"Now Blooms the Tudor Rose."

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Space Oddity, Jun 4, 2011.

Tags:
  1. jkarr Well-Known Member

gonna be awesome to see how it plays out when Henry gets word of it

also, though of a nickname for Diane..."The Lady Michelangelo"...not named for the guys artistic talent, but for his love of marble x3

2. Thoresby Well-Known Member

Wow the German Hapsburgs have really suffered an astonishing run of bad luck. Every time they've rolled the dice it's come up snake eyes. Still I suspect it will be turning around for them soon, they do still control a hell of a lot of land, people and resources and they have to get lucky at some point.

3. Mcc94 New Member

I absolutely love TTL! :D
    Nice to see Catherine Howard strike again.
    I'm feeling kinda sorry for the Habsburgs now, but I suppose things could be worse. Somehow.

4. St. Just Angel of Death

Great update. Confused Diane de la Marck with Diane de Poitiers originally, registered how disgusted I was, and kept reading in interest.

Realized de la Marck was the granddaughter this morning, and was duly relieved.

5. minifidel Like what IUSY?

This TL is fantastic! I can't help but hope Diane and Edward get a happy ending :D (and Ferdinand II too, because really, poor guy...).

6. Brainbin Kingpin of the Cultural Cartel

You actually managed to update prior to end of 2012! That keeps you 450 years ahead of your timeline! Congratulations :D

There are two significant points in this passage - one very good and one very bad, both of which I've highlighted.

If 1562 can be said to be a good year for anyone, prodigal son excepted, I would have to say it's Henri II. He looks like a King again!

I worry about France. Every country has its token Only Sane Man, and they just shunted theirs.

Is this, finally, what we've been waiting for? That for which we've been told to prepare ourselves? THE DISPUTE OF THE HYMNALS?!

So they did find themselves at Rio de Janiero after all! We'll see how long they have to settle before the Portuguese come calling...

Even more so than his cool under pressure in the face of death, I feel that this passage best personifies Edward Tudor, Duke of York.

You know, this going to make her marrying the Earl of Lennox much more difficult ;)

I assume that this would be necessary on the part of England because Henry IX passed an Act confirming his wife's place on the Succession, and therefore, those in her line of descent from Henry VII? Or was no Act passed in the first place that excluded the children of Margaret Tudor? In Scotland, obviously, Antoinette marrying without the permission of her sister would be enough to remove her issue from the succession - fortunately, we know that an act excluding her won't be tested ITTL.

And he could use more children. He just lost one, he needs to make up for that with making another! The Electress is still under 30, no time like the present!

This dramatization is just like IOTL with Elizabeth and Leicester, always having to make everything explicit.

Also: Edward has a libido! I never would have guessed that! No, seriously, I honestly thought he was asexual (or at least aromantic), as I'm sure many of us did.

Are you sure he's not from Elsinore? And where is Governor Guildenstern? :D

A war of attrition! Those always end well :rolleyes:

So they're having the late Heir Apparent's widow marry the new Heir Apparent (pending legislation). That sounds familiar to me... didn't somebody try that, and run into a whole lot of trouble once? Well, at least they've apparently confirmed that la Dauphine is still a virgin. (I assume that somebody bothered to actually record that somewhere.)

But the good news is that there's going to be another Estates-General! One without an OTL analogue, this time. That's a very nice precedent.

Well, he got a Duchy IOTL, as well, so it's not too surprising - but some people collect titles the way others collect coins or stamps.

Interesting that Elizabeth is with child again, when we note another royal couple, who married before them, and are still awaiting a second pregnancy.

I'm increasingly looking forward to seeing how Cawwos takes over from Philip - I know that (assuming he dies on schedule) we still have thirty-five years to go, but I strongly suspect that critiquing how another man rules, and actually ruling for yourself, require two considerably different skillsets.

The "Man of Marble" nickname actually makes a lot more sense now - and it made sense before anyway. Well done :)

Is this a sign of general friction between Edward and his son? Perhaps Edgar takes after his father in that regard?

And even their tyrannical father allowed his sister to marry the man she loved. Granted, said man was his best friend, but still.

But not before they conceive more children of their own, to secure their thrones! Come on, Tudor fecundity, now isn't the time to slow down!

Oh well, there's always 1563. Here's hoping that it's a better year! (2013, too :))

7. Thoresby Well-Known Member

I don't think Eddie will have to much trouble, his big brother needs him, he's all ready produced a very noble heir and she's hardly a threat.

8. Daztur Seoulite

The bad news is I've become deeply confused by all of the German names and can't remember who's who.

The good news is that this TL is so damn good I've started re-reading the whole thing from the start to get me less confused. Am 1/3 of the way done so far...

Still eventually this thing is going to have to have a wiki page for each dynasty.

9. Grouchio Well-Known Member

I wonder if we'll reach 1570 by the end of the year...

Damn this is taking awhile.

10. Thespitron 6000 Roman Cathode Deacon

We'll just have to cross our fingers and hope he makes it.

11. Grouchio Well-Known Member

AND LOOK WHO'S BAAACK!!! :D

Get cracking on your ATL, Pronto!

12. Thespitron 6000 Roman Cathode Deacon

I been thinking of taking another month off...

13. Grouchio Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Knightmare likes this.
  14. xt828 Well-Known Member

An truly excellent timeline to date, I look forward to future updates. I do have a small comment/request - due to the length of the posts, it's actually not that easy to scroll down to the footnotes and back up again, so I wonder if you might consider some alternative way of setting them out?

15. Poor Little Rhode Island Well-Known Member

GREAT update, as usual and as expected!!!!

It's eye-opening to see the Austrian Habsburgs taking such hits! And, LOOK AT FRANCE!!!! At the verge of a religious understanding taking shape???

Simply put.......................: WOW!!!

16. minifidel Like what IUSY?

Now now, let's not underestimate Henri's, radical Huguenots' or reactionary Catholics' (my bet is on these) ability to ruin everything.

17. ed_montague Devout Benthamite

Space Oddity I love you so much. :D

Catholic mass in the vernacular? Oh my. Despite the Cathars collectively dooming themselves, I'm still thinking that some folks are going to balk at all this. After all, things still aren't at maximum potential clusterf*ck levels. More chaos! More characters!

...I can't even begin to respond to that whole update, but on the topic of Sweden: You're going to give Erik hell, right? Could a certain person named Magnus play any part in this? ;)

18. Poor Little Rhode Island Well-Known Member

You're quite right, of course! My breath was taken away for just a few moments there.......

I'll, . . . I'll go lay down until the excitement passes.......

(LOVE that the Austrian Habsburg are momentarily screwed as well!) LOL!

19. Zireael Well-Known Member

I love the update, especially Princess Antoinette's secret marriage and the fact that Poland-Lithuania holds up...

20. stevep Member

Space Oddity

Well that was a thud of an update. Just checking is there anywhere in Europe, other than Spain or parts of Italy, not at war?

We now know Antoinette's husband and its not the long term favourite. Unless of course something happens to her current husband. Since she's rather fulfilling her OTL sister's role I could see her getting through a few.;)

I hadn't noticed the point Brainbin raised about this being the First Originalist rebellion, which as he says doesn't bode well. :(

I suspect while he might be right in terms of Knox being a major factor in the long threatened dispute of the Hymnals, I did notice hymnal is the term used to describe Norfolk's latest work so I'm wondering whether that might be the initial trigger.;)

Difficult to see the Hapsburg's coming back from this annuous horribious, especially without a clear and strong [rational] leader to mobilise their support. Did consider briefly that Maria might do something but she only managed to alienate several more allies and throw away a golden opportunity. However I have the feeling they will find some way to rebound. [Although possibly as a predominantly non-German power].

The Wettin's seem to be having an attack of strategic vision, although how long it will last I don't know. Especially since Elizabeth is less than happy with the moderation shown.

Was wondering if the French Huguenot's were going to self-destruction as they seemed to be skilfully removing all their best supporters but the Cathar's are proving equally as successful at shooting themselves in the foot, or possibly somewhere a lot more painful. We do know that Henri of Orleans does become king, if I remember rightly, so presumably the attempt to cut him out of the inheritance will fail.

Otherwise chaos and confusion as normal.

Another excellent update, now what the hell's going on?:confused:

Steve