Washington
Western US
Wyoming

Nebraskaterritory.png

Finland
Market
Sweden
Treaty of Fredrikshamn

Market, a small rocky reef in the Alands, was divided between Sweden and Russian Finland by a straight line in 1809. The border was adjusted in 1985 to account for a lighthouse the Russians had accidentally built on the Swedish side and the Finns had inherited.

map.jpg

13 Colonies
British Empire
Canada
Great Lakes
Native Americans
Pinckney's Treaty
Proclamation Line of 1763
Spanish Empire
Territorial claims and demands
United States

1783.JPG

1913 Anglo-Ottoman Convention
1914 Anglo-Ottoman Convention
Aden Protectorate
Blue Line
British Empire
Hamza Line
Oman
Ottoman Empire
Qatar
Riyadh Line
Saudi Arabia
Treaty of Taif
United Arab Emirates
Violet Line
Yemen

See here. I think I'll come back later and provide some explanation for this map.

border1.JPG

1914 Anglo-Ottoman Convention
Aden Protectorate
British Empire
Oman
Ottoman Empire
Qatar
Riyadh Line
Saudi Arabia
Treaty of Taif
United Arab Emirates
Violet Line
Yemen

border2.jpg

And they say that Finns are not nationalist...

To be fair, that border is quite inaccurate. It includes all Karelians under the name of Finnish speakers, which is not correct. There is/was (not sure if they are still there) a small minority of Finns in Ingria, but in Karelia all of them are Karelians.

And they say that Finns are not nationalist...

I don't know of anyone who says that.

To be fair, that border is quite inaccurate. It includes all Karelians under the name of Finnish speakers, which is not correct. There is/was (not sure if they are still there) a small minority of Finns in Ingria, but in Karelia all of them are Karelians.

Karelian and Finnish are close enough that whether you consider them separate languages or separate dialects of the same language is a political decision.

Dementor

Banned
That's what I meant. And while there was a Finnish minority in Ingria, it's a huge leap from that to portray St. Petersburg as an Russian island in a Finnish Sea.

I don't know of anyone who says that.
Well, it's not considered a typical attribute and yet here's a map that would make many Balkan nationalists proud ;)

Karelian and Finnish are close enough that whether you consider them separate languages or separate dialects of the same language is a political decision.
There is also a question of identity. The Karelians are for example Eastern Orthodox, so I'm not sure how close they feel to the Finns.

Well, it's not considered a typical attribute and yet here's a map that would make many Balkan nationalists proud ;)

I'm pretty sure the guy who made the map's not Finnish. Anyway, if you read up on Finnish history for the past century then the nationalism does jump out at you. It's not like it's been extinct in Western Europe (see Ireland, Catalonia, Flanders, South Tyrol, plenty of other places).

There is also a question of identity. The Karelians are for example Eastern Orthodox, so I'm not sure how close they feel to the Finns.

Whether or not religion is a marker of ethnic differentiation is pretty arbitrary. It's clearly one for speakers of Serbo-Croatian and not at all for speakers of Albanian. A Dutch-speaking Catholic in the Netherlands is Dutch; a Dutch-speaking Catholic in Belgium is Flemish. The Cappadocian Greeks spoke Turkish and the Arvanites spoke Albanian, but they were identified as Greek because they were Eastern Orthodox. An Arabic-speaking Shiite is an Arab; a Persian-speaking Sunni is a Tajik. I could mention examples of arbitrariness all day. My own people was an example of a monolingual/polyreligious one before the Greek-Catholic Church was abolished by the communist regime.

New version of the map I owed you an explanation for, as good as I could interpret it. I hope it's all clear now.

Edit: Crap, I made a mistake in the Saudi-UAE-Qatar border. I mixed up the modified Riyadh line with another that the map didn't bother to identify. Compare this to the original and you'll figure it out.

border1.JPG

Last edited:
New version of the map I owed you an explanation for, as good as I could interpret it. I hope it's all clear now.

Edit: Crap, I made a mistake in the Saudi-UAE-Qatar border. I mixed up the modified Riyadh line with another that the map didn't bother to identify. Compare this to the original and you'll figure it out.
Seems to me alot of line drawing over some worthless sand.

Belgium
Britain

Central Powers

France
Germany
Ireland
Military
Northern Ireland
Scotland
Sinking of the Lusitania
Submarine warfare
Wales