Retrospective US Presidential Election: 1876

ote in the 1876 Retrospective US Presidential Election!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
PROHIBITION: Liberals, conservatives, and libertarians unite for civil rights! Smith for President!

It's too bad that he doesn't seem to be related to President Gerrit Smith; that'd be another nice bit of trivia.
Hey, I just realized. There would be THREE President Smiths! Gerrit, Green and Al!

OMG. This is Peter Cooper.

94px-Peter_Cooper_1900.jpg

He's also an octogenarian inventor...

images

Tilden fought Tammany Hall and corruption within New York. After the corruption of Grant's administration, surely we need to clean up with Tilden at the lead?

Im going to admit i dont have the vaguest idea who any of the people in the poll are.

edit: Or even which one won the election OTL.

Im going to admit i dont have the vaguest idea who any of the people in the poll are.

edit: Or even which one won the election OTL.

Just glance through Wikipedia and this thread.

I would suggest the Prohibition candidate myself for his support of civil rights, universal suffrage and labor laws.

Stolengood

Banned
Smith for you, Smith for me,
Smith's a blessed filigree,
Bringing joy to every child
And making wives and husbands mild...

PRO-HI-BITION! Leader of the free!
The po-si-tion for both you and me!
PRO-HI-BITION! Dry our nation's tears!
Green Smith's the man,
He's got a plan
To save our future years!

Just glance through Wikipedia and this thread.

I would suggest the Prohibition candidate myself for his support of civil rights, universal suffrage and labor laws.
Oh i usually do go to wikipedia, even when i do know the candidates and who im voting for.

This, from wiki-
Prior to the Civil War, Cooper was active in the anti-slavery movement and promoted the application of Christian concepts to solve social injustice. He was a strong supporter of the Union cause during the war and an advocate of the government issue of paper money.
Influenced by the writings of Lydia Maria Child, Cooper became involved in the Indian reform movement, organizing the privately funded United States Indian Commission. This organization, whose members included William E. Dodge and Henry Ward Beecher, was dedicated to the protection and elevation of Native Americans in the United States and the elimination of warfare in the western territories.
Cooper's efforts led to the formation of the Board of Indian Commissioners, which oversaw Ulysses S. Grant's Peace Policy. Between 1870 and 1875, Cooper sponsored Indian delegations to Washington, D.C., New York City, and other Eastern cities. These delegations met with Indian rights advocates and addressed the public on United States Indian policy. Speakers included: Red Cloud, Little Raven, and Alfred B. Meacham and a delegation of Modoc and Klamath Indians.

Good enough for me!

Jasen777

Donor
If early results largely hold it'll make for an interesting map, and would not doubt be thrown to the House IRL.

A TIGHT RACE AT THE PRESENT TIME:

Peter Cooper (Greenback) - 14 - 26.92%
Rutherford Hayes (Republican) - 14 - 26.92%
Green Smith (Prohibition) - 14 - 26.92%
Samuel Tilden (Democratic) - 10 - 19.23%

For those concerned with civil rights, I'll point out that apparently Hayes even before the Compromise of 1877 privately acquiesced to withdrawing troops from the south, although he tempered this with the requirement for toothless guarantees that the rights of freedmen would not be impinged upon. I do not know about Tilden personally, but the Democratic platform pledged to end "the rapacity of carpetbag tyrannies" and relied on paramilitary violence to win in the southern states.

Given what others have said about the inflationary policies of the Greenback Party, I'll have to cast my vote for Green Smith this time around.