Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

Jin Dynasty 290 A.D..png

Made a small map of the Jin Dynasty. The disputed area is the area often assigned by certain maps to China, since the Kingdoms of Ailao and Dian-Yue have unknown borders, extent, and even ethnic groups. I read somewhere that Dian-Yue was possibly a fabrication by Chinese sources, but I never read the Chinese sources. I also read that Ailao may not have been as large as many maps show it to be.

View attachment 888083
Made a small map of the Jin Dynasty. The disputed area is the area often assigned by certain maps to China, since the Kingdoms of Ailao and Dian-Yue have unknown borders, extent, and even ethnic groups. I read somewhere that Dian-Yue was possibly a fabrication by Chinese sources, but I never read the Chinese sources. I also read that Ailao may not have been as large as many maps show it to be.
What did you base the exact contour of the northern border off of by the way?

Screen Shot 2024-02-13 at 21.38.53.png

I continued with the translating effort for the book of jin with Chatgpt. However, I approached it with a different strategy following the feedback I was given.
Since Chatgpt is generative and hallucinates sources, I decided to be more hands-on with the translation. I still put it into Chatgpt, but using Chinese Note's english translations, I have been able to find the meanings of words and characters in Chinese and so retranslate them into english. I have also gone sentence-by-sentence rather than just copy and pasting blobs of Chinese into it. In effect, I have been able to figure out what Chatgpt is "hallucinating". It ranged from incorrect dates, to bureacratic positions, and the way it reads. Names, however, are nearly 100% accurately translated. I've actually been able to fix these, or so I believe. I've even made footnotes.
Of course, I am running to the same pitfalls I had with my earlier translation: I don't speak/read chinese and so might be fucking up the english translation. I did find some good secondary sources on the topic which I am using, but many of them are not particularly helpful in scope (90% of sources in English on the Jin Dynasty talk about calligraphy instead of the intricate game of thrones situation going on...).
That said, if anyone can read Chinese, or knows anyone who can evaluate how good of a translation I did, I'd like to know:
This is what I've done so far, on the minister Yang Jun:

Hey, would the French occupation of Egypt be represented like this:
View attachment 895512

Why would it be represented like in the first one? (Genuine question)
I am not much convinced by how it looks the first one, but definitely is much more accurate as the ottomans did not have any control at all over these lands, they just claimed it. The mamluks were the rulers de facto in the Nile when Napoleon arrived, while different Arab tribes dominated the surroundings.

Why would it be represented like in the first one? (Genuine question)
When the Ottomans had conquered Egypt in 1517, they did not remove the Mamluks entirely from the governance of the province. In fact, you could say it was something of a state within a state. Ottoman authority was limited, even when they were able to depose and elect governors. So when Napoleon and his army pulled up, the Mamluks were the authority representing the Ottomans, and when they were defeated, their power was temporarily broken. Since French forces rarely moved far from the nile, they never conquered the areas Egypt also was responsible for governing. So no Ottoman authorities or French ones. Hence, the stripes

Hello, not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but does anyone has the most up-to-date present-day OTL QBAM map?, it does not needs to be the year of 2023-2024, nor does it needs to include wars and insurgencies, just the maximum amount of administrative divsions (i.e. US Counties and reservations, Brazilian indigenous reservations, etc.) is more than enough for me.

Hello, not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but does anyone has the most up-to-date present-day OTL QBAM map?, it does not needs to be the year of 2023-2024, nor does it needs to include wars and insurgencies, just the maximum amount of administrative divsions (i.e. US Counties and reservations, Brazilian indigenous reservations, etc.) is more than enough for me.
dfej6g3-02fb790c-9271-4e87-8e03-7523fe3b476d.png
4255892_536416_yeastcartography_2024-qbam-resource-map-february-2024.0f3826d586994bcd62ff1c79fc48165e.webp

Neither of these are using the most up to date base, but rest shouldn't be that off.

When the Ottomans had conquered Egypt in 1517, they did not remove the Mamluks entirely from the governance of the province. In fact, you could say it was something of a state within a state. Ottoman authority was limited, even when they were able to depose and elect governors. So when Napoleon and his army pulled up, the Mamluks were the authority representing the Ottomans, and when they were defeated, their power was temporarily broken. Since French forces rarely moved far from the nile, they never conquered the areas Egypt also was responsible for governing. So no Ottoman authorities or French ones. Hence, the stripes

If they still recognized the Ottomans as the sovereigns over the area, rather than considering themselves independent, then it should be shown as fully Ottoman as the exact form of administration wouldn't really matter in this case.

Neither of these are using the most up to date base, but rest shouldn't be that off.
Ah cheers, guess that I will have to manually add the more detailed ones like all US counties, Brazilian reservations, Chinese countries and prefectures, etc, also, the second one is from Yeast Cartography, who updates this Q-BAM map almost monthly, it is just fascinating how this is arguably the ultimate "de-facto world map of human countries" that you will find anywhere, including all insurgencies (as low-intensity as they may be), and also uncontacted tribes in Brazil (and I assume, West Papua).

For most that I am in fact adapting his map to my own personal maps, given how influental Yeast has been in my map-making hobby, I am personally not a big fan of the map itself, especially how it treats disputed and claimed territories.

Last edited: