President Kissinger?

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by SlickWilly, May 12, 2011.

1. SlickWilly Well-Known Member

Was there ever any possibilty of having this man as the first Jewish president of The United States Of America?

2. Wendell Wendell

He was foreign born so no. President of Germany on the other hand....

3. Derek Jackson Member

Had there been any earlier attempt to amend the Constittuion to delete the 'natural born' clause

4. zoomar Curmudgeon

No attempt, but I do seem to remember this was discussed to some extent because I think at the time the Secretary of State was 3rd in line of sucession after the POTUS and VP. I think this was mentioned when Nixon nominated him as Secretary of State

5. Lord Grattan consigned to OTL

No. Kissinger is Constitutionally ineligible to be POTUS.

6. Cook Real friends stab you in the front.

Same with Madeline Albright, except her English was better.

7. Trotsky Trotsky

And Arnold Schwarzenegger, except his English wasn't much better.

8. Lord Grattan consigned to OTL

When was Arnold Secretary of State? :D

9. Cook Real friends stab you in the front.

Or Jewish?
    :p

10. Apollo 20 Well-Known Member

It was discussed, but Sec of State is actually 4th in the line of succession, behind the VP, Speaker of the House and President pro tem of the Senate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_line_of_succession

11. LtNOWIS Center Right

People who aren't natural born citizens are excluded from the succession list. Back when Bush was president and we had some foreign-born cabinet officials, they were excluded and people below them moved up a slot.

12. Glass Onion Well-Known Member

Let's presume that sometime prior to Henry Kissinger's service as Secretary of State a constitutional amendment allowing for foreign born Presidents was passed. I realize the intensely difficult nature of passing constitutional amendments, and the implausibility of the set up here, but bear with me. If Henry Kissinger was eligible for the Presidency would he be elected? My sense is that he wouldn't be, but what's the consensus here. That is, leaving aside the illegibility question could Henry Kissinger have won a Presidential election?

13. abc123 Banned

Hardly. He was a university professor, a inside man, not someone with carisma to win a presidential race. IMHO

14. Cash Well-Known Member

Setting aside Kissinger's birth circumstances, the man simply had no crowd appeal. Nor did he "sound" American, with his German accent. He was not a popular public figure, not did he go out of his way to make himself one, unlike a potential Schwarzenegger candidacy. If his career was OTL until after Nixon's resignation, his role in the Nixon administration and the perception that he unnecessarily prolonged the Vietnam War for political reasons would have left him standing at the starting gate in the primaries.

15. Lord Grattan consigned to OTL

My thought exactly. He would put voters to sleep.

16. SlickWilly Well-Known Member

Rules were of course slightly bent for John McCain were they not?

17. SlickWilly Well-Known Member

Kissinger As Secretary general Of The UN?

Well instead? Indeed could somebody from a permanent security concil member state or with links to one ie Kissinger ever have become UN secretary general?

18. abc123 Banned

No, secretary generals usually come from not-permanent-member countries.

19. abc123 Banned

Well, Panama Canal zone was a US territory in that time, right?

20. Lord Grattan consigned to OTL

No, the rule was not. MCain was born in the Canal Zone, a US possession at the time, to parents who were both US citizens.