"Now Blooms the Tudor Rose."

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the House of Osman... If Selim manages to cling to life he might be able to sire a child or two, but the tradition of brother killing will have to be put on hold since there's too many risks of the house dying out because of it. Maybe he'll do something radical like declaring a daughter as his heir...

He really can't do that. While woman could be surprisingly powerful amongst the Ottomans.

Normally I'd say yes, but this is one of those situations where the normal rules could be tossed out the window, like how Maria Theresa inherited the Austrian throne in RL.

Granted she had to fight for said inheritance... Which could happen here if Selim decides to declare a daughter/sister/etc. his heir if he can't sire a new son.

VVD0D95

Banned
Ah very interesting timeline, just finished reading the last update, I must say this is amazing, love the detail the wittiness behind it all :)

I'm part way through reading this. The updates are quite long, and the politics of the day very confusing (thank you Prussia and Napoleon for cleaning up Germany).

Normally I'd say yes, but this is one of those situations where the normal rules could be tossed out the window, like how Maria Theresa inherited the Austrian throne in RL.

Granted she had to fight for said inheritance... Which could happen here if Selim decides to declare a daughter/sister/etc. his heir if he can't sire a new son.

Wouldn't the female relations husband just be in charge then? Kinda a situation like Mohammed's son-in-law Ali. Didn't end well for him.

I'm part way through reading this. The updates are quite long, and the politics of the day very confusing (thank you Prussia and Napoleon for cleaning up Germany).

Yeah the sheer size of the cast of characters makes it so that you really have to give it a reread to catch everything. On the first reread I'd mostly stick to the Tudors, Bourbons and Habsburgs but how well everything fits together even as the scope of the TL balloons make it very well worth getting through. I love how well it captures how much folly, bad luck and pig headed self-defeating stubbornness have shaped human history, that and the snarky narration.

Yeah the sheer size of the cast of characters makes it so that you really have to give it a reread to catch everything. On the first reread I'd mostly stick to the Tudors, Bourbons and Habsburgs but how well everything fits together even as the scope of the TL balloons make it very well worth getting through. I love how well it captures how much folly, bad luck and pig headed self-defeating stubbornness have shaped human history, that and the snarky narration.

On the first read I'd also pay attention to the Wettins and Guise families since there are hints through the TL that they'll wind up shaping world history in a big way.

So after a few days finished reading TTL and its the best pre 1900 TL I've seen.

One of my favourite bits is the line "This makes me up set", I hear Jonathan Rhys Meyers (played Henry 8 in the Tudors OTL for those wondering) so Henry 9th seem to be very much his fathers son in many ways.

I'm curious to when Catherine Howard will appear next as she hasn't been seen in a while and she's one of my favourite characters from TTL (namely due to her being a for hire spy and in some accepts being the female James Bond, if he were 16th century of corse).

I can only hope the dust has settled in Germany for the foreseeable future as the rest of Europe seems to be in for a hell of a rough time (especially France once Henri 2 dies).

Looking foreword to when this returns.

Last edited:
So @Space Oddity I was wondering
considering Altan Khan's OTL invasion of China will he accidentally end up deciding who wins the civil war by virtue of taking out Beijing?

So @Space Oddity I was wondering
considering Altan Khan's OTL invasion of China will he accidentally end up deciding who wins the civil war by virtue of taking out Beijing?
You know, honestly if the Ming were as militarized as it is IOTL due to this...civil war, it would be nigh impossible for any nomadic faction at the time to penetrate far into the defenses.
Jiajing's later reign and Longqing's short reign were characterized by territorial stability once the military was slightly reinvigorate.

You know, honestly if the Ming were as militarized as it is IOTL due to this...civil war, it would be nigh impossible for any nomadic faction at the time to penetrate far into the defenses.
Jiajing's later reign and Longqing's short reign were characterized by territorial stability once the military was slightly reinvigorate.

Maybe but I was thinking if enough of the army was taken away it could create a 'gap' plus wasn't the OTL invasion stopped outside Beijing?

Well since the thread has popped back up I think I'll post my theory about who wrote the Details of the Great Britannic Babylon, Being a True and Accurate Account of the Court of Henry IX of England, and His Consort, Mary, Queen of Scots.

The one person with a grudge against both Henry IX and Mary I, and who should have been mentioned as one of the offended parties but is conspicuous with HER absence.

Antoinette Stuart.

Well since the thread has popped back up I think I'll post my theory about who wrote the Details of the Great Britannic Babylon, Being a True and Accurate Account of the Court of Henry IX of England, and His Consort, Mary, Queen of Scots.

The one person with a grudge against both Henry IX and Mary I, and who should have been mentioned as one of the offended parties but is conspicuous with HER absence.

Antoinette Stuart.

Didn't think of that first time through but quite possibly, only problem is would she push the British people have tails lunacy?

Funnily enough I'm personally in a sense affected by this ancient POD XD I went to Sherborne and we taught Edward from the OTL... so now we don't get too :(

As for poor Charles Stuart, he continues to enjoy English custody in the Tower of London, as England and Scotland quietly argue over who has the right to try him and then kill him. They want to be fair over this, after all.

Oh yes, we must be fair about this. Perhaps one side should try him, while the other can kill him? Of course, that would likely lead to lengthy debates as to which side should do the trying and which side should do the killing. I mean, there's having the honor of laying true Scottish/English justice down on the head of this monumental pain-in-the-ass, something that would go down in the history books and be talked and debated about by law students down the centuries, but then there is just the old-fashioned feel-good sensation of being the ones who get to off said monumental pain-in-the-ass. Decisions, decisions.

It is the end of the Austrian cause as such. Archduke Ferdinand will, on hearing of what has occurred, bury his face in his hands, and weep for hours on end, before rising and ordering his people to get in contact with the Saxons. As usual, fate has insisted on rubbing lemon juice in Ferdinand's wounds--the smallpox epidemic that carried off most his brother's family has also taken one of his beloved illegitimate daughters, young Catherine. Ferdinand's melancholia has, it seems to most onlookers, reached a strange sort of plateau--constant disappointment and loss have convinced the Archduke and "King" that the only hope Austria has is to end the war, that the only way to end it is to make common cause with the Saxons, and that the only man who can do that is him. And so, he manages to keep himself from another collapse.

After all--he has a hot mistress again now. That counts for something.

Oh dear lord, it's Catherine Howard, isn't it? She's somehow popped up and caught Ferdinand's attention and is now going to spread her unique brand of chaos in a place that needs no more chaos please and thank you.

Honestly, regardless if this is the case or not, Catherine Howard is going to be a legend to future generations. The Howards are probably going to moan in embarrassment over her for centuries to come. :D

This entire TL is sheer brilliance, @Space Oddity! Thank you so much for sharing it with us! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.