Romans in 1399 mod thingy for EU3

Krall

Banned
Ofaloaf, I think you could mod in Kievan Rus` as a Secondary Shogunate, as I have seen that miscmods added factions to the Ottomans.

Factions are different from the Shogunate. As I understand it you can add factions to several nations quite easily, but I'm not sure if you can add in another Shogunate.

I upgraded to the latest beta patch, but MEIOU 5.0 was released on May 8th and says that it needs the March 30th 5.1b beta patch. Base MEIOU seems to have worked fine on the May beta patch and I've have no problems conciliating it with the June patch.

By the way, should I mark the move to MEIOU as the start of the 0.2 series of updates?

I'm not sure I trust either, but I suppose I'll have to give it a try. Thing is I've read too many accounts of the game, even in vanilla, not working after updating. It makes me a bit... sceptical.

Well... I really dont like the fact that I will have to try something new just to keep having updates to this mod.
Think of it as a meta-update; we've now got updated updated. Plus, all those extra provinces!
I'm not sure I trust either, but I suppose I'll have to give it a try. Thing is I've read too many accounts of the game, even in vanilla, not working after updating. It makes me a bit... sceptical.
I've already stripped MEIOU down and then put it back together and it hasn't hiccup'd, so I'm not too concerned at the moment.

Changed Lucca (LUC) to Arretrium, Tuscany (Tuscia), edited both their common files, Arretrium's flag is now the black-horse-on-white of the Arezzo commune because why not. My only concern right now is making Rome, with 9 provinces under its control, HREmperor at the beginning of the game, because as it stands an HREmperor starts the game with a 36-unit-strong army. That's maybe a little OP.

Think of it as a meta-update; we've now got updated updated. Plus, all those extra provinces!

I've already stripped MEIOU down and then put it back together and it hasn't hiccup'd, so I'm not too concerned at the moment.

Changed Lucca (LUC) to Arretrium, Tuscany (Tuscia), edited both their common files, Arretrium's flag is now the black-horse-on-white of the Arezzo commune because why not. My only concern right now is making Rome, with 9 provinces under its control, HREmperor at the beginning of the game, because as it stands an HREmperor starts the game with a 36-unit-strong army. That's maybe a little OP.
Maybe make the Byzantines HRE? The East has held primacy over the West since Diocletian, and you could use Austria's missions as the base for Rome trying to regain that position.

Maybe make the Byzantines HRE? The East has held primacy over the West since Diocletian, and you could use Austria's missions as the base for Rome trying to regain that position.
I was thinking of reversing that and making just the Western Roman Empire the... Holy Western Roman Empire. Maybe even just Italy and Gaul this time.

Krall

Banned
I was thinking of reversing that and making just the Western Roman Empire the... Holy Western Roman Empire. Maybe even just Italy and Gaul this time.

So the Western Empire devolves into a HRE-like organisation and the Eastern Empire stays (relatively) together?

So the Western Empire devolves into a HRE-like organisation and the Eastern Empire stays (relatively) together?
Yes to the first bit, sort-of-not-really to the second. Just that covering everything with the comforting blanket of the HRE just kind of took some of the thrill out. The Byzantines themselves are also anemic and weak-- maybe a little bit smaller than Byzantium as it currently stands in the mod, still has some Anatolian territory and such-- but they don't get an HRE.

birdboy2000

Banned
I'm getting a bug where it crashes when I try to convert provinces to Sveitism. Might be a bad install or something, though - I dunno.

(That said, this scenario is fascinating.)

I'm getting a bug where it crashes when I try to convert provinces to Sveitism. Might be a bad install or something, though - I dunno.

(That said, this scenario is fascinating.)
Odd! That must be a recent problem, nobody else mentioned a... wait, Sveitism? Are you using the 0.1.12 download from the front page? That's not the most recent version; AH.com has a one-month edit-a-post limit, so I couldn't update the first post after a month and had to post updates within the thread.

Also, progress on MEIOU! I tell you what, MEIOU detailed map offers a ton more opportunities for states and provides a neat challenge for finding Classical names for each and every one of 'em. Check out some of the work done thus far:

JHYMr.jpg

Three new states at the France-Italy border-- the Kingdom of Arles (beige), Transjurania (pale green), Bernardine Order (navy blue). Arles and Transjurania are historical divisions of Burgundy, albeit with their more romantic names, but the Bernardine Order is basically a Savoy space-filler based off of St. Bernard and the hospices along the St. Bernard Pass.

vgh8p.jpg

Soissons! It's kind of smaller here than in the regular-DW version.

bkNn0.jpg

Everything to the west of the lime-green line in Asia minor is stuff I'm happy with. There's an Orthodox Papacy in Nicaea, Pergamon (orange-brown), Philadelphia (teal), Ephesus (orange), Rhodos (turquoise), Phygria (gray-brown, inland), Komenoi (gray-purple), Sampsuna (gray-pink, tiny OPM), Trebizond (now a theocracy!).

uwXIg.jpg

Italia! Still tinkering with the northern parts of it.

Last edited:
BTW, Ofaloaf, does the changeover to MEIOU mean it's set in 1356 now?
If so, we have to do something with Northern Russia, again :( (as we basically used OTL 1350 for it, which looked different enough in DW but would have been too familiar for MEIOU).
OTOH, if we decide to stick with 1350 for the north (or some other date with Moscow in it - I just can't see Moscow falling off the game, it just must be there even if as an OPM), we finally know what to do with Rostov - MEIOU's convenient Rostov province is exactly in the correct place for the country to have the correct capital while still keeping Yaroslavl and its bear flag! :p
BTW, does standard MEIOU have Perm in it? That would've been a good addition, as it is indeed an OTL state somehow missing from all EU3s... probably for the same reason Cahokia is - obscurity. BTW, our Cahokias [aka Mississippians] would've been a good addition to MEIOU - IIRC their standard North America doesn't have anything in it... :confused:

So what, how? :)
January First-of-May

The mod's looking good, and I would be thrilled with this move if MEIOU didn't always break my EUIII. I constantly have an error 51. I definitely don't want to make you tech support but if you can help that would be great.

The only thing I can think of is that I've had to pirate the beta patch, as Paradox refuses to recognize my Steam CD key. Weren't you having this problem as well? How did you get the patch?

The mod's looking good, and I would be thrilled with this move if MEIOU didn't always break my EUIII. I constantly have an error 51. I definitely don't want to make you tech support but if you can help that would be great.
Code Error: 51? I'll dig through tech support and see if I can find anything.

The only thing I can think of is that I've had to pirate the beta patch, as Paradox refuses to recognize my Steam CD key. Weren't you having this problem as well? How did you get the patch?
Which beta patch are you using (March, May, June)?

I got the patch by remembering that I had purchased a copy of EU3 several computers and four years ago over Gamgersgate, and had never registered that. I got lucky and remembered my proper password for the site, got that registry key, and registered my old copy of EU3 vanilla. I still don't have EU3 Complete actually registered.

BTW, Ofaloaf, does the changeover to MEIOU mean it's set in 1356 now?
If so, we have to do something with Northern Russia, again :( (as we basically used OTL 1350 for it, which looked different enough in DW but would have been too familiar for MEIOU).
OTOH, if we decide to stick with 1350 for the north (or some other date with Moscow in it - I just can't see Moscow falling off the game, it just must be there even if as an OPM), we finally know what to do with Rostov - MEIOU's convenient Rostov province is exactly in the correct place for the country to have the correct capital while still keeping Yaroslavl and its bear flag! :p
BTW, does standard MEIOU have Perm in it? That would've been a good addition, as it is indeed an OTL state somehow missing from all EU3s... probably for the same reason Cahokia is - obscurity. BTW, our Cahokias [aka Mississippians] would've been a good addition to MEIOU - IIRC their standard North America doesn't have anything in it... :confused:

So what, how? :)
January First-of-May
Yeah, in-game there's already Rostov, Beloozero, Halych-Volhyna, Yaroslavl, Murom, Smolensk, Tver, Pskov, Briansk, Karachev... although there's no Novgorod-Seversky, Pereslavl or Turov. Since it's 1356, Lithuania even starts out Pagan, which is an interesting extra twist to it all, too.

Code Error: 51? I'll dig through tech support and see if I can find anything.

You don't have to do that. I've been going through official tech support and all of their solutions are either useless or they never respond to the asker. I was just wondering if you did anything special to make MEIOU work for you.

I just want to be able to play. :(

Expect a PM very soon.

I seem to have gotten it working. There are various confusing fixes on the MEIOU site, but the combination that worked for me is:

*get the 5.1b patch somehow, it really doesn't matter where
*Install the mod normally as per MEIOU's instructions into your steam/Steamapps/whatever/EU3 folder
*verify game cache integrity using Steam
*Do the second hotfix suggested on the main download page

This has worked so far, and although the UI screws up every so often, it's good enough for me. I wish Steam and Paradox weren't so incompatible/unnecessarily obtuse about things. Not that mods are their responsibility, but we are mutual customers of theirs.