Robert Devereux Suceeds

What if Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex's rebellion succeeded? Perhaps Elizabeth dies earlier, leaving Essex to take power? what if?

What if Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex's rebellion succeeded? Perhaps Elizabeth dies earlier, leaving Essex to take power? what if?

Why would Elizabeth died earlier? From what I read on Wikipedia he goal was to gain influence at court, not kill the Queen. Second he would NEVER come to power. Essex,as far as I know, didn't have a drop of Royal blood and even if he did no one would accept him as King if he killed good Queen Bess.

Why would Elizabeth died earlier? From what I read on Wikipedia he goal was to gain influence at court, not kill the Queen. Second he would NEVER come to power. Essex,as far as I know, didn't have a drop of Royal blood and even if he did no one would accept him as King if he killed good Queen Bess.

by come to power, I meant that he be a powerful force in England. And he could gain influence at court. How would this effect the future of England though?

Anybody there? Anybody?

If you want more attention for your WI's I recomend putting more effort into it than just going "Scenario? What if?!". I've found the easiest ways to garner attention for your threads is to come to your own conclussion in the opening so that people have something to debate right off the bat and explaining what the basics of the situation and the characters are.

From what I remember his goals were to remove Robert Cecil and the people in his orbit from political influence and to force Elizabeth to acknowledge the then King of Scotland, the future James I, as her heir, something Elizabeth refused to do. So a real triumph would amount to the fall of Robert Cecil and not the removal of Elizabeth herself. Not sure what the consequences of that change would be, but given the extent of the Cecil's influence by that point, they might be substantial.

Actually Essex did have a slight claim to the throne though his rebellion was more about the loss of his income due the cancellation of monopolies and has been stated his emnity with Cecil.

Isabel of Cambridge Countess of Essex (sister of Richard Duke of York) - William Bourchier - Cecily Bourchier - Walter 1st Viscount Hereford - Sir Richard Devereux - Walter 1st Earl of Essex - Robert 2nd Earl of Essex.

From what I remember his goals were to remove Robert Cecil and the people in his orbit from political influence and to force Elizabeth to acknowledge the then King of Scotland, the future James I, as her heir, something Elizabeth refused to do. So a real triumph would amount to the fall of Robert Cecil and not the removal of Elizabeth herself. Not sure what the consequences of that change would be, but given the extent of the Cecil's influence by that point, they might be substantial.

But Cecil wanted james on the throne too?

Essex's "rebellion" was a farce with no aims other than a broken man seeking to regain past glories

But Cecil wanted james on the throne too?

Essex's "rebellion" was a farce with no aims other than a broken man seeking to regain past glories

From what I recall Cecil was considerably more subtle about his support for James, and was better at intrigue generally than Essex was, who was a bit too much like Shakespeare's Hotspur. Therefore I do not know whether Essex would have known Cecil supported James or if Cecil would have articulated his position on succession at the time given the risk that entailed at court. Even if he was aware of Cecil's position, Essex wanted to ensure that he would have greater political influence in James' court than Cecil, if I remember correctly.