Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

Yeah Savoy is just awful for that. Have you found this map yet?
No, not bad even if it lacks rivers.

I was mostly working on this and this plus maps of Alpine regions.

it was part of the French dominions in northern France
So the tales of Asti, the moving county that wantered from Alps to Flanders, tells.

Seriously, yeah, it seems it was its own thing, more or less autonomous under French rule, but it barely covers one pixel so suzerainty outline covers it all.

And here's France, Northern and Central Italy.
5E1BYDI.png

As always, feel free to point any mistake, or ask for clarifications.

But before you begin about Italy, I had to read (not entierly, fortunately) the Treaty of Noyon. Not the wikipedia page, but the actual articles in Middle French, and all the contemporary decorum. I'm pretty confident I alloted the right lands and suzerainties to the right peoples (much less sure about the shape of the territories tough) as long they're mentioned in the text.
Dedication, thy name is LSCatilina.

Last edited:
And here's France, Northern and Central Italy.
5E1BYDI.png

As always, feel free to point any mistake, or ask for clarifications.

But before you begin about Italy, I had to read (not entierly, fortunately) the Treaty of Noyon. Not the wikipedia page, but the actual articles in Middle French, and all the contemporary decorum. I'm pretty confident I alloted the right lands and suzerainties to the right peoples (much less sure about the shape of the territories tough) as long they're mentioned in the text.
Dedication, thy name is LSCatilina.

Wow, that makes my village-by-village cross checking on google map tame by comparison.
That map also means I'll have some more cross checking to do, but also makes clear a situation that I could never completely grasp, by showing the proverbial forest for the trees (thank you LSCatilina).
I was going to ask you why that weird color for Spain, then I noticed it's the Habsburg color.

EDIT: I didn't notice: you even added the County of Gorizia. That's something that usually escapes mapmakers.

Last edited:
I already worked on Switzerland. And now I want to kill bankers. Feel free to correct me tough.
qxdCkbj.png

(I have a version where I kept common baillages but it was too much of a mess for readability)

Only things I can spot are that the Sieben-Zenden had been an associate since 1416 and theoretically it should be possible to show the associates of St. Gallen, Engelberg and the Bernese Jura.

Wouldn't mind seeing that alternative version, but I can easily believe it's an utter mess.

National borders are usually (RGB-wise) 11-11-11, when coastlines are 0-0-32 (on the basemap, normally it should be 0-0-0). If the map-maker is careful (I think I was there, but I can be wrong), these shouldn't be confused.
The lighter shade are (at least for aRCS and RCS) for autonomous entities, and we kinda need it to be distinct from princeley and national borders.

OK, this should cover it for Switzerland. Gruyere was technically independent but under occupation so I've shown it as a client.

I used the darker shade for the condominiums in the large map series I did, but I don't think it's strictly accurate under aRCS conventions. Feel free to remove those borders if you want to, this is basically the maximum I can consider.

Technically Gersau was also an associate but that's not even worth a single pixel at this scale.

1520 Europe.png

Why not go with the Yellow border for the HRE instead of that thick inline you can add in more detail that way
upload_2016-12-11_16-39-14.png

Also how is this for america the pink thing below is an area i was not sure if it was under inca control yet anyone?

Mesoamerica
- This map could be particularily useful as a source

Spanish colonial empire
- Add Bermudas and Guadeloupe
- Remove spanish presence from the interior of Cuba and Hispaniola, but use de facto border for that.
- Use Austria colour - light shade (Spain is under Habsburg control, but colonies are more or less let to themselves. I'm not sure it would show up with the suzerainity outline, but it could work.
- Spanish presence in lower Central America and nower Southern America certainly wasn't that deep in 1520. It was probably limited to the eastern 1/4 of modern Panama, the eastern shore of Uraba Gulf was temporarily abandoned and everything east of it isn't yet under Spanish control even a coastal one.

General observations
- Try to use the rivers and some political borders in order to deduct ancient borders (not following the modern one or rivers for the sake of it, but compare their position to ancient borders). It looks like you drawn the borders freehand, and let's be honest, it doesn't really work up.

Hell, even

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ial_Organization_of_the_Aztec_Empire_1519.png

is a better map of internal divisions and other Mesoamerican polities than those. I have somebody I know who may have much better maps for this period in Mesoamerica.

EDIT: Also, about the joke update to Alaska and British Columbia, that's not necessarily right. Although I don't really expect North America north of the Rio Grande to be given any justice. It'd require more concentrated knowledge than I think anybody really has. For example, at this time we know there was a powerful country controlling quite a large stretch of territory on the Mississippi right now, but good luck mapping it.

EDIT 2: It also looks like you guys aren't using the most up to date and accurate QBAM base maps.

http://imgur.com/gallery/aKZzV/

EDIT NUMBER 3, EDIT HARDER EDITION: It looks like for 1529 in Mesoamerica you should have competing control between Hernan Cortes' Kingdom (acting independent of and in conflict with Spain) and the Royal Audiencia of Mexico headed by Guzman (acting independent of Spain for himself).

EDIT FANTASTIC 4: 1529 would be in the heart of the Inca Civil War, so you'd have to depict that.

Last edited:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ial_Organization_of_the_Aztec_Empire_1519.pngis a better map of internal divisions and other Mesoamerican polities than those. I have somebody I know who may have much better maps for this period in Mesoamerica.
Thanks, and if you have, you could upload them?

EDIT: Although I don't really expect North America north of the Rio Grande to be given any justice.
Have you any reason to be passive-agressive on this?
For the record, Alex Richards and I did worked a lot to include North American cultures and polities into IOTL Maps and the aRCS/RCS.
Maybe that such maps (1000 AD) or the 814 map on the first page of this thread aren't giving "any justice", but I never saw much complaining or correcting them so far.

And believe me, neither Alex or me have some sort of special knowledge on it, so anyone that have? They're welcome to help, because we kind of need such help.

: It looks like for 1529 in Mesoamerica
It's a 1520 map, not 1529

For what matter the up-to-date QBAM Basemap, it would be easier if they were posted on the map database on the wiki. Nobody wants to dig out a thread to find updated informations.
That said, are you sure it's up-to-date? These were posted a year ago, and the basemap I use was posted more recently.

In fact, it lacks some corrections I made personally, but maybe it's a retro-update.