Philip Augustus stays with the Third Crusade

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Hermanubis, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Hermanubis Murderfing threads sense 2004!

So what if Philip dosen't get dysentery, and stays with the Crusade?

2. Gladi Serial killer

Bright day
    Didn't he he and Richard like hate each other?

3. Paladin Imperator Rex Graecorum

Yep. I doubt he would have stuck around. He and Richard would have gotten into a fight over something, he'd throw a hissy-fit and leave.

4. freodhoric the Ignored

Also, Richard and Philip argued over Cyprus. Richard took it and sold it and didn't split the take with Philip.

As for them hating each other, i think that was only after the Crusade. After all, Philip helped Richard get his throne.

Anyway, if Philip stayed they probably would've taken Jerusalem. OTL Richard could've. On the other hand, maybe they'd've been arguing the whole time, and Richard's tactics would've been compromised.

5. Gladi Serial killer

I don't really know, all I heard about the subjects that they used to be friends when growing up and then got into bad arguement about a woman. I heard from my quite proficient history teacher, but well it does not seem that trustworthy information.

6. el t Well-Known Member

Philip Augustus

After the capture of Acre, I'm sure there would have been disagreement over strategy. The French troops who remained after Philp's departure were not particularly cooperative with Richard. In the long run, I don't think that that much territory would have been conquered for logistical reasons.

7. freodhoric the Ignored

Richard was engaged to Philip's sister (i think wiki said half-sister), and broke it off for Berengaria.

According to the site below, the dowry, castles and such, had already been handed over before Richard broke the engagement.

I'd say that would justify a bad argument over a woman.

http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=abbott&book=richard1&story=berengaria