sukteth was the Egyptian God of evil, and one of the basis of Lucifer. In the StarGate Universe, he had stayed on Earth, and built cults around himself. In this group of stories, he would be best to have a cult in an out of the way place. Two best bets, the American Frontiere, or in Australia.

A nice group to use for a 19th Century version of the Trust would be the Assassination Bureau. Check out the 1960's movie with Oliver Reed & Diana Rigg.

A nice person to add to the Stragate group, Professor George Edward Challenger. Also Allan Quatermaine and Lord John Roxton.

If there is no go'auld doesn't that mean there will be no humans on other worlds?

The Bedrosians and the Optricans: a pair of human-derived factions having a creationists vs. evolutionists war (here the 'creationists' are right - they DID come through the Stargate rather than having evolved on that planet). The Stargate was only recently discovered.
I was thinking of them when I was thinking of doing this. If they did find their SG early (maybe through earth dialing theirs and them picking up the underground disturbance?) then the war would not have yet started. All of the people in the base spoke of being children before it started and they were only around 40 or so.

The Replicators: self-replicating "No this is not a ripoff of the Borg" mechanical bugs who seek to increase their number at the cost of all your raw material;
Much less a rip off of the borg then the borg were a rip off of the cyber men.

Thande

Donor
Leej said:
Much less a rip off of the borg then the borg were a rip off of the cyber men.

So very, very true. :) The Cybermen are reported to be making a comeback in the next series of NewWho...

what about having the dasterly Norwegians through their polar explorer whatshisname find the 2nd stargate in the Antarctic, and hold an auction to sell it to the highest bidder? this would prob be a few decades after the first stargate is found though...

Leej said:
If there is no go'auld doesn't that mean there will be no humans on other worlds?
Their all dead was the orginal scenario, so I'd imgine anything that isn't directly reliant on the snakes to exsist (but engineered by them would be fine, I guess) would be gone. (Jaffa, Tok'ra, and Goa'uld) Their former tech might still be laying around like that of the Ancients. That said could we introduce about a Cold War *tech* enemy without nukes for an alien nemsis?

Thoughts on the Bad Guys..

How about the Chinese? we could then have a certain Dr Fu-Manchu in charge of their gate-his technology was always way in advance of everyone elses in the books and he had a strange habit of coming back from the dead...maybe he was really a Goa'uld? :)

Jason said:
How about the Chinese? we could then have a certain Dr Fu-Manchu in charge of their gate-his technology was always way in advance of everyone elses in the books and he had a strange habit of coming back from the dead...maybe he was really a Goa'uld? :)

Dr. Fu-Manchu, aka Emperor Yu, one of the eldest of the Goa'uld

How about this:The Stargate and DHD are dug up by the French during Napoleons Eygpt campaign. However only the DHD gets shipped back to France it being the smaller of the two. Nelson wins the Battle of the Nile and the Stargate is on of the spoils of war sent back to London. Faraday gets to see it, realizes it's made of an unknown metal and starts tickering with and finally gets a reaction. The centre goes all opaque for a couple of seconds when a set charge of electricity is applied.

Fast forward 70 years of research and all they can manage is to keep the centre opaque for as long as there is a current.The project has no worth and it's the Royal Society is about to shut it down when somebody realizes the connect the DHD now on display in the Louvre. After several offers to buy it are refused, a secret plan to steal it is put into play. The plan is both a success and a failure the DHD makes it to Britain but the Louvre and parts of Paris are destroyed by a diversionary fire. Worse one of the agents is caught and revealed to be British before being lynched by an angry mob.

The British government deny any knowledge of the events and try to smooth things out diplomatically. But the people of France demand revenge and words soon give way to war. At first it is just the British Empire v France but then that rest of the world starts to take side. The USA, Japan and Russia ally with France while Spain, Prussia and the Netherlands join with British side.

Not for me, I liked the idea of having a 19th Century Stargate, not really keen on a thread where the Stargate starts a 19th Century world war. Just can't go with the theft idea either, it almost imples that the British know what the gate is.

Also, why does everyone else get involved? In particular why Japan?

HARRY said:
How about this:The Stargate and DHD are dug up by the French during Napoleons Eygpt campaign. However only the DHD gets shipped back to France it being the smaller of the two. Nelson wins the Battle of the Nile and the Stargate is on of the spoils of war sent back to London. Faraday gets to see it, realizes it's made of an unknown metal and starts tickering with and finally gets a reaction. The centre goes all opaque for a couple of seconds when a set charge of electricity is applied.

Fast forward 70 years of research and all they can manage is to keep the centre opaque for as long as there is a current.The project has no worth and it's the Royal Society is about to shut it down when somebody realizes the connect the DHD now on display in the Louvre. After several offers to buy it are refused, a secret plan to steal it is put into play. The plan is both a success and a failure the DHD makes it to Britain but the Louvre and parts of Paris are destroyed by a diversionary fire. Worse one of the agents is caught and revealed to be British before being lynched by an angry mob.

The British government deny any knowledge of the events and try to smooth things out diplomatically. But the people of France demand revenge and words soon give way to war. At first it is just the British Empire v France but then that rest of the world starts to take side. The USA, Japan and Russia ally with France while Spain, Prussia and the Netherlands join with British side.

Diamond

Banned
I agree. Very good idea - an especially good setting for some of the big-brain writers like Chris or Thande to play around in...

Well I've all but forgot about it with stargate on TV going even sillier and the hype over the new series (yes it only existed in my head) dying down.
Having international involvment wouldn't be a good idea IMO, this would work best like the current stargate except with Victorian brits going through instead of the US military.

All of the pagans gods, save the Asgard and possibly the Incas, are Goa'uld.

Of course, now the Ori have entered the picture.

How would the Victorians handle someone like Vala?

This is a very good idea, and one that the board luckily does have a number of writers who are very capable of doing a good job with it. If the basics could be worked out, I think that this could be a great shared world writing exercise, like the old Thieves World anthologies, or the Heros in Hell anthologies, or the War of the Worlds:Global Dispatches anthology. There are some very talented writers here who could do well with this.

Wouldn't the initial Stargate activation take this British team to Abydos where Ra will detect the activation of the gate? I believe it wasn't until much later that Daniel Jackson discovered a chamber on that planet with a staggering amount of Gate addresses.

Anyway, if things run roughly the same, the British will not be able to have a nuke with them for Ra to send back through the Gate with the local mineral to destroy Earth. Either Ra will have a bomb of his own or he's going to decide to gather his fleet and head for Earth... at which point Earth is pretty much screwed. So either Ra will have a bomb of his own, or they'll have to seriously luck out as, well, as pretty much SG-1 does all the time.

When the British succeed, as they most assuredly will, I'd see them setting up operations on Abydos to mine the local mineral (naquadah?) to send back to Britain for research purposes. They'll undoubtedly also find that room with all the Gate addresses which will open up the galaxy to exploration and allow them to get their hands on all sorts of technology they won't even begin to understand (and likely piss off all sorts of Ga'ould along the way.)

>< i found this by google, but its last been posted in 2006 ( 2 years ago) i thought it was realy good, have it start a few years before or like a year before ww1, so britan is still an empire, and so we have all the weapons and Edison, tesla and the whole lot, with the war US gets invited by britian to help.

Gah! The thread necromancy! Hot dang! :D!

Well, since it's British Empire Stargate, my British Galactic Empire yearns to be reposted...:D

British Galaxy map.PNG

Gah! The thread necromancy! Hot dang! :D!

Well, since it's British Empire Stargate, my British Galactic Empire yearns to be reposted...:D

well im working in the confines of stargate atm, even with only a year of using the gate, assuming they get it to work (either it has a DHD or maunual) they would most likely have acess to gould tech from chulack since thats the adress on the coverstone, so WW1 would end real quick with britian having staff weapons.