Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

Right, well here's 4 different versions of Germany for your consideration- de facto border against Soviet Red seems a bit close but fine IMO.

Top Left: Full Occupation
Top Right: Single outline, two colour.
Bottom Left: Single outline, Germany only
Bottom Right: Double outline.

I know LSC prefers the double outline, but in this case, I'm just a bit concerned about how some details- particularly the Luxembourgish sector- are effectively eliminated.

View attachment 303547

Honestly, seeing the options now, the first one shows the most details on the zones (which is probably the most relevant feature on the map) and has the added advantage of avoiding issues around which colour to use for Germany/the Germanies until the occupation has actually ended. ;) After which it would be easy to show the German outline colour around both with the disputed border down the middle. Then in the 1970s it could go with the West German and East German colours.

dreibund_ethnic.png

An ethnolinguistic map of the Dreibund/Triple Alliance (until 1914).

Roughly 1900-1920
TACOS colour key

It seems interesting @Valdore Javorsky
Classification seems a bit weird or uncoherent tough : if German or Serbo-Croat speeches aren't differenciated, I don't see why Italian or French (if Aosta valley is supposed to show Franco-Provencal) speeches would be.

I think there's room for bilingual or diglossic situation, furthermore.

Here's something quick. It turns out that no base map currently shows the lakes of Newfoundland at all, so I decided to add them:

upload_2017-1-15_17-35-38.png

After this, I just need to get Quebec and Labrador done, but that's going to be a nightmare. Aside from removing all the reservoirs that weren't there in 1907, I also need to resize/draw from scratch the lakes that were expanded during the 20th century to create the bigger modern reservoirs.

After that I need to add the competing boundary claims for Quebec and Newfoundland. How the hell do you show claim lines between two entities that share the same colour?.

This may take a while.

I have no idea how accurate that source map is, but at the very least I seem to be able to find that there's a textbook confirming the existence of some of those internal polities.

A Little preview for my next project how is this?
On top of my head, we're really going in places and eras I'm less confident to be certain on, I'm unsure that Portuguese Angola was this deep into the hinterland, would it be only because it overrides clientelized, peri-clientelized entities as Ndongo which seems to have spanwed on a lot of what your map describes as part of Kongo and part of Angola, especially in the wake of the Batle of Komi.

I think it's as well an important mistake to depict Kongo as an unitary state divided in provinces as you made it, and I think you should either use the aRCS system to depict the network of vassalities, or if you go by the regular RCS system (if your map is set in 1648) with the same depictive model that @Alex Richards used for Sudanese Africa in mid XIXth.

As for your source map, I tend to be a bit skeptical about the whole use of "Duchy", "Marquisate" or "County" to depict Kongolese situation : it looks like a contemporary, more or less eurocentred, depiction of the situation than something that reliable.

As for your source map, I tend to be a bit skeptical about the whole use of "Duchy", "Marquisate" or "County" to depict Kongolese situation : it looks like a contemporary, more or less eurocentred, depiction of the situation than something that reliable.

No that's accurate actually. The long links between the Portuguese and the rulers of Kongo were actually leading to westernisation quite early on, and Álvaro I started introducing western style titles for his chief nobles from the late 16th Century. He's also the one who renamed the capital São Salvador.

i definitely agree about Angola but This is the only map i have available for the situation right now ill look over the Areas trice (once after drawing them, once after drawing the whole continent, and once after the whole world) and i have only done one check on it yet and quite frankly Ethiopia is just...
images

No that's accurate actually. The long links between the Portuguese and the rulers of Kongo were actually leading to westernisation quite early on, and Álvaro I started introducing western style titles for his chief nobles from the late 16th Century. He's also the one who renamed the capital São Salvador.
I wondered, tough, how much it actually survived the troubles of the late XVIth and early XVIIth century and dynastical changes.

This map of early XVIIIth century is worth what it's worth, but it does indeed point at the maintain of these kind titles in some parts, but not necessarily the demesnes.
The end of Kwilu kanda, and the Kikanga kanda seems to have provoked its fair share of troubles, and at least Mukatu was let to the count of Sonyo shortly before the map. It seems that the region was a bit of a mess.

Garcia II seems to have fairly well unified some demesnes, but it seems that most of the rest was more in a traditional role of clientelized/"vassalised" independent or largely autonomous entities (as Ndongo, as it seems).

So, personally, I'd rather depict the situation as the Manikongo having core demesnes and a somehow suzerain relation with surrounding states (except Matamba, arguably) that remains largely independent (as Ndongo), with portuguese being mostly stuck on coastal presence as with Luanda.

Canada is finished (finally):

upload_2017-1-20_2-6-58.png

Added the lakes of Ontario, Newfoundland, Quebec and Ungava/Northwest territories. Also had to redraw about a dozen reservoirs in Quebec/Labrador to show the smaller natural lakes that were enlarged to make the modern reservoirs. This was only possible because I found some quite detailed maps from 1922 and 1966 (before the major reservoirs were filled).

I'm also very pleased with how the Quebec/Newfoundland border dispute was sorted out. To show the maximum claim for Newfoundland I went with the watershed boundary (everything that drains into the Atlantic goes to Newfoundland, the rest to Canada). Most of this border is the OTL Newfoundland border (apart from the bit following the 52nd parallel). All maps from this period show Canada controlling most of Labrador, with Newfoundland only getting the coast (eg http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/ser...st_no="2113.000";lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=100&trs=137) so I went with this as well, showing it as the Canada/Newfoundland border. I'm also quite pleased with how the Quebec/Northwest territories border worked out (follow the East Main river to its source at lake Nitchequon, then a straight line to Ashuanipi lake, North up the Ashuanipi river to the Menithek lakes, down through Lobstick lake, then down the Churchill river (in 1907 it was called the Hamilton river) to Lake Melville and the sea).

On another note, this map should show all the natural lakes of the Americas, and should be useful for all pre 1920's maps (barring a few exceptions like the Salton sea). I'm quite pleased with this.

Next on my to do list is the Amazon basin. I need to finish drawing the various claim lines, then double check the Internal divisions for Colombia and Venezuela.

On a related note, has anyone ever found anything on the Yuruari Territory in Venezuela? I've seen it on quite a few period maps, but I haven't found a shred of evidence online that it ever existed. I've shown it on this map (the territory south of Delta Amacuro, and East of Bolivar, on the border with British Guyana), But I want some clarification.

After that the Americas will be done. I think I'll move on to Europe next.