Random Bouts in Cartography: Discussion & Entries

Greetings ladies and gentlemen!
I would like to invite you all to take part in this new contest that I came up with.

It is by no means an original idea since it's heavily based on Kaiphranos' Alphabetic Bouts in Cartography. Similarly to that great contest in this one the participants will also have one week to to create maps based on a simple theme (one or two words) and a random color.

The main difference however will concern the method by which the topic is chosen. As the name suggest the topics will not go in alphabetic order. Instead they will be pick by RNG from a list of one hundred topics that I've already prepared. Similarly the hex codes for colors will be chosen randomly (however I may re-roll if the generator comes up with something hideous). Obviously the most tragic departure from the ABC's format would be the lack of meaningful abbreviation.

I'll not take part in the contest since: 1) I may have an advantage considering that I came up with the topics (dubious if you consider my limited skills) and 2) I want to follow the precedent established by Kaiphranos.

If any of you have comments and/or suggestions please post them below.

The topic for the first round will be posted later today.

List of Winners:

1st Round: Zek Sora
2nd Round: n/a

Last edited:
Greetings ladies and gentlemen!
I would like to invite you all to take part in this new contest that I came up with.

It is by no means an original idea since it's heavily based on Kaiphranos' Alphabetic Bouts in Cartography. Similarly to that great contest in this one the participants will also have one week to to create maps based on a simple theme (one or two words) and a random color.

The main difference however will concern the method by which the topic is chosen. As the name suggest the topics will not go in alphabetic order. Instead they will be pick by RNG from a list of one hundred topics that I've already prepared. Similarly the hex codes for colors will be chosen randomly (however I may re-roll if the generator comes up with something hideous). Obviously the most tragic departure from the ABC's format would be the lack of meaningful abbreviation.

I'll not take part in the contest since: 1) I may have an advantage considering that I came up with the topics (dubious if you consider my limited skills) and 2) I want to follow the precedent established by Kaiphranos.

If any of you have comments and/or suggestions please post them below.

The topic for the first round will be posted later today.
Surely it should be called Random Bouts in Cartography?

OK. I changed the title and here is the first topic:

Invasion
The color for this round is: 4986DC (See attached sample.)

Entries will be accepted until 14:30 CEST, June 22nd.

Good luck to all!

colorrbc.png

Too bad you picked such an...ocean-y color! But I have an idea.

Are sic-fi or fantasy maps allowed?
Well I didn't pick it per se. It was randomly generated.

And yes sci-fi and fantasy maps are completely acceptable as long as they are in line with the theme of given round.

Hmm... Alright. I don't really see why we need two contests, the original ABC was at least a bit more different from MotF.
This is different from MotF in following ways:
1) It's weekly not bi-weekly
2) The topics are less restrictive.
3) The topics are picked randomly from the list that I prepared.
4) Besides the topic there is also a color that the contestants need to account for.

This is different from MotF in following ways:
1) It's weekly not bi-weekly
2) The topics are less restrictive.
3) The topics are picked randomly from the list that I prepared.
4) Besides the topic there is also a color that the contestants need to account for.
Alright, fair enough. :) Thanks for explaining the differences, I'll enter this contest for sure.

Bumping this on the off chance that some people that might be interested in participating haven't seen it yet.

pictish_invasion_by_zeksora-da7bw20.png

(Kind of a quick little map, short on detail but whatever.) The color, to me, looked most like the UCS color for Scotland/Caledonia, and the first time I thought of Scotland invading anyone else was during the decline of the Romans' power in Britain, and thus I present to you a Kingdom of the Picts that pulls together behind a strong, capable ruler and begins to invade the rest of the British Isles, beginning with the lands between the Antonine Wall and Hadrian's Wall (in addition to the Dál Riata lands in OTL Northern Ireland), and moving on to conquer the Kingdom of the Brigantes once Roman power in the Isles finally collapses. There is also significant historical evidence that the Picts raided very far south, so I included that on the map as well.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions. :)

It's already after the deadline but considering the lack of entries I will gladly accept yours, Zek Sora.

However from this point on no other entry for the first round will be accepted. The poll will be up soon.

Yeah, I think that if you say there are 49 hours left, you should probably keep it at that, even if it isn't correct, because people plan their work times around it :/