Say What?!: A President Barry Goldwater Timeline

If Milton Friedman becomes either SecTreas or CEA Chairman, with Volcker at the Fed (at the time he was a Treasury ASEC), this means that the GOP ITTL will be monetarist instead of voodoo. The GOP can then honestly claim to be the party of fiscal responsibility, unlike OTL.

I agree that Goldwater probably could win in '68 because of the factors you've listed (especially with the Democrats being in such disarray). Still Barry Goldwater being Barry Goldwater, there are bound to be some moments of him talking to farmers about phasing out farm price supports and discussing getting rid of the TVA in Tennessee, so I think the results would probably be closer.

Hm, well with more peaceful relations with the moderate wing of the GOP and the GOP establishment, they give Barry better advice how to handle himself (and he's more inclined to listen to them). His conservative gaffes may have made individual states closer, but not enough to really make a difference nationwide. As for Tennessee, even if Goldwater said that, it wouldn't really matter- Tennessee wasn't going to Humphrey no matter what Goldwater did. :p Out of curiosity, what would you imagine the map to look like?

Hmmm, Goldwater supported both the 1957 and 1960 Civil Rights Acts, and his objections to the 1964 Act were for the restrictions it placed on private individuals in Title II and Title VII. He was ok with the provisions that prevented state and local governments from discriminating and would have voted for the act if it had just been directed at governmental discrimination. As such I can't really see Goldwater opposing voting rights legislation since it would only restrict government action and wouldn't infringe on individual liberties. (Especially since there is no constitutional issue with voting rights legislation as it is clearly provided for in the 15th Amendment.)
Barry was pretty big on states rights (though you do have a point about 1957 and 1960). I took a glance (not a full read, unfortunately) at Conscience of a Conservative, and I read the part where he talked about how he opposed Brown V. Board of Education because he saw education as a state's responsibility, so I think that could've transferred to voting rights in his mind. Barry probably wouldn't like the preclearance section, as Arizona is targeted under it and he'd have to watch out for his constituents. he would probably believe it to be an unwarranted extension of Federal power, because states under preclearance have to check in with the Federal government before changing anything with voting procedure. I myself support the Voting Rights Act, but this is just how I think Barry Goldwater would react.

Barry will probably give Abrams 100% political support in his COIN efforts, as Bush did with Petraeus IOTL, and send over proper equipment ITTL instead of second-line crap (papier-mache F-5s anyone?) as the US did IOTL. As a former 2-star in AFRES, Barry will know more about this subject than almost anyone. He will need the SoDems and Scoop Jackson to keep the money flowing through a Democratic Congress. Thieu must be thrilled at Goldwater's victory.

Re Tennessee: their choice is between Barry and the uber-liberal Humphrey, along with George Wallace. In this scenario, the Democrats would barely scrape 1/3 of the white vote- IOTL HHH got 38%. Anyone can beat Humphrey, whose incessant talk of the "politics of joy" is too much Pablum and tranquilizers and not enough of a reality check.

If you want to read a great book about goldwater you should get:
With No Apologies by barry Goldwater

It is a great book and it should offer good insight into the mind of one of america's most interesting politicans.

bguy

Donor
Out of curiosity, what would you imagine the map to look like?

Not that different than how you have it really. I think Humphrey would probably take Washington. And Illinois, Wisconsin and California would all be real close and could easily go to him. Though even if Humphrey carries all of those states he would still lose.

Barry was pretty big on states rights (though you do have a point about 1957 and 1960). I took a glance (not a full read, unfortunately) at Conscience of a Conservative, and I read the part where he talked about how he opposed Brown V. Board of Education because he saw education as a state's responsibility, so I think that could've transferred to voting rights in his mind. Barry probably wouldn't like the preclearance section, as Arizona is targeted under it and he'd have to watch out for his constituents. he would probably believe it to be an unwarranted extension of Federal power, because states under preclearance have to check in with the Federal government before changing anything with voting procedure. I myself support the Voting Rights Act, but this is just how I think Barry Goldwater would react.

IIRC voting rights were the one civil rights item specifically mentioned in Conscience of a Conservative as an appropriate area for federal action. Though that is a good point about Arizona being singled our under the act. That probably would give Barry some cover for voting against the act if he couldn't get Arizona exempted from pre-clearance.

Why was Arizona singled out for preclearance anyway? Was it just payback by LBJ for them having voted for Goldwater or did they have a particularily egregious history on voting rights?

Not that different than how you have it really. I think Humphrey would probably take Washington. And Illinois, Wisconsin and California would all be real close and could easily go to him. Though even if Humphrey carries all of those states he would still lose.
Ah, well, those are actually the closer states in the election.

IIRC voting rights were the one civil rights item specifically mentioned in Conscience of a Conservative as an appropriate area for federal action. Though that is a good point about Arizona being singled our under the act. That probably would give Barry some cover for voting against the act if he couldn't get Arizona exempted from pre-clearance.
Hm, when I read it I'll check it out to make sure, though he still may not have liked the heavy federal bureaucracy involved in preclearance (especially because it affected his state).

So when can we expect the next installment on Barry's Presidency Han?

Hopefully by this week. I have a gameplan in mind for Barry's Presidency, and I've read Conscience of a Conservative, so it shouldn't take too too long.

There might be more coming in for 1969, but here's the next update! :D

Event Date: 1-3-1969
Event Description: The 91st United States Congress is sworn in today. Former House Minority Leader Gerald Ford fulfills his lifelong dream of becoming Speaker of the House, while former House Speaker John McCormack receives a demotion, becoming the House Minority Leader. Meanwhile, Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield swears in again, but with less power than he had before.

The First Term of Barry Goldwater

IH184282.jpg

Secretary of State: George Shultz
Secretary of Treasury: Milton Friedman
Secretary of Defense: Omar Bradley
National Security Advisor: Curtis LeMay
Attorney General: Robert Bork
Postmaster General: John Grenier
Secretary of Interior: Bob Dole
Secretary of Labor: John Connally
Secretary of Agriculture: Ezra Taft Benson
Secretary of Commerce: John Volpe
Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare: Caspar Weinberger
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: George Smathers
Secretary of Transportation: John Lindsay

U1422346A.jpg

Event Date: 1-20-1969

Event Description: Barry Goldwater is sworn in for his first term by Chief Justice Earl Warren. "In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem," says Goldwater in his inaugural address. "From time to time we've been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. Well, if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else? All of us together, in and out of government, must bear the burden." His inaugural address sparks great applause, but liberals are seething. "Reactionary drivel," mutters outgoing President Lyndon Johnson. Meanwhile, a group of hippies are standing outside the Capitol, protesting Goldwater's inauguration. They chant: "Goldwater must go! Goldwater must go!" Goldwater and Johnson have agreed to station the National Guard outside of the Capitol, in case if the protestors get out of hand. Barry Goldwater's cabinet is a breath of fresh air from the Johnson administration. Conservatives like Milton Friedman, Robert Bork, and Ezra Taft Benson have been brought onboard. However, there are also token Rockefeller Republicans, such as John Volpe and John Lindsay, and there are token Democrats, such as John Connally and George Smathers. Despite some controversial picks, Goldwater's cabinet is confirmed with minimal resistance with the help of Southern Democrats in the Senate (while Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen keeps Republicans in line).

Event Date: 1-21-1969

Event Description: Barry Goldwater holds several meetings today. The first meeting with Secretary of State George Shultz, Secretary of Defense Omar Bradley, and National Security Advisor Curtis LeMay on the biggest issue of his Presidency: the Vietnam War. "Well, what exactly is it that you want to accomplish, Mr. President?" asks Secretary Shultz. "I want total victory. I'd rather kill a hell of a lot of North Vietnamese than one American and we've lost enough of them,” replies President Goldwater. "But, I'd like to end this draft." The three devise a strategy with several parts:

1. They will send the best military equipment they have to ARVN and VNAF.
2. They will provide as many troops as General Abrams needs to protect the villages from the Viet Cong. They will begin work to end the draft and transfer to an all volunteer army.
3. They will reverse Johnson's bombing halt, and resume massive bombing of the North to bring them to the negotiation table.

Following that meeting, Goldwater holds a meeting with Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen, House Speaker Gerald Ford, and Treasury Secretary Milton Friedman to discuss Congressional matters. "I don't think we can outright abolish the Great Society," says Dirksen. "It's too popular, and we simply don't have the numbers to do such a thing." A dismayed Goldwater asks, "Well then, what can we do to stop the growth of Government?" In response, Secretary Friedman mentions the possibility of a Federal Negative Income Tax. "Insofar as we're going to have these Federal welfare programs," mentions Friedman. "We should bring in a Negative Income Tax, as we can still give money out to the poor without all this useless Federal bureaucracy." Ford and Dirksen take note. "Well, perhaps we can institute some find of welfare reform," says Ford. "Bobby Kennedy wanted something like that, and I think we could get enough Democrats to sign off on it." Additionally, Barry Goldwater urges Dirksen and Ford to get Congress in line with his plan for the War in Vietnam, and both Dirksen and Ford agree that it can be done.

Event Date: 1-22-1969
Event Description: Barry Goldwater phones General Creighton Abrams, who is in charge of military operations in South Vietnam. "General," says Goldwater. "There are going to be some changes from the last administration. You'll have my political cover to do anything you want to do, as long as you win the war." Goldwater asks Abrams if more troops are needed, and Abrams replies that a troop surge is not needed, as he believes that he can win the war with current troop levels, so long as ARVN is given funding, weapons, advisors, American airpower, etc. "Just try to win the war at home," says Abrams. "And I think we'll be alright."

Event Date: 1-25-1969

Event Description: At President Barry Goldwater's urging, Congress approves a fresh shipment of arms with the latest and best equipment to be sent to ARVN. This includes the M60 Patton, the F-4 Phantom, the A-7 Corsair, the A-4 Skyhawk, the KC-130, refueling probes, ECMs, Hawk SAMs, Cobras, and more. Additionally, more funding will be given to ARVN, and an extra set of American military advisors will be sent to guide ARVN.

Event Date: 2-5-1969
Event Description: After discussions with Congressional leadership and Barry Goldwater's cabinet, representative Donald Rumsfeld (R-IL-13) unveils the Personal Responsibility And Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1969. Among many things, the PRWORA ends welfare as an entitlement program, requires recipients to begin working after two years of receiving benefits, places a lifetime limit of five years on benefits paid by federal funds, encourages two-parent families and discourages out of wedlock births, and enhances enforcement of child support. Additionally PRWORA establishes a block grant program to states, so that they may design their own welfare programs (provided they follow some Federal requirements). It also calls for a spending decrease of 10% on a number of federal domestic programs, and establishes a Friedmanite Negative Income Tax, which will replace food stamps, minimum wage, and numerous federal welfare programs. Despite the massive cuts on welfare, PRWORA does not touch Social Security, Medicare, or Medicaid. Immediately President Goldwater comes out in support of the bill, calling it: "The first of many tasks we'll need to accomplish to stop the reach of expanding, inflationary Government."

U1954034.jpg

Event Date: 3-9-1969
Event Description: In New York City, Bill Clinton has made a name for himself in the jazz scene. He is by no means famous or rich, but is respected among those who frequent the jazz clubs. Tonight, reknowned artist Miles Davis brings his band to listen to Clinton's quartet. Davis is impressed, and Bill Clinton gets his lucky break: an opportunity to play in Miles Davis' band. The one catch is that Miles Davis' band will not play Clinton's favorite kind of straight-ahead jazz, but rather, they will play jazz fusion: a mix of jazz and rock. Bill Clinton nevertheless accepts, and is grateful of his opportunity. In August, Miles Davis will record an album with his band, and Davis invites Clinton to come to the recording session.

42-21070041.jpg

Event Date: 3-14-1969

Event Description: Bill Clinton performs his first gig with Miles Davis. The band is huge, consisting of many musicians. Clinton is not used to the style of jazz fusion, and does not feel good about his performance tonight. Nevertheless, his saxophone soloes draw huge rounds of applause from the crowds, and afterwords, Davis puts his arm around Clinton and says: "Bubba my boy, you sounded good tonight." Backstage, Clinton makes friends with keyboardist Chick Corea. During the conversation, the two talk about their college days. Corea chronicles his days at Julliard (which were limited, as he quit), while Clinton chronicles his days at Georgetown. "You know Chick, I once wanted to be President of the United States," says Clinton. "Oh really now? What made you stop your path for the White House?" responds Corea. "Well, I got into jazz, plus the political scene seems so dirty. If I went into politics, I'd have to lie all the time."

Event Date: 4-15-1969
Event Description: Barry Goldwater proudly signs the PRWORA. Although he does not believe that the bill is perfect, and would've preferred to outrightly end Federal welfare, he is proud to sign the bill. In his televised speech upon signing the bill, Goldwater proclaims: "We have begun the journey to end welfare as we know it." Upon watching this speech, former president Lyndon Johnson is driven to tears, and drinks. "The Great Society is dead," moans Johnson.

U1412578-18.jpg

Barry Goldwater Shortly After Signing PWRORA

Event Date: 5-9-1969

Event Description: Barry Goldwater leaves the country to visit Nguyễn Văn Thiệu at Independence Palace in Saigon, to discuss plans for the Vietnam War. Thiệu, who was thrilled at Goldwater's victory, is elated to have him. Flanked by Secretary Shultz, Secretary Bradley, National Security Advisor LeMay, as well as several interpreters and foreign policy advisers, Goldwater warmly shakes hands with Thieu, who is clearly joyful. Inside Independence Palace, Goldwater outlines his detailed plans for the Vietnam War. "As long as I am President, we shall honor our commitments to your people. We shall not stop at anything but victory, and your people shall be free to enjoy the benefits, of a world without Communism," says Goldwater. "Splendid!" replies Thiệu, who isn't quite sure if he's dreaming: Goldwater's promises are exactly what Thiệu wanted to hear. The two agree to do several reorganizations of ARVN. Some of these reorganizations include placing Lt. General Ngô Quang Trưởng considered to be ARVN's best officer, in charge of COIN; and placing Lt. General Đỗ Cao Trí in charge of IV Corps in the Mekong Delta. Finally, Thiệu tells Goldwater his concern that Cambodia may be housing headquarters of the PAVN and the NLF, and asks him to consider bombing Cambodia. Goldwater tells Thiệu that such a bombing campaign by the United States would have to be done in secrecy, as he does not have enough political capital as of this moment to bring the war into Cambodia yet. "But we've sent you all these arms, so you could bomb them yourselves, if you believe this to be the problem," says Goldwater. Thiệu agrees. After this meeting, Goldwater voyages to Manilla to discuss the Vietnam War with leaders of SEATO. Asian allies agree to continue their commitments to Vietnam.

Event Date: 5-16-1969

Event Description: Back from his Asian tour, Barry Goldwater ends Lyndon Johnson's bombing halt on North Vietnam. Working with military advisers and the defense department, Goldwater begins to plan a major bombing of North Vietnam. In Operation Linebacker, rounds of B-52 Stratofortress bombers will arrive in the next few days, and will essentially be an effort to bomb the North Vietnamese into submission. Railines, roads, military targets, airfields, Chinese and Russian armaments, forests (as it is believed that the North is funneling arms and supplies to the Viet Cong through the forests), and even the cities (namely Hanoi) will be hit. Additionally, the Ho Chi Minh trail will be bombed, with United States forces taking care of the parts located in North and South Vietnam, while ARVN forces will bomb the parts located in Cambodia and Laos. The goal is to force the North Vietnamese to the negotiation table, so that they will stop the war and stop funding the Viet Cong. Additionally, North Vietnamese harbors will not be excluded, and Goldwater will order the mining of harbors such as Haiphong. Right before the meeting ends, Secretary George Shultz (who had for some time tried to set up negotations) sends a telegram to the North Vietnamese, notifying that there will be severe consequences for the North Vietnamese if they do not halt the war.

bombers_b52_0008.jpg

Event Date: 5-19-1969
Event Description: Barry Goldwater nominates Warren Burger for the position of Chief Justice to the Supreme Court. A judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, Burger is easily confirmed by the Senate. Burger is seen as a strict-constructionist conservative who is expected to reverse the liberal trend of the Warren court.

Event Date: 5-21-1969

Event Description: Operation Linebacker begins today, as hundreds of B-52s begin their journey to North Vietnam, and the bombs start falling.

At home, President Barry Goldwater gives a televised speech written by Pat Buchanan. He announces the beginning of bomb strikes in North Vietnam, and he announces the plan of action for the Vietnam War. They will maintain current troop levels in South Vietnam to fight off the Viet Cong and to protect the villages, while also giving the South plenty of military support. He also says that his administration will do all that they can to end the draft.

"And so tonight, to you, the great silent majority of my fellow American: I ask for your support...Let us be united for peace. Let us also be united against defeat. Because let us understand: North Vietnam cannot defeat or humiliate the United States. Only Americans can do that. As President I hold the responsibility for choosing the best path to that goal and then leading the Nation along it. I pledge to you tonight that I shall meet this responsibility with all of the strength and wisdom I can command in accordance with your hopes, mindful of your concerns, sustained by your prayers. Thank you and goodnight," says Barry Goldwater.

Polls show that 60% of Americans support Barry Goldwater's foreign policy, and want to see victory in Vietnam.

U1422345-13.jpg

Barry Goldwater Announcing The Resumption Of Bombing On North Vietnam

Event Date: 5-22-1969

Event Description: Despite widespread support for Goldwater's foreign policy, the anti-war movement is revitalized, due to the resumption of bombing. Thousands of protestors march across the cities, demanding an end to the war. Draft cards are being burned. High schools and universities are being forced to shut down. Several groups, such as Weather Underground, are resorting to violence, and are using bombs to make their point. In response to the problem, Barry Goldwater phones governors nationwide, telling them that he will give them full political cover to do whatever is needed to quell the riots. Governors nationwide will use their state's National Guard to make sure that the protests do not get out of hand. Goldwater will then phone FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, giving him permission to do as needed to crack down on anti-war protestors and rioters. For some time, Barry Goldwater will have to be surrounded by the National Guard anywhere he goes.

Event Date: 5-23-1969

Event Description: Barry Goldwater forms the Gates Commission, headed by Thomas Gates Jr., to look into ending the military draft.

Event Date: 5-25-1969

Event Description: The Ohio National Guard shoots anti-war protestors at Kent State University in Ohio. Four students are killed and nine students are wounded by the shootings. President Goldwater will make no apology or sign of sympathy for the shootings. The Kent State Shootings will spark controversy, with students going on strike and frequent anti-war marches. A Gallup Poll, however, reveals that 58% of Americans blame the students.

kentstatemaryann.jpg

Event Date: 6-11-1969

Event Description: True Grit is released in theaters today. The film is well received by critics not only for John Wayne's depiction of Rooster Cogburn, but also for Ronald Reagan's portrayal of the villain, Lucky Ned Pepper. Although Ronald Reagan had already been well known due to his presence in 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Graduate, his portrayal of Lucky Ned Pepper makes Ronald Reagan a household name. Whispers come around that Reagan may be able to win an Oscar (and of course, John Wayne could too).

True_grit.jpg

Event Date: 7-19-1969
Event Description: Ted Kennedy attends a reunion party of Robert Kennedy campaign workers on Chappaquiddick Island off the coast of Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts. He offers to take Mary Jo Kopechne, one of the "Boiler Room Girls," to catch the last ferry to Edgartown, where she is staying. She agrees and the two leave at 11:15 p.m. Although Kennedy is drunk, he drives. Kennedy takes a wrong turn onto Dike Road, which leads to Dike Bridge (a wooden bridge with no guardrail). Despite applying the brakes, Kennedy is unable to stop the car from driving off the bridge and into Poucha Pond. During the car crash, Kennedy, in an attempt to get out, hits his head on the car door, knocking himself out unconsious. Neither are able to get out of the car, and as a result, Ted Kennedy and Mary Jo Kopechne both die that night. The Kennedy curse has struck once more (Author's Note: Don't worry Kennedy fans, you haven't seen the last of the Kennedy family yet!).

edwardkennedy.jpg

Edward Moore "Ted" Kennedy: February 22, 1932- July 7, 1969

Event Date: 7-20-1969
Event Description: Despite the tragedy of Senator Ted Kennedy's death, the nation (and the world) is happy tonight, as Apollo 11 has landed on the moon. Two astronauts, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, become the first men ever to walk on the moon, while Michael Collins orbits the moon in the Apollo 11 Command Module. The event of the moonlanding is a bittersweet event for the Kennedy family, as John Kennedy's dream of landing the moon before the end of the decade is fulfilled, but Ted Kennedy is killed so tragically. Barry Goldwater is beaming pride, as he makes a telephone call from the Oval Office to speak with the astronauts. "No matter what else happens," Barry tells Peggy. "I'll always be glad that I was the President when Americans landed on the moon."

Event Date: 7-23-1969
Event Description: In a special election in the Senate, Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV) has been elected the new Senate Majority Whip, to replace the late Ted Kennedy.

Event Date: 7-27-1969

Event Description: In light of Senator Ted Kennedy's death, Massachusetts Governor Francis W. Sargent announces the appointment of former Massachusetts Attorney General and former Lieutenant Governor Elliot Richardson for the United States Senate. Richardson, a moderate Rockefeller Republican, is considered to be an acceptable pick by Bay Staters, and only the far left is disappointed. Nevertheless, this is a setback for Democrats, as the Democrats have lost one seat. Nevertheless, they could possibly regain this seat next year.

U1778978A.jpg

Event Date: 8-19-1969

Event Description: The Miles Davis band begins to record their new album, which is yet to be named. Recording will last for two days. Clinton is excited to record with Davis, even though Davis has not given Clinton much specific directions on what they are to record. On recording day, Davis lays out sparse instructions to his musicians before recording songs: only the tempo, the chords (and maybe the melody), and the mood. Despite the nervousness of the situation, Clinton performs quite well, and is playing with such musicians as guitarist John McLaughlin, pianist Chick Corea, pianist Joe Zawinul, drummer Jack DeJohnette, bassist Dave Holland, and more. The songs are essentially very long jams, and take a long time to record. On lunch break, Corea and Clinton discuss plans to possibly form their own jazz group someday. The group would be straight-ahead, but modern. "I've got all these compositions with weird changes," says Corea. "We'll have to play them together some time."

Event Date: 8-21-1969

Event Description: Representative John Jacob Rhodes (R-AZ-1) and Senator John Tower (R-TX) unveils the Tax Reduction Act of 1969. The act cuts income taxes from 70% to 50%, indexes the rates for inflation, reduces windfall profit taxes, creates a 10% exclusion on income for two-earner married couples, and more. President Barry Goldwater immediately comes out in favor of these tax cuts, endorsing them to the fullest. "At this point in time," Goldwater says in a press conference. "Government has been taking money at an alarming and confiscatory rate. These tax cuts are necessary not only to revitalize our economy, but to return money back to the people, where it belongs." The bill gains widespread support from conservatives, but liberals oppose it. "This bill is a Christmas Party for the rich," says Representative Tipp O'Neill (D-MA-8) in the deebates. Despite liberal opposition, Congress will pass the tax cuts and Barry Goldwater will sign them.

HU048794.jpg

Barry Goldwater Announcing His Support For The Tax Reduction Act of 1969

Event Date: 9-2-1969

Event Description: President of North Vietnam Hồ Chí Minh dies of heart failure. His Vice President, Tôn Đức Thắng, is elevated to the Presidency of North Vietnam.

hochiminh.gif

Hồ Chí Minh: May 19, 1890- September 2, 1969

Event Date: 9-7-1969

Event Description: Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen (R-IL) dies of surgical complications at age 73. Illinois Governor Richard Ogilvie appoints Ralph Tyler Smith to serve out the rest of Dirksen's term until a special election to be held in 1970. Senator Hugh Scott (R-PA) shall win the election in the Senate to serve as Senate Minority Leader.

Everett_dirksen_painting.jpg

Everett Dirksen (R-IL): January 4, 1896- September 7, 1969

Last edited:
No surprises there, that much I'll say. Will Barry abolish the draft as Nixon did IOTL? BTW, now the Kennedys are 'ruled' in the paterfamilias role by Sarge Shriver. Given the OTL record, that will be uncomfortable for everyone involved. I like it! :cool:

Interesting team Goldwater's put together, I know who most of them are from OTL, but who's his National Security Adviser and UN ambassador? Also, is Goldwater gonna pull a Nixon OTL and work with China against the Soviets?