Retrospective elections must be posted in Chat

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Ian the Admin, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Fleetlord #AtvarDidNothingWrong

It's still there, actually, (check the sig). Naturally I'd like a judgment on this as well, Ian.

2. The Wandering Poet Well-Known Member

Surely timelines should be in Post and Pre-1900 (or ASB depending on the TL of course)...:confused:

That's where the people who are interested in history (and thus alt-history) are...

3. Tsao Banned

They are getting pretty annoying.

How about people just stop posting them?

4. Color-Copycat Banned

The more implausible/wish-fulfilling political timelines tend to be posted in the Writer's Forum because the plausibility police don't regularly patrol that neighborhood.

5. Jasen777 Martyr Without a Cause

They are there because "current politics" is not allowed in the AH forums. This was ruled to include political timelines with recent pods. Implausible or not I'd imagine most writers of such would rather have them in the post 1900 forum for greater feedback.

Putting them in the Writers Forum always struck me as odd, but I don't know what the alternative would be that forum administration would allow...

6. Paul V McNutt Paul V McNutt Banned

I don't understand why we can't do polls in chat. It seems the ideal place. It is where we discuss issues.

7. snerfuplz Liveral Fascist

Sadly it becomes a place of polls and not discussion

8. Alternate History Geek Plattenite Railfan

WHY?? WHY??

We need more admins. We need some different admins.

9. Color-Copycat Banned

I think the current crop of mods does a very good job at policing the forums.

10. Alternate History Geek Plattenite Railfan

I said new ADMINS, not new moderators. Ian is a dictator.

11. Color-Copycat Banned

He's the one footing the bill for the site. Until AH.com starts getting publicly traded on the NYSE, I don't think ownership rights are up for grabs.;)

12. Abhakhazia Romanophile

What about stuff like the now-defunct TL-191 Retrospective Elections? Those would still go in B&M, right?

13. Nerdlinger All-around smartass

I would think so, since they genuinely are related to AH media.

14. Klisz IRCmaster

Considering he owns the server and pays for the bandwidth, it's his right to be a dictator.

15. Doctor Imperialism SWEET DREAMS ARE MADE OF THIS

Calm the fuck down.

16. Burton K Wheeler Moderator Moderator

You've been warned a few times lately about being an overbearing backseat moderator in a jerkish way. No more warnings. See you in a week.

17. Burton K Wheeler Moderator Moderator

The moderators are pretty bad too, from what I hear. Post one frothing off-topic aside immediately after being kicked, and you get kicked again. How's that for dictatorial?

18. Ian the Admin Administrator

No, chat is about any topic which does not fall under the other topics and is likely to be controversial. It's definitely not specific to current events. If people are seriously debating past elections, they're making the same sort of political arguments and value judgments that should go in Chat.

Talking about who you would vote for in a real world election, and why, is political. It doesn't matter that it isn't current day politics. It's politics and value judgment that is not on-topic anywhere on this site except Chat.

And as for why there are no polls in Chat, what happened with the retrospective elections in Books and Media is a classic example. People spammed, spammed spammed retrospective election threads that generated no actual discussion, because all they cared about was getting people to vote on the poll.

If people have to post a link to an external polling site, I think they'll only bother to do that for important threads that they think will get a lot of responses.

I already noticed that polls practically disappeared from Chat as soon as I required people to post a link to an external polling site. It takes a small amount of effort to do that, but very few people think a poll is worth that small amount of effort.

19. Nerdlinger All-around smartass

Polls disappeared from Chat as soon as you banned polls from Chat. :confused:

20. Klisz IRCmaster

What he meant, I believe, was that people stopped even posting links to external polls.