Soviet Invasion Novels/Movies/Games

Over the past few years, I've started collecting stories about hypothetical Soviet invasions of the United States and/or Western Europe. I'm interested in expanding my collection, but I'm not quite sure where to start. Can anyone here throw down as many titles as you can think of?

So far, I own and have read/watched/played:

The Red Napoleon, Floyd Gibbons

The Conquered Place, Robert Shafer

Not This August, Cyril Kornblunth

Vandenberg (retitled Defiance), Oliver Lange

I, Martha Adams, Pauline Glen Winslow

Red Dawn (movie)

Command & Conquer: Red Alert (PC Game)

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 (PC Game)

Superman: Red Son, Mark Millar

Freedom Fighters (PC Game)

Just name any others you can.

Do you only want stories about the invasion itself, or also stories set after an invasion? If the latter, here's two TV entries:

-Amerika, an ABC miniseries from 1987...it's available on VHS but not DVD.

-The two-part pilot of Sliders featured a trip to a Soviet-occupied America.

Thanks. The stories can be set during or after the invasion, I'm not picky.

Just looking over the titles I have now, it seems distressing that an inordinately large number were written/reprinted in the 1980's...

Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy

The Third World War by Sir John Hackett

The Third World War: The Untold Story by Sir John Hackett (an update/sequel of above)

There was a bad movie about a Cuban/Nicaraguan invasion of the US, but I can't remember the name.

Also, The Day After, a movie about a nuclear strike on the US. This one was more a nuclear disarmament movie than a SU attacks movie.

I think the reason that these stories were so popular in the 1980s is that there was a real fear about a nuclear war starting. Reagan was rebuilding the US armed forces, the SU kept picking old leaders who then died, Europeans were protesting against basing nuclear weapons in Europe, etc. Some of the stories were to show that survival was possible (a war didn't have to go nuclear) and some were to show how ba it would be. After the SU collapsed, the threat went away, so we got stories of nuclear-armed terrorists, etc.

Kind of a silly addition, but this anti-communist comic book from the 1960s (endorsed by J. Edgar Hoover!) features some scenes of a communist takeover of the U.S.:

http://www.authentichistory.com/images/1960s/treasure_chest/cover_01.html

Here are two older films featuring communist takeovers:

Red Nightmare from 1962 (available on VHS here)

Invasion USA from 1952 (available on DVD here)

And when searching amazon, I discovered there was a Chuck Norris movie from 1985 that was also titled Invasion USA, and is also about a Soviet invasion.

Here's Another One...

In 1986, West End Games produced The Price of Freedom which portrayed life in Soviet-Occupied America, wherein freedom fighters would launch various attacks in an effort to free America from Soviet tyranny...

There was also Scout (Eclipse Comics)which featured a collapsed American government, dealing with the secession of the Southwest, and dealing with an expansionist Israeli empire and a successful Soviet Empire. For more information, check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Truman

Red Dawn is the greatest film in the history of the universe. I have it on DVD and I have wached it over 100 times.:D

Anyone remember the scene were the kids are scattered after an attack by Soviet helicopter gunships? Robert is cornered and blown away by one of the choppers wile he fires his AK-47 from the hip....

WOLVERINES!!!!

Man that's how I want to go.

reddawnroberttt.jpg

Thank you, everyone! Keep 'em coming.

It appears that I have signifigantly underestimated the sheer amount of dreck that exists in this genre. I wonder if Dr. Rosenfeld felt like this while going through all that "Nazis win" AH.

I do have this link for a bibliography Nuclear Holocausts in Fiction, and there are a few titles that deal more with a Soviet conquest than the nukes themselves. I've already got If All The Rebels Die by Samuel Southwell on order from Amazon.

Fortunately, I've found something to ease the pain. The guys at Mystery Science Theater 3000 did Invasion USA (the '50's one) in their sixth season. I even found a site where I can order it.

Ivan Druzhkov said:
Fortunately, I've found something to ease the pain. The guys at Mystery Science Theater 3000 did Invasion USA (the '50's one) in their sixth season. I even found a site where I can order it.

Isn't that the one where it turns out to be a collective dream from a bunch of bar patrons?

There was another RPG some years ago - 1999 - I believe - that was set in a post-WW3 senario. The Russians had landed troops in Alaska/Canada.
Military units world wide had been reduced to skeleton formations.
But the struggle was continuing.
I think there are some web-sites that support the game with appropriate reference material.

(When the game first came out it was futuristic, now it is AH)

As unlikely as a Soviet invasion of the US would have been, I think the most believable one has to be "Not This August" (at least, of the ones I've read). If the USSR and China had not fallen out and actively warred against us (nukes seems to have been neutralized somehow, as missiles can be intercepted), we'd have been doomed....

Johnestauffer said:
There was another RPG some years ago - 1999 - I believe - that was set in a post-WW3 senario. The Russians had landed troops in Alaska/Canada.
I think there are some web-sites that support the game with appropriate reference material.

Twilight 2000. Great game.

It is still avaliable. http://www.farfuture.net/

Johnestauffer said:

That was probably Twilight 2000. I played it one time. We spent a few hours driving our Bradley over the plains of Poland, then I died in our first ambush.

Torqumada