ST: Thread for the discussion and elaboration of ST ideas and POD's

I'm not sure if it was J.J Abrams, or another member of the Star Trek crew, but I think he said that the Botany Bay is still out there somewhere

Has anyone else thought about how the temporal cold war probably set off many timelines. If this idea is thought through enough, each time there was an incursion, another timeline branch was created in the multi-verse.

Has anyone else thought about how the temporal cold war probably set off many timelines. If this idea is thought through enough, each time there was an incursion, another timeline branch was created in the multi-verse.

Not really, remember in Season 7's "Parallels" there are infinite other worlds out there for every decision ever. This is the problem with the Temporal Cold War, why bother mucking about with Time Travel if you could just as easily pop into your ideal alternate universe

Are you relating Spock and Shinzon because they both have interests in the Romulan Empire?

I have no reference for this. I do not remember encountering this. Is it from TOS? Which series is this?

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm sure Shinzon wouldn't have any use for Spock, but Spock would still have something to say and he'd be responding to the events of the movie, and there's no excuse...okay, maybe Nimoy didn't want to be in the movie, but I'm sure the (lack of) quality of the script would have been a factor.

I wish we'd been shown what Spock was doing. And the Romulans shouldn't have gone along with his ideas about invading the Federation.

And apparently he wants to destroy the Federation because he hates Picard because...? Never mind.

In the pilot episode "The Cage", we see a castle with a giant moon on Rigel 7. The scene is also seen in the first season episode "Menagerie". In the 3rd season episode "Requiem for Methuselah", Flint is living on another planet, and they use the same scene, a castle with a giant moon.

Flint also has some neat high tech gadgets.

There are several PODs for the ST universe. In the "Best of Trek" series of books by G. B. Love, somebody suggests a really good POD. In "City on the Edge of Forever", a bum shoots himself with McCoy's phaser. He had a son who grows up without a father, he kills Gene Roddenberry in a hit-and-run, Star Trek never exists. I don't remember the other results of that one.

The idea of genetic engineering to produce Khan might have been hype and exaggeration which Khan and his followers chose to believe. It might have been more like eugenic breeding. I'd like to point out that Khan's followers were multi-racial in the original episode at least. I don't remember seeing that much diversity in "The Wrath of Khan". So they weren't Nazis.

There could have been some geniuses who made some advances in genetic engineering. They could have doing some work in secret. I don't think they would have had accelerated growth-aging, so they would have been Ricardo Montalban's age when the Eugenics Wars started.

It seems likely the empire in the Mirror Universe was started by a victorious Khan. It too is multi-racial.

I'm sure the civilization of Ceti Alpha V would have been an adversary, but it would still be interesting.

One of the gaming supplements, I think, in the 80s, had a funny tale of first contact with the Tellarites, who tried to claim our solar system for the Tellarite Empire, and the human ship's captain had to deal with the situation very carefully.

Maybe that's why the Tellarites aren't our adversaries now.

So Vulcan is 15 lightyears from Earth. Do we have any idea how far Romulus is? What if Surak's followers had fled to Romulus, and we encounter the Romulans on their home planet of Vulcan, 15 lightyears from Earth?

How many people go with the books and the idea that Andorians have 4 genders?

Edit: Also, if sent back in time 1 starship in mint condition with full crew or a fleet of colony ships, what's the opinion or degree of a Federation wank?

Last edited:
From what I remember, the Tellarites don't like conflict, they just enjoy 'the argument' as it were. So, the Tellarite Captain probably claimed Sol "for the LolZ" to see what kind of verbal tet-a-tet he could have with whomever was sent to negotiate.

Instead of Praxis it was Remus. Would the Romulans pursue peace with the Federation?

Probably not. The Romulan Star Empire was pretty much out of dilithium anyway, hence the whole "artificial quantum singularity" power supply in TNG. The Klingon Empire relied on dilithium so Praxis going "poof!" was a huge blow. The Romulans have already more or less learned to live without/minimal amounts. Think of it as dilithium = petroleum. The Romulans were already running out hence they were developing alternatives. The Klingons were so focused on their military they did not consider the possibility.

The Excelsior did achieve Transwarp drive in 2278.

Considering the redesigned scales (from Warp Factors to simple Warp numbers) from TOS to TNG, i'd argue that the Excelsior's Transwarp drive did function eventually. Remember, TNG speeds would be considered fantastical for that time period. Perhaps when the Borg were encountered, with their even faster warp drive, the term was "resurrected" for this new hyper fast 'transwarp' drive.

How many people go with the books and the idea that Andorians have 4 genders?

Also, if sent back in time 1 starship in mint condition with full crew or a fleet of colony ships, what's the opinion or degree of a Federation wank?

Last does anyone have a picture of the Earth covered by the Borg like from First Contact?

The wiki says nothing about it. There is however a sub species which the Andorians could breed with successfully.

Source: Memory Alpha

Apocrypha Edit

In noncanonical novels by Pocket Books, Andorians have the four sexes; zhen, shen, chan, and thaan. In function and appearance, zhens and shens are largely female, and chans and thaans approximate males, with shens and chans the more androgynous of the pairings. In the postfinale novels of Deep Space Nine this quadrigender paradigm is cited as the reason for Andorian difficulty in maintaining adequate population growth in the face of near extinction. Andorian names in these works consist of two parts in the native tongue Andorii: a longish personal name shortened to the size of established series' names, and a clan name with a gender-denoting prefix -- for instance, TharinJar ch'Thas, a chan from Thas clan commonly known as Jar. Though this information is noncanon it is supported by Data's comment in TNG: "Data's Day" that "Andorian marriages require four people unless...."
Roleplaying author S. John Ross wrote an Andorian sourcebook for Last Unicorn Games' Trek RPG book Among the Clans: The Andorians. It expands the Andorian background in an interesting noncanon way, and details like the Andorian ushaan duel were adopted by Enterprise writers.
Several issues of DC's first Star Trek comic series featured Andorians with feather-like hair rather than the fine white hair other Andorians have always had. These included Thimon and Melchior.

Wow. I have never even heard of that. I really need to look into the Star Trek novels a little more.

I've read lots of them. Many of the originals which my mother had bought as well as all the books my local country library's (plural) have. :p Also been searching Memory Alpha constantly for two weeks now. Especially looking up Andorians and many other races for my timeline.

So what do you think of wanking and other facts ST. What would balance a 200 year advantage?

There are problems with the Vejur story in The Motion Picture. Vejur has supposedly explored the entire galaxy, but it's ignoring all the other galaxies. What happens if it does explore the other galaxies and somebody tracks it back to Earth?
the galaxy can't be left, for some reason explained in the first episode of TOS

the galaxy can't be left, for some reason explained in the first episode of TOS

The Galatic Barrier, same as there is one at the center. Still possible to leave, its mostly there as a organic organism barrier. I do not remember it affecting the computers, just the people.

I've read lots of them. Many of the originals which my mother had bought as well as all the books my local country library's (plural) have. :p Also been searching Memory Alpha constantly for two weeks now. Especially looking up Andorians and many other races for my timeline.

I understand that. I know more about different planets, starship designs, and races from Star Wars than I ever wanted to know from researching my TL.

So what do you think of wanking and other facts ST. What would balance a 200 year advantage?

Well, if it is a TNG era starship then it is able to travel a lot faster than older starships, and since Star Trek ships can fight while at warp (at least they could in TOS) that is a major advantage. Also, cloaking devices from the older time would be basically useless. I don't know very much about weapon development in Star Trek, but Quantum Torpedoes would give a future ship a massive advantage, and of course if the ship is Romulan it doesn't need dilithium anymore.

Now as to counterbalancing that, you need numbers, lots of numbers, or just wait for the enemy to run out of torpedoes, I don't think they can be replicated. Now, in TOS Kirk said the power is virtually inexaustible, so shields wouldn't fail easily, and the phasers probably wouldn't fail quickly either.

We saw your first post Doctor...

See it worked. :p

I understand that. I know more about different planets, starship designs, and races from Star Wars than I ever wanted to know from researching my TL.

Well, if it is a TNG era starship then it is able to travel a lot faster than older starships, and since Star Trek ships can fight while at warp (at least they could in TOS) that is a major advantage. Also, cloaking devices from the older time would be basically useless. I don't know very much about weapon development in Star Trek, but Quantum Torpedoes would give a future ship a massive advantage, and of course if the ship is Romulan it doesn't need dilithium anymore.

Now as to counterbalancing that, you need numbers, lots of numbers, or just wait for the enemy to run out of torpedoes, I don't think they can be replicated. Now, in TOS Kirk said the power is virtually inexaustible, so shields wouldn't fail easily, and the phasers probably wouldn't fail quickly either.

It is a TNG era starship, but one from where the current books takes place, near the 2390's 2400. Developing my new enemy. Haven't figured them out yet.

New question not related to my timeline which most of mine have been: How could TNG have been developed different as many things seem to have been left open to great interpretation at the end of TOS.

New question not related to my timeline which most of mine have been: How could TNG have been developed different as many things seem to have been left open to great interpretation at the end of TOS.

Well, I have wondered why nothing seemed to come out of the Khitomer meeting at the end of ST:VI. It implies that the Klingon Empire will die within 50 years due to lack of oxygen. Yet, it is never mentioned, ever again.

So, one way it could have been different: the Klingon homeworld continues to die and at the same time a fullscale Romulan invasion begins. The Klingons are too honorable to ask for help, so the Federation does not get involved. At the end the Klingon Empire is absorbed into the Romulan Star Empire. No Klingon Alliance in TNG, so there would be a lot of problems later. Maybe the Romulans become the dominant power in the Alpha Quadrant.

Then later when the Cardassian-Federation War starts the Federation is unable to commit as many resources as more ships have to watch the Romunal Neutral Zone, the war lasts longer, still resulting in a Federation Victory, but with higher losses so the Federation pushes the boundary farther into Cardassian Space. This means no Maquis. Which leads to no Voyager.

Additionally, such a move would remove Klingon technology from the Dominion War. So, the Dominion conquers the Federation, the Romulans side with the Dominion. No Shinzon of Remus.

But, in the end Species 8472 annihilates all life in the galaxy to eliminate any threat to them.

All good points and not something I was aware of, but I was refereing more to the flip flop of what the command behind the ship was. I have not seen this personally as TOS are not as often aired when I can watch. But I have seen reference material that gives this.

They could fire at warp? Did not know that either.

Regarding the Qo'NoS atmosphere issue, I am not sure if it was shown in TNG or DS9, but in Star Trek Armada, Qo'NoS is a dusty brown planet. In Starfleet Command (set prior to the Praxis incident) it is a blue-green fairly earth-like planet. To me, that would say that while the atmosphere was poisoned and such, they found some way to stabilise it enough to maintain life on the planet (at the expense of having really awful weather I guess).