Ottokar II wins at Marchfeld

Animefan

Banned
Rudolph of Habsburg is killed in the battle his ally king Ladislaus of Hungary escapes but nearly his entire army is lost in the battle.

Ottokar keeps his possesions in Austria and lives for another 20 years.
Would this victory have enabled the Czechs to form a Habsburg like Monarchy that included Austria, Bohemia/Moravia and parts of Hungary and the Duchy of Cracow or could the Habsburgs somehow have risen even without Rudolf?

Rudolf was just chosen because he was quite weak and didn't seem too dangerous from the POV of the other princes. They'll still consider Ottokar a danger and will try to forge coalitions against him. Until they win or he has defeated every last of 'em.

This wouldn't only prevent the Habsburgs, which in OTL improved their position and status by gaining Austria and Styria and allowed them to stay one of the important houses in the empire; but also the house of Luxemburg. The counts of Luxemburg were just as the counts of Habsburg seen as no real threat by the great houses of empire, however both of them were no nobodies either. King and later emperor Henry VII of Luxemburg was the first emperor after the start of the 'interregnum' and he managed to get his son John elected as king of Bohemia (by have him marry a Premyslid heiress); by gaining Bohemia also the house of Luxemburg could permanently become one of the great houses in the empire (and surpass the Habsburgs for instance).

Furthermore I agree with Max Sinister, that the other princes would find Ottokar dangerous. Furthermore if he manages to keep these together he could an ATL Lands of the Bohemian Crown, which IMHO eventually would face most difficulties in keeping the territories it held outside the HRE (so to be clear the Non-HRE territories)...

Last edited:
Isn't Bohemia part of the HRE? I'm not sure how it would be outside said (at this point meaningless) state.

Oh let me rephrase that, I meant the territories Bohemia would hold outside the empire. The kingdom of Hungary and maybe even a successful king of Poland would want a rematch. Unless they manage to gain one or both of these crowns; for instance the Premyslids did have a claim on Poland and even Hungary, the hardest part is to convince the Polish and Hungarians....

Last edited:
Oh let me rephrase that, I meant the territories Bohemia would hold outside the empire. The kingdom of Hungary and maybe even a successful king of Poland would want a rematch.

Ah, gotcha.

That will be...interesting. Ottokar has a few too many enemies to deal with all of them, methinks.