PC:WI: "RED STORM RISING" F.R.Germany refuses Armistice?

Apologies for all those who haven't read Tom Clancy's RED STORM RISING although I'm still happy for your input, but their are a few items in the book that I'm questioning if there actually plausible.

In the closing part of the novel, SACEUR (Supreme Allied Commander Europe) Robinson meets newly promoted counterpart Alekseyev in Postdam to conduct talks of a possible armistice.

Basically the proposition involved a cease fire followed by a phased withdraw over a two week period to pre-war lines.

My question was regarding the Germans regard of this offer considering that most of the land war, damage, casualties and deaths occurred on German soil and their population thus suffered more than most.

Personally, if I was a German, I think this offer would be dead in the water unless the Red Army & Red AF units pulled completely out of East Germany allowing a reunification process to begin.

I'd give the Soviet forces 24 hrs to agree.

If not, then I would pull out of NATO and start offensive operations against whats left of the C formations of the Red Army.

I would also threaten the Soviets with a full retaliatory strike (using the Luftwaffe's 72 Pershing 2B's on Volgograd, Leningrad and other Russian cities excluding Moscow due to their ABM system) if the Soviets used their battlefield nuclear assets at German forces. Minsk, Kiev etc would be spared due to their being a low population of ethnic Russians.

How plausible would this be?

Regards filers.

I'd think it would be a non-starter. The Soviet forces were damn near dry on fuel, and would have been about helpless in the face of the Allied attack.... leaving them nothing but nukes to retaliate with. The Soviets are likely to face a huge uprising across the WP nations and their own states, something the Allies likely know full well, so take the ceasefire now, watch the fireworks later...

James G

Gone Fishin'
Apologies for all those who haven't read Tom Clancy's RED STORM RISING although I'm still happy for your input, but their are a few items in the book that I'm questioning if there actually plausible.

In the closing part of the novel, SACEUR (Supreme Allied Commander Europe) Robinson meets newly promoted counterpart Alekseyev in Postdam to conduct talks of a possible armistice.

Basically the proposition involved a cease fire followed by a phased withdraw over a two week period to pre-war lines.

My question was regarding the Germans regard of this offer considering that most of the land war, damage, casualties and deaths occurred on German soil and their population thus suffered more than most.

Personally, if I was a German, I think this offer would be dead in the water unless the Red Army & Red AF units pulled completely out of East Germany allowing a reunification process to begin.

I'd give the Soviet forces 24 hrs to agree.

If not, then I would pull out of NATO and start offensive operations against whats left of the C formations of the Red Army.

I would also threaten the Soviets with a full retaliatory strike (using the Luftwaffe's 72 Pershing 2B's on Volgograd, Leningrad and other Russian cities excluding Moscow due to their ABM system) if the Soviets used their battlefield nuclear assets at German forces. Minsk, Kiev etc would be spared due to their being a low population of ethnic Russians.

How plausible would this be?

Regards filers.

With regards to your nuclear holocaust, do the Americans just sit on their hands while the West Germans steal their nuclear warheads (they own those but not the missiles) using guns and probably murder of allies to callously kill millions of innocent civilians? This would mean a whole different level of realism to a world where the US was willing to see counter counter retaliation against the US mainland too and a West German leadership on par with the Nazis.

With regards to your nuclear holocaust, do the Americans just sit on their hands while the West Germans steal their nuclear warheads (they own those but not the missiles) using guns and probably murder of allies to callously kill millions of innocent civilians? This would mean a whole different level of realism to a world where the US was willing to see counter counter retaliation against the US mainland too and a West German leadership on par with the Nazis.

Indeed.

Beyond that the Soviet leaders will not simply sigh and run for the bomb shelter as the Germans launch their missiles. Along the corridor the orders for a Soviet nuclear strike will be sent & both Europe & the US, along with assorted US military bases globally will be nuked.

Keep in mind, though, that Robinson and Alekseyev were not negotiating the final resolution of the war, simply a cease fire. It was an armistice, not a peace treaty. The point of an armistice is simply for both sides to stop fighting and give the political leaders the time and space to work out the terms for a permanent state of peace.

The Treaty of Versailles, which formally ended WWI and defined the exact terms by which Germany would have to abide in order to avoid further conflict, wasn't signed until 6 months after the Armistice of 11/11/18. In WWII Europe, hostilities ended when Germany surrendered unconditionally, but it was almost 2 years before the Paris Peace Treaties established reparations, compensations, and the post-war borders. Japan surrendered unconditionally in August 1945, but the final terms of the peace were not agreed upon until the Treaty of San Francisco was signed in 1951. In "Red Storm Rising," I think West Germany would have known there was plenty of time to work out the borders later, but that the most important thing was simply to stop the killing of their Germans and the destruction of whatever was left of their country.

Last edited: