Northern Limit Line

The Sandman

Banned
So much for the invasion of Iraq. If and when the heavier combat ships engage, there is no way of telling how this will end.

Are we sure about this? Given how Cheney, Rumsfeld and company figured that they could totally do Iraq on the cheap with a relatively minimal troop commitment, they might still go for it anyway.

The sheer degree to which the powers-that-be in the Bush Administration wanted to invade Iraq cannot be overemphasized.

MrP

Banned
Well the situation is escalating, that's for sure...
The sheer degree to which the powers-that-be in the Bush Administration wanted to invade Iraq cannot be overemphasized.
Aye, to the point of completely dropping the ball on Afghanistan. It was like even actually finding Bin Laden was taking a back seat to invading Iraq. Biggest strategic blunder of the last half-century. So in this TL I wouldn't be too surprised if even a second Korean War didn't deter the Bush administration from creating its Middle Eastern quagmire.

Nice! Keep going with this!

Thanks! :D

Well the situation is escalating, that's for sure...

Aye, to the point of completely dropping the ball on Afghanistan. It was like even actually finding Bin Laden was taking a back seat to invading Iraq. Biggest strategic blunder of the last half-century. So in this TL I wouldn't be too surprised if even a second Korean War didn't deter the Bush administration from creating its Middle Eastern quagmire.

Yep. Still deciding which route to go, but I doubt Bush would just ignore Korea and invade Iraq.

The Second Korean War, ironically, might save a lot more American lives and money than the Iraq War.

Though Bush completely avoiding Iraq is.... Who knows?

Just a side note: I doubt America would easily give up on South Korea, considering that China is still a looming threat I'm Asia. If the war ends in South Korea's victory, the US will most likely take up the job to help with modernizing the south. And that's going to take A LOT of money.

Last edited:
Current casualties:

Republic of Korea Navy:

PKM 357: 0 deaths, 8 injured.
PKM 358 (engine damage, one turret disabled): 6 dead, 14 wounded, 1 missing.
PKM 359: none.
PKM 360 (sinking): 11 dead, 13 injured.
ROKS Yeosu (listing, struck by torpedo): 12 dead, 27 injured.
ROKS Andong: 0 dead, 2 injured.

Korean People's Navy:

Taechong-1: 14 dead, 31 injured.
Taechong-2 (sunk): 41 dead, 6 survivors.
Sang-O 7 (sunk): 15 dead.

Last edited:

MrP

Banned
Yep. Still deciding which route to go, but I doubt Bush would just ignore Korea and invade Iraq.

The Second Korean War, ironically, might save a lot more American lives and money than the Iraq War.

Though Bush completely avoiding Iraq is.... Who knows?
You might find it useful to look up gtrof's Northern Storm TL, which is about a hot war breaking out in the Korean peninsula just as the invasion of Iraq is taking place.

You might find it useful to look up gtrof's Northern Storm TL, which is about a hot war breaking out in the Korean peninsula just as the invasion of Iraq is taking place.

Thanks. That has certainly been an interesting read :D

A couple of differences with my TL, however:

1) I plan to have both Koreas on high alert and war-ready by the time of "full escalation" (If war does happen ;)). So South Korea wouldn't be damaged as badly by special forces and secret commandos.

2) This is BEFORE Iraq, so America can commit more troops to the ground operations.

3) North Korea has just begun to research to make nuclear weapons at this date. So, quite possibly, they can't even make dirty bombs.

4) The TL's ending was kind of weird and the political situation seemed a misjudged (China wouldn't support North Korea at all, in these situations).

5) Let's not forget that thousands of people are in Seoul for the World Cup. So a strike on the capital might be met with a fierce response by the world...

Edit: Daegu, I'm wrong about number 5.

Last edited:
History is not written by who was right, but who was left.

+++++

Skies above the Northern Limit Line
Republic of Korea
June 29th, 2002
10:35 AM KST

"This is Falcon-3, approaching air space above the NLL with Falcon-4, Falcon-5, and Falcon-6. We have 6 bogeys on our radar coming in hot from the direction of the north. Permission to engage?" Lieutenant Colonel Suh Jun Hee asked the Airforce HQ in Gyeryung.

A voice crackled back after a few seconds. "This is HQ, your request has been approved. You are cleared to engage. I repeat, you are cleared to engage."

The 4 F-16 Fighting Falcon jets streaked over the sky towards the NLL. The jets had already made sure that the military helicopters with medics arrived safely at Yeonpyeong Island, a forward base for the South Korean navy. The crippled PKM 358 had retreated to the island and the helicopters were loading up the wounded to send back to the mainland.

Now, the Republic of Korea Air Force was intercepting the incoming North Korean jets. It was highly likely that the jets would be the Chengdu J-7 class, some of the newest North Korean fighters (though, still outclassed by the Falcons). Because of this, all 4 Falcons were on high alert as the bogeys entered their sights and radar. Below them, a naval battle raged between 5 South Korean ships (2 corvettes and 3 patrol boats. One of the corvettes was on fire, along with a patrol boat) and a dozen North Korean vessels (the frigate was smoking and on fire while a couple North Korean patrol boats were also smoking).

"Falcon 6, assist our ships as planned. The rest of us will intercept the hostile bogeys and keep their attention on us." Colonel Suh commanded over the radio. The other pilots confirmed the plan and flew into their respective positions.

Falcon-6 launched two AGM-84 Harpoon missiles directed at one of the North Korean gunboats and the smoking frigate. Both yielded hits and the frigate began to sink while the gunboat exploded into a spectacular miny fireball.

There were whoops over the channel of the 4 South Korean jets. That whoop quickly faded as the 3 remaining jets fired missiles at the 6 incoming North Korean jets. A total of 6 Python-4 missiles were fired, and the result was that 3 of the jets were hit, all of them spiraling out of control and crashing. However, the other three remaining jets launched their missiles at the South Koreans.

Colonel Suh cursed as a missile nearly grazed his wing. Most of the missiles fired had missed, but one had slammed into the tail of Falcon-5, making the pilot bail as the plane crashed dangerously near the naval battle. The colonel gritted his teeth and the dogfight ensued, as both sides launched their remaining missiles and cannons at each other. The Falcons had the edge with superior speed and mobility, as one of the North Korean Chengdu was struck by a missile. However, the remaining two did the complete opposite of what the South Korean pilots expected. The remaining jets came towards the South Korean jets rapidly, making the jets fire rounds of the Gatling gun and rockets at the incoming enemy. One did spiral into the ocean after the Garling rounds struck the engines, effectively crippling the aircraft. However, the last North Korean her managed to fly past the South Koreans, even with a damaged wing that would force the jet to land soon.

Colonel Suh swore like a sailor and immediately chased after the hostile craft with the three remaining pilots. "Shit! Command, this is Falcon-3! Hostile bogey has broken formation and is streaking towards Yeonpyeong! I repeat it is headed towards Yeonpyeong and the helicopters haven't evacuated the wounded yet!"

Current casualties:

Republic of Korea Navy:

PKM 357: 4 deaths, 12 injured.
PKM 359: 6 dead, 17 injured.
PKM 360 (sinking): 14 dead, 10 injured.
ROKS Yeosu (listing, struck by torpedo): 16 dead, 33 injured.
ROKS Andong: 5 dead, 11 injured.

Republic of Korea Air Force:

Falcon-3: none
Falcon-4: none
Falcon-5 (down): 1 pilot dead.
Falcon-6: none

Korean People's Navy:

Teachong-3: 12 dead, 27 wounded
Taechong-4: 7 dead, 15 wounded.
Taechong-5: 6 dead, 16 wounded.
Taechong-6: 8 dead, 21 wounded.
Taechong-7: 7 dead, 19 wounded.
Taechong-8: 11 dead, 28 wounded.
Taechong-9 (sunk): 39 dead, 21 survivors.
Taechong-10: 7 dead, 15 wounded.
KPN Najin (listing heavily): 26 dead, 61 wounded.

Korean People's Air Force:

Chengdu J-7: 4 aircrafts down, 2 pilots dead.

Last edited:
I'm ashamed to say that 90% percent of my Korean knowledge is vulgarities. That's what living in Los Angeles will get you, I suppose. Thus, in the words of everyone in Korea ITTL, shiba.

Get some serious for real kimchee!
It would be a shame if the plane went through and struck the helicopters carrying the wounded, wouldn't it? :D

I'm ashamed to say that 90% percent of my Korean knowledge is vulgarities. That's what living in Los Angeles will get you, I suppose. Thus, in the words of everyone in Korea ITTL, shiba.
Ooo. Things are going to go downhill from here.

I am no expert on modern mayhem--but this reads well...More please?
Oh you bet I'll make more. Get ready for a spectacular Korean crisis TL.

War. War is always the answer.

+++++

Yeonpyeong Island (Forward Base)
Republic of Korea
June 29th, 2002
10:40 AM KST

Sergeant Dae In Kim helped another injured soldier into the helicopter. He was a medic stationed at Yeonpyeong with a dozen other garrison forces. The number of people that lived on the island was in the hundreds, but it was still classified as a "military area." Although he had volunteered to be stationed at the island, Sergeant Kim had never expected to actually take care of wounded and dying soldiers... Until today.

"Hurry the hell up and get them on a stretcher! We need to evacuate right now cause we have a North Korean jet incoming!" Lieutenant Park Ji Sun yelled to the others. They were unloading the helicopters as fast as they could, but there were quite a lot of injured soldiers and people within the helicopters themselves. Sergeant Kim had his back turned, helping a doctor to the nearest building when the 3 helicopters exploded into a fireball. Overhead, the North Korean jet streaked over the island with smoke coming out of its wing.

Sergeant Kim ducked as hot pieces of metal flew everywhere, slashing into the ground and nearby people. The lieutenant nearby him swore. "There were at least two dozen people on this helicopters damn it!"

As the lieutenant screamed profanity, three South Korean jets streaked towards the limping North Korean fighter. The pilot was obviously at the verge of crashing and even more so as he was hit by another round of the Gatling guns. However, he had anoter objective in mind as his plane began to burst into flames.

"Holy shit. Everyone duck!" Sergeant Kim said as he dived to cover the doctor. The jet screamed over his head, making him feel the air rush, and crashed into the main barracks building with some of the garrison forces still within it. The air was filled with screams and cries of pain as dozens of bodies laid across the ground and dozens of others looked around in a daze.

At this moment, the North Korean commander in charge of the artillery corps aimed at the island gave the orders to fire, making the island explode with hundreds of shells raining down on the civilians and survivors of the initial North Korean suicide attack.

+++++

Current casualties:

Republic of Korea Navy:

PKM 357: 5 deaths, 13 injured.
PKM 359: 6 dead, 17injured.
PKM 360 (sunk): 14 dead, 10 injured.
ROKS Yeosu (listing, struck by torpedo): 17 dead, 35 injured.
ROKS Andong: 5 dead, 11 injured.

Republic of Korea Air Force:

Falcon-5: 1 aircraft down, 1 pilot dead.
3 CH-47 Helicopters: 17 dead.

Yeonpyeong Island Forces

28 dead, 63 injured.

Korean People's Navy:

Teachong-3 (sunk): 14 dead, 31 wounded
Taechong-4: 9 dead, 21 wounded.
Taechong-5 (sinking): 15 dead, 31 wounded.
Taechong-6: 8 dead, 21 wounded.
Taechong-7: 8 dead, 19 wounded.
Taechong-8: 14 dead, 31 wounded.
Taechong-9 (sunk): 39 dead, 21 survivors.
Taechong-10: 7 dead, 15 wounded.
KPN Najin (sinking): 29 dead, 73 wounded.

Korean People's Air Force:

Chengdu J-7: 5 aircrafts down, 3 pilots dead.

Last edited: