Norman Egypt

Preliminary/Rough draft section of the TL.

1086: Tutush I, the governor of Seljuk Syria, is defeated by Malik Shah I. However Süleyman ib Kutalmish continues his revolt in Anatolia. In Constantinople, Alexius senses and opportunity and attacks Kutalmish in Anatolia while the majority of his forces are committed elsewhere.

1087: Roger I, the ‘Great’ Count of Sicily, marries Adelaide del Vasto of Savonna. This helps forge new links between the Sicilians and the Genoese. Alexius retakes Nicea and Nicomedia.

1088: Bruno, Bishop of Segni is elected Pope. He takes the name Urban II [1], and preaches for a compromise in the Investiture Controversy. All of Ionia is retaken by the Byzantines. Robert Guiscard dies in April, and is interred in Alexandria. Bohemond succeeds him as King of Egypt, and Roger Borso as Duke of Apulia.

1089: Eleanor de Hauteville gives birth to Mark and Bohemond II in Melfi. Kutalmish is defeated finally by Malik Shah. The Seljuk lord comes to an uneasy truce with the Byzantines, allowing them to keep their Anatolian gains for now.

1090: Malik Shah begins to raid Norman outposts in the Sinai Peninsula, testing their strength. Bohemond, sensing trouble, heads to the Sinai at the head of a sizeable force.

1091: Malik Shah marches into Egypt at the head of a huge Seljuk army. Contemporary estimates range from 30,00 to 100,000, though the likely size was around 45,000. Bohemond has around 10,000 soldiers. He sends a letter to the Pope, pleading for help. This sets off the First Crusade.

1091-1097: [The First Crusade]

1092: Simon de Hauteville is born to Roger and Adelaide. The conquest of Sicily is completed. In an uncharacteristically brilliant tactical move during a pitched battle at Bilbeis, Bohemond (having the high ground) orders for the levies to be broken. The Nile bursts out, drowning many of Mailk Shah’s troops, and the Seljuk Lord himself. What is left of the Seljuk army retreats, and is captured by the pursuing Norman cavalry.

1095: Roger de Hauteville is born to Roger and Adelaide.

1098: Roger the younger is discovered to have leprosy, and is sent to a colony. He dies in obscurity twelve years later. Count Roger is granted Apostolic Legateship of the island

1101: Roger I dies. Simon succeeds him in Sicily and Calabria under the regency of his mother.

1101- 1110: The regency of Adelaide. Inexperienced politically, yet determined to raise her remaining son as a worthy successor to the first, Adelaide relies mainly on the help of the Arab and Greek court advisors to run the country. Young Simon thrives during the regency. He is just as charming, diplomatic, and cunning as his OTL counterpart [2], but due to the longer lasting influence of his Norman father, is more martially adept.

1112: While passing through Messina to Jerusalem, Bohemond II befriends his cousin Simon. The two are quite different;

Simon is taller than average, yet Bohemond is a giant among men; Both inherited good looks from their parents’ lines, with Roger being darker due to his Italian ancestry; Simon grew his hair long, and supports an impressive beard for his age, while Bohemond has strictly trimmed hair. Both have a great interest in geography and language. Simon teaches Bohemond Greek, while learning Coptic from him.

[1] Different from OTL Urban (Named Otto de Lagery). His Italian birth will become important.

[2] Roger II.

First Crusade (1091-1097)

Outline/ Rough draft of the First Crusade

The First Crusade

June 1091: Pope Urban II receives Bohemond’s letter. He summons many Archbishops, Bishops and Abbots to Rome to discuss a number of theological questions. At the end of the Council of Rome, he preaches a Crusade to conquer the Holy Land and relieve the beleaguered Greeks and Egyptian Normans.

1091-2: Urban II travels throughout Italy, Southern France and Southern Germany. The rulers of the maritime Republics of Venice, Genoa, Pisa and Almafi sign on to the Crusade, doubtlessly licking their chops at the riches of the East. Princess Matilda of Tuscany, ever the Papal supporter, is one of the women who take up the cross. Welf II of Bavaria, and the elderly Frederick I, Duke of Swabia. Feeling the pressure of the ongoing Investiture Conflict between the Pope and Emperor, many princes depart Italy to make their fortune among the riches of the Orient

1093: The Italian/Occitan Contingent assembles. It has problems organizing under one banner, but the Doge of Venice, Vitale Michele. They depart in the fall with a huge armada, numbering around 1000 ships.

1094: The Almafitans are the first to break off from the main crusading body. They stop in Anatolia to help regain it for the Byzantines, which has renewed its assault. They do this in exchange for a merchant’s quarter in every city retaken, and commercial rights in the hinterland.

The Tuscans, Occitians and Lombards break off when they reach Northern Syria. Matilda marches into the interior, captures Antioch, and more importantly Aleppo, and proclaims herself “Princess of Syria”.

1095: The remaining Crusading contingent composed of Venetians, Genoans, and Pisans arrives in Palestine. There, with a combined assault from the recovered Normans from Egypt, they conquer Jerusalem. Bohemond (with none of the Religious pretensions of Godfrey of Bouillon) crowns himself ‘King of Jerusalem and Protector of the Holy Places”.

1096: The last semblance of Crusader cooperation breaks down after the Sack of Damascus. The mercantile Republicans feel they’ve been cheated by the Normans and Lombard Princes, and wage a war against them.

1097: A peace settlement is made between the Italian Princes of the Levant. The Normans are allowed to keep Jerusalem and Southern Palestine as the Kingdom of Jerusalem. The Venetians, Genovese and Pisans have unrestricted trade access to the ports under Norman control in the Levant (the Venetians already have trade privileges in Egypt). In cities overwhelmingly under the control of one particular Republic is given to them as a colony. Cities that are split between are given their own governance, with a Republican system of rule. By the end of the year, there are the Most Serene Republics at Tyre, Sidon, and Acre. The Italian Republics push their control further into the Syrian interiot, much to the chagrin of the Lombard princes there.

Great update. Map?
Here ya go

State of the Levant, C. 1100

PostCrusade.PNG

PostCrusade.PNG

Hey, guess who didn't proof read? The changes are in bold type.

1091-2: Urban II travels throughout Italy, Southern France and Southern Germany. The rulers of the maritime Republics of Venice, Genoa, Pisa and Almafi sign on to the Crusade, doubtlessly licking their chops at the riches of the East. Princess Matilda of Tuscany, ever the Papal supporter, is one of the women who take up the cross. Welf II of Bavaria, and the elderly Frederick I, Duke of Swabia join as well. Feeling the pressure of the ongoing Investiture Conflict between the Pope and Emperor, many princes depart Italy to make their fortune among the riches of the Orient.

1093: The Italian/Occitan Contingent assembles. It has problems organizing under one banner, but the Doge of Venice, Vitale Michele, is chosen as leader. They depart in the fall with a huge armada, numbering around 1000 ships.

1095: The remaining Crusading contingent composed of Venetians, Genoans, and Pisans arrives in Palestine. There, with a combined assault from the Normans from Egypt who have recovered, they conquer Jerusalem. Bohemond (with none of the Religious pretensions of Godfrey of Bouillon) crowns himself ‘King of Jerusalem and Protector of the Holy Places”. The Germans, after frolicking and cavorting about in Hungary and Anatolia, finally arrive in the Holy Land to find the Italians have taken everything worth taking. Dejected, Welf II marches to the Euphrates and established the County of Edessa.

Births, Marriages, Deaths, and Successions (1083-1119)

1083: Bohemond de Hauteville is married to Eleanor of Albi.

1087: Roger I of Sicily is married to Adelaide of Savonna. Prince Robert “Curthose” of England is married to Matilda of Tuscany.

1088: Robert Guiscard dies. Bohemond succeeds him as King of Egypt. Roger ‘Borsa’ succeeds him as Duke of Apulia.

1089: Mark de Hautevile and Bohemond II de Hauteville are born to Bohemond I of Egypt and Eleanor of Egypt.

1092: Simon de Hauteville is born to Roger I of Sicily and Adelaide of Savonna.

1095: Roger de Hauteville is born to Roger I of Sicily and Adelaide of Savonna. Matilda of Tuscany creates the title “Princess of Syria”. Bohemond of Egypt creates the title “King of Jerusalem”. Welf II of Bavaria creates the title “Count of Edessa”.

1101: Roger I dies. Simon succeeds him as Count of Sicily and Calabria.

1107: Mark de Hauteville sires a bastard named James with Isabel of Tripoli.

1110: Matilda of Syria dies. Her husband Robert succeeds her in Syria. There is no designated heir in Tuscany. Robert marries Beatrice of Armenia.

1111: William of Syria is born to Robert of Syria and Beatrice of Armenia.

1113: Bohemond I of Egypt dies. He is succeeded by Bohemond II in Egypt, and Mark "Palatine" in Jerusalem.

1114: Simon I of Sicily marries Sancha of Portugal. Bohemond II marries Henrietta of Edessa.

1117: Simon de Hauteville is born to Simon and Sancha of Sicily.

1119: Henry de Hauteville is born to Simon and Sancha of Sicily.

Me like this timeline.
Looking forward to more updates.

Nestorian Mongols ... will that keep Rus divided?
Will we see a resurrected Armenia? I hope so

Good TL.

I like this TL; has some similarities to my Greater Norman Empire. couple of notes:
1. Much of the Fatimid civil service was Coptic Christian. This will facilitate the transition of authority under Guiscard, if he doesn't persecute them.
2. The patriarchate of Alexandria will be a thorny issue, as the Copts are non-chalcedonian. Be interested to see how he handles this. Also, appointing a non-Coptic patriarch of Alexandria could well cause problems. Might be better to have a Catholic Archbishop of Alexandria and a parallel Coptic patriarch.

Also, I wonder if the Norman Egyptians might also come into contact with Axum, which had links to the Alexandrian patriarchate.

Enjoy: keep it up.

I like this TL; has some similarities to my Greater Norman Empire. couple of notes:
I really ought to get around to reading that...
1. Much of the Fatimid civil service was Coptic Christian. This will facilitate the transition of authority under Guiscard, if he doesn't persecute them.
Excellent. I've been trying to find out more about the Fatimid administration.
2. The patriarchate of Alexandria will be a thorny issue, as the Copts are non-chalcedonian. Be interested to see how he handles this. Also, appointing a non-Coptic patriarch of Alexandria could well cause problems. Might be better to have a Catholic Archbishop of Alexandria and a parallel Coptic patriarch.
Compromise between the two would probably be the best solution for the short term. For the long term, I can see the two offices merged into one, allowing for some interesting practices and doctrines to come into play.

A bit of rambling prose after some rambling sections of TL.

Messina, 1134

Giovanni Calzolari, or, as he was known in his capacity as a Soldier of Christ Palatine, Iovanninus Calzolarius, stepped off the diminutive galley ahead of the porters bearing his weapons, robes and other miscellaneous baggage he’d picked up in his thirty two years, thirteen of them as a Knight of the Palatine Order. He’d roamed and romped all across the Mediterranean, been through small fishing villages in Palestine and seen the City itself perched on the Bosporus.

Messina, because of its location and natural features, was a remarkable harbor. Many ships greater than the old bucket in which he’d sailed could come directly into port. A plank was thrown on deck, and cargo could be unloaded by porters. No small boats were necessary to ferry freight from ship to dock, unless they were anchored far out at sea. For this facility of loading and unloading, Messina was booming as a trade town. Like the island it rested on, it was the midway point between, and the clearinghouse for Christians operating in Europe and the Oltremare, particularly the Palatine Order. It was caught between the lower hills of Etna, spewing out fire and poison, and the treacherous waters of the Straits that bared its name.

He observed the ships lined up along the quay like horses in their stables for a moment before directing the baggage boys where to haul his possessions. There was a minor house of the Order here in Messina, as well as a hostel operated by fellow Genovans. He has business with both. He was here to secure Genovan support for a joint Sicilian-Palatine expedition to Africa. He was also here to kill the director of the Order house.

He, like the head of the Order Mark d’Altavilla, a distant cousin to Count Simon, was the exemplary warrior-monk. Although his good looks, of which any man would be envious while courting, left a series of bastards in Venice and Acre, he had since settled down into monastic chastity and asceticism. He’d found the lifestyle and philosophy of physical and spiritual purification of the Order to be precisely what he was looking for after so many years of wandering. The Order also had use of his rather diverse array of skills.

The director of the Order house was in many ways the opposite. He was a fat, lecherous pig who used his position to prey on the weak, and who had probably never served a day in his life in the Oultremare. He’d solely gotten into the Order because of his pious uncle. He skimmed money off of legitimate Palatine operations on Sicily, and had a taste for young boys from the Greek quarter.

He was why Giovanni brought his crossbow.

I'm considering changing the title of this to 'Crescent and Cross' with the new batch of revisions.

(EDIT: This is simply a bump so more people can comment/question ;))

Last edited:
Looking at the situation in the Levant, I think there could be an interesting evolution of geopolitics. I can see Egypt centralizing its hold on Palestine, with the two becoming more intertwined. Trade would be the name of the game for them, so they would find plenty a friend among the Italian merchant republics. I can also see the Levantine republics expanding over the monarchies in Syria, eventually unifying, possibly with the help of the Sicilian Normans. In that case, you have the Oultremare Normans allied with the Italian Republicans, and the Italian Normans allied with the Oultremare Republicans(!)