Relief, Reform, Recovery, and Reorganization: The New Deal in the United States

Probably. But I'd kinda like to see a different President. FDR is sick enough that making him retire early is reasonable. If Henry Wallace is being considered (Stalin loving President) then that would be some crazy stuff. If it's a Republican—and Wilkie is not, actually, terribly likely if you look at how the '40 convention went—then that is also interesting. Like I said, I've never thought much of FDR in a few areas and changing them would be interesting.

I'll say this: It won't be Wallace, but he'll definitely be a fighter at the Democratic convention, if I choose to have Roosevelt stay out of the race. As for the GOP, Willkie is likely, but I don't want to have him run against my surprise candidate (to be sure, I'm not really honest who I think would win). I may turn the GOP convention over to an isolationist, like the soon to be elected Robert Taft.

As for later events, WWII could go very differently. There's plenty of options in the Pacific[1] and in Europe perhaps the Nazi plans don't get lost (which prompted the Ardennes plan) and so they stick with the Belgium thrust. That would vastly change the European theatre.

What I'll say about the Pacific Theatre is that its going to be drastically different, regardless if I change horses midstream or not, mainly as a result of butterflies. As for Europe, I haven't really thought much about it at this point, but with the person I'm thinking of putting in the White House, I'm not actually sure how different the war-planning is going to go. One teaser, though: Allied Supreme Commander George C. Marshall.

I would think that keeping on FDR for a third term is the most probable and plausible option, unless you want to blame solely butterflies. I'm always for whatever is more plausible.

This is a great timeline, and I will be following it for the duration. Very interesting, very well-written. Great job.

Ah, thank you for your input and for reading my timeline.

Now that I don't know. I'd personally be happier with someone else in the White House that doesn't deliberately cripple his allies because he doesn't understand/blindly hates imperialism and perhaps that same someone would be less trustful of Stalin

So you want a non-American POTUS? Because if you think FDR was unduly hostile to European colonialism then I've got news for you--there is no conceivable 'pro-colonialist' American-born politician who can win the White House in 1940.

Other than a reincarnation of TR...

I thoroughly enjoyed the last installment, and how Franklin keeps stalling on the UHC Bill Cocrhan wants to get passed. I'm of the persuasion that if the economy had been doing better and things didn't look like it was going to heat up in Europe, I think Franklin would have stuck to the Washington tradition.

However he was a Roosevelt, and Teddy ran for a third term only to loose to Wilson. He may run again, just to finally distinguish himself from his cousin's shadow.I however think allthough Willkie was a really strong, Dark Horse Candidate in 1940...The fact that he came from Corporate America really hurt him in the minds of Industrial voters, so I think only 8 years after getting rid of Hoover...I just don't think the GOP could make that big of a comeback esp if there is a lessend/no Roosevelt Recession of 1938. The GOP is pretty much in the same position the Democrats were in OTL 1988 elections, allthough the oppostion party does alot better, they still won't be popular enough to pulltogether a win,.

So were looking at a Democratic Successor to FDR...Hull would be to old, Wallace to far to the left, Garner and Bankhead to Southern...We either need a compromise candidate. I propose old Pappa Joe Kennedy to the position...and here's why...

Let's say FDR decides against giving Joe Kennedy the Ambassadorship in 1938 due to Butterflies. Although he feels snubbed, he can't come out openly against FDR due to his enormous popularity. So, I think in this scenario, he would get back into State Politics and challenge Hurley for the Governship. With his powerful influence, it probably pushes former Governer Curley out of the primary race. He should be able to beat Saltonstall and win the Governership. By the time the 1940 Convention, He has the Executive experience that comes with being Governor, He has the ecomonmic experience from being SEC Chairman and ethnic support that will help him in the industrial states.

So I think a Kennedy/Bankhead ticket would be able to trounce anybody the Republicans put uo.

However he was a Roosevelt, and Teddy ran for a third term only to loose to Wilson. He may run again, just to finally distinguish himself from his cousin's shadow.I however think allthough Willkie was a really strong, Dark Horse Candidate in 1940...The fact that he came from Corporate America really hurt him in the minds of Industrial voters, so I think only 8 years after getting rid of Hoover...I just don't think the GOP could make that big of a comeback esp if there is a lessend/no Roosevelt Recession of 1938. The GOP is pretty much in the same position the Democrats were in OTL 1988 elections, allthough the oppostion party does alot better, they still won't be popular enough to pulltogether a win,.

Very good point. I like Willkie, as he's quite the centrist, or even, the liberal, by GOP standards, and I don't think he would have dropped the ball on the New Deal, minus some gutting of public power projects. I'm really leaning towards not giving him the GOP nomination, though, and having the Republicans go with someone like Taft or Vandenburg. Isolationism's last stand, perchance?

So were looking at a Democratic Successor to FDR...Hull would be to old, Wallace to far to the left, Garner and Bankhead to Southern...We either need a compromise candidate. I propose old Pappa Joe Kennedy to the position...and here's why...

Let's say FDR decides against giving Joe Kennedy the Ambassadorship in 1938 due to Butterflies. Although he feels snubbed, he can't come out openly against FDR due to his enormous popularity. So, I think in this scenario, he would get back into State Politics and challenge Hurley for the Governship. With his powerful influence, it probably pushes former Governer Curley out of the primary race. He should be able to beat Saltonstall and win the Governership. By the time the 1940 Convention, He has the Executive experience that comes with being Governor, He has the ecomonmic experience from being SEC Chairman and ethnic support that will help him in the industrial states.

So I think a Kennedy/Bankhead ticket would be able to trounce anybody the Republicans put uo.

Papa Joe Kennedy is an interesting idea, and I'll definitiely think about it, though I wonder if he would serve well in an administrative position like, say, Secretary of State or Secretary of the Treasury in my mystery candidate's administration, or even the Vice Presidency...

It won't be Hull or Wallace, for sure. Bankhead might get the nod for VP, but it won't really matter, because OTL he ended up dying in '40. If I don't butterfly his death away, then he's probably guaranteed the Veep spot, well, either him, or Pat Harrison, anyway. The top of the ticket will have a northern liberal with administrative (not executive, per se) experience and the bottom of the ticket with either be a southern moderate or southern conservative to keep the Dixiecrats in line without FDR.

Expect to see a bit of a hint in the next update as to who Roosevelt's successor is going to be.

"I want—as all Americans want—an independent judiciary as proposed by the framers of the Constitution. That means a Supreme Court that will enforce the Constitution as written—that will refuse to amend the Constitution by the arbitrary exercise of judicial power—amendment by judicial say-so. It does not mean a judiciary so independent that it can deny the existence of facts universally recognized."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt, Fireside Chat No. 9, March 9th, 1937. [4]
[4] Also an actual quote from Roosevelt's ninth fireside chat.
ROTFLMAO
It was Roosevelt and his threat to pack the court that got the Supremes to remove the article spelling out the constitutional definition of Money from the constitution by Judicial Fiat.
Course once they had done it once ............. :rolleyes: ... so no surprise when in 1959 the Supremes declared the 10th Amendment as Null, Void, and Mute for any legal purposes. and removed it from the Constitution.

Infrastruture:

It was Roosevelt and the New Deal that repaired and paved and widened [to Two Lanes:cool:] most of the US highway system ie- route one east coast, route 66 Chicago to LA, ect

But if Washington is passing out more money, maybe Rushmore can get the funds to complete the planned Statues.

"Today wasn't a good day for my confidence, in any case. Secretary Perkins told me that she had a few other boys over at the labor department look over the plan and told me that quite frankly, it wouldn't pass because not only was it not structured well enough, but she doubted that the President would even submit the plan, in its current state. "What should we do it about it then?" I remember asking as she looked over her desk for a few more papers. "I believe," the Secretary paused, "that the best you're going to end up getting, coverage-wise, is if you require employers to provide their employees with health care, and promise that the government can pick up those that aren't covered." "Won't the conservatives see it as too big of a burden on business, especially the smaller employers?" I pursed my lips as he sighed. "I suppose that government coverage could be used as an offset to any costs that would go with it, for smaller businesses, I mean." I nodded. "Thank you, Madame Secretary. I'll hammer out a new plan and get it to your office shortly." Before I left, she called my name once more. "Tommy," She paused again, "Don't overwork yourself, alright?" I nodded silently and exited the room. Looks like it's back to the drawing board on this one."

- Brain Truster Thomas Corcoran, as quoted in Brain Trust: The Men behind Modern America by Nathan B. Watch, Random House, 1999 [1]

"GERMAN TROOPS ENTER AUSTRIA, HITLER PROCLAIMS UNION"

- Jackson Herald, 03/12/38 [2]

"I met with the President to touch up on how the WPA's new rail commitments were going around the ides of March, and to my surprise, he honestly didn't look in great shape. Moving his cigarette holder from his mouth to his hand, he coughed a great deal. "Harry, did you see the headline the other day, of what's going on in Europe?" I nodded, replying that I'd been keeping up with the events transpiring in Europe as of late. "It's a damned shame. You know, Harry, when I served in the W.W. [3] administration, we did our best to try and make sure this sort of thing wasn't going to happen again. It's beginning to look like that another war in Europe is inevitable, though." Running his hand through his hair, the President sighed. "That man, Hitler. He's dangerous, Harry. Probably the greatest threat to democracy we'll ever see, yet, we have a bunch of old men in the Congress that would sit down to tea with him if it meant avoiding war. Good, honest men, too, like La Follette or even George [Norris]. It's a damned shame." I didn't speak, allowing [Roosevelt] to continue for a moment. "Harry, promise me something." I looked up. "Yes, Mr. President?" "Don't ever find yourself towards this kind of thinking. Men like Hitler are not reasonable men. They do not try to reason, they do not care for reason, they are, above all, madmen who would set the world ablaze to watch it burn." The President coughed a bit more, and I gave a solemn nod, silently promising the President whatever he could have asked for."

- WPA Director Harry Hopkins, as quoted in Harry Hopkins: From Humanitarian to Warrior, 1933-1946 by Oscar Reinhart, Tidal Press, 2002 [4]

"By the summer, our re-election prospects were starting to look mighty good. Unemployment was continuing downward and more people were back at work, thanks to the good boys at the WPA and well, the boys in the U.S. Congress. The Republicans were campaiging everywhere on the damned Court reorganization, which didn't make a lick of sense to me. We won that battle, public opinion swung to us, and that's that. I mean, I guess they have to have some kind of banter, though. A few of 'em are railing on all the spending we're doing, but that ain't much for them when that spending is what keeps a good number of their constituency employed. The way I see it, they're dead ducks, come November."

- Representative Lyndon Johnson, as quoted in Making it Work: The End of the Depression and the Triumph of Keynes by Arnold Wulfe [4], Columbia, 1967

"HOPKINS: UNEMPLOYMENT DECREASING AT PHENOMENAL RATE"

- Jackson Herald, 06/21/38 [2]

"I had, by the summer, realized that the President was starting to drift away from domestic concerns. He was constantly talking about some a war brewing in Europe and the threat that Hitler posed and what not, but to be frank, it wasn't doing much for me. I was still worried about my health care bill. Of course, he tried flooring it all again, as usual, but I did get him to read the revised version, which was the employer-based plan I came up with Secretary Perkins' advice. The President thought the plan feasible and sound, but again told me to hold my horses until after the midterms. He was hoping that some of the more conservative Democrats might end up being primaried out, at least, that's what I was thinking. That would make this bill a reality. His boy, James, told me as much. If a few of the loudest critics of the New Deal were out, then we'd be in good shape, and great shape to pass my health care bill. As opposed to a few months ago, I was actually kind of high in spirits, and looking forward to what was going to happen, come to November. . . ."

- Brain Truster Thomas Corcoran, as quoted in Brain Trust: The Men behind Modern America by Nathan B. Watch, Random House, 1999 [1]

"AMBASSADOR DECLARES: FRANCE AND AMERICA ARE UNITED IN WAR AND PEACE AT CEREMONY"

- Jackson Herald, 09/04/38 [2]

"The President almost got himself into a bit of trouble with the man he'd appointed Ambassador to France. The guy, I believe his name was Bill Bullitt, was one of [Roosevelt's] good friends, who made a speech in France when they were laying some sort of plaque at a ceremony. This was when the whole Munich thing was going on, mind you, so it was a bit of a shitstorm when he said that France and the United States were united in war and peace, kind of implying that we'd be there to back up Czechoslovakia if war broke out. It was for a bit, a public relations disaster for the President, as every single isolationist came out of their holes to bombast on the radio and call for Bullitt's resignation, you name it. . . Eventually, the President had to come out and say that Bullitt was wrong about the whole thing and that his comments had been a mistake, that the U.S. wouldn't support an alliance with the 'Allies', you name it. I mean, what could he have done? Supported Bullitt? The public would have crucified him and sent every last Democrat home in two months."

- Representative Lyndon Johnson, as quoted in Making it Work: The End of the Depression and the Triumph of Keynes by Arnold Wulfe [4], Columbia, 1967

"What was so terrible about [Roosevelt] having to disavow Bullitt's comments was that Roosevelt, deep in his heart, knew that Bullitt was right. He might not have wanted to go to war over Czechoslovakia, but Roosevelt was a anglophile and a francophile, through and through. He'd have supported the allies by any means, but knew that the American people were a much harder sell to the idea of collective security and internationalism. . . ."

- WPA Director Harry Hopkins, as quoted in Harry Hopkins: From Humanitarian to Warrior, 1933-1946 by Oscar Reinhart, Tidal Press, 2002 [4]

"CHAMBERLAIN DECLARES "PEACE IN OUR TIME"

- Jackson Herald, 09/30/38 [2]

"MINIMUM WAGE LAW GOES INTO EFFECT"

- Jackson Herald, 10/24/38 [2]

"NYSE UNVEILS PLAN TO UPGRADE INVESTMENT PROTECTIONS"

- Jackson Herald, 10/31/38 [2]

"The day had finally come. We (and when I say we, I mean me, Ben, and maybe one of the staffers who was in the room at the time) were all huddled around the radio, waiting for the results to come in. Ben and some of the others really didn't have so much invested in the lot of this as did I, what, with the health care bill coming down to this and all, but they were at least somewhat interested. I was fairly confident that the Democrats were going to ride another wave, but was more interested, really, in how well the New Dealers did, if they were able to primary out some of the conservatives or not. . . ."

"The returns coming in are stunning for the Democrats. . . .they seemed to have picked up another large wave of victories in the House, and have increased their majorities in the Senate, as well. . . .In Oregon, former Columbia Valley Authority Director Walter Pierce has defeated an incumbent Republican. . . ."

- NBC Radio News, 11/05/38

"When all the results came in, [Roosevelt] was ecstatic. We'd shed ourselves of some anti-New Deal southern Democrats in the Senate, like Tydings and Cotton Ed, successfully primaring them out of existance, and actually picked up two seats in the Senate; one in Oregon, the other in South Dakota. The Republicans weren't able to win a single Senate seat, and in the House, we ended up gaining a good number of seats, I believe around fourteen, reducing the Republicans to a miniscule 74 seats. This was our time to shine, and the President had told me in private that the first thing he'd set his eyes on was Tommy Corcoran's health care bill. . . ."

United States Congressional Elections, 1938

Senate

Democratic Party: 80 (+2) [5]
Republican Party: 15 (-2)
Farmer-Labor Party: 2 (+0)

House
Democratic Party: 352 (+18)
Republican Party: 74 (-18)
Progressive Party: 8 (+0)
Farmer-Labor Party: 5 (+0)
American Labor Party: 1 (+1)

Notes:

[1] Author and work are completely fictional.

[2] The Jackson Herald is the newspaper of the planned city of Jackson, created by La Guardia's RRA. I'll be using it as a sort of prop for storytelling, in the absence of being able to find real headlines from the late thirties, but if anyone knows where I could find some, that would be of major help!

[3] W.W. refers to, of course, Woodrow Wilson.

[4] Author and work are completely fictional.

[5] With George Norris' appointment to the Supreme Court, the Governor of Nebraska, at this time a Democrat, appointed a Democratic successor for Norris, giving the Democrats an additional seat.

Rough Outline:

The President's focus begins shifting to foreign concerns as the midterm elections approach and Europe begins to implode, though he's hampered from doing anything because of American public opinion.

The midterm elections give the Democrats a larger majority in both chambers, leading Roosevelt to contemplate the introduction of Corcoran's health care bill early in the first session of the 76th United States Congress.

Preview:

"HEALTH CARE BILL INTRODUCED IN HOUSE, SENATE"

- Jackson Herald, 01/11/39

Comments, Tips, Anything?

Last edited:
[2] The Jackson Herald is the newspaper of the planned city of Jackson, created by La Guardia's RRA. I'll be using it as a sort of prop for storytelling, in the absence of being able to find real headlines from the late thirties, but if anyone knows where I could find some, that would be of major help![/B]

The AP Archive isn't ideal, but there's usually something usable.

Nice installment TNF...Im thinking Harry Hopkins might get the nod, since you have focused on him quite a bit in the last couple of updates. I think that the only reason why the Party Bosses would go against Kennedy was that Al Smith's landslide loss to Hoover was still very fresh. Many in the US did not think a Catholic could be elected President(I took till 1960 with Jack Kennedy as still people were catholic)But VP a definate maybe.

Nice installment TNF...Im thinking Harry Hopkins might get the nod, since you have focused on him quite a bit in the last couple of updates. I think that the only reason why the Party Bosses would go against Kennedy was that Al Smith's landslide loss to Hoover was still very fresh. Many in the US did not think a Catholic could be elected President(I took till 1960 with Jack Kennedy as still people were catholic)But VP a definate maybe.

President Harry Hopkins? It's an interesting idea. :)

"Early in the first session of the 76th Congress, the President called a meeting with [House Speaker] Bankhead and [Senate Floor leader] Harrison for me to present my health care plan, as well as with the ranking members of the appropriate committees, Secretary Perkins, and some fellow Brain Trusters. I was nervous, but when the men all showed up in the room, I became more composed than I had been in months, detailing how the plan would work, where the Government would be forced to intervene, and how cheaply it would be, given any other alternatives. The President thanked me for the presentation, and turned the discussion to the Congressional leaders, asking them if there where any questions for me, the standard Presidential delegation thing, you know? Speaker Bankhead looked at me for a moment, cleared his throat, and stood. "Mr. Corcoran, we're right now in the middle of recovery, and as I and Pat have talked with the President, we want to start cutting back on some of the spending we've been doing over the last few years to spur the economy on, but we don't want to do it too quickly, or we might slide right back into the Depression. . . .I suppose what I wan't to say is that we'll pass your bill, but not only because its the right thing to do, but because its cheap and can only add to the recovery at the moment. I have my concerns about it hampering businesses, but I'm sure we can work all of that out in the Congress when our economy has fully recovered." I was taken aback, surprised at his level of appreciation for the plan. "Y-Yes, sir. Thank you." I nodded to him as the Speaker took his seat once more. "Does anyone else have a question?" Harrison didn't peep up, nor did the men from the committees. "It looks like we have a deal, then, Tommy." The President laughed. "Enough of this, boys, lets have a drink, and be done with the night. . . ."

"HEALTH CARE BILL INTRODUCED IN HOUSE, SENATE"

- Jackson Herald, 01/11/39 [2]

"When it came down to it, I thought the bill wasn't perfect, but I intended to vote for it. Increasing health care provisions for every American was good in my book, but doing so in such an incremental way made you think that we were going to have to fight this one out forever, and that, we did. I mean, first, we did it this way, then during the war, we expanded coverage for vets, after the war it was the poor and the elderly. . . .It wasn't until much later that we actually got a 'universal' system, and by then, it was far overdue."

- Lyndon Johnson, as quoted in Fit as a Fiddle: Universal Health Care in the United States, 1939-2009 by Julius Garrett, Hindenburg, 2009 [3]

"As the bill manuevered through the house, I was a nervous wreck. On one hand, I was confident in [Speaker] Bankhead's ability to get it done, but on the other, I was worried that too much would be hashed out of it in committee. The Senate was an even bigger obstacle, but at least we had the votes to kill a fillibuster if some of the reactionaries tried to kill it. . . ."

"HEALTH CARE BILL PASSES HOUSE, 296-144"

- Jackson Herald, 02/11/39 [2]

"When I met with the President, shortly after the [health care] bill had passed in the House, he'd regained a bit of his jovial demeanor, despite his ongoing worrying for what was happening in Europe. "Harry, I know that a lot of people in this country don't want war, and neither do I. . . .no one wants war, but. . . .it seems that, whether we like it or not, we're going to have to get involved eventually. No nation is an island unto itself, no matter how much we'd like to regard ourselves in that manner." Over the past few months, when [Roosevelt] and I talked, it had been mostly about the foreign developments in Europe, but with the health care bill, he'd been a bit swung back to domestic concerns, even talking about the election that was coming up next year now and then. "Harry, I've been talking a lot with [Eleanor] about next year, and there's a part of me that thinks that this nation needs to be prepared for war and protect its interests. . . .that part of me is telling me to run for another term come next year." He took a puff from his cigarette. "There's another part of me, however, that tells me that I'm a tired old man, and that the world needs new leadership, that my generation's time has passed. There's also a woman who seems to be telling me that, too, and I almost don't relish it. . . .It would be nice to settle down, provided that there was someone in the White House or even in the [Democratic] Party that was willing to run and keep the peace." I nodded, lighting my own cigarette up. "What about [Attorney General] Frank Murphy?" I asked as he shook his head. "He's got a fine head on his shoulders, but the boy's a Catholic. After Al [Smith]'s loss, I doubt the party heads would go for it." Thinking again, I brought up a few more names to the President's attention. "What about [Justice] Bill Douglas, or [Governor Joseph] Kennedy?" [3] Roosevelt sneered at the thought of Kennedy, noting that he too was a Catholic, and thus, probably out of the running in the eyes of the Party bosses, and that Douglas might actually be a contender. "I could see Douglas, though. He's got a good head on his shoulders and he's a good man." Roosevelt noted with a smile. "But, Harry, I have someone different in mind for the job than Douglas." My interest aroused, I asked the President of whom he was reffering. "You, Mr. Harry Hopkins, are going to be the 33rd President of the United States. . . ."

"SENATE CLEARS HEALTH CARE BILL IN 62-35 VOTE"

- Jackson Herald, 02/27/39 [2]

"The President today spoke at the signing of the Employee Health and Wellness Act, joined by Secretary of Labor Francis Perkins, Senate Floor Leader Pat Harrison, and among others, his adviser on the health care issue, Thomas Corcoran. "Today, we sign into law a statute that not only guarantees health care for thousands of Americans on the part of the compassion of the federal government, we sign into law a statute that creates a system by which every American employed in this nation will have access to adequate medical care. . . ."

- Universal Newsreel, 03/01/39

"Well, it had finally, after two pain-steaking years, become a reality. Health care reform was at least starting out well. It was a boon of popularity with the American people for Roosevelt, and well, let's just say that I wasn't disappointed, either. I realized, though, that there were still a good bit of improvements we could make, but I decided that maybe we could wait for a bit and strike again when the climate was right. Everything now was shifting from headlines of Depression to Recovery, so we'd see how it all played out. . . ."

"CZECHOSLOVAKIA DISSOLVED AS GERMAN TROOPS ENTER CAPITAL"

- Jackson Herald, 03/15/39 [2]

"Even after he'd said it, I still had trouble taking the President seriously. "Mr. President, you want me to run for your job next year?" I asked cautiously as he struck a serious tone. "Why not, Harry? You're well known, the people recognize you as one of the most capable administrators this nation has ever seen. . . .Why shouldn't you run for office?" I thought about it for a second, leaning back to breathe in the smoke outpouring from my lit cigarette. Truth be told, I didn't know what to think. This was all so. . . .sudden. I bit my lip and turned my face upward. "Do you really think I could win, Mr. President?" [Roosevelt] laughed. "I wouldn't be saying it if I didn't think that you had a chance at it, Harry. The year is early, though. Let's talk about it some more as we move closer to the election. . . .I might change my mind." We both chuckled for a bit before continuing our meal."

"FRANCO ASSUMES POWER IN MADRID"

- Jackson Herald, 03/28/39 [2]

"It was early for it, but I knew that if I didn't say something about it, I'd miss the first step for trying to gather at least some support. I wanted to make sure that the [Democratic] Party was headed in the right direction, and for me, that meant that we had to take it out of the hands of [Roosevelt's] people, once and for all."

- Former Vice President John Nance Garner, as quoted in The Presidential Election of 1940 by John Mauville, Denington, 1953 [5]

"FORMER VICE PRESIDENT GARNER DECLARES PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDACY"

- Jackson Herald, 04/30/39 [2]

"I wasn't surprised when Garner declared his intention to seek the [Democratic] Nomination, to be quite frank. [Roosevelt] and I had already talked about potential roadblocks to my 'campaign' (If you could call it that. . . .at this point, it was more of a brainstorming session between myself, the President, and Jim Farley) in both [Vice President] Garner and even [House Speaker] Bankhead, or [Agriculture Secretary] Wallace from the left. The idea was to nab Wallace's endorsement and avoid a delegate fight in that arena and offer Bankhead the Vice Presidential spot as to cripple Garner's conservative bid before it even started. It was actually sort of strange, planning this all in mid-May a year before the election actually began, but there I was, the reluctant, undeclared candidate for the White House, bullshitting with the President and the man who ran the Postal Service. . . ."

Notes:

[1] Author and work are completely fictional.

[2] Author and work are completely fictional.

[3] ATL, Joseph Kennedy isn't given the UK Ambassador Job thanks to butterflies, and instead returns to Massachusetts and becomes once again involved in state politics. He manages to primary Governor Chuck Hurley in 1938 and goes on to win the Governorship himself.

[4] Author and work are completely fictional.

[5] Author and work are completely fictional.

Rough Outline:

The health care bill passes and is enacted as law, while Roosevelt discusses the dynamics of his successor with the man he sees as his successor, Harry Hopkins. John Nance Garner, however, has different plans. . . .

Preview:

"WAR: GERMAN TROOPS CROSS POLISH BORDER, IGNITING EUROPE"

- Jackson Herald, 09/01/39

How healthy was Hopkins in 1938-39? What I've read of him suggest he was fairly sickly, starting at least in 1942. He did, though, manage through the stress of WWII and being FDR's envoy, so I suppose he can make it through the war. It would be quite a primary fight, though.

How healthy was Hopkins in 1938-39? What I've read of him suggest he was fairly sickly, starting at least in 1942. He did, though, manage through the stress of WWII and being FDR's envoy, so I suppose he can make it through the war. It would be quite a primary fight, though.

Ditto. With John Nance Garner (the LBJ or Sam Rayburn of his day, if we wanted to look at it in those terms) and Henry Wallace in the mix the convention—not primary in 1940, silly Nicomacheus :)—would be nasty.

Great Installment TNF...I think you manage to someone capture FDR's voice really well in your writings, giving it more of an authentic feel to it. I found a great article about Harry Hopkins http://www.historynet.com/harry-hopkins-president-franklin-d-roosevelts-deputy-president.htm ...So it seems although he was incredibly sickly around 1941, he really didn't decline till about Malta. So I imagine the situation of a Hopkins Presidency would be alot simmilar to how FDR handled it during his Fourth term. He probably would still man alot of the pressing issues of the war, but would be forced to lighten his workload, cut back on smoking, strict diet etc.

So I think it's feasible, and assuming he feels up 2 a Second term, his VP choice will be essential Perhaps a not so blantly racist Governor/Senator...Claude Pepper perhaps?

Great Installment TNF...I think you manage to someone capture FDR's voice really well in your writings, giving it more of an authentic feel to it. I found a great article about Harry Hopkins http://www.historynet.com/harry-hopkins-president-franklin-d-roosevelts-deputy-president.htm ...So it seems although he was incredibly sickly around 1941, he really didn't decline till about Malta. So I imagine the situation of a Hopkins Presidency would be alot simmilar to how FDR handled it during his Fourth term. He probably would still man alot of the pressing issues of the war, but would be forced to lighten his workload, cut back on smoking, strict diet etc.

So I think it's feasible, and assuming he feels up 2 a Second term, his VP choice will be essential Perhaps a not so blantly racist Governor/Senator...Claude Pepper perhaps?

"Red" Pepper for the Vice Presidency? I like that idea a lot. It would be interesting to see how race relations develop under a President Pepper and how close the U.S. and Soviet Union become.

Faeelin

Banned
The best possible outcome for a different US President (on a global scale) is some kind of slow careful withdrawal from Africa. It wouldn't be that hard to avoid the continent becoming a hellhole, and everything FDR did made it much harder to do so. The consequences of what happens if imperialism is given up in a flash was not something FDR considered, much like how Wilson failed to think about the outcomes of the Europe he was busy creating.

I have to emphatically disagree here.

I can't speak for the rest of the colonies, but doing reading on British policy post WW2 in Africa doesn't fill one with confidence. They were basically milked to finance National Health Care and reconstruction in Britain, with the colonies basically forced to give Britain "loans" that would never get paid back.

Faeelin

Banned
Hrmm, interesting.

I do have to say I think Roosevelt would still run for a 3rd term, if Europe is still going down in flames.