Nice Reference Site(s)

she was one of the scientists who discovered nuclear fission, and who also provided an explanation for it, which is way bigger than what is stated there

Hey, it shouldn't replace a proper biography of each, but it at least pinpoints to them. Agreed about the nuclear fission thing.

I'm looking to do a TL from a series of POD's and hoping to encompass the entire world. A bit of a bugger is finding decent sources for places like the Ottoman Empire, Iran and South America. Can anyone recommend some good books that focus on these places from 1850 onwards?

"Explore 750+ free online courses from top publishers. ALISON is the leading provider of free online classes & online learning."

https://alison.com/

Mind you, I know this website isn't exactly what the OP was looking for, but I found it to be very educational.

I highly recommend historicalstatistics.org , it has all sorts of good stuff (including Angus Maddison's survey of all nations GDP, GDP per Capita, and Population from 1 CE to 2001 in massive Excel file form.)

Are Maddison's population numbers in thousands, hundreds or what? It doesn't say anywhere in the file. Help!

Useful chrome filter.

I think that for somebody may find useful this new Google Chrome extension called the 'Trump Filter'...

http://trumpfilter.com

The add-on is available in the Chrome web store and has three adjustable levels of filtration...

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
An American atlas of 1838 which includes contemporary economic and debt figures for the US, France and Britain as well as estimated demographic data. Note the underestimation of the size of China's population, which would not be corrected until later in the 19th century.

Found and added some readable resources on the Togoland and Cameroon theatres of WWI to the wiki. They're available under the two countries' pages as well as on the military resources page.

I've had a back catalogue of interesting sites for a good while now, so I'll be updating the resources section of the wiki before the holidays with several additions.

I'm also working loosely with Nanwe on making some election maps of interwar era Czechoslovakia for the site.

Soviet Military Topographic Maps of Britain and the World, a site run by London-based cartographic researcher John Davies and his team, who have collected and preserved highly detailed Soviet military maps from the late Cold War era, mapping virtually the entire world in a number of different scales. Famously, these maps were often even more accurate than some of the maps NATO militaries had at their disposal, and they were also completely off-limits to Soviet citizens (even average soldiers couldn't keep them or loan them, they were such a super-guarded secret at the time). Nowadays, the maps are surplus, but are very nice curios for anyone with a deep interest in modern cartography.

Here's the fascinating article that led me to the website.

There's a plenty cool website that has alot of old posters and such that's unfortunately being shut down for financial reasons so anyone who is looking for some cool old posters to use as reference for whatever TL universe they're making better find what they want and fast:
http://digitalpostercollection.com/

UPDATE: They still seem operational as of 11/25/16, and there's no shutting down notice; it seems the guy found out a way to keep the site going.

UPDATE 2: It's down now as of 6/22/17, though I might have missed the memo before then but alas.

Last edited:
Video playlists clearly and sensibly explaining pre-1900 weapons and warfare

I've noticed plenty of AH.commers interested in the military topics of older eras like watching videos of knowledgeable people talking about precisely those topics. Often, though, you don't get a playlist that collects such videos in a chronological or interrelated enough manner.

This is why I've decided to create a few playlists of videos on pre-20th century warfare. I've taken extra care to only include videos that are accurate and are heavy on useful and interesting information, and low on fluff. The playlists:

Bronze Age weaponry and warfare - covers the weaponry and warfare of the Bronze Age, particularly in Eurasia.
Warfare and weapons in antiquity - covers warfare in the ancient world, between prehistory and the early Middle Ages. Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Carthaginian, Persian and other ancient military topics.
Medieval and early modern armour and melee - covers the various types of armour, melee weaponry and melee fighting of the Middle Ages and Early Modern period (5th to 18th century, in chronological order). Currently the longest playlist.
Medieval and early modern archery and firearms - covers the various types of ranged weaponry and ranged fighting of the Middle Ages and Early Modern period (5th to 18th century, in chronological order).
18th and 19th century warfare and weapons - covers infantry, cavalry and artillery tactics and weaponry of the 18th and 19th century (European and Asian), with some military camp life and civilian weaponry and martial arts info on the side.

I'm mostly finished with these, but I'll occassionally make new additions to the smaller playlists if I come across something interesting and worthwhile.

As these playlists are sorted chronologically and by topic, you'll be able to watch the topic that interests you in close succession, from video to video. You can watch the playlists as one long-running documentary in which you can jump off anytime you like, then return later to watch more about a particular topic.

Here's a discussion thread for debating individual usage of pre-1900 historical handheld weapons.

Last edited:
Lindybeige's made a really informative video recently, about how Stirling Engines work. I know AH.com has discussed them before (and even joked about them), but for those who don't know much about them, here's the vid.

Obviously, he uses a very small Stirling Engine and notes that they would have to be quite big and heavy compared to steam engines if they were to displace them in the 19th century. It also works better in colder climates, what with it being a "thermo-mechanical" type of device. As something capable of powering smaller static machinery, though, it could be quite effective. It's also surprisingly silent during operation.

Last edited:
I have a question: do people here have accounts to places like JSTOR to get research for whatever TL they're working on?

I suspect those at universities use the school account. As for the rest of us, probably not. I certainly dont even though I have done a fair amount of research.